Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,543 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law (22259 Views)

Mimiko Working Towards Election Postponement – Akeredolu / Jega Live In The Senate. Speaks On Election Postponement And Card Reader. / Nigerians In Abuja Protest Against Election Postponement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by siraj1402(m): 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2015
I beg make law go rest.Election postponement and position of Nigerians is #ElectionMustHold.Simple.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 05, 2015
gabriel212:
Thanks for enlighten the group.
This is what i put forward to a guy in my office blindly arguing against FEB14 election on the premise that PVC is yet distributed evenly forgetting that there are lay down principle for the postponement which is solely the responsibility of the Electoral Umpire as it may deem fit.
You are welcome buddy...
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:53pm On Feb 05, 2015
giantstrides:
Someone pls help me here, I am kinda confused, has PDP become the opposition party because I am hearing all kinds of allegation from them about collusion between INEC and APC. That seems to me to be the basic strategy of the opposition during elections, or did buhari appoint Jega as Inec's chairman...me thinks Jonathan is a goner and he knows it, there is no sense postponing the election, at least he has more time to pack all his property out of Aso rock.

Barcanista, there are 68 million registered voters, thus 68 Million Permanent Voter Cards are in the system..
As of today, February 4th, INEC has stated that only 44 million (66%) have been distributed. In other words, 22 million voters are yet to receive their cards. Jega should either allow the use of Temporary voters' cards or postpone the elections to allow registered voters collect their PVCs. It's that simple.

1 Like

Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
Do you think this PDP govt ever worries about negative consequences for our nation?

Do you think that it would refuse to do America's bidding if it was instructed by America to suspend elections.

Pray for our nation but be ready to fight for it very soon.
orinocopulse:
Thanks for the info Barcanista.

Sure there are grounds for the postponement. But when you weigh them versus the possible negative consequences, I think it's best to just have it.

INEC has had FOUR YEARS. A few more weeks won't do the trick. Besides, wasn't there a report that all PVCs are ready, of which we will NEVER have up to 90% collection even if you move the polls to December 2020!!

Most Nigerians just want to get it over with!
Let's do this!
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by jkendy(m): 1:59pm On Feb 05, 2015
No solution in dis ur long grammar...............

We need the election as earlier scheduled
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Barcanista, there are 68 million registered voters, thus 68 Million Permanent Voter Cards are in the system..
As of today, February 4th, INEC has stated that only 44 million (66%) have been distributed. In other words, 22 million voters are yet to receive their cards. Jega should either allow the use of Temporary voters' cards or postpone the elections to allow registered voters collect their PVCs. It's that simple.
Bro, the TVC is a no-no, INEC has said all PVCs are available. Whoever in need should go and collect. Nobody will bring it to anybody's doorstep. If the pvcs aren't available, fine..but they are, so no excuse.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, the TVC is a no-no, INEC has said all PVCs are available. Whoever in need should go and collect. Nobody will bring it to anybody's doorstep. If the pvcs aren't available, fine..but they are, so no excuse.

My mother tried to collect for days now and considering her age, cannot be on the queue for long. She only succeeded in collecting hers yesterday and lost her gold necklace in the process. In the event that TVCs won't be allowed, Jega has no option than to postpone the elections. INEC can't disenfranchise more than 20 million Nigerians.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Phikom(m): 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2015
barcanista:
gbam!...dat says it...wa gbayi
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2015
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by agabusta: 2:09pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

INEC: Ballot papers ready, 48 million PVCs distributed
http://www.punchng.com/news/inec-ballot-papers-ready-48-million-pvcs-distributed/

Please take the correction above. With the correction, that makes it 70% that have collected their PVCs. The election is good to go!

No need for postponement.

Meanwhile.......GMB/PYO!!!
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by agabusta: 2:10pm On Feb 05, 2015
barcanista:

http://www.punchng.com/news/inec-ballot-papers-ready-48-million-pvcs-distributed/
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

My mother tried to collect for days now and considering her age, cannot be on the queue for long. She only succeeded in collecting hers yesterday and lost her gold necklace in the process. In the event that TVCs won't be allowed, Jega has no option than to postpone the elections. INEC can't disenfranchise more than 20 million Nigerians.
Sorry about yourmom's experience. But it is not enough excuse bro.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 05, 2015
egift:
Very good. Change is here to stay. God bless Nigeria!
Thanks brother

1 Like

Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
agabusta:

Please take the correction above. With the correction, that makes it 70% that have collected their PVCs. The election is good to go!

No need for postponement.

Meanwhile.......GMB/PYO!!!

Bro, the link you provided says 65.5% so what are you on about?
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by organic973: 2:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
Still waiting for the final verdict.......
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
Only the opposition wants the election postponed,and that is PDP and its supporters.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by gratiaeo(m): 2:22pm On Feb 05, 2015
Did Buhari follow electoral law while submitting his certificate? GEJ can use affidavit from court to postpone the election
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by gratiaeo(m): 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2015
GenBuhari:
When has the ruling PDP govt ever allowed the law to get in their way?

Don't put too much hope in the law.

After all if we are a law abiding nation criminals like Thief O. certificateless almajiri general like Buhari and IBB would be cooling thier feet in jail by now.

If there are no consequences for breaking the law, you have a lawless country - the only thing left is the law of the jungle.

Bottom line Nigerian youths has a decision to make in the next few days if the elections are postponed or cancelled; either keep quiet and face whatever fate befalls them or they start their revolution.

That juncture is fast approaching.
modified
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by BotherMleeper(m): 2:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
zimoni:
bla bla bla bla whatever.

The Most Important Thing Is That Jonathan Must Rule till 2019.

Lobatan O Jarey.

Must? Ok let him win elections first.

Second, Democratically elected leaders lead, not rule. nigeria isnt a monarchy.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by fathermikky: 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
For Apc they will not be happy the prosponding of the election because all most all the northerners have gotting their owner pvc,we want every body to vote for were you will not regret in future
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 05, 2015
Ifeconwaba:
ABIA WILL BE BETTER VOTE UCHE CHUTA FOR CHANGE

This dude looks like an ex Internet fraudster
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by omenka(m): 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2015
barcanista:
Cc: Seun, Obinoscopy, Ngwakwe, Ishilove, Lalasticlala

Bcc: Omenka jmaine Phuckphuckman Stebell Caseless egift Obiagelli etal...
Nice writeup bro. At least some people might get prepared for battle with this rather than hoping that there might be no contest at all.

Jonathan is clearly afraid of going to the polls due to the popularity of the opposition candidate and nothing else. Forget all the stories about PVCs; they've been made available and anyone who's yet to collect does so to their own disadvantage.

Ps: You should learn to filter your mentions appropriately. Thanks.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Bro, the link you provided says 65.5% so what are you on about?
Bro, even if collection rate is 1% as long as the pvcs are available, election won't be postponed.
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Nobody: 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2015
GenBuhari:
So you believe Professor Jega and INEC are independant do you?

Dont count on it our judiciary is not even independant, if so why has it been allowing PDP to rig elections time after time without anulling or suspending announcement of winner until opposition complaints have been investigated?

Nigeria is lawless and that is the simple truth.

Never rely on the law, you have to have alternative plan to get justice.
Sir, Constitutional and judicial rules didn't set a time frame for the adjudication of election petitions. That's why the Supreme Court delivered a verdict on the 2003 presidential election in July 2005, and why the Court of Appeal sacked Ngige 2 years after his 'election'.
I wish the NBA, the Ministry of Justice, the NASS and other concerned citizens propose constitutional amendments to correct the anomaly.

1 Like

Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by BRAV0O(m): 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2015
Postponing the election base on PVC collection issue is just baseless to me , postpone it from now till next year I knew some nigerians that won't even bother to collect theirs or that won't even go out to vote so what's the stress ? The election should hold cus we can't wait to get over all dis

1 Like

Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Kundagarten: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
barcanista:
Bro, even if collection rate is 1% as long as the pvcs are available, election won't be postponed.

And if the election is postponed what will you do?
Re: Election Postponement And The Position Of The Law by Faibuhari: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2015
transit4:
MY Election day Pledge!
I pledge to Nigeria my country.
NOT To vote BUHARI and OSINBAJO ,
To be gentle, loyal and faithful on election day.
To vote JONATHAN and SAMBO with all my
strength,
To protect my vote and uphold no violence and
trouble.
To defend Transformation..
So help me God!
thanks for being a Patriot. GEJ till 2019

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdumumuni Jubril Must Go – Reps / Osun Election: Lawmakers Begin Hand-over Of Power From APC To PDP / Why We Set Aside N4.9billion For Aso Rock Electrical Maintenance - DG Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.