Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

We Need Power Supply Timetable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Need Power Supply Timetable (820 Views)

National Protest: Organizers Release Timetable For February 5th Protest / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Nigeria Election Debate Group Releases Timetable For Presidential Debates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Need Power Supply Timetable by Ferebiekun: 3:41pm On Feb 08, 2015
I am tired of being told that, at least, our politicians and leaders travel overseas and they see how things are done there. I do not agree that an intelligent human being has to go to another country before he knows the right things that need to be done. Where do Americans, French, Swiss, Germans, Swedes and Canadians travel to before they keep bringing so much development to bear on their countries? It is very absurd to continue to make that statement, especially in the light of the fact that the so-called leaders and followers have been to all these countries and more, yet, they are not doing what they have seen done over there. So, we should stop repeating that insulting statement.
We do not have to go abroad and experience availability of 24 hours light before we know that the normal thing is to have light throughout the day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 365 days to 365 days.
I am angry that I live in the 21st century and in a city where it is now ‘normal’ to boast about the size of your generating set! Where you casually introduce into conversation the amount you spend weekly on fuelling your generator the same way others show off brandishing iphones, Android and Blackberry devices that they hardly know how to use!
We are intelligent people living in a modern world. Why can’t we live in cities that are terribly clean and have amenities that make life ever more comfortable? Why can’t I decide to relocate and live in a village knowing well that every facility that I enjoy in the city are equally available there? I know how much money and effort many civil servants expend to bribe their way out of transfers to ‘remote areas.’ That wouldn’t have been the case if things work in this country. The irony of it is that, for now, there is hardly any difference living in a Nigerian city and a village where provision of social amenities is concerned.
If we are not going to have that 24 hours of light in this country, at least, the power companies – whatever names they go by- should make it a matter of policy to let us know the amount of light we should expect from them daily, weekly or monthly. They are now private enterprises managed by, I believe, trained and experienced personnel. They can let us have a Power Supply Timetable. This can be printed on the bill they religiously distribute every month.
If I am going to continue having 24 hours of light every month, I deserve to know when I am going to get it so that I can plan ahead how I am going to use it. We are in a civilized world, aren’t we? It can be done. And it should be done. If however they find printing the Power Supply Timetable bothersome, they could send regular SMS to alert us. They can charge us for it! Trust Nigerian commercial mindset!
Then, the companies need to embark on a sensitization campaign. They need to orient us, the consumers, that we should stop shouting ‘Up NEPA!’ in celebration of ‘flashing’ us with the long awaited light after hours of darkness, heat and boredom. People really need to stop it. One, NEPA is long dead. And more importantly, there is nothing ‘up’ about denying us the light for days only to give us two or three hours of it, is there?
They also need to educate us that we should stop telling them, though in their absence, that ‘They even tried!’ after taking the light. It is so unnecessary and must be quite embarrassing for the companies. Abi, which ‘try’ have they tried giving three hours of light for a whole day which may still end up being the only time in the week or even months in some areas right in this Nigeria? It is as terrible as that. What ‘try’ have they tried if our communities still have to task residents to contribute money to buy transformers, and for installation of same?! We need that timetable.

1 Like

Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by francizy(m): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
Ferebiekun:
I am tired of being told that, at least, our politicians and leaders travel overseas and they see how things are done there. I do not agree that an intelligent human being has to go to another country before he knows the right things that need to be done. Where do Americans, French, Swiss, Germans, Swedes and Canadians travel to before they keep bringing so much development to bear on their countries? It is very absurd to continue to make that statement, especially in the light of the fact that the so-called leaders and followers have been to all these countries and more, yet, they are not doing what they have seen done over there. So, we should stop repeating that insulting statement.
We do not have to go abroad and experience availability of 24 hours light before we know that the normal thing is to have light throughout the day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 365 days to 365 days.
I am angry that I live in the 21st century and in a city where it is now ‘normal’ to boast about the size of your generating set! Where you casually introduce into conversation the amount you spend weekly on fuelling your generator the same way others show off brandishing iphones, Android and Blackberry devices that they hardly know how to use!
We are intelligent people living in a modern world. Why can’t we live in cities that are terribly clean and have amenities that make life ever more comfortable? Why can’t I decide to relocate and live in a village knowing well that every facility that I enjoy in the city are equally available there? I know how much money and effort many civil servants expend to bribe their way out of transfers to ‘remote areas.’ That wouldn’t have been the case if things work in this country. The irony of it is that, for now, there is hardly any difference living in a Nigerian city and a village where provision of social amenities is concerned.
If we are not going to have that 24 hours of light in this country, at least, the power companies – whatever names they go by- should make it a matter of policy to let us know the amount of light we should expect from them daily, weekly or monthly. They are now private enterprises managed by, I believe, trained and experienced personnel. They can let us have a Power Supply Timetable. This can be printed on the bill they religiously distribute every month.
If I am going to continue having 24 hours of light every month, I deserve to know when I am going to get it so that I can plan ahead how I am going to use it. We are in a civilized world, aren’t we? It can be done. And it should be done. If however they find printing the Power Supply Timetable bothersome, they could send regular SMS to alert us. They can charge us for it! Trust Nigerian commercial mindset!
Then, the companies need to embark on a sensitization campaign. They need to orient us, the consumers, that we should stop shouting ‘Up NEPA!’ in celebration of ‘flashing’ us with the long awaited light after hours of darkness, heat and boredom. People really need to stop it. One, NEPA is long dead. And more importantly, there is nothing ‘up’ about denying us the light for days only to give us two or three hours of it, is there?
They also need to educate us that we should stop telling them, though in their absence, that ‘They even tried!’ after taking the light. It is so unnecessary and must be quite embarrassing for the companies. Abi, which ‘try’ have they tried giving three hours of light for a whole day which may still end up being the only time in the week or even months in some areas right in this Nigeria? It is as terrible as that. What ‘try’ have they tried if our communities still have to task residents to contribute money to buy transformers, and for installation of same?! We need that timetable.

If you were not among those criticizing Prof Berth, then God bless you for this thread

1 Like

Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by donnaira(m): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
@Ferebiekun
I agree with you, I think the industrial ,commercial,& offices zones should have power from 9am to may be 5pm , residential zone ,street lights ,utility zones should have power from 6 or 7pm to 5pm on work days mon-fri
And .....
Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by Ferebiekun: 11:05am On Feb 09, 2015
donnaira:
@Ferebiekun
I agree with you, I think the industrial ,commercial,& offices zones should have power from 9am to may be 5pm , residential zone ,street lights ,utility zones should have power from 6 or 7pm to 5pm on work days mon-fri
And .....

Your suggestion makes sense, but will they implement even to some extent? I'm so tired of unpredictability of power supply in this country. If we are going to have only one hour of light in a day, we have the right to know when it's going to be.

1 Like

Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by pupsyd: 11:07am On Feb 09, 2015
Yeye dey SMELL!
Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 09, 2015
when the guys in presidential villa have huge amount of money allocated for generator maintenance and fueling, couple with stealing that is not corruption I don't think Nigeria will ever have steady power, Obasanjo spent $15b on NIPP, many contractors collected money without knowing where to build the project they collected the money for, is all boils down to corruption and impunity from friends and cronies of Mr President
Re: We Need Power Supply Timetable by donnaira(m): 4:58pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ferebiekun:

Your suggestion makes sense, but will they implement even to some extent? I'm so tired of unpredictability of power supply in this country. If we are going to have only one hour of light in a day, we have the right to know when it's going to be.
I think it's high time Nigerians demand accountability from this private owners because the are making us believe that it's the same hand that handled the partly privatised power is still in charge of the fully pravatised power sector.

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Jega’s Tenure Legally Or Actually Comes To End On March 24, 2015, / SAD: How APC Betrayed Nigeria / Video: Watch Obasanjo Tear Up His PDP Membership Card While Supporters Jubilate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.