Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,086 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

mODIFIED - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / mODIFIED (10425 Views)

modified / mODIFIED / mODIFIED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 07, 2015
barcanista:
My dear, check it out, the coupist that brought him topower could not get him to their bidding in 1984. By the way, whatever money any crook spend on GMB's campaign is Nigeria's money. When Buhari get to power, he will ensure that no money is looted and arrest thieves.
2nded bro, it makes me shudder each moment i hear blind idealist chanting gej jst becoz d guy is gud in covering his tracks,,he is a bald hope

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by sammyj: 10:11am On Feb 07, 2015
smiley
Re: mODIFIED by giantstrides(m): 10:22am On Feb 07, 2015
Candyrain:
You've been acting like one.

Yeah right, and I'm buhari's long lost last born. The guy just wants real positive change not the transformation nonsense being bandied about.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 07, 2015
Smartestelvis:
2nded bro, it makes me shudder each moment i hear blind idealist chanting gej jst becoz d guy is gud in covering his tracks,,he is a bald hope
God bless you! I don't see any future under GEJ

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 07, 2015
giantstrides:

Yeah right, and I'm buhari's long lost last born. The guy just wants real positive change not the transformation nonsense being bandied about.
Thank you my brother.
Re: mODIFIED by cassyrooy(m): 10:38am On Feb 07, 2015
chymystique:

Are you serious @ this u wrote?? You telling me that he intends biting the hands that fed him? If Buhari is a saint as u painting him to be here, how come he is associating with crooks and corrupt officials all in the name of power.. don't you think such a man can't be trusted to manage Nigeria? I know GEJ ain't good but GMB ain't electable and he is a pretender.. GMB's supporters should get into their skull that GMB CAN NEVER BE PRESIDENT of a united Nigeria!
Somethings are left unsaid, but you spoken wisely. I dont see GMB as a president, even though he wins chaos and hysteria will not just run into neighbbouring countries. Have pro-GMB thought about international politics? Will he understand Nigerias' stand, aim and agenda in the international scene? By the way how will he communicate with the likes of Cameron, Putin, Obama and other elite leaders when his oratory is as poor as my 3year-old nieces'. Think Nigeria, we are respected international and known for our excellence in education, sentiment of voting out GEJ is over-hyped when GMB seem to be the sole replacement. We progressed from OBJ to Yar' Adua then GEJ, all being more educated and more diplomatic-what democracy entail. Going with GMB is like bring my grandma to be my class prefect.

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by zendy: 10:40am On Feb 07, 2015
I hear Buhari say:
"I will end corruption"
"I will end Boko Haram"
"I will boost the economy"
"I will this" "I will that"

Has anyone ever heard Buhari actually say how he will achieve these things? Or is he another politician talking for the sake of talking? Why is Buhari such a polarising figure?

There an old proverb that goes "before you tear down a wall,first find out why that wall was erected in the first place". There is no point replacing Jonathan with someone who might be worse. There is absolutely nothing about Buhari that shows he will better than Jonathan,not one thing. APC calls it self a progressive party but elected someone with a shameful past like Buhari who has shown on countless occasions that he is anything but progressive. An accomplished coup plotter,killer,human rights abuser and religious bigot is the best Nigeria has to offer? In most developed democracies,just the fact that Buhari overthrew a democratically elected Government is enough reason for him to hide his face in political obscurity. A lot of Buhari supporters may not know this but the election of Buhari is also the selection of secession of the SE/SS from Nigeria. Should Buhari be elected,Boko Haram will be the least of Nigerias problems because the separatist groups of South East and the Niger-Delta militants will unite to wage a war of separation from the Nigerian state. Buhari can campaign all he likes but he won't be president of Nigeria,not a united one any way.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: mODIFIED by fathermikky: 11:04am On Feb 07, 2015
Now Apc are saying buhari is the man that will bring change to us but is political statement you all supporters,but am asking since when he was young he did not bring,but now he is old that he can bring change this is pue lies he should take the change to northerners that they need change to be develop.GEJ 2019

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 6:22pm On Feb 09, 2015
Brilliant piece my brother! Endorsed
Abduletudaye:
@Barcanista, many people will only show a blind eye to what you just wrote..

What I wonder is...
1. All of a sudden, Buhari is a very bad and heartless man.

2. All of a sudden, Buhari is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

3. All of a sudden, Buhari wants to Islamise Nigeria.

4. All of a sudden, Buhari wants to take the country backwards.

Why is that...

1. All of a sudden, there's a decrease in per barrel price of crude leading to the reduction of PMS.

2. All of a sudden, Kerosene has also reduced..

3. All of a sudden, $1.2billion is to be refunded into federal purse.

4. All of a sudden, the uses of the SURE-P funds are being televised.

5. All of a sudden, Buhari was the one who erupted the 2011 violence..some even say they have evidence..

Its really serious..

I think Nigerians don't want to be ruled with IRON FIST and reduce corruption to atleast 1%.

Gov Amaechi said: The only reason why we keep stealing is because you don't throw stones at us.

I pray Nigeria gets better one day..

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Abduletudaye(m): 7:48pm On Feb 09, 2015
barcanista:
Brilliant piece my brother! Endorsed

That post motivated me to write it ni.. So much negativity..why

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
I don't get bro...
Abduletudaye:

That post motivated me to write it ni.. So much negativity..why

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Abduletudaye(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2015
barcanista:
I don't get bro...

Time will tell..
Re: mODIFIED by focus7: 10:07pm On Feb 09, 2015

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by mandhi(m): 11:45pm On Feb 09, 2015
cassyrooy:
Somethings are left unsaid, but you spoken wisely. I dont see GMB as a president, even though he wins chaos and hysteria will not just run into neighbbouring countries. Have pro-GMB thought about international politics? Will he understand Nigerias' stand, aim and agenda in the international scene? By the way how will he communicate with the likes of Cameron, Putin, Obama and other elite leaders when his oratory is as poor as my 3year-old nieces'. Think Nigeria, we are respected international and known for our excellence in education, sentiment of voting out GEJ is over-hyped when GMB seem to be the sole replacement. We progressed from OBJ to Yar' Adua then GEJ, all being more educated and more diplomatic-what democracy entail. Going with GMB is like bring my grandma to be my class prefect.
Can u kindly elaborate on how GEJ has enhanced our excellence in Education to the international community putting to consideration all the interviews conducted by international community.
Re: mODIFIED by KanwuliaJara: 11:49pm On Feb 09, 2015
SIX WEEKS to FUNERAL Procession! cheesy
APC=EXPIRED DRUG PUSSSSSSSERS! : grin

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by cassyrooy(m): 11:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
mandhi:

Can u kindly elaborate on how GEJ has enhanced our excellence in Education to the international community putting to consideration all the interviews conducted by international community.
*Elaborates*

bUHARI is a no no atleast for me.
jONATHAN ain't any close to a priest not to talk of a saint.

2 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:08am On Feb 10, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
SIX WEEKS to FUNERAL Procession! cheesy
APC=EXPIRED DRUG PUSSSSSSSERS! : grin
Ýour own brand of weed ehn.....

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:11am On Feb 10, 2015
fathermikky:
Now Apc are saying buhari is the man that will bring change to us but is political statement you all supporters,but am asking since when he was young he did not bring,but now he is old that he can bring change this is pue lies he should take the change to northerners that they need change to be develop.GEJ 2019
did you read the original post?
Re: mODIFIED by Badgers14: 12:25am On Feb 10, 2015
Candyrain:
You've been acting like one.

What happened to free speech undecided undecided people have different opinions , you might not agree with them , but we must respect it.

Leave Op a lone angry
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 10, 2015
Buhari could not in clear terms enumerate in policies on security and Boko Haram on Al-Jazeera yesterday and yet the elections could have been held this week.

Asked how he will solve the security problem of the country. He swings into his usual mode wanting to blame corruption in Government for insecurity. Reminded that this could be a conversation for another day but what is required today is his solution and then he once again goes into history of Nigerian peace keeping missions in Bama - In summary no solution was proffered. 1 week to original election date Buhari still does not have a clear security policy.

When pressed further on how he will tackle Boko Haram. Buhari tells us how embarrassing it is for Nigeria to form a coalition of international forces in order to deal with Bokoharam. But curiously goes on to admit that his security policy will involve liaising with Niger and Cameroun as the current Government is already doing!

I am yet to hear anyting new from Buhari in this election in terms of solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3md94JAFyM

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:15am On Feb 10, 2015
Greetings Barcanista, As ever, your article is always well articulated but I find it hard to agree to your selling points on Buhari. Before I make my points, I must say that I'm not comfortable with the way Nigeria is being managed at the moment. It is very sad that a very tiny South-East Asian nation like Malaysia advanced more than Nigeria despite Nigeria being marginally more developed than them in the 50's to 60's. To be frank, I do not think that the problem of Nigeria nation is leadership per se but the foundation upon which the nation is build. No matter who come in as president (I don’t really care who) the problem will still persist unless we as a country genuinely come together and decide on how to move this country forward. I would like to discuss more on this later if the childish pseudo political analysts here will allow it.

In the mean time, let me comment on the point you raised.

1) INSECURITY

First, it must be said that this government have failed in terms of security. However, I disagree that Buhari will eliminate Boko Haram just because he eliminated or stopped Maitetsine in 1985. Time have changed my friend, and the issue of terrorism and insurgency have changed as well. To me, using the military alone to fight Boko Haram will never achieve any long lasting result, it might stop them for a while, just like 2009 when Yusuf was murdered by the Nigerian army. I can bet you, if Shekau killed today, give it a few years and another Shekau will emerge. Not until we go the very foundation of social-economic problem in this country, It will be very difficult to defeat Boko Haram ideology.

Since 1989 till date, India, with all its military capability has been fighting the Naxalite–Maoist insurgency likewise Pakistan with the War in Waziristan that have killed not less than 50,000 people with over 3 million displaced between 2004 to date. It is difficult to defeat such ideology with the barrel of a gun.

I'm not excusing this government, but I think that the Issue that gave raise to Boko haram pre-dated this government, it started as a movement that was even receiving patronage from the state government (Buji Foi was a commissioner in Borno State). To stop Boko Haram, we have to look beyond the use of force only (I have always insist that Maitetsine cannot be compared to Boko Haram). The question is, Do APC (not just Buhari as a person) have a plan of solving the fundamental problem of Boko Haram beyond the use of military? I doubt very much. Security goes beyond Boko Haram, we should put a measure in place so that similar group do not raise again, so far, I have failed to see any real security policy of Buhari or APC.

4 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:16am On Feb 10, 2015
2. CORRUPTION

Again, we have a foundation that is very fertile for corruption. While it is not in doubt that Buhari is incorruptible and a man on integrity, I highly doubt that system we operate in this country will actually allow him to do what he did in 1983 - 1985. We often here the rhetoric "Jonathan is a good person or have good intention but have bad advisers" how sure that we won't here the same rhetoric when Buhari take over "He is incorruptible but people around him are corrupt".

Having said this, let’s look at the system of government we operate in this country. It is very sad when I hear people like the speaker of house of representatives accusing Jonathan of corruption, the first question I often ask myself, what exactly is the job of the legislators? have any APC senator or rep member moved a motion for reduction in their salary (even if it won't scale through, at least, Nigerians will see the clear divide between APC and PDP). Will this same legislators change just because Buhari is the president? Let me give two examples of how opposition party separate itself as being difference to the ruling party.

In Malaysia, there is a big debate going on which has to do with a government back program called 1MDB (i won't go into details) the opposition objected to this program because it riddled with corruption, they cannot stop it in parliament, two of the opposition MPs (Tony Pua and Rafizi Ramli) took the issue outside the parliament, going to schools, organizing functions and enlightening the nation about the corruption going on. What stopped the house of reps doing the same on Mmadueke when she used the court to stop investigation of the house? BTW, it is still the same PDP legislators who are now saints in APC.

The second part is the issue of assets declaration, everybody is up against Jonathan with his famous "I don't give a damn" about publicly declaring his assets. However, to the best of my knowledge, I have never heard or read of any APC governors declaring their assets public. We seem to hold the federal government on a very high moral ground, neglecting the legislators, the state and local governments.

Another example, in Malaysia, the opposition party (PR) promised that should they get to the government, all public officers must publicly declare their assets and to show they mean business, all states controlled by PR in Malaysia mandated the mentari besars (governors) and state assemblymen to public declear their assets. This is how to separate your party from the status quo.

The issue of jailing corrupt politicians won’t work this time around either because of different system. Immunity clauses, legislators and the judiciary are stumbling block. By the way, from who will Buhari start jailing? Sitting governors or sitting legislators? Don’t forget the powers of “injunctions” ... remember this time, he will be governing with check and balances from the legistilative and judicial arms.

Jonathan led FG is very corrupt, no doubt about that... however, we must stop it there, the state governments, local governments, legistilative and judicial arms of the government are equally as guilty.

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:19am On Feb 10, 2015
3. EXECUTIVE RASCALITY

As you rightly said, executive rascality didn’t start with Jonathan, remember the kidnapping of a sitting governor, impeachment of Joshua Dariye etc. What this is pointing out is that the Federal government is by default giving an unreasonable amount of power that people, irrespective of who is there seems to abuse. It is important to note that, your example of WAI came with a form of abuse of office (not really from Buhari himself) from the soldiers on the street. You cannot tell me that flogging a father just to queue at the bus station is actually a good model that you would like us to adopt in the age and time.

Moreover, what stopped Fashola from passing the FOI in Lagos state? Isn’t that also a form of executive rascality? We have seen state governors controlling their state legislators as it pleases them. My point is that the problem of executive rascality lies in the system we use in this county.

4. ECONOMY AND INFRASTRUCTURE

I will always see the near collapsing of our economy as a result of many decades neglect of non-oil sector of our economy. It is very dangerous to run an economy solely on a commodity whose price is volatile. Everybody is talking about the economy now because of the fall in oil price which resulted in loss of value of the Naira. It is not a rocket science that the Naira will lose value owing to drop in oil price, Russian ruble is losing as much value as the Naira.

I would like to know, what exactly did Buhari did in his regime in diversifying the economy of Nigeria? What did the previous government did? All the focus is and has always been on the oil. South Africa is surviving on its mining, how many government have invested in mining various minerals in all part of the country? How about agriculture?

The issue of economy diversification cannot be done in 4 years, it takes at least, 10 years very strong, pragmatic economic plan to achieve. It took Tun Mahathir Mohamad 22 years to transform Malaysia to what it is today, It took Lee Kuan Yew 31 odd years to build Singapore to what it is today.

Like you rightly pointed out, this government has started some revolution (no matter how slow and little it seems) in the agriculture, cement and automobile industry.

Building a strong economy goes beyond rejecting IMF loans, refusing to devalue the Naira (we are feeling the negative impact of devaluation of Naira because we are still import dependent country). One would like to know what is APC 5 - 10 years action plan economic diversification.

Finally, I see this election as between PDP and APC not between Jonathan VS Buhari per se. The reason being that we have for far too long been running an individual based government rather than party / system based government which ensures continuity. Instead of trying very hard to sell the candidate Buhari as a person, APC should be selling us their manifesto the more because if (and I pray not) Buhari is no more tomorrow, the country have to keep moving. I hope we get right in this coming election.

3 Likes

Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 1:24am On Feb 10, 2015
I think it time we do away with name-callings in political section and discuss the real issue. We shouldn't "change" just because we want change neither should we "continue" because of the fear of unknown. I hope we can have a real discussion on this.

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Candyrain(m): 1:50am On Feb 10, 2015
Badgers14:

What happened to free speech undecided undecided people have different opinions , you might not agree with them , but we must respect it.

Leave Op a lone angry
Noted
Re: mODIFIED by Badgers14: 3:36am On Feb 10, 2015
Candyrain:
Noted

cheesy
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 10, 2015
I really appreciate your write-up my friend. I also agree with you the Military action isn't a long term solution but a short term. A comprehensive socio-political approach is necessary to arrest the scourge of any future uprising. Strengthening of our security Agencies, encouragement of community policing, reorientation of the security agents and the citizens on their respective roles in maintaining a secured society, provision of social, political and other infrastuctures and well as employment opportunity for Nigerians will ba long term approach to insurgency.
Mykevp2p:
Greetings Barcanista, As ever, your article is always well articulated but I find it hard to agree to your selling points on Buhari. Before I make my points, I must say that I'm not comfortable with the way Nigeria is being managed at the moment. It is very sad that a very tiny South-East Asian nation like Malaysia advanced more than Nigeria despite Nigeria being marginally more developed than them in the 50's to 60's. To be frank, I do not think that the problem of Nigeria nation is leadership per se but the foundation upon which the nation is build. No matter who come in as president (I don’t really care who) the problem will still persist unless we as a country genuinely come together and decide on how to move this country forward. I would like to discuss more on this later if the childish pseudo political analysts here will allow it.

In the mean time, let me comment on the point you raised.

1) INSECURITY

First, it must be said that this government have failed in terms of security. However, I disagree that Buhari will eliminate Boko Haram just because he eliminated or stopped Maitetsine in 1985. Time have changed my friend, and the issue of terrorism and insurgency have changed as well. To me, using the military alone to fight Boko Haram will never achieve any long lasting result, it might stop them for a while, just like 2009 when Yusuf was murdered by the Nigerian army. I can bet you, if Shekau killed today, give it a few years and another Shekau will emerge. Not until we go the very foundation of social-economic problem in this country, It will be very difficult to defeat Boko Haram ideology.

Since 1989 till date, India, with all its military capability has been fighting the Naxalite–Maoist insurgency likewise Pakistan with the War in Waziristan that have killed not less than 50,000 people with over 3 million displaced between 2004 to date. It is difficult to defeat such ideology with the barrel of a gun.

I'm not excusing this government, but I think that the Issue that gave raise to Boko haram pre-dated this government, it started as a movement that was even receiving patronage from the state government (Buji Foi was a commissioner in Borno State). To stop Boko Haram, we have to look beyond the use of force only (I have always insist that Maitetsine cannot be compared to Boko Haram). The question is, Do APC (not just Buhari as a person) have a plan of solving the fundamental problem of Boko Haram beyond the use of military? I doubt very much. Security goes beyond Boko Haram, we should put a measure in place so that similar group do not raise again, so far, I have failed to see any real security policy of Buhari or APC.
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 10, 2015
First, that we have a corrupt system does not mean we should continue with the corrupt system. We have the EFCC Act, ICPC Act and also the Anti Fraud Unit of the Police called the Special Fraud Unit which operate with the Criminal and other codes with respect to corruption. All these institutions and laws makes it very easy to fight the scourge of corruption to a standstill. Contrary to your claims, Nigeria's Democracy though ideally supposed to be party run but in practice it is individual based. Everyone must fall in line with the sentiment of the President/C-in-C or face the law. The President does not need the parliament to prosecute even the Senate President, there are existing laws. Immunity only covers President, his vice, Govs and their Deputies. No Senator or rep enjoys it, not even the Senate President. Going back history, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC Chairman arrested then Senate President Aldolphus Wabara and 5 other Senators along with Minister of Education Prof Fabian Osuji for bribery scandal. The DSS also arrested Sen Ali Ndume on Anti-corruption allegation. We have the laws, all we need is the political will to faithfully execute these laws. If doesn't matter whether APC or PDP or APGa! If a Governor is corrupt, the anti-corruption body only need to petition the State House to get them impeach the Governor and try him. This is what is ideal in a democracy. We have the laws already, all we need to implementation..
Mykevp2p:
2. CORRUPTION

Again, we have a foundation that is very fertile for corruption. While it is not in doubt that Buhari is incorruptible and a man on integrity, I highly doubt that system we operate in this country will actually allow him to do what he did in 1983 - 1985. We often here the rhetoric "Jonathan is a good person or have good intention but have bad advisers" how sure that we won't here the same rhetoric when Buhari take over "He is incorruptible but people around him are corrupt".

Having said this, let’s look at the system of government we operate in this country. It is very sad when I hear people like the speaker of house of representatives accusing Jonathan of corruption, the first question I often ask myself, what exactly is the job of the legislators? have any APC senator or rep member moved a motion for reduction in their salary (even if it won't scale through, at least, Nigerians will see the clear divide between APC and PDP). Will this same legislators change just because Buhari is the president? Let me give two examples of how opposition party separate itself as being difference to the ruling party.

In Malaysia, there is a big debate going on which has to do with a government back program called 1MDB (i won't go into details) the opposition objected to this program because it riddled with corruption, they cannot stop it in parliament, two of the opposition MPs (Tony Pua and Rafizi Ramli) took the issue outside the parliament, going to schools, organizing functions and enlightening the nation about the corruption going on. What stopped the house of reps doing the same on Mmadueke when she used the court to stop investigation of the house? BTW, it is still the same PDP legislators who are now saints in APC.

The second part is the issue of assets declaration, everybody is up against Jonathan with his famous "I don't give a damn" about publicly declaring his assets. However, to the best of my knowledge, I have never heard or read of any APC governors declaring their assets public. We seem to hold the federal government on a very high moral ground, neglecting the legislators, the state and local governments.

Another example, in Malaysia, the opposition party (PR) promised that should they get to the government, all public officers must publicly declare their assets and to show they mean business, all states controlled by PR in Malaysia mandated the mentari besars (governors) and state assemblymen to public declear their assets. This is how to separate your party from the status quo.

The issue of jailing corrupt politicians won’t work this time around either because of different system. Immunity clauses, legislators and the judiciary are stumbling block. By the way, from who will Buhari start jailing? Sitting governors or sitting legislators? Don’t forget the powers of “injunctions” ... remember this time, he will be governing with check and balances from the legistilative and judicial arms.

Jonathan led FG is very corrupt, no doubt about that... however, we must stop it there, the state governments, local governments, legistilative and judicial arms of the government are equally as guilty.
Re: mODIFIED by Nobody: 9:33am On Feb 10, 2015
No economy can be built when there is institutionalised corruption. This is a fact! Hence, I don't see any progress in what Jonathan is doing even if we give him 35years. As for Fashola and FOI, the Court ruled that FOI applies to every level of government and it doesn't need to be domesticated in states. Though Fashola government have no reason not to honor it, I see no reason for using it as an excuse for Jonathan or an indictment for Buhari. Buhari and not Fashola is running for President.

Point of Note: Nigeria cannot practice a party controlled government overnight because we have no "real" party. The legislators are birds of a feather, the changing of party by some ppl driven out of anger and bitterness and not based on ideology. Hence, we will continue a President controlled government until we get real parties. The election remains between GMB and GEJ, and not APC and PDP
Mykevp2p:
3. EXECUTIVE RASCALITY

As you rightly said, executive rascality didn’t start with Jonathan, remember the kidnapping of a sitting governor, impeachment of Joshua Dariye etc. What this is pointing out is that the Federal government is by default giving an unreasonable amount of power that people, irrespective of who is there seems to abuse. It is important to note that, your example of WAI came with a form of abuse of office (not really from Buhari himself) from the soldiers on the street. You cannot tell me that flogging a father just to queue at the bus station is actually a good model that you would like us to adopt in the age and time.

Moreover, what stopped Fashola from passing the FOI in Lagos state? Isn’t that also a form of executive rascality? We have seen state governors controlling their state legislators as it pleases them. My point is that the problem of executive rascality lies in the system we use in this county.

4. ECONOMY AND INFRASTRUCTURE

I will always see the near collapsing of our economy as a result of many decades neglect of non-oil sector of our economy. It is very dangerous to run an economy solely on a commodity whose price is volatile. Everybody is talking about the economy now because of the fall in oil price which resulted in loss of value of the Naira. It is not a rocket science that the Naira will lose value owing to drop in oil price, Russian ruble is losing as much value as the Naira.

I would like to know, what exactly did Buhari did in his regime in diversifying the economy of Nigeria? What did the previous government did? All the focus is and has always been on the oil. South Africa is surviving on its mining, how many government have invested in mining various minerals in all part of the country? How about agriculture?

The issue of economy diversification cannot be done in 4 years, it takes at least, 10 years very strong, pragmatic economic plan to achieve. It took Tun Mahathir Mohamad 22 years to transform Malaysia to what it is today, It took Lee Kuan Yew 31 odd years to build Singapore to what it is today.

Like you rightly pointed out, this government has started some revolution (no matter how slow and little it seems) in the agriculture, cement and automobile industry.

Building a strong economy goes beyond rejecting IMF loans, refusing to devalue the Naira (we are feeling the negative impact of devaluation of Naira because we are still import dependent country). One would like to know what is APC 5 - 10 years action plan economic diversification.

Finally, I see this election as between PDP and APC not between Jonathan VS Buhari per se. The reason being that we have for far too long been running an individual based government rather than party / system based government which ensures continuity. Instead of trying very hard to sell the candidate Buhari as a person, APC should be selling us their manifesto the more because if (and I pray not) Buhari is no more tomorrow, the country have to keep moving. I hope we get right in this coming election.
Re: mODIFIED by luvinhubby(m): 9:42am On Feb 10, 2015
barcanista:
My dear, check it out, the coupist that brought him topower could not get him to their bidding in 1984. By the way, whatever money any crook spend on GMB's campaign is Nigeria's money. When Buhari get to power, he will ensure that no money is looted and arrest thieves.
Buhari was THE coupist himself, he just enlisted others like Joshua Dogonyaro, Abacha, IBB to achieve his aim.
Buhari was also actively involved the Gowon coup. He us a serial coupist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: mODIFIED by luvinhubby(m): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2015
@Barcanista.
One thing i agree with on your writ up is the fact that GEJ has treated corruption with kids gloves, especially that senseless pardon granted Alamiesegha & such will never encourage the metarmorphosis we all clamour for.
But on the flip side, fighting corruption in a complex & corruption riddled nation like Nigeria will require a presidency presided over by a person of somehow incorrigible, rigid, uncompromising & 'Obasanjo-like' stubborn disposition & character. Somebody willing to lay to lay down his life to purge the system & Buhari is certainly not that.
His weakness & compromising character is reflected in his willingness to bend backwards seeking for endorsement from known 'corrupt-fellons' like Tinubu, IBB, & OBJ. He cannot tackle corruption with such people around him.

1 Like

Re: mODIFIED by Demdem2: 10:16am On Feb 10, 2015
Op, ur reasons are on point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist / 2019: Between Olawepo Hashim, Buhari And Atiku / Breaking News Ipob In Japan Gathering Waiting For Buhari To Show Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.