Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. (14259 Views)

If You're Happily Married, Please Share Your Story / Plan Your Baby’s Natural Birth / Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 10, 2015
rokiatu:
I really need serious contributions only. I am seriously looking at getting an epidural for my first birth, I have even discussed it with my husband and hes cool with it as long as thats what I want. but my mother is a big advocate for natural birth and will have it no other way. She has 1 billions reasons why pain assisted birth is bad. And now am actually scared and terrified of having an epidural. But knowing myself and all I am still indecisive about the whole thing. Anyways long story short, anyone have experience with any or both to please share with me? I will really appreciate it like I said serious contributors only thank you.

P.S I am not pregnant I am just preparing. cheesy grin

My dear,if they offer you an epidural and your husband or insurance can pay for it,as long as it is by an experienced anesthesiologist,I beg you in the name of The Lord take it.
I am speaking from experience ,all that stuff about natural birth Means nothing
There is nothing natural about being in agonizing pain and tearing off your weave when medical science has advanced to help
Natural births happen at home and in the bush not in hospitals grin
For the last baby I was watching Tv flipping channels from TD jakes to documentaries and eating Popsicles
I even had time to play some naija tunes on my laptop
I wanted an epidural for my first but my dilation was too quick and I missed the window
The next one I was only in labor a total of 90 minutes
Last one I said bring on the epi immediately
The kid is a whiz at mathematics

7 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Stillfire: 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2015
Hotstepper:
Instead of being scared, take a lot of time to pray and tell your God what you want and it shall be given unto you.

My 2 pregnancies were painless nd no contractions. Infact, the doctors are still wondering how that's possible. You can imagine them telling me to imagine pooing so I can push. 2 pushes and babies are out. Mind u, I just had a baby 5 months ago.

I tell God what I want and the funny this is cuz I don't feel pain or contraction, God always lead me to the hospital at the right time nd am always told I would have delivered at home if I wasted like 20 more mins

Lucky you. Some people have it easy, some don't. Same with periods, some don't even feel pain, some feel pain.

6 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Wendy80(f): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
rokiatu:
My brother I dont know I am hoping na true lol though I doubt it.

Child birth terrify me mannh!

Was terrified too when I was preggy with my daughter to d extent I was planning to opt for CS from day 1 of pregnancy but my sister inlaw said no.
I kept thinking abt the pain but @ 38weeks I was scheduled for CS cos her weight. Once u see ur bundle of joy all ur pains will just fizzle away grin
If u want epidural pls do go for it, gone are d days of I wanto feel what labour pains feels like. Dem no de give award for labour pains.

6 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Hotstepper(f): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
Agreed! I don't have pain during period too

Stillfire:

Lucky you. Some people have it easy, some don't. Same with periods, some don't even feel pain, some feel pain.

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Hotstepper(f): 10:04pm On Feb 10, 2015
[

Even if dem dey give award sef, why suffer in pain wen u have an option

quote author=Wendy80 post=30614165]

Was terrified too when I was preggy with my daughter to d extent I was planning to opt for CS from day 1 of pregnancy but my sister inlaw said no.
I kept thinking abt the pain but @ 38weeks I was scheduled for CS cos her weight. Once u see ur bundle of joy all ur pains will just fizzle away grin
If u want epidural pls do go for it, gone are d days of I wanto feel what labour pains feels like. Dem no de give award for labour pains.[/quote]
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Wendy80(f): 10:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
[quote author=Hotstepper post=30614235][

Abi oh, my sister. D way some pple take ds epidural and CS thingy, I just tire
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by mutter(f): 10:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
A natural birth can be a beautiful experience for a woman if only she will be open to it and face it without fear.

With the proper breathing technique and relaxing you can give birth to your child without feeling too much pain.

With my first child I kept waiting for the terrible pain to come to get me screaming and shouting but it never came.
I honestly never got an epidural and the labour was quite bearable every time.

Certainly there was pain but the pain comes in bouts and at the end when the baby comes you do not feel that much pain because you are so busy pushing.

I know some women who had epidurals and complain of back pain yeas later. Perhaps the doctor can confirm if that is possible.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
mutter:
A natural birth can be a beautiful experience for a woman if only she will be open to it and face it without fear.

With the proper breathing technique and relaxing you can give birth to your child without feeling too much pain.

With my first child I kept waiting for the terrible pain to come to get me screaming and shouting but it never came.
I honestly never got an epidural and the labour was quite bearable every time.

Certainly there was pain but the pain comes in bouts and at the end when the baby comes you do not feel that much pain because you are so busy pushing.

I know some women who had epidurals and complain of back pain yeas later. Perhaps the doctor can confirm if that is possible.

Labor and delivery are no cake walk
I also know a woman who dislocated her hips after childbirth and epi or no epi had nothing to do with it
The whole thing is risky
Na God
But if given the opportunity I advocate epi always
Anyone who has had a baby with it and without it can testify
The difference is like steak and kpomo

9 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 10, 2015
I only have four words.

"Epidural is the truth!"

5 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 10, 2015
@ OP it's ultimately your choice to make
Maybe you should try this
Have this first baby without it and see how it goes and decide what to do for the next one
Come back and tell us
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
ileobatojo:
I only have four words.

"Epidural is the truth!"

I will kiss the man that invented that procedure wallahi
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by JustCurious: 10:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
When you get to the river, you'd cross the river...#teamNatural. smiley
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
babyosisi:

I will kiss man that invented that procedure wallahi

I'm telling you! cheesy
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Lumpyy(f): 11:23pm On Feb 10, 2015
Hotstepper:
Instead of being scared, take a lot of time to pray and tell your God what you want and it shall be given unto you.

My 2 pregnancies were painless nd no contractions. Infact, the doctors are still wondering how that's possible. You can imagine them telling me to imagine pooing so I can push. 2 pushes and babies are out. Mind u, I just had a baby 5 months ago.

I tell God what I want and the funny this is cuz I don't feel pain or contraction, God always lead me to the hospital at the right time nd am always told I would have delivered at home if I wasted like 20 more mins
The God that did urs will do my next one oo,mehnnn,i screamed for more dn 24hrs

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by damiso(f): 11:40pm On Feb 10, 2015
When I was asked what my birth plan was for my second baby I said one word. ..EPIDURAL. grin

With my first I had read all sorts of 'snazzy' natural birthing methods 'hypnobirthing' ' water birth' 'ante natal yoga' bla bla. I was so hung up on 'letting my body do what it was designed for'.I went for all kain classes and my birth plan was as long as iwe ipejo (court order).I even bought one yeye 'natural noises' cd that I was told 'calms' you down in labour.plus all kain natural oils (they never actually left my bag grin) .fa fa foul dat birth plan flew out of the window and after being in labour for 10 hours I was gasping for that epidural I said I would not have cheesy Unfortunately I was too far gone to have one.

Unfortunately abi is it fortunately I also did not get one with my second cos of my now impatient son. The boy could not wait to come out.I had him 10 mins after we got to the hospital.

4 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by baby124: 11:42pm On Feb 10, 2015
damiso:
When I was asked what my birth plan was for my second baby I said one word. ..EPIDURAL. grin
With my first I had read all sorts of 'snazzy' natural birthing methods 'hypnobirthing' ' water birth' 'ante natal yoga' bla bla. I was so hung up on 'letting my body do what it was designed for'.I went for all kain classes and my birth plan was as long as iwe ipejo (court order).I even bought one yeye 'natural noises' cd that I was told 'calms' you down in labour.plus all kain natural oils (they never actually left my bag grin) .fa fa foul dat birth plan flew out of the window and after being in labour for 10 hours I was gasping for that epidural I said I would not have cheesy Unfortunately I was too far gone to have one.
Unfortunately abi is it fortunately I also did not get one with my second cos my now impatient son .The boy could not wait to come out.I had him 10 mins after we got to the hospital.

Damn. 10mins shocked shocked shocked. The place had become a natural shortput after the first one. lol. grin

3 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by damiso(f): 11:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
baby124:

Damn. 10mins shocked shocked shocked. The place had become a natural shortput after the first one. lol. grin

grin grin grin grin

I had been having contractions at home and was almost fully dilated by the time we left home.

If not that my mum was kinda hung up on me not having an abiona (can't translate) I would have had him in the car cos I kept getting the urge to push.She kept saying'jo jeki a de hospital '(pls lets get to the hospital) grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by baby124: 12:00am On Feb 11, 2015
damiso:

grin grin grin grin

I had been having contractions at home and was almost fully dilated by the time we left home.

If not that my mum was kinda hung up on me not having an abiona (can't translate) I would have had him in the car cos I kept getting the urge to push.She kept saying'jo jeki a de hospital '(pls lets get to the hospital) grin grin grin

So after the first one, its not really needed for most women for the second one. The needle for the epidural is no joke at all. I will rather go natural than endure the needle.

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by dBard: 12:04am On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
I really need serious contributions only. I am seriously looking at getting an epidural for my first birth, I have even discussed it with my husband and hes cool with it as long as thats what I want. but my mother is a big advocate for natural birth and will have it no other way. She has 1 billions reasons why pain assisted birth is bad. And now am actually scared and terrified of having an epidural. But knowing myself and all I am still indecisive about the whole thing. Anyways long story short, anyone have experience with any or both to please share with me? I will really appreciate it like I said serious contributors only thank you.

P.S I am not pregnant I am just preparing. cheesy grin

well, first of all. there's no medical procedure that is devoid of complications and epidural is no exception.
That said, there are other tins u need t consider such as the cost, ease/convenience etc.
epidural is wonderful if pain is an issue to u but be sure to discuss every aspect of the procedure with whom so ever u choose too
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Stillfire: 12:05am On Feb 11, 2015
damiso:

Unfortunately abi is it fortunately I also did not get one with my second cos of my now impatient son. The boy could not wait to come out.I had him 10 mins after we got to the hospital.

10 hours? shocked
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by damiso(f): 12:17am On Feb 11, 2015
baby124:

So after the first one, its not really needed for most women for the second one. The needle for the epidural is no joke at all. I will rather go natural than endure the needle.

Different people have different pregnancies and births and bodies that react differently .I guess after the first time the body is a bit accustomed to the childbirth process.
Stillfire:

10 hours? shocked

It was actually 15 hrs grin cheesy

waters broke around 6pm and had the baby 9.19am the next morning (can never forget as she was born on the 19th of the 9th).Everyone kept commenting on the coincidence cheesy
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by weaseloo: 12:32am On Feb 11, 2015
baby124:
Epidural slows things down. Though natural is painful like mad, but its faster than Epi. cheesy

Not true.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 12:59am On Feb 11, 2015
baby124:

I almost had my second baby in the ambulance
The whole labor lasted about 90 minutes and most of it was at home
By the time the thing hit bad,I told hubby he couldn't drive me,the kid was about to come out
The ambulance landed and they couldn't even make it to my designated hospital
We rode with lights blazing and sirens too
They just took me to the nearest hospital and I was wheeled straight into the delivery room
The birth was taking place while hubby was signing the papers and I was scratching on the paper in the name of signature
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by soulglo: 12:59am On Feb 11, 2015
Epidural all the way. Anybody who tells me otherwise does not have my best interest at heart.

2 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by baby124: 1:01am On Feb 11, 2015
weaseloo:

Not true.
Based on experience. Very true. Though we yet to get there but I have witnessed quite a few of family members and friends. The last one went from 4 mins apart to 10 mins apart with epidural. True story. In fact it even got longer than 10mins after a while that mother was playing computer games. C-section ended the stpry after over 12hrs of labor
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 3:40am On Feb 11, 2015
@ OP

To help you, cut down on your a s s and reduce eating everything that would put cholesterol in your system. Your stomach is big and that means you have fat there. In other words, seek for advice from the professionals and stop using Nairaland for something as important as giving birth to seek for advice.

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 4:03am On Feb 11, 2015
Thank you so much to all the wonderful women for al the wonderful advice. I appreciate it so much.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by weaseloo: 4:33am On Feb 11, 2015
baby124:

Based on experience. Very true. Though we yet to get there but I have witnessed quite a few of family members and friends. The last one went from 4 mins apart to 10 mins apart with epidural. True story. In fact it even got longer than 10mins after a while that mother was playing computer games. C-section ended the stpry after over 12hrs of labor

Like someone said before, we have different bodies, hormones, reactions etc so might not be so for everyone.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by onila(f): 4:45am On Feb 11, 2015
Hotstepper:

shocked shocked
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 7:11am On Feb 11, 2015
In an epidural, a local anesthetic – still derived from cocaine – is injected into the epidural space (the space around the tough coverings that protect the spinal cord). Epidurals block nerve signals from both the sensory and motor nerves, which provides effective pain relief but immobilizes the lower part of the recipient’s body.
In the last decade, a new type ofepidural has been developed (called “walking epidurals”) that reduce the motor block and allow some mobility.
Spinal analgesia (a.k.a. “spinals”) are also used for pain relief during labor, but unlike conventional epidurals, they allow women to move during labor. In a spinal, the analgesic drug is injected directly into the spinal space through the dura, reproducing fast-acting, short-term pain relief.
I prefer natural birth tho.

YOLO
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

It's your burden to bear as a woman, bear it graciously & stop looking for short cuts or easy ways out.

50calibre, cheesy you go around this forum telling people it's the 21st century, they should trust science and technology (especially in cases of conception) and stop being 'primitive'. But now, you are telling moi to bear the pain 'graciously' and science is a 'short cut'.

Pray tell, what side are you on?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 11, 2015
Joavid:

50calibre, cheesy you go around this forum telling people it's the 21st century, they should trust science and technology (especially in cases of conception) and stop being 'primitive'. But now, you are telling moi to bear the pain 'graciously' and science is a 'short cut'.

Pray tell, what side are you on?
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Some People Fear Registry Wedding? / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? / How To Process Death Benefits In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.