Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! (35801 Views)

Is The Osu Caste System Still Practiced In Eastern Nigeria? / Osu Caste System In Igboland- A Tradition Painted With Discrimination- Oldnaija / Osu Caste System, Igbo Tradition Yet To Be Discarded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2015
sonnie10:
Point of correction for the op. Nwadiala in igbo is not "son of the soil." Son of the soil is Nwa (not even nwa-afo). The term nwadiala refers to the childern of your sister, in other words those who have their maternal root in that particular place where they are called "nwadiala."

don't mind the OP, he doesn't even understand simple Igbo terms and he's here describing Osu that exist only in his dreams.

3 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 7:16pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Most people from Imo and Abia use nwadiala while Anambrarians use nwafor. Nwadiana in Anambra means our sister's children,while the nwadiana refers to their mother's people as ndi nna-ochie/nnochie.

i am from Imo state and we use Nwafor as son of d soil nwadiala as our mother's pple/ sister's children....and it's the same in other parts of Imo state.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by LaRoyalHighness(f): 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
Just curious.... How is an 'osu' identified?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by sonnie10: 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
There is something called "Ileta ala" before introduction and subsequent marriage plans. Take for instance, two young Igbo people who met in far away land outside of the igboland, the first thing they do is to send someone for "ileta ala." The mission of this individual who is sent on "ileta ala" would include getting first hand information about the people where their son/daughter would be marrying. Such information are; the family history, moral, values, as well as social status (Osu). Should there be any coma, the marriage may not hold. This is a common practice.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:
[s][/s]

What is d meaning of nwosu? Go and trace the root of such families bearing nwosu as surname. U will arrive at osu origin.

Some bear the surname by marriage, if it were to be those days, they have contacted d osu thing.

Infact the traditional ruler of Awka is Eze uzu Gibson Nwosu. To tell u it's no longer an issue. Trace his lineage u will arrive at osu root.

Osu system is dead Let's Stop flogging it. Same way killing of twins stopped.

Dude, you should probably ask questions about certain things before making bold assertions like this.

Are u from Awka? I am. I lived there for a long time and I still return whenever I can. Obi Gibson Nwosu is not of Osu descent...unless you are the only person alive that knows this.

In the past, Osu were important acolytes and keepers of shrines. As agents of gods, they could be consulted by (freeborn) people. A freeborn child whose conception was believed to have been facilitated by these shrine keepers could be named Nwosu. Needless to say, such children were not themselves Osu in any way.

6 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 10, 2015
Osu indeed. angry

African people and their crappy traditional practices. That is why every other country has advanced and left us in the dust.

Mtscheww

3 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by lionduke(m): 7:25pm On Feb 10, 2015
ORUKU is a village in Nkanu East LGA of Enugu State.
Since 1995 they have engaged in a serious communal war with UMUODE clan Which have destroyed many properties and lives as well .
REASON: They claim that the People of UMUODE are OSU.
Mr BATH NNAJI the former minister of power is from UMUODE. He has led his people to pride as Freeborn But they rarely marry outsiders.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 7:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Dude, you should probably ask questions about certain things before making bold assertions like this.

Are u from Awka? I am. I lived there for a long time and I still return whenever I can. Obi Gibson Nwosu is not of Osu descent...unless you are the only person alive that knows this.

In the past, Osu were important acolytes and keepers of shrines. As agents of gods, they could be consulted by (freeborn) people. A freeborn child whose conception was believed to have been facilitated by these shrine keepers could be named Nwosu. Needless to say, such children were not themselves Osu in any way.

if u back trace the linage of pple bearing Nwosu they r of Osu descent, maybe not by birth but by marriage. That they hold traditional titles today shows that it's no longer practised.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
I have never seen, if its still exist, then youths of those communities needs to tackle it.
OdenigboAroli:

It exists in Anambra and parts of Imo but nobody still discriminates against them just that people have reservations when it gets to marriage talks. If you come to part of Anambra where it exist you wont tell who is who until it gets to marriage but intermarriages has been going on.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
I have heard that before, but don't know if its true.
lionduke:
ORUKU is a village in Nkanu East LGA of Enugu State.
Since 1995 they have engaged in a serious communal war with UMUODE clan Which have destroyed many properties and lives as well .
REASON: They claim that the People of UMUODE are OSU.
Mr BATH NNAJI the former minister of power is from UMUODE. He has led his people to pride as Freeborn But they rarely marry outsiders.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
The OSU caste system is not just limited to those said to be dedicated to the gods, in recent times, it has been made to encompass all those people believed to have migrated from other parts of the
country and beyond to settle in any part of igboland. Some believed they came first and so are the rightful owners of the land, while late settlers were regarded as outcasts and classified together with the so called servants of the gods as 'OSU' or 'Oru'(slaves). It's all about political suppression of some people to the advantage of others.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Burger01(m): 7:31pm On Feb 10, 2015
Osu ke! Ishilove, you be OSUcheesy
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Cmanforall: 7:32pm On Feb 10, 2015
prissyluv:

Well,it will be easier for you to marry her if your people(family,relatives/umunna) doesnt have a strong thing for 'osu'. There was a case in my villa where the family and relatives of the man threatened him that if he dares marry the lady(oru) that they will forbid him from answering their name and even his own fathers name etc.
Hmmmm.If such be your case where your family is not in support,will you still go ahead despite your love for her?
....Jnrbayano, who knows his status in terms of osu or nwadiala?

The fact that a religious leader or whatever preaches against the Osu discrimination, he or she would not go ahead to marry one... Or allow his child marry one.
I wonder how this will be resolved in Igbo land. 'The Osu link' is even more sort for than genotypes when it comes to marriage. Parents/family members will even accept AS marrying an AS than when the person in question marries an Osu.

Igbos need seek solutions for this Osu thing.
I pity the pretty ladies and handsome youngmen that fall into this unknowingly.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Feb 10, 2015
l
uzolexis:

if u back trace the linage of pple bearing Nwosu they r of Osu descent, maybe not by birth but by marriage. That they hold traditional titles today shows that it's no longer practised.

***sigh***

Listen, I know my people's history. One of the most important men (and a man of title) in my town in the late 19th and early 20th century, when the Osu thing was alive and kicking, was called Nwosungene Afuluchi. And he was no Osu. No one in 1901 will give an Osu an Ozo title!

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Areacode213: 7:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
Intra-racial cruelty (black on black, in this instance). SMH for us humans!
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 10, 2015
Same with Ugbo people of Enugu, but my Town uses Nwaada instead of Nwadiala
uzolexis:

i am from Imo state and we use Nwafor as son of d soil nwadiala as our mother's pple/ sister's children....and it's the same in other parts of Imo state.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nickymezor(f): 7:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
Great question dear.Meanwhile I really hope dis archaic practice is banished soonest...it doesn't just make sense abeg. cry
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Ishilove: 7:36pm On Feb 10, 2015
Burger01:
Osu ke! Ishilove, you be OSUcheesy
Lol. cheesy

The Osu system really has no place in the 21st century.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by isaacimadojie(m): 7:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
hw was d first Osu(s) detected?hw did d so called freeborn know dat d odas were not freeborn,I ask?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Ephemmm: 7:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:
[s][/s]

Another mad man dancing na.ked in d market square.

Who released this Bingo at this late hour of the day please?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2015
Radoillo:
l

***sigh***

Listen, I know my people's history. One of the most important men (and a man of title) in my town in the late 19th and early 20th century, when the Osu thing was alive and kicking, was called Nwosungene Afuluchi. And he was no Osu. No one in 1901 will give an Osu an Ozo title!

ok,if u say so smiley
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by manny4life(m): 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:

Through an lineage trace; however, the OSU Caste System doesn't operate in the part of Anambra where I'm from.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by manny4life(m): 7:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
isaacimadojie:
hw was d first Osu(s) detected?hw did d so called freeborn know dat d odas were not freeborn,I ask?

Osu's aren't detected because they were known. The freeborn knew who they were because when they banished a family, it was openly done.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by kayemdy: 7:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
Abolishing OSU caste in igboland is like terminating corruption in totality in Nigeria.....even though it's nt impossible it's very difficult...

The fear of being ostracized by family is the backbone of its continued existence.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by patostation(m): 8:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
Jennydoris:
Seriously, something has to be done. Although they told us that it has been abolished long time ago but then the practice and the discrimination is still there.

Yes, it has been abolished but the fear of associating with them and the fear of what people will say, I believe is the reason why people still avoid getting in contact with them.

It's all hypocricy. Let me use my town as an example. There, the so-called 'Osu' are responsible for the major developmental projects. God has always blessed the Osu more in every village. When they bring their money, the 'nwadiala' accepts it without discrimination. Many 'nwadiala' are involved in sexual relationships with the 'osu'. Even the 'osus' participate in social events and sports. But when it comes to marriage, you are on your own. Nobody wants to marry an 'osu'. Even when the couple wishes to marry, the 'nwadiala' kinsmen will make sure it does not happen. Is that not hypocricy?

5 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by kayemdy: 8:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
manny4life:

Through an lineage trace; however, the OSU Caste System doesn't operate in the part of Anambra where I'm from.
have ur kindred ever attended a marriage ceremony uniting one of ur sons with an OSU
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by manny4life(m): 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2015
kayemdy:
have ur kindred ever attended a marriage ceremony uniting one of ur sons with an OSU

What's with the question?

15yrs ago, a cousin of mine married into an "OSU" family, although the father wasn't happy but he supported and blessed the marriage.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by MightySparrow: 8:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
I have always believe that igbos are unreasonably barbaric. The other day a nairalander wrote a thread about the survival of Yoruba culture in Latin American countries. You could imagine the bashing of Igbo writers on Yorubas.

Is this kind of culture that can survive among human beings?

Neither education nor Christianity has been able to change igbos from barbarism.

The other day my landlady's daughter's husband died, in the name of tradition, the deceased brothers chased the poor woman out of her house. While alive, the illiterate husband had prevented the wife ( a Masters degree holder) from working. The wicked brother - in - laws threw the poor woman and her children into a wilderness. Months later, you would not believe the woman and her children knew any affluence in their life before.
They - igbos- brag about all these vices.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 8:09pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:
All these thesis writers will write any rubbish to earn their PhD.

Osu caste system is dead and should be allowed to rest. Enough of flogging this issue. Christianity has stopped the act.

Today We have people bear Nwosu, osunkwo, osueke, etc Ngozi Nwosu, Ashley Nwosu etc are known nollywood actors bearing osu name. Did any of them tell u He is being persecuted?

Enough of these paper Rubbish.

I grew up reading and hearing about osu caste system on paper and preaching about it in church But have not seen any victimized, so Why wake a dead issue?

Some people here are telling you they have seen.

Just scroll up and read Mynd44's response to someone on page 2

That's why I made this thread.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by knowledgeable: 8:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
Jennydoris:
Seriously, something has to be done. Although they told us that it has been abolished long time ago but then the practice and the discrimination is still there.

Yes, it has been abolished but the fear of associating with them and the fear of what people will say, I believe is the reason why people still avoid getting in contact with them.

Pls, can anyone point to any hamlet, village, town, local government or state in either Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia or Ebony where a historical Osu structure is still in place?. Igbos are probably the most diasporan group in Africa, and therefore, import ideas that will always change their culture for the better. How come the, osu system of today escapes nollywood?.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy / For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.