Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:11 PM

Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! (36594 Views)

Is The Osu Caste System Still Practiced In Eastern Nigeria? / Osu Caste System In Igboland- A Tradition Painted With Discrimination- Oldnaija / Osu Caste System, Igbo Tradition Yet To Be Discarded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Kingsasian(m): 11:20pm On Feb 10, 2015
jnrbayano:

Shades of it still remain.

Christianity has brought us thus far and in years to come "osu caste" will be no more.

In my head no one is "osu"
I just hope so. Although I am not an igbo but I so much love their culture.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2015
Kingsasian:
I just hope so. Although I am not an igbo but I so much love their culture.

We appreciate you bro
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 11:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
Truckpusher:
What they told you is akin to dressing up your battered domestic househelp nicely whenever her family pays you a visit that has been announced.

Your source is hiding the truth from you.Did your source also tell you that they are usually sacrificed for whatever reasons they deem necessary?

Yes I did read about the sacrificial part but then some people gladly accepted serving their communities as sacrificial lambs...it's nt jst Igboland or Osu

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 11:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
jnrbayano:

We are not competing my dear friend and nwafo ibe m. I just shared a write-up I came across while doing a bit of reading on the internet.

ok but it's an old write up, 2010 i think...a lot of things have changed.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 11:37pm On Feb 10, 2015
ElekeNtioba:
Osu caste system is a dying if not already-dead culture.

99% of present-day Igbo youths only heard abt it in social studies class. They have never seen an 'osu' person or the discrimination in practise.

Which makes me conclude that this whole Osu thing is unduly taken out of proportion

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by jnrbayano(m): 11:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
uzolexis:

ok but it's an old write up, 2010 i think...a lot of things have changed.

Assuming you never saw this write-up don't you think you wont have the basis to proclaim these changes evident today?

It's on the older literature (system) that you evaluate the present literature (system) to find out to what extent the changes have occurred.

Education is key to these changes.

Do you disagree? smiley
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Olufemiolaolu(m): 12:05am On Feb 11, 2015
Backward people & tradition. If d so called osu becomes rich, wont they associate with him or her?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by sonnie10: 12:14am On Feb 11, 2015
macof:

Yes I did read about the sacrificial part but then some people gladly accepted serving their communities as sacrificial lambs...it's nt jst Igboland or Osu

When people hear sacrifices, they think about killing and slaughtering. Osu were never killed, they were only given to the gods as living sacrifices. As a matter of fact, it was an abomination to shed the blood of an Osu

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 12:17am On Feb 11, 2015
Beerem:
If the osu are people dedicated to the gods but yet very ill treated, it means the Igbo do not regard their gods.

True. If all these stories about ill treatment of Osu is correct then the Alusi are the ones actually being disrespected
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 12:18am On Feb 11, 2015
sonnie10:

When people hear sacrifices, they think about killing and slaughtering. Osu were never killed, they were only given to the gods as living sacrifices. As a matter of fact, it was an abomination to shed the blood of an Osu

Ok. So the idea is sacrificing their lives in service nt blood.
Now I understand better
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 12:20am On Feb 11, 2015
Eseries:
Hello everyone!
I want to state categorically clear that osu is hardly an issue in the contemporary Igbo society.
Just think about numerous famous Igbos bearing Nwaosu (decendant/children of Osu) as surname. They are all well received and celebrated in their various communities.
In today's world young ones marry whosoever they want be it oyibo, people from other tribes and nationalities, Osu is hardly one of the issues to be bothered about. There is this girl that bears Nwosu that graduated with first class in my department, You think peradventure it happened we chose to marry anyone can stop me because she is "osu"?
Believe me most people think like me except few old conservative people and their opinion hardly matter.

Just like killing of twins babies, selling people out to slavery and other nefarious practices found in our culture have been phased out.

If there there is a group that embraces change that comes along with civility, Igbo are the one!
no one gives a dammn about if you osu or not, become a success and people will celebrate and associate with you! who do hell even keep track of who is osu or who is their children or let alone children of their children? shocked shocked

Did Igbos ever practice killing of twins where and when?
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by filebe777: 12:22am On Feb 11, 2015
jnrbayano:
Tony Uchenna wrote:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/osu-caste-in-igboland/

Does these animals from the east still practise this nonsense ni?
Awon eleribu won yen
O ma se oooooo
Aye won ti baje tipe tipe eeee
Ipe wa lara won ni iiii
oooo
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 12:28am On Feb 11, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

enough with the false assertions. D discrimination has been even before d arrival of Christianity.

Infact, christanity helped break the boundary between d "osu' and 'nwadiala'. As pple turned to christianity, the osu caste sytem became obsolete.

Osu caste system was the product of then traditional practises and beliefs of the Igbos. Fortunately, just like the traditional religion of the Igbos, the osu system is almost extinct.

Find some other ethnic group dat hate progress to preach to.

Yet you don't feel the least bit suspicious that it's churches that talk about Osu in this manner.
christianity cannot be trusted, there's too much lies and deceit both in the origins and modern conduct of christianity
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by macof(m): 12:31am On Feb 11, 2015
pDude:
Osu indeed. angry

African people and their crappy traditional practices. That is why every other country has advanced and left us in the dust.

Mtscheww

That is no fault of tradition but disunity, lack of education and priorities, all mostly due to foreign religion

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Odunharry(m): 1:14am On Feb 11, 2015
cool learning
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 11, 2015
cococandy:
they are discriminated against especially marriage wise. I'm Igbo . I know. Nauseating practice I'm totally against
Smh. Nne , biko tell me the part of Igboland that is still discriminating against Ndiosu? I just don't want to call you an ignoramous... Cos it's long dead...

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 1:28am On Feb 11, 2015
jnrbayano:

Assuming you never saw this write-up don't you think you wont have the basis to proclaim these changes evident today?

It's on the older literature (system) that you evaluate the present literature (system) to find out to what extent the changes have occurred.

Education is key to these changes.

Do you disagree? smiley

AGREED
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by uzolexis(f): 1:30am On Feb 11, 2015
filebe777:

Awon eleribu won yen
O ma se oooooo
Ipe wa lara won ni iiii
oooo

u my friend r a lost soul......
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:46am On Feb 11, 2015
Jennydoris:
Seriously, something has to be done. Although they told us that it has been abolished long time ago but then the practice and the discrimination is still there.

Yes, it has been abolished but the fear of associating with them and the fear of what people will say, I believe is the reason why people still avoid getting in contact with them.
Biko, name the town or village that is still discriminating against ndiosu?Cos my maternal side surname is OSU from Nanka, Anambra state. And they have never been discriminated anywhere in Nigeria. I don't know where you people get this nonsense from...

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 11, 2015
Manny4life please could you email me babyosisi@hotmail.com
Please mention me somewhere when you send the email.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:52am On Feb 11, 2015
filebe777:

Awon eleribu won yen
O ma se oooooo
Ipe wa lara won ni iiii
oooo
Just what is this dirty thing speaking? Cos I don't understand monkey...

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 11, 2015
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 11, 2015
filebe777:

Awon eleribu won yen
O ma se oooooo
Ipe wa lara won ni iiii
oooo

How barbaric abi?
Your enlightened kind will take a perfectly normal child that God gave you,pin them down and use a heated metal to turn him or her into something worse than osu by solving quadratic equations on their faces.
I hear you nna, modernized folks
Clear off Jor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by sonnie10: 1:58am On Feb 11, 2015
babyosisi:

How barbaric abi?
Your enlightened kind will take a perfectly normal child that God gave you,pin them down and use a heated metal to turn him or her into something worse than osu by solving quadratic equations on their faces.
I hear you nna, modernized folks

grin grin Nothing person no hear for una mouth. This is TKO.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 2:21am On Feb 11, 2015
MightySparrow:
I have always believe that igbos are unreasonably barbaric. The other day a nairalander wrote a thread about the survival of Yoruba culture in Latin American countries. You could imagine the bashing of Igbo writers on Yorubas.

Is this kind of culture that can survive among human beings?

Neither education nor Christianity has been able to change igbos from barbarism.

The other day my landlady's daughter's husband died, in the name of tradition, the deceased brothers chased the poor woman out of her house. While alive, the illiterate husband had prevented the wife ( a Masters degree holder) from working. The wicked brother - in - laws threw the poor woman and her children into a wilderness. Months later, you would not believe the woman and her children knew any affluence in their life before.
They - igbos- brag about all these vices.

We hear you
No be for this nairaland we read about Obas eating body parts of their dead predecessors before they ascend the throne in this 21st century
State approved cannibalism in oduduwa land
Na which people start Ogboni and similar cults
Umu Awolowo
Twins gifts from God but Yorubas have idols in the 21st century for twin babies
Envy thing is juju
No be for here we read about your women going naked in fetish protests from state to state raining curses on their men
Elementary school teachers threatening state governments with juju
Which other tribe does these things
So called modernized folks with no flaws
Ordinary church to worship God,una carry juju enter church again called it Cele,holy sabbath and cherubim and all those flesh eating white garment things you introduced to Nigeria
Is there any Yoruba family that doesn't have a family/ personal babalawo like folks have family physicians sotay una come get babalawo tunes
Babalawo mowa be be shocked
Even Islam sef,you folks formed a juju version of Islam and created your own juju mosques with jujufied alfas
Tua

Those in glass houses don't throw stones di anyi

3 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ElekeNtioba: 2:33am On Feb 11, 2015
macof:

Yet you don't feel the least bit suspicious that it's churches that talk about Osu in this manner.
christianity cannot be trusted, there's too much lies and deceit both in the origins and modern conduct of christianity

You dont get it. Theres nothing remotely good about osu caste system. It was a traditional practise that turned into an obnoxious discriminatory system. Christianity merely opened people's eyes. Persons of various faiths in igbo land have condemned practises like d osu system not just the churches.

Christiniaty has helped Igbos get rid of many traditional practises that are incompatible with modern values. Practises like d caste system, killing of twins, etc

As for christianity not to be trusted, all i can say is dat christianity should not be judged by the actions of christians especially when some of their actions are contrary to the message of Christ. While the message of Christ is divine, His followers are not; they are human after all.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by ElekeNtioba: 2:42am On Feb 11, 2015
macof:

Did Igbos ever practice killing of twins where and when?

you mean u never heard of Mary Slessor.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by cococandy(f): 2:46am On Feb 11, 2015
pDude:
Osu indeed. angry

African people and their crappy traditional practices. That is why every other country has advanced and left us in the dust.

Mtscheww
exactly. All over Nigeria, one tribe or the other has some stupid belief they hold onto tenaciously that's limiting our progress as a whole nation.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by cococandy(f): 2:48am On Feb 11, 2015
Mekymuo:
Smh. Nne , biko tell me the part of Igboland that is still discriminating against Ndiosu? I just don't want to call you an ignoramous... Cos it's long dead...
you're the one who doesn't know what you're saying.
I've seen it happen.
Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by cococandy(f): 2:49am On Feb 11, 2015
Don't mind them. They are making it a tribal thing instead of speaking up about bad practices in their own areas too.
Hiding the problem doesn't solve it
babyosisi:

We hear you
No be for this nairaland we read about Obas eating body parts of their dead predecessors before they ascend the throne in this 21st century
State approved cannibalism in oduduwa land
Na which people start Ogboni and similar cults
Umu Awolowo
No be for here we read about your women going naked in fetish protests from state to state
Elementary school teachers threatening state governments with juju
Which other tribe does these things
So called modernized folks with no flaws
Ordinary church to worship God,una carry juju enter church again called it Cele,holy sabbath and cherubim and all those flesh eating white garment things you introduced to Nigeria
Even Islam sef,you folks formed a juju version of Islam
Tua

Those in glass houses don't throw stones di anyi

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System! Such A Terrible Practice!! by Nobody: 2:57am On Feb 11, 2015
cococandy:
Don't mind them. They are making it a tribal thing instead of speaking up about bad practices in their own areas too.
Hiding the problem doesn't solve it

They pretend it doesn't exist or hope no one finds out
People wey dey use use juju as morning mouth wash

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? / Akpaala Okwu (idioms). / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.