Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,355 members, 7,819,257 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

#GEJAchievements In Roads Construction And Maintenance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #GEJAchievements In Roads Construction And Maintenance (1407 Views)

Anambra State Rural Roads Construction Continues (Photos) / You’re Lying About Roads Construction, Ortom Blasts Wike / FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#GEJAchievements In Roads Construction And Maintenance by GEJAchievements(m): 1:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
#GEJAchievements in Roads Construction and Maintenance

We have made progress in the construction of various road projects across the country, such as the Kano-Maiduguri road, the Abuja-Lokoja road, the Apapa-Oshodi road, the Onitsha-Enugu-Port-Harcourt road and the Benin-Ore-Shagamu road, among others. Work has also commenced on the Lagos-Ibadan road. In the South-South, we have dualised the East-West road, Warri-Oron (spanning Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwa Ibom states – 338km) and reconstructed the Owerri-Elele road (spanning Imo and Rivers states – 35.15km). We have made investments into roads construction and maintenance. SURE – P intervention funds are targeted at construction and maintenance of roads and other infrastructures.
#GEJAchievements Compare #Nigeriab4GEJ

Reconstruction and Rehabilitation of Roads
Prior to our administration, travelling on Nigerian Roads was a nightmare: commuters were made to stay overnight in transit, oftentimes falling into the hands of armed robbers who took advantage of vehicles slowing down on bad roads to attack passengers. We made the reconstruction and rehabilitation of roads a top priority and work commenced in earnest on the construction and rehabilitation of roads across the length and breadth of Nigeria. Before we came on board, only 5000km of federal roads were motorable. Now, 25,000km are in good condition and motorable.
#GEJAchievements Compare Nigeriab4GEJ

Better Roads Design; Expansion of National Road Network
Today, travel times, cost of vehicle maintenance, accidents and carnage on our roads have all been drastically reduced due to better roads design and construction. Economic goods are now better distributed through our arterial roads with better turn-around times which lead to more profits for entrepreneurs while commuters now enjoy better services on road transportation and at reduced fares. Some of the transport companies have also slashed their fares in response to the remarkable improvement and expansion of the National Road Network.

On-going Road Projects
We are implementing many road projects in the North Central costing over N200 billion. These include:
• Dualisation of Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja road in FCT and Kogi State.
• Construction of Loko-Oweto Bridge over River Benue with approach roads in Nasarawa and Benue States.
• Oturkpo-Oweto Road in Benue State
• Otukpa-Ayangba-Ajaokuta-Okene Road in Kogi State
• Dualisation of Lokoja-Okene-Benin road in Kogi and Edo States.
• Rehabilitation of Ilorin-Kabba-Obajana Road in Kogi & Kwara States.
• Periodic maintenance of Lafia-Doma Road in Nasarawa state
• Periodic maintenance of Jebba-Lafiaji Road in Niger State.
• Dualisation of Suleija-Minna road in Niger State.
• Rehabilitation of Mokwa-Bida Road in Niger State.
• The newly reconstructed rail bridge Zungeru-Akare
• Rehabilitation of River Ebba Bridge at Cheche in Niger State.
• Rehabilitation of Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa-Birnin Gwari-Kaduna Road in Niger State
• Construction of Bida-Sacci-Nupeko-Pategi Road in Niger State.
• Periodic maintenance of Lafiagi-Mokwa Road in Niger State.
• Rehabilitation of Jarmai-Bashar Road in Plateau State.
• Construction of Langtang-Lalin-Tunkus-Shendam Road in Plateau State.
• Reconstruction of Mokwa-Bide Road
• Reinstatement of Washout on Bridge approach & Embankment at CH.0+100 along Shendam-Yelwa-Ibi Road in Plateau State.
• Completion of the Reconstruction of Vom-Manchok road in Plateau State.
Work is progressing on the Reconstruction of Mokwa-Bide Road, Akure-Ilesha Road, Sokoto-Tambuwal-Jega Road, Enugu-Abakaliki Road, Ogoja-Ikom Road and Vandekiya-Obudu Road, among others.

Accelerated Projects Dualisation of Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja Road
We have accelerated work on the dualisation of Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja road in FCT and Kogi State. The Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja road which links the FCT with many parts of the South has been in a state of disrepair for many years. We have intensi¬fied reconstruction of this road to ease the burden of travellers in this zone. The reconstruction includes dualisation of the road which would help in no small way to address the high number accidents on this road.

Total Reconstruction of Vom-Manchok Road in Plateau State
We have totally reconstructed and completed the Vom-Manchok road in Plateau state. This has eased transportation of citizens in the North Central immensely.

Testimonial from James Goteng
My name is James Goteng, I come from Plateau state. I’m a bus driver; I work for a Transport company. I usually travel from Jos to Lagos carrying passengers. Sometimes my boss will change my route and I will go from Jos to Kano and Jigawa.

When I first became a driver for the company, I always hated it because the roads were very bad and at the end of every journey, I always have body pains from the bad movement of the bus on the bad roads. In fact, sometimes we enter the bush to make a road path because the real roads are not even as good as the bush path.
Sometimes we get attacked by armed robbers who take advantage of the bad roads because we are travelling on slow speed. However these days the roads are good. In fact, I can’t believe we have a government that can even do this much for us. I have no fear; my passengers too don’t complain and we even charge them less. Life is good for everyone now.

Testimonials from Gowon Franklin Namiyap

I come from Plateau state, I have been in Abuja for about five to six years now. I would like to appreciate the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan, especially in the area of Road Transportation. His administration is by far better than the previous ones. Before, we used to experience transportation problems because road construction was terrible. However, since President Goodluck Jonathan came in, things have improved. The places we used to travel for 6 hours now take about 3 hours or less.

Road Projects in the North West
Before our administration, precisely as at 2011, only about 963 kilometres of Federal Roads out of the total of 6,876.2 Km in the North West could be regarded as good roads. 5,913.2km were in bad shape. Travelling on these roads was therefore a nightmare with frequent vehicular breakdown, increasing costs of vehicle maintenance, unnecessarily longer travel times, rising public transport fares and frequent road traffic accidents.

Massive Construction, Rehabilitation, Expansion and Maintenance of Federal Roads
In order to improve the condition of national roads infrastructure, we have embarked on massive construction, rehabilitation, expansion and maintenance of federal roads in all the geopolitical zones of the federation. In the North West, a total of 1,040km of federal roads have been constructed in 20 projects at the cost of N157billion. This has raised the stock of federal roads in the North West From 6,876km before our administration to 7,916km in 2014. We have succeeded in making over 4,751km of federal roads in the North West motorable, with over 5,400km in good condition. #GEJAchievements Compare #Nigeriab4GEJ

Repositioning Federal Road Maintenance Agency FERMA
Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) has been re-positioned and now has better capacity to fix roads in the North West zone and the rest of Nigeria. As part of the reforms, government agencies like FERMA have been greatly empowered. The agency is now equipped with state of the art pothole patchers and cold asphalt production plants located in Kuje, Katsina and Lagos. This has greatly enhanced its capacity for prompt and regular routine repairs and maintenance of federal roads. Today, FERMA now plays an active role in recovering road wash-outs, general maintenance and vegetation control on the key federal highways in the North West zone including: Abuja-Kaduna- Kano Road/Katsina-Dutsinma-Kankara Road/ Gusau-Talata-Mafara-Sokoto Road/B/Gwari Funtua Road Project.

Some New Initiatives and Major Reforms in Roads Projects
We have procured and distributed 38 state-of-the-art Bergkamp FP5 mobile pothole patchers for all-year round road repairs. We have installed and commenced work from two Major 80TPH FERMA Asphalt plants in 2012. Our administration introduced the FERMA-SURE P Public works Programme, engaging and training over 6,000 Nigerian youths on road maintenance works thereby creating a social safety net and road ownership attitude with abutting communities.

Road Support Services and Other Interventions

We have provided quick intervention/communication call lines for Public-Government interaction on conditions of Federal Roads nationwide. Some of our other achievements in road construction and maintenance include commencement of full-scale production of cold asphaltic concrete mix for all year round intervention on road failures all over the country, systematic replacement of weak box culverts with short bridges and reinstatement of vandalised bridge handrails along critical highways. We have also provided road support services to over 90 locations for accident victims (first aid) and police intervention on flash points nationwide.

Checking the Activities of Hoodlums along Highways
We initiated the National Joint Programme of Action Against Road Abuses and Routine Surveillance to prolong road pavement life span and protect road assets nationwide. Over 40 mini Asphalt plants are being used effectively for regular production and utilization of hot rolled Asphalt for proactive road maintenance works. In addition to this, we are ensuring sustained vegetation control along major federal highways thus improving inter-visibility, checking the heinous activities of hoodlums along highways and reducing the rate of accidents due to blind curves and overgrown weed. We have also provided street lightings along usually dark urban stretches of federal highways and major bridges across the country.

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Aliyu Sidelines Deputy, Makes Speaker Acting Governor As He Proceeds On Haj / You Must Be Ready To Die For Change - Amaechi (video). / Picture Of Aisha Buhari Frying Akara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.