Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,684 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? (21634 Views)

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes / African All-stars Feat. 180 African Artistes – #noto Xenophobia / AUDIO+VIDEO: African All-stars – We Are The World Ft. 180 African. Artistes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 2:08pm On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
trying to be u??smh

who cares about ur shores? U make better music and ur artistes troop to SA for video shoot?

Oga,ayam a nigerian and i listen to South African music more than nigeria's,except nigeria folks music like juju,highlife etc....SA artiste are more qualitative than naija artistes.
Lira,zahara,black coffee,black motions,steeters etc are far better
good, unbiased point. Does Naija have variety of music like south Africa? Is Nigerian hip hop better that SA? Does Naija have better music videos? Is the Nigerian music sophisticated like that of SA? Are Nigerian musicians better vocally! Don't think so
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2017
hardwerk:
apart from nasty c and cassper others are trash ...why u no add apc to the list ?
reason, proverb, kwesta, lira, black motion, black co fee, Busi nova etc must I go on??
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 2:45pm On Feb 20, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
good, unbiased point. Does Naija have variety of music like south Africa? Is Nigerian hip hop better that SA? Does Naija have better music videos? Is the Nigerian music sophisticated like that of SA? Are Nigerian musicians better vocally! Don't think so
from ur moniker,u are a south african
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
from ur moniker,u are a south african
yessir
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:15pm On Feb 20, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
yessir
welcome to nairaland

from ur profile,i could see that u have many SA followers
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 3:22pm On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
welcome to nairaland

from ur profile,i could see that u have many SA followers
yeah thanks man, I've been here for a while though
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
yeah thanks man, I've been here for a while though
be ready for insults from nigerians.....thats my little advice
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 3:28pm On Feb 20, 2017
martineverest:
be ready for insults from nigerians.....thats my little advice
I've become used to it, I also give as I get nowgrin but why do you guys love throwing insults at south sfrica so much?
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 3:56pm On Feb 20, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
I've become used to it, I also give as I get nowgrin but why do you guys love throwing insults at south sfrica so much?
not only SA,our govt and fellow nigerians get fare share of d insults...i think its fustration

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by MtuMsuper: 4:03pm On Feb 20, 2017
Gmajor:
lol
most african countries rarely produce good music as compared to Nigerian. When u watch ugandan n kenyan music video u'll be like wtf. The look like one of those eddy remedy tracks from way back.
What do we need their trash for when we have artists that are 10x more talented than them
Don't be too full of yourselves. Who told you nigerian vibe is the only vibe. Do you even know the name of 1 artiste from say, Senegal? Nigerian music is for the Nigerian ear. I went to Addis ababa, Ethiopia and all they had blaring from radios, to street cafes to nightclubs were sweet Ethiopian sounds.
Listen to the clip below and get more links to other Ethiopian artists and then see that musical expression in Africa is very very diverse :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGo19P9Eyr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlpaRFnEnkM
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by naptu2: 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
50 Songs From Other African Countries That Were Hits In Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/3639874/50-songs-other-africans-hits
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by whizola: 11:25pm On Feb 20, 2017
Who are those who ave it the blacks or the white
martineverest:
smh,...what quality does nigerian artiste have?

South africans are far better,abeg.......they have atleast 3-5 grammy winners and naija is yet to record one
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by whizola: 11:33pm On Feb 20, 2017
I total disagree with you on sa music better than Nigeria music. Nigerian music has an identity. We are known for mainly afropop. Sa are know for there rap style, we boss the afropop in African while sa bosses the rap. So it depends on your preferences.
martineverest:
trying to be u??smh

who cares about ur shores? U make better music and ur artistes troop to SA for video shoot?

Oga,ayam a nigerian and i listen to South African music more than nigeria's,except nigeria folks music like juju,highlife etc....SA artiste are more qualitative than naija artistes.

Lira,zahara,black coffee,black motions,steeters etc are far better
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by martineverest(m): 5:40am On Feb 21, 2017
whizola:
I total disagree with you on sa music better than Nigeria music. Nigerian music has an identity. We are known for mainly afropop. Sa are know for there rap style, we boss the afropop in African while sa bosses the rap. So it depends on your preferences.
south africa and even ghana have identity than nigeria,pls.....we only copy whites and call it afro pop.its femi kuti,daddy shoki etc that still retain thwir brand of music...south africans still retain their brand and unique style of music called,kwaito,luso etc
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by haryomikun(m): 10:22am On Feb 22, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:
It all comes down to the sound and being good at what you do.

We love tha party life in Nigeria and that is easily depicted in most songs from our shores. Most of the songs ruling airwaves in Nigeria are songs that are dance-able to. We have musicians who sing the classic stuff but they dont really go far because we prefer the pangolo sound. it has even affected good musicians in Nigeria that even Praiz is now switching his sound to meet up. Those that didnt switch like GT the guitarman fell by the wayside. Most of the songs by these african musicians are GT the guitarman stuff.

Secondly,being good at what u do matters despite the sound. Some years ago south african House music took over the club scene in lagos. It was promoted by DJ caise of beat fm who kept playing it on friday and saturday nights till a lot of us bought into the south african house music ish. It even influenced the sound of Niniola. U can check her song ibadi. Makossa and soukouz too have ruled at one time or the other. Right now diamondz platinum have also been able to make in-roads into Nigeria. This is to show that despite our love for pangolo,if u aare good at what u do and your sound is good,Nigerians will bump to it.

What am i trying to say?

Most of the music being dished out by some of our africans brothers n sisters are wack

You're very right boss. Though I don't think there was ever a time south African house music has ruled Nigeria.

The thing you said about niniola's ibado is right. When I first heard the track I thought it was sung by a south African until I heard the Yoruba there.

Even soke by niniola sounds a bit south African. All kudos to sarz who produced both of them though.

That guy is versatile!!!!
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by haryomikun(m): 10:26am On Feb 22, 2017
martineverest:
south africa and even ghana have identity than nigeria,pls.....we only copy whites and call it afro pop.its femi kuti,daddy shoki etc that still retain thwir brand of music...south africans still retain their brand and unique style of music called,kwaito,luso etc
Many don't Copy american music trust me. Probably some rappers, yes but pop artistes... Nahh

Tekno, Brymo,Kiss Daniel, Falz, Dremo, Ola Dips and many more
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by haryomikun(m): 10:37am On Feb 22, 2017
martineverest:
te fact that u listened to casper and nyovest doesnt mean others are trash.

SA musicians are known worldwide than nigerian musicians....femi kuti,asa and nneka that are only nigerians that are xploring the world
True... Dj maphorisa who produced One Dance comes to mind. I was surprised when I knee he produced that track sha grin

But forget oh, south Africans rule afro house music...

Nigerians rule afro pop cool

If na identity you wan talk, trust me, we get our own identity for afro pop
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by haryomikun(m): 10:39am On Feb 22, 2017
StOla:

Coming from a nairalander who is yet to attain upcoming artiste status after 3yrs of promising album loading?

Maybe if you took the time to read relevant information you consider too long, you might learn something about finally breaking into the limelight.
Him never serious
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
who gives a dammn abt SA definitely not Nigeria
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2017
martineverest:
what is this one saying, Ghana does not have any style they are just wanna-be Nigeria. they copy naija in every thing
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Just30: 11:07pm On Mar 14, 2017
uzzyfire:
what is this one saying, Ghana does not have any style they are just wanna-be Nigeria. they copy naija in every thing
see this one ooo
High life and hip life music is Nigerian right?
Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by LeSudAfricaine: 10:45am On Mar 15, 2017
uzzyfire:
who gives a dammn abt SA definitely not Nigeria
and on which tree did his ape fall from?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Artistes Find It Hard To Break Into The Nigerian Market? by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 17, 2017
World class music video directed & shot without spending money.
Lyrics was written in less than a week.
Track was recorded in about 1 hour.
Video was shot in a weekend.
LAWMA by @FUGEEBOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvup953L38

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burna Boy - Let Go Ft. Kizz Daniel, Mayorkun, Small Doctor, Zoro & Kaffy (Video) / E.M.E Feat. Wizkid - "Dance For Me" / Dbanj Oliver Twist Official Video HD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.