Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,481 members, 7,816,135 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit (1026 Views)

Magu’s Confirmation: Court Orders Service Of Processes On FG, Senate / Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 / Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 12:46am On Feb 09, 2015
A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered that President Goodluck Jonathan be served with court documents in a new suit seeking to disqualify him from seeking re-election in the forthcoming poll.

There are two pending suits seeking Jonathan’s disqualification from participating in the presidential election, now re-scheduled to hold on March 28, before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

There is another one pending before the Court of Appeal in Abuja.

Justice Mohammed, to whom the new suit was assigned, on Friday, granted an ex-parte order directing the service of the court papers on Jonathan.

The judge ordered that the court papers be served on the President, either through the office of the Secretary to Government of the Federation or that of the Attorney General of the Federation.

The judge made order for substituted service on Jonathan following the complaint of the plaintiff, Nkemjika Nkemjika, in his ex parte application that it was impossible to effect personal service on the President, who resides in the well-fortified Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.

The President, the Independent National Electoral Commission and the Peoples Democratic Party are the defendants in the suit.

Nkemjika asks the court, in his suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1112/2015, to determine whether, having regard to the provisions of sections 135(1)(b) and 135(2)(b) of the Constitution, President Jonathan was qualified to contest this year’s presidential election.

The plaintiff argued that Jonathan’s second term in office would end on May 29, 2015, because Section 135(2)(b) of the Constitution that determines the tenure of office of the country’s President, did not make any provision for a Vice-President to complete the unexpired tenure of office or unexpired term of office of a deceased President.

He contended that Jonathan would have been eligible to further contest this year’s presidential election if he had won an election overseen by the Senate President in 2010 in accordance with the provision of Section 146(2) of the Constitution.

Section 146(2) provides that: “Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in sub-section 1 of this section during a period when the office of the Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of the President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.”

The plaintiff urged the court to nullify the nomination of Jonathan as PDP’s candidate for the forthcoming presidential election in view of the provision of Section 135(1)(b) of the Constitution, to the effect that “a person shall hold the office of President until he dies whilst holding such office.”

Justice Mohammed has adjourned further hearing in the case to February 26.
Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/disqualification-court-orders-service-on-jonathan-in-fresh-suit/
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 12:48am On Feb 09, 2015
I'm seeing things... cool

TANoids and GEJ now have worries on their hands.

#March4Buhari

4 Likes

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by clevvermind(m): 12:51am On Feb 09, 2015
if you think that this people are wasting their time, click share. grin

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by gists: 12:54am On Feb 09, 2015
Sanchez01:
I'm seeing things... cool

TANoids and GEJ now have worries on their hands.

#March4Buhari

This will be easy to get over giving the tyrannical nature of the GEJ. Except APC steps in and play dirty, an unknown Nkemjika stands no chance against the president in a corruption-entrenched judiciary system like ours.

1 Like

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 12:59am On Feb 09, 2015
clevvermind:
if you think that this people are wasting their time, click share. grin

The plaintiff argued that Jonathan’s second term in office would end on May 29, 2015, because Section 135(2)(b) of the Constitution that determines the tenure of office of the country’s President, did not make any provision for a Vice-President to complete the unexpired tenure of office or unexpired term of office of a deceased President.

He contended that Jonathan would have been eligible to further contest this year’s presidential election if he had won an election overseen by the Senate President in 2010 in accordance with the provision of Section 146(2) of the Constitution.

Section 146(2) provides that: “Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in sub-section 1 of this section during a period when the office of the Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of the President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.”

The plaintiff urged the court to nullify the nomination of Jonathan as PDP’s candidate for the forthcoming presidential election in view of the provision of Section 135(1)(b) of the Constitution, to the effect that “a person shall hold the office of President until he dies whilst holding such office.”
Since it's obvious you didn't understand the article, I believe the bolded could help you out.
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 1:03am On Feb 09, 2015
gists:

This will be easy to get over giving the tyrannical nature of the GEJ. Except APC steps in and play dirty, an unknown Nkemjika stands no chance against the president in a corruption-entrenched judiciary system like ours.
You're very right and I agree with you. However, let's just keep our fingers crossed and expect the tyrannical president of ours to waive this off. March is quite close but far for GEJ whose actions keep cutting down his hopes for a return. Let him send Obanikoro and some military officers to the judge. We know what we want.

#WeWantChange

2 Likes

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Nobody: 1:05am On Feb 09, 2015
Watch out - the news some saTAns dont wana hear - gej disqualified

1 Like

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by clevvermind(m): 1:05am On Feb 09, 2015
Sanchez01:

Since it's obvious you didn't understand the article, I believe the bolded could help you out.
Jonathan till 2019 is my take. i don't give a fvck about this.
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 1:15am On Feb 09, 2015
clevvermind:
Jonathan till 2019 is my take. i don't give a fvck about this.
Even those who pay you understand that you must engage in debates and put reasoning first before you GEJ till May 2015 rant.
diluminati:
Watch out - the news some saTAns dont wana hear - gej disqualified
Lolz... This won't definitely go down well with them

1 Like

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by kestolove95(m): 1:16am On Feb 09, 2015
pls he should not be disqualify we want to deal with gej with out pvc...going to otueke come may29 is sacrosanct
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by clevvermind(m): 1:24am On Feb 09, 2015
Sanchez01:

Even those who pay you understand that you must engage in debates and put reasoning first before you GEJ till May 2015 rant.
Lolz... This won't definitely go down well with them
i don't need to waste my time on this crap that will collapse at the end of the day. they can never disqualify Jonathan. if they like, let them quote all the laws in the world. it would amount to waste.

abeg make i go sleep jor. grin
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by JoBabs(m): 1:26am On Feb 09, 2015
Its so brilliant †hat our Legal practitioners can actually prove †hat black can be seen as white while some can refute it by reversing †he claim by saying white can be seen as black.... Jonathan contesting again is like poking his fingers into †he constitution's eyes. †his is enough proof †o disqualify Gej but una go fear vecto power nw....

Abeg Join me †o March 2 elev8 Buhari for Presidency.......

1 Like

Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by menix(m): 1:28am On Feb 09, 2015
Association of Past Criminals -APC...
They haf dug anoda latrine dey intend fallin into soon..

Well GEJ till majority of Nairalander have a minimum of 7 digit acct balance..

If u intend quoting mii pls upload ur acct. Balance else do d right thing..
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by menix(m): 1:32am On Feb 09, 2015
clevvermind:
i don't need to waste my time on this crap that will collapse at the end of the day. they can never disqualify Jonathan. if they like, let them quote all the laws in the world. it would amount to waste.

abeg make i go sleep jor. grin

Abeg broz com join mii sleep for this water bed wey PDP intend distributing soon.
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Caseless: 1:33am On Feb 09, 2015
I have said it that something bigger than the usual controversy shall befall GEJ before march 28. If he does not get incapacitated or taken out of public eye due to an unknown illness, Or he shall face what Laurent Gbagbo faced very soon. He's going to wish the elections weren't postponed when the trouble starts for him.
Re: Disqualification: Court Orders Service On Jonathan In Fresh Suit by Sanchez01: 7:37am On Feb 09, 2015
Caseless:
I have said it that something bigger than the usual controversy shall befall GEJ before march 28. If he does not get incapacitated or taken out of public eye due to an unknown illness, Or he shall face what Laurent Gbagbo faced very soon. He's going to wish the elections weren't postponed when the trouble starts for him.
This one is too much o. Haba! Let's allow the law play its part and even if he finds a way to go about the disqualification (which I would prefer), he'd still lose to GMB at the polls.

#March4Buhari

cc
Seun
ishilove
Mukina2
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

So Sweet Watching APC Supporters Attack Barcanista! / Fashola Commissions Choice Estates Housing Dev. PICS... / Buhari Final Pre-election Press Conference. Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.