Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,460 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega (35599 Views)

Polls : Jega Ignored My Request For A Meeting – Oritsejafor / Oby Ezekwesili, Nigerians React To INEC's Decision To Shift Polls On Twitter / Govt. May Shift Polls By Six Weeks - Dailytimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by lalasticlala(m): 8:17pm On Feb 07, 2015
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, on Saturday said he is under intense pressure to shift the February 14presidential election by six weeks in the first instance.

Jega told representatives of the Civil Societies at a meeting in Abuja that he had received a letter from those at the helms of the country’s security agencies that their concerns now is to defeat the Boko Haram insurgency and not to provide security for elections.

The Civil Societies however advised INEC to resist the pressure.
The statement reads:

“The NIGERIA Civil Society Situation Room (Situation Room) this afternoon, Saturday, 7th February 2015 met with the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and with all of its 12 National Commissioners in attendance.

“At the meeting, INEC Chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega, conveyed that he had received a letter from the security services advising that he postpones the general elections on the grounds that the security agencies were engaged in a renewed battle against insurgency in the North-East that would require their full concentration. In the letter the Military was demanding a rescheduling of elections by at least 6wks in the first instance.

“Situation room conveyed to INEC its disappointment with the letter from the security agencies pointing out that this amounted to the Military’s abdication of its constitutional duties to provide security to citizens and to the Commission to enable it conduct elections and appeared contrived to truncate the democratic process in NIGERIA.

“Situation Room is further worried that the Military’s position also aims to blackmail and arm-twist the Election Management Body away from its constitutional guaranteed function of conducting elections. Situation Room also condemns this advisory by security agents that they cannot guarantee the security of citizens, election officials and materials during the election.
“The Situation Room calls for the resignation of military chiefs and security heads including the Police on account of their inability to exercise their constitutional responsibility to secure lives and property at all times including during the elections.
“Situation Room also calls on Nigerians to be vigilant and be ready to protect this hard won democracy!

“The Situation Room is made up of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) working in support of credible and transparent elections in NIGERIA and includes such groups as Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC), CLEEN Foundation, Action Aid Nigeria, Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD), Enough is Enough Nigeria, Wangonet, Partners for Electoral Reform and Youth Initiative for Advocacy, Growth & Advancement (YIAGA). Others are Development Dynamics, Human Rights Monitor, Election Monitor, Reclaim Naija, Institute for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, CITAD, CISLAC and several other CSOs numbering more than Sixty.”

http://theeagleonline.com.ng/security-chiefs-put-pressure-on-me-to-shift-polls-jega/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by saaedlee: 8:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
Eyah, even if he bows to the pressure will that Stop APC from winning the polls?

Hell NO

#SaiBuhari

Vote General Muhammadu Buhari

320 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by clevvermind(m): 8:21pm On Feb 07, 2015
gringrin let everybody shout Jonathan till 2019.

138 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by datguru: 8:22pm On Feb 07, 2015
Gej all thee way

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by clevvermind(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
if you know that buhari is a learner, click the share buttom. gringrin

32 Likes 168 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Firmjudge(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
Meanwhile as Gov Okoro, Ameachi and Fashola. Are warming up for there protest which is lega, i insist kindly make sure there children are also on the line protesting APC people make una wise up oo

Meanwhile, the last time i checked its still Brother Ebele Jonathan AKA Goodluck AKA current GCFR aka till 2019.

Abeg nak my like since its still Jonathan till 2019.

Sipping my ku-nun zaki and drinking my fresh air under this peaceful mango tree.

Singing: Bufallo soldier na we go win this election...

Modified
BTW more engine oil to the weapons of our gallant security men.
Weather USA sell us weapons or not.
We thank those country that sold and are still selling us weapons and wares (as part of jonathans transformation agenda to equip our over hyped under equip military) and also thanks to our neighbours who have agreed to coorperate with us in this fight.

Victory is ours.

FirmJudge

110 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Aghanel(m): 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
Apc no gt say 4 dis nation jor,,,#GEJtill2019

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by okosodo: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
Jega, an islamist will always be an islamist

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by jejemanito: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2015
okosodo:
When he declared GEJ winner in 2011 why didn't you call him an islamist?

Clown!

245 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by motherlode: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2015
if JEGA resigns or postpones this general election as a result of the pressures! hmmmmm, i can't say more than that!

5 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2015
Those PROPAGANDA-MONGERING, HALLUCINATING, BRAINWASHED, RETRO-CHANGE TOUTING homo sapiens keep coining silly catchphrases and engaging in e-wars and living in the faux of their delusional imaginary impending 'victory' at the polls.

Good thing about this government is that it allows people dream - dream that THEIR VOTES WOULD REALLY COUNT...and it would but surely not on social media.

We all know the difference(s) between a DREAM and a NIGHTMARE, don't we?

GEJ is the dream, the other fellow is the nightmare.

If you value your civil and human rights then you should vote wisely.

...TheSon.OfMark has opined. GOOD L UCK to you all.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by jejemanito: 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2015
Firmjudge:
Meanwhile as Gov Okoro, Ameachi and Fashola. Are warming up for there protest which is lega, i insist kindly make sure there children are also on the line protesting APC people make una wise up oo
legal, their embarassed

Meanwhile, the last time i checked it still Brother Ebele Jonathan till 2019.

Abeg nak like since its still Jonathan till 2019.

Sipping my ku-nun zaki and drinking my fresh air.
Singing: Bufallo soldier na we go win this election...
Dem dey drink fresh air? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Yarduni: 8:25pm On Feb 07, 2015
They should free this Man now

1 Like

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:26pm On Feb 07, 2015
I guess it finally dawned on the presidency that this isn't an inter-party contest as it is made to seem but a conspiracy by the HAUSA/FULANI stock to return power to themselves.

JEGA has been comprised obviously and is no longer an unbiased umpire judging from his decision to assign 21,000 polling units to the North and 9,000 to the South. His blatant show of bigotry gave him away.

We thought Maurice Iwu was partial but Jega has proven to be worse.

#OutJegaOrYouJeGba

APC screaming "change" meanwhile they've been implicated by arms smuggling operations gone awry.

https://www.nairaland.com/2135397/police-impound-arms-laden-vehicle-kwara

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by courage54(m): 8:28pm On Feb 07, 2015
If JONATHAN like let him postpone the election to december, Nigerians will still not vote for him. Real Nigerians are more wiser now.

WE MUST JOIN HANDS TOGETHER TO SALVAGE THIS GREAT COUNTRY FROM COLLAPSING FURTHER. IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR TRIBE AND RELIGIOUS BELIEVE. THIS IS NOT ABOUT JONATHAN AND BUHARI BUT ABOUT YOUR FUTURE AND MY FUTURE

THE TIME FOR CHANGE IS NOW

SAI BUHARI/OSIBANJO 2015-2019

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
GOD BLESS NIGER-DELTA.

#IHAVEDECIDED

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by godsamist: 8:30pm On Feb 07, 2015
Advice is a visitor when you accepts him,he stays but when you rejects him,he leaves immediately...Judge ye!

1 Like

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by jejemanito: 8:32pm On Feb 07, 2015
godsamist:
Advice is a visitor when you accepts him,he stays but when you rejects him,he leaves immediately...Judge ye!
what are you saying?

2 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by jide53: 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
The security chiefs must have had an actionable intel that BH boys will go full offensive during the election time to have called for the postponement.

Boko Haram planned to attack whole country – Jonathan
Source: http://www.e reporter.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/3085-boko-haram-planned-to-attack-whole-country-jonathan

1 Like

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by tiamiyukunle69(m): 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
Whatever

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by CharlieMaria(m): 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
TELL ME SOMETHING.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
When the DSS and the Military were deployed to Osun State in August last year, was there any form of insurgency in the state? But they were being deployed in order to intimidate the masses. My fellow NLs, I wish you were there to witness the incoming movement of the DSS (Faces covered) you will feel perturbed...
#TeamElectionMustHold ..

9 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by vantage7: 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
We are waiting...
Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
Cant blame anybody,

Knowing fully well that cupid always drifts around with a bow and an arrow, was jega expecting to hold elections on valentines day and not get shot?

from febuhary/failbuhari to mortuary/march4buhari

Oya...

3 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by 9jvirgin(m): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2015
Death to PDP!

7 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by jingh(f): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2015
security Chief - the plaything of Jonathan.

buhari until of GEJ stop using people to his advantage

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Chloekim(m): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2015
Whao.

2 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by naijasaints: 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2015
GEJ will lose even if its postponed.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by tylesh(f): 8:35pm On Feb 07, 2015
They shouldnt dare cos i am tired of the terrible traffic jams them rallies been causing

3 Likes

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2015
okosodo:

This is the only thing you could pick from the article

@topic, I like what I just read. As far as I am concerned the reason the security agencies gave for postponement of the elections is not coming with good intentions. Why would they mount pressure on Jega and threaten not to be available for what they are required to do. Is it now they realise insurgency requires full concentration? Are all the soldiers, policemen and so on in the north east fighting boko haram? Why are they now thinking along this line just a week to the election.

PVC issues, I can relate with, but this? Total bullshit. undecided.

I support the call for their resignation too. Bunch of clueless people! angry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Chiefs Put Pressure On Me To Shift Polls – Jega by youngvizzy1(m): 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2015
GMB for 9ja, #ChangeIsSure

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Risqua: Murtala Muhammed Left N7,000 In His Account As Ex Head Of State / CAN Lists 40 Achievements Of President Buhari In 9 Months / 'EFCC Probe Them': Reno Omokri Releases Song On Tinubu, Dances In The Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.