Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? (21632 Views)

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes / African All-stars Feat. 180 African Artistes – #noto Xenophobia / AUDIO+VIDEO: African All-stars – We Are The World Ft. 180 African. Artistes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
Barakah tha prince ft alkiba Nnthaminyi i like am sha
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Afonjanightmare(m): 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
It's a lie

Khona

BB DJay

Our money
Etc

We rocked them here

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
You cant compare the much energy naijas put into thre entertainment industry with them.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Vickysnipe147(m): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
one of the criteria to penetrate an international market is quality product that can compete with already existing products or an entirely new innovation that consumers can use. other African musicians are lacking that quality and their music cannot compete with the ones our artists already have.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Fuadeiza(m): 3:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
Did anybody notice this has been posted since 2015

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by idu1(m): 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
Wetin dem dey sing?
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Horlufemi(m): 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
Airforce1:
too long
No time to read all that Sorry
No wonder
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Lexusgs430: 3:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
jiggaz:
I have been thinking lately why dis is so.. I mean
there are some songs by some African Acts that
will be ruling airwaves across Africa but we dont
even hear of them here in Nigeria & the farthest
they can come to West Africa will be Ghana. I
know Sarkodie was able to break into the market
likewise Cabo Snoop & a few others but dat is it.
One example is Nameless from Kenya, he
released a Hit single in Kenya called Sinzia in
2005/06. D song was very big in East Africa,
Central Africa & some parts of Southern Africa but
lo and behold it didnt even smell the shores of
Nigeria. Another example is d rampaging girl-
band ''Blu 3'' from Uganda. These girls burst onto
the African music scene in 2004 with their Hit
single ''Hitaji'' which ruled airwaves in East
Africa, Central Africa & Southern Africa. Though
some Nigerian radio stations played the song, it
didnt record any commercial success like it did in
other African countries. They released another
song in 2009 ''Where You Are'' ft Radio & Weasle
& it was a massive hit across Africa, it was also
number 2 on MTV Base African charts for weeks.
It was even played on MTV Europe. The farthest
they broke into West Africa was Ghana but never
Nigeria. There are other Hit songs by artistes
from East Africa that recorded so much success
around Africa but they did not make any impact in
Nigeria. Hit songs like Gold Digger by Jackie
Chandiru from Uganda, Siamini by TID from
Tanzania, Lookie Lookie by Stella Mwangi frm
Kenya & One and Only by Navio frm Uganda
etc.... I happen to know about these songs cos
i'm someone that loves good music no matter its
origin & i research very well too. Language is
neva a barrier to me. So my question is ''What do
u think is limiting these good African artistes from
breaking into the lucrative Nigerian music
market''? Is it language barrier, finances or what?
From what i discovered, artistes from East African
countries & Africa in general believes dat to break
into Mainstream Music in Africa, u have to
conquer Nigeria first which is true... So
nairalanders, spill ur opinions. Its all welcomed

The picture below is the Blu 3 girls from Uganda.

The Nigerian market is already over saturated, with the beautiful, ugly, beauty and the beasts!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
victoria kimani,awilo logomba,koffi olomide,yvonne chakachaka,brenda fasie,nicholas mbarga,VIP,papa wemba etc are/were popular in nigeria......most dance steps u see in nigeria were influenced by awilo.

the funny part is that op sees nigerian artistes as the best sets of singers in african.south african musicians are not far better musicians than nigeria musicians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Lexusgs430: 3:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
Fuadeiza:
Did anybody notice this has been posted since 2015

But still relevant in 2017

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
Vickysnipe147:
one of the criteria to penetrate an international market is quality product that can compete with already existing products or an entirely new innovation that consumers can use. other African musicians are lacking that quality and their music cannot compete with the ones our artists already have.
smh,...what quality does nigerian artiste have?

South africans are far better,abeg.......they have atleast 3-5 grammy winners and naija is yet to record one

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by nkemdi89(f): 3:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
Even our own Nigerian, musicians have to come down from abuja, jos to Lagos before they can " blow", here in the east there are so many music making waves but they are heardly off in Lagos which is the entertainment capital, vice versa. That's why I don't blame gifty of bbn for not knowing banky and falz, she may have heard their song but won't know them especially that of falz who is popular in the west, unfortunately the tribalists started accusing her of being fake.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Notime4drama: 3:31pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
smh,...what quality does nigerian artiste have?

South africans are far better,abeg.......they have atleast 3-5 grammy winners and naija is yet to record one
angry dude we all know all africans are trying to be us.To me i feel SA only has casper nyovest and AKA penetrating our shores the rest na wash

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by samstradam: 3:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
jiggaz:

Very poor analysis, you should have asked the real question you wanted to which is "why do East African pop artistes fail to chart in Nigeria" and the simple answer to that is they are not very good.

I base my answer on the fact that good music has always been appreciated in this country, no matter where the owner is from. Highlife mainly from outside Nigeria (Ghana) ruled pre independence. Shortly after our local folk artistes improved and they ruled the airwaves till the early 80s. From then on, like the rest of the black world, we were enraptured by the great sound of black America. In the 90s our local artist refused to improve or tried too closely to mimic hip hop, RnB and reggae dancehall that ruled that era. But by the late 90s when the quality of makosa was too good we were swept of our feet and danced to songs we never knew the meaning of. It continued like that till the early 2000s when our naija hip hop artists improved their game, localised their sounds and now they are the bee's knees everywhere.

The Blackman and especially Nigerians appreciate good music no matter the language barrier- this evidenced by the fact that in a country of 200 languages, everyone still dances to the Yoruba influenced hip hop sound though they don't understand the language. Phyno's track was the biggest last year and it's not because we are all Igbo or Christian- it's simply a hot song! When it comes to football and music, Nigerians stop seeing tribe.

The honest truth is if your East African friends improve their game, we will listen to them just like the way we still play the really good south African dance acts/ folk music and Ghana has secretly invaded our airwaves again using our son as their General! it's so funny isn't it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by naptu2: 3:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
jiggaz:

A few songs by non-Nigerian Africans that have been popular in Nigeria

Uhuru - Khona (South Africa)

Mahoota & Vetkuk - Via Orlando (South Africa)

DJ Sbu ft Zahara - Lengoma (South Africa)

Mzbel - 16 years (Ghana)

Cabo Snoop - Windeck (Angola)

Toofan - Gweta (Togo)

Tic Tac - Kangaroo - Ghana

Awilo Longomba - Coupe Bibamba (Ivory Coast)

Angelique Kidjo - Agolo (Benin)

Angelique Kidjo - Voodoo Child (Benin)

Yvonne Chaka Chaka - Umquombothi (South Africa)

VIP - Ahonka Womu (Ghana)

Freshly Ground - Doobedoo (South Africa)

Mi Casa - Jika (South Africa)

Fuse - Azonto (Ghana)

Magic System - Premier Gaou (Ivory Coast)

Alpha Blondie - Fanta Diallo (Ivory Coast)

Brenda Fassie - It's Your Wedding Day (South Africa)

Brenda Fassie - Vulindlela (South Africa)

There are very many songs by other Africans that have been successful in Nigeria

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by natznext(m): 3:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
Not all Nigerian music are "Pangolo music"
We produce great sounds, even the American heavyweights re now seeking

It's hard to break into the Nigerian market as it is to break into the US market.

South Africans and Ghana folks sell on the average here.
I listen to radio n weasel too

If they produce really good sounds with good PR, they'll break out here

Nigeria is a very large market

We now have artist that their coverage is just their state or a couple states in their region, n they are managing well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by dangotesmummy: 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2017
Angelica kidjo nko? She broke into the Nigerian market and even internationally the lady from bene republic that sang wombolo wombolo wombolobo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
Notime4drama:
angry dude we all know all africans are trying to be us.To me i feel SA only has casper nyovest and AKA penetrating our shores the rest na wash
trying to be u??smh

who cares about ur shores? U make better music and ur artistes troop to SA for video shoot?

Oga,ayam a nigerian and i listen to South African music more than nigeria's,except nigeria folks music like juju,highlife etc....SA artiste are more qualitative than naija artistes.

Lira,zahara,black coffee,black motions,steeters etc are far better
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by freshinko: 3:43pm On Feb 19, 2017
OP. We have enough to feed on. In other words, we are not 'hungry'.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by ThatIgboBoy: 3:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
It all comes down to the sound and being good at what you do.

We love tha party life in Nigeria and that is easily depicted in most songs from our shores. Most of the songs ruling airwaves in Nigeria are songs that are dance-able to. We have musicians who sing the classic stuff but they dont really go far because we prefer the pangolo sound. it has even affected good musicians in Nigeria that even Praiz is now switching his sound to meet up. Those that didnt switch like GT the guitarman fell by the wayside. Most of the songs by these african musicians are GT the guitarman stuff.

Secondly,being good at what u do matters despite the sound. Some years ago south african House music took over the club scene in lagos. It was promoted by DJ caise of beat fm who kept playing it on friday and saturday nights till a lot of us bought into the south african house music ish. It even influenced the sound of Niniola. U can check her song ibadi. Makossa and soukouz too have ruled at one time or the other. Right now diamondz platinum have also been able to make in-roads into Nigeria. This is to show that despite our love for pangolo,if u aare good at what u do and your sound is good,Nigerians will bump to it.

What am i trying to say?

Most of the music being dished out by some of our africans brothers n sisters are wack

4 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
trying to be u??smh

who cares about ur shores? U make better music and ur artistes troop to SA for video shoot?

Oga,ayam a nigerian and i listen to South African music more than nigeria's,except nigeria folks music like juju,highlife etc....SA artiste are more qualitative than naija artistes.

apart from nasty c and cassper others are trash ...why u no add apc to the list ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by StOla: 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2017
Airforce1:
too long

No time to read all that
Sorry

Coming from a nairalander who is yet to attain upcoming artiste status after 3yrs of promising album loading?

Maybe if you took the time to read relevant information you consider too long, you might learn something about finally breaking into the limelight.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by natznext(m): 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
martineverest:
trying to be u??smh

Oh, going to film there makes the sound superior?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Rick9(m): 3:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
G
Their music are wack
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by mmsen: 3:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:
The Nigerian music scene is over populated every tamuno and dokubo wants to be an artist
In Lagos every street has 5 'upcoming' artists in every university every cultist is a rapper, every girl is in choir.
To break as a foreigner in naija is easy just stay foreign always tell them your foreign and come and base in naija if you are white or half caste or have an Accent the better for you Nigerians have inferiority complex and fetish for exotic and as such you will blow. Thank me later.

Which artists has that helped?

I can't think of a single prime artist who is any of those things.

Nigeria music artists are an example of what Nigeria should be doing in all things - promote your own first, then export. Then and only then do you import the very best from the outside world.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by heskeyw(m): 3:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
Quadradinho by dj habibas. That song is making waves in angola
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Feb 19, 2017
the answr is simple, nigerians dont vibe on the same frequency with other africans. i tried listening to one reggae song by an ugandan i was like wtf!!, however fellow ugandans were touting the song on twitter.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
mmsen:

Which artists has that helped?

I can't think of a single prime artist who is any of those things.

Nigeria music artists are an example of what Nigeria should be doing in all things - promote your own first, then export. Then and only then do you import the very best from the outside world.
That Mavin's half caste
That Kenyan fat woman singer
Even in comedy if a foreigner speaks pidgin that person becomes a legend
Oyinbo princess
White Nigerian
Amongst others too numerous to list
All our radio presenters have accent

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by mmsen: 4:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
DuBLINGreenb:

That Mavin's half caste
That Kenyan fat woman singer
Even in comedy if a foreigner speaks pidgin that person becomes a legend
Oyinbo princess
White Nigerian
Amongst others too numerous to list
All our radio presenters have accent

Which Mavin artist?

Which Kenyan singer?

Those other people are irrelevant - I haven't seen anything on 'White Nigerian' in years.

When they are on the level of Davido or Wizkid then I will understand your complaint but as things stand they are not prominent.
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
pocohantas:
Because the Nigerian market is saturated enough.

Nigerians are also bias in their own lil way.
Mr Eazy said Ghanian music influenced ours, you saw how Nigerians came for him? That's how bias and close knitted Nigerians are when it comes to mocking other African countries.

They also don't sing our kind of pangolo music.

Language is also a barrier, [b] while our artistes are trying so hard to sound foreign. [b] Lots of other african countries are still indigenous in their music.

And your signature reads "deuces". Not judging; just saying. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Adiwana: 4:03pm On Feb 19, 2017
iamfroshsylver:
You cant compare the much energy naijas put into thre entertainment industry with them.
The only African artists in Nigerian market is Sarkodie and that cos not only is his rap catchy,he Mixes his dialect with Broken&makes references to Nigerian names and settings.
There is a big difference b/w artists making it into the market&SongsWhat u mentioned OP was songs,not artists.Songs like khona,winbeck and lots of others are nothing but one hit wonders and Jus like lots of artists in Nigeria,it fades off with time making it another up hill task for artists to produce the same feat which unfortunately, they dont

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 4:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
hardwerk:
apart from nasty c and cassper others are trash ...why u no add apc to the list ?
te fact that u listened to casper and nyovest doesnt mean others are trash.

SA musicians are known worldwide than nigerian musicians....femi kuti,asa and nneka that are only nigerians that are xploring the world

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burna Boy - Let Go Ft. Kizz Daniel, Mayorkun, Small Doctor, Zoro & Kaffy (Video) / E.M.E Feat. Wizkid - "Dance For Me" / Dbanj Oliver Twist Official Video HD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.