Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! (35767 Views)

Is The Osu Caste System Still Practiced In Eastern Nigeria? / Osu Caste System In Igboland- A Tradition Painted With Discrimination- Oldnaija / Osu Caste System, Igbo Tradition Yet To Be Discarded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by patostation(m): 8:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Dude, you should probably ask questions about certain things before making bold assertions like this.

Are u from Awka? I am. I lived there for a long time and I still return whenever I can. Obi Gibson Nwosu is not of Osu descent...unless you are the only person alive that knows this.

In the past, Osu were important acolytes and keepers of shrines. As agents of gods, they could be consulted by (freeborn) people. A freeborn child whose conception was believed to have been facilitated by these shrine keepers could be named Nwosu. Needless to say, such children were not themselves Osu in any way.

Very correct. Anyone that bears "Nwosu" is certainly not an "Osu" in Igboland. You can check it out.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
uzolexis:

don't mind the OP, he doesn't even understand simple Igbo terms and he's here describing Osu that exist only in his dreams.

We are not competing my dear friend and nwafo ibe m. I just shared a write-up I came across while doing a bit of reading on the internet.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
uzolexis:

if u back trace the linage of pple bearing Nwosu they r of Osu descent, maybe not by birth but by marriage. That they hold traditional titles today shows that it's no longer practised.

You are ignorant of this issue,period. Rodoillo couldn't have explained it better.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
adeitoro:

Nne, you can lie I swear.

How haven't you seen an OSU before but the practice is still very much alive in your town.

To the topic, Osu caste system is dead in virtually all part of Igboland.

I grew up in the East, but uptill now I am yet to see an Osu.

Infact considering the discrimination meted to them favoured them, which turn most of them according to history as the Economic, Academic and Political gaints in Igboland.

I have not seen an OSU, I have not come in contact with any I still maintain that, but what I know is that the practice still holds. believe it or not.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by udy4real(m): 8:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
This should be abolished
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 8:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
patostation:

It's all hypocricy. Let me use my town as an example. There, the so-called 'Osu' are responsible for the major developmental projects. God has always blessed the Osu more in every village. When they bring their money, the 'nwadiala' accepts it without discrimination. Many 'nwadiala' are involved in sexual relationships with the 'osu'. Even the 'osus' participate in social events and sports. But when it comes to marriage, you are on your own. Nobody wants to marry an 'osu'. Even when the couple wishes to marry, the 'nwadiala' kinsmen will make sure it does not happen. Is that not hypocricy?

Call it hypocrisy... Or any thing you want, the practice still holds. Anyone can date an OSU knowingly or unknowingly. But when it comes to marriage.... That is when your kins men will remind you of the persons background.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Blackkie: 8:36pm On Feb 10, 2015
This issue remains quizzical.
This where Christianity failed to change the trend.

Unfortunately as it is today, coming against it is like facing a hungry lion in the open field.
The catholic Archbishop of Owerri - Obinna has been on this issue without success.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
uzolexis:

i am from Imo state and we use Nwafor as son of d soil nwadiala as our mother's pple/ sister's children....and it's the same in other parts of Imo state.

It still not the same...Nwadiana is "sister's child/children",while nnaochie/ndi nnam ochie is "my mother's people". Understand? Nwafor is widespread in Igboland. More so,I have heard Orlu people use umere nnem as" mother's people's " while Anambra say "nnaochie".
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 8:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
Mynd44:

Wrong, we need to tell our kids so they don't hear it from some numbskull and believe it
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by patostation(m): 8:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
knowledgeable:

Pls, can anyone point to any hamlet, village, town, local government or state in either Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia or Ebony where a historical Osu structure is still in place?. Igbos are probably the most diasporan group in Africa, and therefore, import ideas that will always change their culture for the better. How come the, osu system of today escapes nollywood?.

The wicked system still thrives. As the OP mentioned, no marriage proceeds without the usual "enquiry" about one's "Osu status". Except there is an 'accidental pregnancy'. I know a Jehovah's Witness man whose daughter married an "Osu". The man's kinsmen had to fence him in to prevent further contact with the rest of the family. As they claim, when a 'nwa-afo' marries an "Osu", his entire family is contaminated, not just the main culprit. Ostracism becomes the rule.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
Jennydoris:

I have not seen an OSU, I have not come in contact with any I still maintain that, but what I know is that the practice still holds. believe it or not.

Its possible,some people know what it is and know it exists but never seen one. In my town we are neighbor to them. They have beautiful girls and many people date them and would like to marry them but because of what people will say and the stigma that comes with it.

Before they never used to take ozo title but now they do everything with everybody except marriage. I have some of them as friends and we are like brother...eat and drink with them,too but marriage is still a problem.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by patostation(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
Due to this wicked system, many Igbos who know how hard it is to marry with such stigma hanging on their necks now marry people from other tribes.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by donkennedy005: 9:01pm On Feb 10, 2015
Anybody still believing this so called osu caste is an idolater because our grandfathers did so many attrocities because of not God. So now we have known christ those things suppose to abolished in our minds. For there is no condemnation to those which are in christ. I have a friend from ngor okpala in imo state He told me that their people still hold firmly to this belief, to the extent that one professor in their place was Neglected and discriminated and prohibited to contest for a in the state because he was from osu kindred. This is totally trash but people that called themselves christian are the people who still believe this, how do you think that your are going to heaven? . If you are in christ you are a new creature old things have passed away have away all becoming new.

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by mavelo: 9:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
cool # JE SUIS OSU!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Jennydoris(f): 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Its possible,some people know what it is and know it exists but never seen one. In my town we are neighbor to them. They have beautiful girls and many people date them and would like to marry them but because of what people will say and the stigma that comes with it.

Before they never used to take ozo title but now they do everything with everybody except marriage. I have some of them as friends and we are like brother...eat and drink with them,too but marriage is still a problem.

Yes, the OSU people now form there own group, the do almost what the other people do including taking the ozo title.. You can associate with them like you said but the marriage issue remains a problem.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2015
knowledgeable:

Pls, can anyone point to any hamlet, village, town, local government or state in either Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia or Ebony where a historical Osu structure is still in place?. Igbos are probably the most diasporan group in Africa, and therefore, import ideas that will always change their culture for the better. How come the, osu system of today escapes nollywood?.
The OSU caste system still exists in Enugu. However, like I said in my previous post, people brand others as 'osu' or 'oru' for mainly for political reasons. When Enugu state governor was sick, some people faught tooth and nail to ensure that the deputy who was said to be an 'oru' did not assume the position of governor. Former minister of power, prof Barth Nnaji was removed from office partly as a result of gang ups from
those who saw his ppolitical success as threat because he was believed to be an 'oru'.

Let's not pretend that these things are not happening!
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Arysexy(m): 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
[s]
jnrbayano:

Some people here are telling you they have seen.

Just scroll up and read Mynd44's response to someone on page 2

That's why I made this thread.
[/s]

We are talking of igbo culture, u are referring me to mynd a known yoloba tribalist. Are u new here?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 10, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

It still not the same...Nwadiana is "sister's child/children",while nnaochie/ndi nnam ochie is "my mother's people". Understand? Nwafor is widespread in Igboland. More so,I have heard Orlu people use umere nnem as" mother's people's " while Anambra say "nnaochie".
You're right Odenigbo. 'Umure nnem' is what we in Orlu area of Imo state call our maternal home and 'Nnaochie' a name we call our mother's brothers. In return we are called 'Nwa nwa'.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 9:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:
[s][/s]

We are talking of igbo culture, u are referring me to mynd a known yoloba tribalist. Are u new here?

Dear I hate wars. No matter what his affiliation is he stated my reasons for making this thread.

Nwanne m, I consider it rude when you also cancelled my moniker while quoting me.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uduokirika1(m): 9:34pm On Feb 10, 2015
OSU caste is dead, it only rears its ugly head during marriage inquiry. Please those shouting discrimination how?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:
All these thesis writers will write any rubbish to earn their PhD.

Osu caste system is dead and should be allowed to rest. Enough of flogging this issue. Christianity has stopped the act.

Today We have people bear Nwosu, osunkwo, osueke, etc Ngozi Nwosu, Ashley Nwosu etc are known nollywood actors bearing osu name. Did any of them tell u He is being persecuted?

Enough of these paper Rubbish.

I grew up reading and hearing about osu caste system on paper and preaching about it in church But have not seen any victimized, so Why wake a dead issue?

Your church started the discrimination in the early days and now is using it as a tool.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

No need to endear traditional religion to Igbos. They have gone past that era.

You shut your mouth. I will shoe your era. Shameless chimpanzee.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
Beerem:
If the osu are people dedicated to the gods but yet very ill treated, it means the Igbo do not regard their gods.

Na soo. It doesnt make sense.

This is all cowardly tactics formulated by missionaries yo play with our brains.

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2015
Eseries:
Hello everyone!
I want to state categorically clear that osu is hardly an issue in the contemporary Igbo society.
Just think about numerous famous Igbos bearing Nwaosu (decendant/children of Osu) as surname. They are all well received and celebrated in their various communities.
In today's world young ones marry whosoever they want be it oyibo, people from other tribes and nationalities, Osu is hardly one of the issues to be bothered about. There is this girl that bears Nwosu that graduated with first class in my department, You think peradventure it happened we chose to marry anyone can stop me because she is "osu"?
Believe me most people think like me except few old conservative people and their opinion hardly matter.

Just like killing of twins babies, selling people out to slavery and other nefarious practices found in our culture have been phased out.

If there there is a group that embraces change that comes along with civility, Igbo are the one!
no one gives a dammn about if you osu or not, become a success and people will celebrate and associate with you! who do hell even keep track of who is osu or who is their children or let alone children of their children? shocked shocked

Igbos killed twins? U dey craze abi?

And btw only criminal Obos could be soiled by their own kinsmen.

Also slavery in Afroca was different from slaves treatment in the Americas.

3 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Arysexy(m): 9:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
jnrbayano:

Dear I hate wars. No matter what his affiliation is he stated my reasons for making this thread.

Nwanne m, I consider it rude when you also cancelled my moniker while quoting me.

Apologies bro.

No vex
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by knowledgeable: 9:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
donpeey22:
The OSU caste system still exists in Enugu. However, like I said in my previous post, people brand others as 'osu' or 'oru' for mainly for political reasons. When Enugu state governor was sick, some people faught tooth and nail to ensure that the deputy who was said to be an 'oru' did not assume the position of governor. Former minister of power, prof Barth Nnaji was removed from office partly as a result of gang ups from
those who saw his ppolitical success as threat because he was believed to be an 'oru'.

Let's not pretend that these things are not happening!

My friend, this is passive labeling. Has any of those names you mentioned, have been osu casted in their life?. And thus, my question, .....name any place in Igbo land, that the historical osu structures still exist?...simple.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 9:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
Arysexy:

Apologies bro.

No vex

smiley

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by eduxerxes: 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
cococandy:
they are discriminated against especially marriage wise. I'm Igbo . I know. Nauseating practice I'm totally against
its okay. We just gotta let the practice die a natural death. A generation will arise who will not give recognition to the practice. So long as our fathers who had contact with the originators are still alive and well aware of the practice, u better steer clear of "osu" else ur parents disown that person. In igbo, "Umunna kacha". Ur parents will'nt want to be ostracized 4rm "umunna" meetings because an obnoxious child strayed. Not at all.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
knowledgeable:

My friend, this is passive labeling. Has any of those names you mentioned, have been osu casted in their life?. And thus, my question, .....name any place in Igbo land, that the historical osu structures still exist?...simple.
'passive labelling' he called it! Obviously you don't know that both the cases of those people I mentioned are tied to the same 'osu' caste system. In the part of Enugu where I come from, we don't use the term 'osu', we use ' Amadi 'and 'Odenigbo' but they both mean the same as 'Nwadiala' and 'OSU' commonly used by those from Imo , in both cases they refer to the same bigotry that some people are freeborn while others are visitors/slaves. Forget the historical whatever, It's all meant to gain political advantage. That's why it still persists!
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ElekeNtioba: 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Your church started the discrimination in the early days and now is using it as a tool.

enough with the false assertions. D discrimination has been even before d arrival of Christianity.

Infact, christanity helped break the boundary between d "osu' and 'nwadiala'. As pple turned to christianity, the osu caste sytem became obsolete.

Osu caste system was the product of then traditional practises and beliefs of the Igbos. Fortunately, just like the traditional religion of the Igbos, the osu system is almost extinct.

Find some other ethnic group dat hate progress to preach to.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Kingsasian(m): 11:03pm On Feb 10, 2015
Na wa o. I tot this system hv long been abolished. God help the igbos. Anyway osu or no osu I will marry any igbo lady of my choice.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
Kingsasian:
Na wa o. I tot this system hv long been abolished. God help the igbos. Anyway osu or no osu I will marry any igbo lady of my choice.

Shades of it still remain.

Christianity has brought us thus far and in years to come "osu caste" will be no more.

In my head no one is "osu"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Declares Ifa Priests Wanted, Sues Them For Giving Oyinbo Titles / The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.