Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding (34974 Views)

LASG CCTV Van Stuck On Electricity Cables At Abule Egba (photos) / ... / Wire Abandoned By Electricity Workers Electrocutes 15-year-old Pupil (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 1:44pm On Feb 03, 2015
asuustrike2009:
op I really appreciate what you are doing. my question is in my area once there's lighting , the light goes off to come back the next day especially if it occurs at night but if a strong politicians is around or there's a football match, it will be restored that same day. my question is what's the rational behind it??

lighting tends to incur excess voltage on the system, thereby effecting trip on the feeder.
Some Operators will try to close again after 5mins, while some will leave to last until it stops raining.

The trip could be caused by wind. Two wires meeting as a result will lead to tripping of feeder.

Cable cut will also lead to tripping.

Lolz @ strong politicians. This is Nigeria my brother. We love to impress.
Now GEJ is in Kogi. Believe me, they are gonna supply today more than ever. grin
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 1:46pm On Feb 03, 2015
lordnammy:
if u have been to places like Omuoku in rivers state they have light 24/7, they get their supply from NAOC gas plant for free. it is very possibly if we our total output greater than total deman. like u asked ealier during football that light is always off in ur areas that is because that is peak period and some places needs to be open to avoid overload. if we get up to 10 mw there is goine to be constant electricity in naija

Thanks brother.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by tolexy007(m): 1:47pm On Feb 03, 2015
ayobase:

That place most definitely be under 33KV supply.
Those places are not under injection substation control, rather under transmission.

Minna has the tendency of having 24/7 supply, but economy there is bad. People are not ready to pay.

I think those 33KV lines will soon be under load shedding.
well i dont no all dat, all i no is dat thier electricity is stable there
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 1:52pm On Feb 03, 2015
adorable29:
All this one na grammar! One thing is sure....

IN BENIN CITY, WE HAVE NEVER PAID SO MUCH IN "NEPA" BILL AND YET HAD ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POWER SUPPLY AS WE DO NOW!

We have light an average of 2hours every 2 or 3days in my area. If we are lucky, we see it up to 3hours in total (we don't see it again till 2 or 3days later)! Yet we are forced to pay the fixed charge every month!

Our transformer blew and for 5 months (jan-may last year) , not a spark of light. Yet we paid fixed charge for that 5 months!

Since the privatization of NEPA, we have jumped from frying pan into fire. Infact from frying Pan into volcanic molten magma!!!

This so pathetic and unacceptable.
Please, do you have a functioning and effective landlords association.

Issues like this are left pending cos nobody cares most times.

"I have my gen, so what the heck......"
"I dont want NEPA wahala jare"
"They wont do anything if we complain"
"Who cares sef"

These are some of the flimsy excuses people make.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 1:56pm On Feb 03, 2015
Enoquin:

So, now you are saying our bill probably increased because of the 'sin' of others in using short cuts?
If in trying to correct the anomally, a staff discredited our story, what then?
Where does the fault lie? Because it definitely isn't us and if we aren't getting any succour from DISCO and someone comes with a shortcut, give me reasons why we wouldn't jump at the idea.

please, and the staff discredited what story with what reason?

My brother, have you asked yourself this question?
Why the increment in bill since Disco was taken over from the government?

How will the Company get paid for the units being bypassed by customers?

Truly stating, you are suffering for another man's sin. 80% if not 100%.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:07pm On Feb 03, 2015
KINGTELLER:

I disagree with you on this... Power distribution or DISCO should first put their own house in order and also create a channel were complaint made by consumers are investigated and not treated with levity

Let everybody SAY NO TO BYPASSING and see things taking shape with less effort.
Believe, more than 50% of the Consumers are paying less for consumption.

I have not exonerated DISCO either. They have roles to play.

Are you saying my points for sound delivery are invalid?
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:11pm On Feb 03, 2015
nurey:
If you are not using a prepaid meter, then you are on a long thing, now this is how nepa bills the areas, let say area A uses a total of 10mw, nepa will calculate the amount of prepaid meter users and how much credit they paid for, subtract it from the 10mw let's say it is 3mw, the remaining 7mw is shared among those using old meter, they don't come in to read meter they just share the amount among them now those that tap light or bypass, you are the one paying for their meter.

Now my case study Area is IKOYI lagos
Its only on sunday we use this appliances and that's when we are using more light
TV
Freezer
Laptop (2)
Bulb
Three fans
Pumping machine
Iron
And minor gadgets

I don't use Ac or any other high powered electronics, now if there is no constant light we don't pay anything less than 6k which is exorbitant but we pay, on a bad day, they bring 12k for a month, am I running and industry so I decided it was time for prepaid and am telling you in a week from 300 units, I am left with 280units and #2000 naira equals 120units which I can't finish in a month it took me 4months to get it take a cue from my experience and get yourself a prepaid meter.

thank you my brother for this insight.
God bless you.

Some people won't still reason with you.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2015
jidxin:
I stand to be corrected ...substation is not the transformer on ur street

It is on a professional level.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:16pm On Feb 03, 2015
Abiagirl777:

i havee a question pls
ok my hubby packed into this new house July last year while i was in school,he was rarely around cause he went back to their coy guest house ppending when i'll come back from school,i came bak nov and found out that our 'new'meter was at 356kw/hr,all our electric appliances were switched off during that period.
Presently its at 600kw/hr.
I have complained to the PHEDC,we were instructed to reg our meter 1st which we did yet the prob goes on, they seem not to have an answer,though we've resolved not to pay a dime to them until its rectified.
Imagine #20000 bill every month when we r hardly around?
So wot can we do?

Did the former occupant settle his/her bill before u packed in?

lets start from there.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:19pm On Feb 03, 2015

I feel your pain. In the era of PHCN, it was govt owned, whether there was profit or not, govt was obliged to provide you electricity. Now the discos are owned by the private sector and the discos buy electricity and sell same to make a profit.
The area you live may be listed under hostile and unresponsive, i.e customers/consumers in the area don't pay bills and are known to molest staff of the company. If you were in the management of say a disco, would it profitable to replace a facility with millions to a community that even in 10 years time you won't recover the your cost? Wouldn't you rather channel you products (electricity) to customers who are willing to pay?
Fixed charge is quite annoying, however fixed charge is the cost of evacuating power from the generating station to your doorstep, and this charge goes to the FG, with a little percentage going to the disco. The discos are only collecting on behalf of the FG.
If you feel your bill isn't commensurate with how much you consume, walk into any business district and lodge a complaint, if you're not satisfied, you can have it escalated by visiting the NERC office in your state.

1000000000000 likes.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:23pm On Feb 03, 2015
Kayman3:
I feel the fact that some people were boycotting the prepaid meter by their illegal connection does not stop any of this distribution company from giving it out.
I think Prepaid meter will be of two added advantage to them

There will be efficient account rather than paying cash to one cashier that will remit to one manager(You will know the number of unit sold with respect to your income book and bank balance)
2. Consumers will be conscious of their electricity usage 'cos nobody want to pay more.

Can somebody please tell me why prepaid meters were not in circulation or stop from been distributed?

Those in service should be properly managed before bringing in more.
Solution should be procured to this madness on ground.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:25pm On Feb 03, 2015
Crieff:
@ayobase

what's up with the racketeering and hoarding of prepaid meters now. PHCN keeps bringing crazy bills and we want to switch to pp meters but it is like trying to run through a phalanx.

Where and how can a PP meter be bought?
The cost?
The process?

This is what the internet is for. This is what technolgy is for but public institutions in this country like their head seem to be totally inept on how to do any thing.

Lolz.

They are looking into the matter.
They wanna curb the anomalies on ground before bringing in more.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Crieff(m): 2:28pm On Feb 03, 2015
ayobase:

Lolz.

They are looking into the matter.
They wanna curb the anomalies on ground before bringing in more.

Ok ooo.

E se e ko dara.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 2:28pm On Feb 03, 2015
indigene:

Lame excuses and definition of transfered failure of ineptitude. it seems you re either working or serving as a PRO with one of our so called DISCO's,
IEE regulation regarding electrical joints stipulated that they must be mechanically strong, from what point in electricity generation does this single regulation starts and stop?
Your answer?

Lame guesswork and question.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 10:19am On Feb 04, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Oga, please tell me the progress of the FG on better power generation. It's good we know you have a better idea about power.
Re there on going improvements? Co's we dnt trust politicians?
The minister of power complained of sabotage on power via vandalism of gas pipe line, please explain more.
Thanks to the added knowledge.

I know of more than 50 transmission projects, but Generation.
Most of these 132/33KV transmission stations are said to be powered by gas-powered generating plant.

Only Transmission is under government as for now.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by lordnammy(m): 1:28pm On Feb 04, 2015
ayobase:

Thanks brother.
welcome
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Abiagirl777(f): 4:19pm On Feb 04, 2015
U
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 4:52pm On Feb 04, 2015
Abiagirl777:

we r de 1st occupants cos its a new house with a supposedly new metter according to the landlady

pls, can I know the meter's reading when u came in newly and the current reading based in the last billing.

some landladies and landlords shouldnt be trusted.

Also ensure you dont have any leakage (tapping) and also be sure NOTHING was mistakenly left switched on while away.

thanks.

Hope you know that 702Naira charge per month is constant?
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
Abiagirl777:

we r de 1st occupants cos its a new house with a supposedly new metter according to the landlady

pls, can I know the meter's reading when u came in newly and the current reading based in the last billing.

The landlady might have been sold a meter with outstanding payment.. we need to be sure of that also.

Also ensure you dont have any leakage (tapping) and also be sure NOTHING was mistakenly left switched on while away.

thanks.

Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Abiagirl777(f): 5:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
ayobase:

some landladies and landlords shouldnt be trusted.

thanks.

the 1st tym we moved in i saw 36kw/hr while others who came in months b4 us still had 3kw/hr,nov to feb 4th,it is at799kw/hr now.
Secondly they give us estimated bills,we've been unable to locate metre readings on.
Mind you,it was a senior PHCN officer dat cald our attention to how our metre was running.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Abiagirl777(f): 5:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
ayobase:

The landlady might have been sold a meter with outstanding payment.. we need to be sure of that also.

thanks.

my husband is a cerified elect. Engineer though not power,we hav exhausted all he knows and some dat has been invited to look into it,it looks lyk de fault is from the metre or God knows where
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Abiagirl777(f): 5:19pm On Feb 04, 2015
ayobase:

thanks.

my husband is a cerified elect. Engineer though not majoring in power,we hav exhausted all he knows and some dat has been invited to look into it,it looks lyk de fault is from the metre or God knows where
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2015
Abiagirl777:

the 1st tym we moved in i saw 36kw/hr while others who came in months b4 us still had 3kw/hr,nov to feb 4th,it is at799kw/hr now.
Secondly they give us estimated bills,we've been unable to locate metre readings on.
Mind you,it was a senior PHCN officer dat cald our attention to how our metre was running.

I can still remember a neighbour's meter that had to be readjusted. it was running 360° within 5 seconds.

You might be a victim of refurbished meter.
Most of these meters being sold are old (u should see NEPA inscribed on it). 99% of them were damaged, repaired and sold out by some staff.

About 10 were evacuated from store today to be repaired and sold out.

if thisis the case, then u should take more of the blame.
u never informed the Disco staff you are travelling. he cones to take reading and bill accordingly.

I still wanna believe the meter shouldn't read since there wasn't load on it.

estimated bills despite metering?

you guys really need to solve this case out with the officers amicably. both parties share faults.

and there was 36kw/hr on it when u newly came in. who used that unit?
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 12:02am On Feb 05, 2015
Abiagirl777:

my husband is a cerified elect. Engineer though not power,we hav exhausted all he knows and some dat has been invited to look into it,it looks lyk de fault is from the metre or God knows where

It should be from the metre dear.
try settle matter amicably without you giving in to blame.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by guente02(m): 1:34am On Mar 19, 2017
ayobase:

It should be from the metre dear.
try settle matter amicably without you giving in to blame.
Why is our phase always tripping out on the transformer making others with multiple phase to have light and we won't? And why is a mere curled up copper serving as a fuse inside our transformer's fuse box or whatever the name is?
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 9:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
guente02:

Why is our phase always tripping out on the transformer making others with multiple phase to have light and we won't? And why is a mere curled up copper serving as a fuse inside our transformer's fuse box or whatever the name is?

From your complaint, the transformer as a unit us already overloaded. It might be that the transformer was installed when you have few unit of houses.

Your phase of the 3 phases might be the most overloaded, I.e there are more houses/customers on the phase than the other two.

Since the transformer carries more load than required, making the fuse useless as the load it carries is more than it's rated capacity. So making use of copper wire which can sustain higher load for longer time.

Above all, the transformer lifespan shortens as it is being overstretched.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by guente02(m): 10:19pm On Mar 22, 2017
ayobase:

From your complaint, the transformer as a unit us already overloaded. It might be that the transformer was installed when you have few unit of houses.

Your phase of the 3 phases might be the most overloaded, I.e there are more houses/customers on the phase than the other two.

Since the transformer carries more load than required, making the fuse useless as the load it carries is more than it's rated capacity. So making use of copper wire which can sustain higher load for longer time.

Above all, the transformer lifespan shortens as it is being overstretched.
I've lived in the area for some twenty years and yes there has been major developments in the area but they could at least installed a new unit to cater for overloading and whatnot. Shebi we dey pay bill steady.
Thanks for your time.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by ayobase(m): 4:12pm On Mar 23, 2017
guente02:

I've lived in the area for some twenty years and yes there has been major developments in the area but they could at least installed a new unit to cater for overloading and whatnot. Shebi we dey pay bill steady.
Thanks for your time.

Of course.

Your community should write to the concerned Disco and follow up.
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Tesclaros(m): 3:39am On Apr 04, 2022
johnwizey:
D only reason is the billions allocated for power is been embezzled by dat clueless individual and his cohorts.

Can you still Sai buhari now as you did right here back then ? hahahaha

Come FEBUHARI 14, we tell dem to start packing dere loads

Sai Buhari
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by Tesclaros(m): 3:40am On Apr 04, 2022
johnwizey:
D only reason is the billions allocated for power is been embezzled by dat clueless individual and his cohorts.

Come FEBUHARI 14, we tell dem to start packing dere loads

Sai Buhari
Re: Reasons You Might Not Be Having Light (electricity): To A Layman Understanding by johnwizey: 1:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
Tesclaros:
Brotherly e pass me. This one is even more useless

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OJUGBO GODSTIME OMONEKA's Lost Wallet Found In Oshodi / Two Electrocuted Trying To Save Others (Pictured) / MD/CEO Of Trendy Beauty Outlet Was Attacked By "Evil Snake" (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.