Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo (970 Views)

Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by 2n2k(m): 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2015
Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, says it is impossible to provide constant, uninterrupted electricity to everyone in Nigeria in the near future.

Speaking with newsmen in London over the weekend, the minister said: “Nobody in the world can provide 24/7 electricity everywhere in Nigeria”, adding that 160,000 megawatts would be needed to do that. The current capacity is 4,500 megawatts.

The cost of providing electricity per megawatt on average is $2billion. To get to where South Africa is, you will need about $3.2trillion (about N672trillion). Where will you find that kind of money?” he asked.

In addition to the huge amount of money involved, Prof. Nebo said power projects also take time to come to fruition, stressing that it takes between four and six years to deliver the power projects.

“You don’t buy these things off the shelves. It takes time to design, study, procure, manufacture, install and commission”, he said, but explained that the government had done so much on generation capacity, transmission and distribution infrastructure, which are key necessities in power supply.

He said 20,000 megawatts was needed to ensure constant power supply to major cities in the country that have been connected to the national grid, but said it would require a lot of resources and time to achieve the feat.

The minister further said the current facilities and infrastructure on the ground had the capacity to provide more than 5,000 megawatts in the country, but lamented that some saboteurs were bent on ensuring that the target is not achieved by vandalising gas pipelines on a regular basis.

He emphasised that the demand for electricity in Nigeria is so huge that “no matter what you do, once electricity gets to a place, people acquire more facilities, buy refrigerators and air-conditioners, and before you know it, what you think is enough for everyone has to be shared by so many people”.

He also said solar power could go a long way in solving Nigeria’s power problems, especially in the rural areas, disclosing that three communities, including Durumi in the suburbs of Abuja, have enjoyed 13 months of uninterrupted electricity since the start of the pilot scheme in December 2013.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/46468-uninterrupted-electricity-impossible-in-nigeria-now-nebo
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Tos87(m): 7:07pm On Feb 09, 2015
hmm...$3.2tri...that money has always being
within the cobwebs of this country but into the hands of few. And prof. you dey talk say na watin we need for uninterrupted power supply. THUNDER FIRE CORRUPTION.

In case It makes front page......I reservation my comment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by midolian(m): 7:07pm On Feb 09, 2015
Nigeria? Give them a hundred trillion dollars. You ll eventually wonder what the money waz spent on

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Tycike: 7:10pm On Feb 09, 2015
Thieves

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2015
so generating such enormous mega watt of electricity is not feasible, how did south africa get to the point? well to me the basic element hindering the development of nigeria is corruption if we are able to fight it, nigerians will be amazed the growth we will record in few years to come.
$2 billion per mega watt of electricity, thats not a joke at all.
God bless nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by AmakaDNB(f): 7:15pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ok na
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by ArchEnemy(m): 7:16pm On Feb 09, 2015
All the best o. 3.2 trillion dollars?
Anyway, never say never.if those other countries could ve stable power, why cant we?
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by sammyj: 7:19pm On Feb 09, 2015
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by xpac01(m): 7:20pm On Feb 09, 2015
If only they can give us proper record of the initial trillions blown into the sector. May be it was electrocuted.
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by TreQuartista: 7:25pm On Feb 09, 2015
To be embezzled as usual? Sleazy bastärds!

Click 'LIKE' if you are for Buhari.

Sod off and/or fück off and/or go to hell and/or go and die if you are for GEJ!

APC
#Change
#March4Buhari

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2015
Them wan chop money again...Oga Minister, make you no worry yourself, President Buhari will take care of power sector. Your services won't be needed. Overrated and faild chimp like you!!!
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Kennywills7(m): 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2015
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by egift(m): 7:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
PDP has no new idea or any drop of creativity. Everything is a means to loot. Jonathan is expired. His time is up.

Nigerians are Marching For Change.
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Tolexander: 7:33pm On Feb 09, 2015
in short, producing costant electric power is not feasible in nigeria considering the amount dropped by the minister.

“When four years ago Dr. Goodluck Jonathan
said he would not run in 2015, he had then
promised that ‘if voted into power within
the next four years, the issue of power will
become a thing of the past. Four years is
enough for anyone in power to make
significant improvement and if I can’t
improve on power within this period it then
means I cannot do anything even if I am
there for another four years.”

why do we have to vote a man that can't do anything for another 4 years after he had given the criteria for his future actitity?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by stag: 7:33pm On Feb 09, 2015
$3.2tr?
Does this man know what he is saying? I consider this over-bloated figure a blatant lie.

All Nigeria needs to surpass South Africa is a passionate, compassionate enthusiastic 'LEADER' who can put together a cabinet of think-tank technocrats and lead them to profer practical solutions. Not appointing politicians everywhere every time.

We can get a willing country to fund such project and we pay back with oil over an agreed period of time. But what country will give you $3.2tr? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by agabusta: 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2015
PDP should quit the stage for people that are eager to deliver results abeg.

Look at the pessimistic way they are talking about the power issue sef. These guys are obviously out of ideas and they should do Nigeria a big favour by 'removing themselves from fvcking sight'!
Apologies to Dominus Batiatus grin
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
Whole lot of money!!! Nigerians need to kill our past leaders including Obj nd Bu#ari . Good work GEJ for taking us this far within a space of 4years.
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
waiting for few months to resign my appointment and say goodbye to this zoo called Nigeria is too annoying.
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by stepo707: 7:56pm On Feb 09, 2015
$3.2 trillion shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by maestroferddi: 8:07pm On Feb 09, 2015
This Prof Nebo is just a square peg in a round hole. Totally inept I must concur.

His sack is a cinch as soon Jonathan gets sworn in for the second term.

All the deadwood have to be cleared to deliver qualitative dividends of democracy.

I imagine the height we would have attained in power supply if Barth Nnaji had not been forced out of the cabinet.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by santori: 8:22pm On Feb 09, 2015
this peeple day craze oh, did I hear $2trillion ? aaaaaaaaaaah, Nigeria is in trouble. China built a power plant of 22500mw capacity at the cost of $21billion . if I hear anybody shout Jonathan eh, I will send thunder to strike that ya mouth
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Symphony007: 8:24pm On Feb 09, 2015
Tripple the price tag for the reconstruction of the entire western Europe after world war 2. Chinedu nebo is an airhead, is'nt he the same dimwitt who blamed nigeria's poor power situation on "witches and wizards". I wonder if he got his proffesorial certificates from a cereal box.
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 09, 2015
That MUST be a typo.

How can power supply cost $2billion/MW? That's unheard off!
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by Blackfire(m): 9:05pm On Feb 09, 2015
enter thread view topic *faints*
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by oduastates: 9:25pm On Feb 09, 2015
maestroferddi:
This Prof Nebo is just a square peg in a round hole. Totally inept I must concur.

His sack is a cinch as soon Jonathan gets sworn in for the second term.

All the deadwood have to be cleared to deliver qualitative dividends of democracy.

I imagine the height we would have attained in power supply if Barth Nnaji had not been forced out of the cabinet.

Like every one in Jonathan's government.
From Jonathan, all the way down
Re: Nigeria Needs $3.2trillion To Catch Up With South Africa In Electricity -Nebo by hedonistic: 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2015
This guy must be smoking a particularly hard type of skunk. What nonsense. I agree he might be a great scholar and a man with unquestionable integrity, but this outrageous claim indicates that he is a misfit in this role and is clearly incompetent.

I hate how Nigerians throw figures around carelessly and ignorantly. $3.2 trillion dollars or what, are you mad? That's about the entire budget of the world's richest country the United States! If the entire South Africa (plus the likes of Kenya, Namibia, Zambia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe as 'jara') is put on sale today, I'm sure it will not cost up to that.

Prof Nebo needs to return to the classroom and the president should appoint a person who knows what he is doing. Too bad they had to do away with Barth Nnaji.

(1) (Reply)

Like Chibok's Case, GEJ Goofs Again.... / Buhari To Speak At Chatam House On Thursday 26 February,2015 / Jonathan Administration Sponsoring Ethnic Militias To Disrupt Elections – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.