Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. (14265 Views)

If You're Happily Married, Please Share Your Story / Plan Your Baby’s Natural Birth / Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 10:11am On Feb 11, 2015
Joavid:

50calibre, cheesy you go around this forum telling people it's the 21st century, they should trust science and technology (especially in cases of conception) and stop being 'primitive'. But now, you are telling moi to bear the pain 'graciously' and science is a 'short cut'.

Pray tell, what side are you on?

Not in this case!! No I'm not against technology, my problem is the psychology behind a healthy woman using this process.

This is all part of a growing mentality among women these days, looking for ways to shy away from their responsibilities.

The painful process of childbirth is a very important stage every mother needs to go through, at least once.

Our ancestor gave birth in primitive conditions, in the bush with no medical facilities.

A healthy woman trying to shy away from this is just being lazy.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Not in this case!! No I'm not against technology, my problem is the psychology behind a healthy woman using this process.

This is all part of a growing mentality among women these days, looking for ways to shy away from their responsibilities.

The painful process of childbirth is a very important stage every mother needs to go through, at least once.

Our ancestor gave birth in primitive conditions, in the bush with no medical facilities.

lol as long as the medications wouldn't cause me extremes side effects lol I will do what's best for me and my baby. That women are supposed to bear pain blah blah nonsense am not up for it. I have very low pain tolerance level. Just because I am a woman don't mean I am a superhuman. Our ancestors back in the days give birth in such conditions because there was no alternatives. We are not suppose to do everything our ancestors, mothers or sisters did, we are suppose to do what's best for us.

9 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Edykul(f): 10:19am On Feb 11, 2015
I am learning here.

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Our male ancestors risked their lives hunting in the bush for days to find food. You, with your Tesco reward card, are being a very lazy man.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Our male ancestors risked their lives hunting in the bush for days to find food. You, with your Tesco reward card, are being a very lazy man.

Lol! cheesy
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

girl you are funny. This is epic grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
girl you are funny. This is epic grin cheesy
grin. I don't see how pain relief during labour makes the experience less beautiful/traumatic than without it.

5 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 10:30am On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
lol as long as the medications wouldn't cause me extremes side effects lol I will do what's best for me and my baby. That women are supposed to bear pain blah blah nonsense am not up for it. I have very low pain tolerance level. Just because I am a woman don't mean I am a superhuman. Our ancestors back in the days give birth in such conditions because there was no alternatives. We are not suppose to do everything our ancestors, mothers or sisters did, we are suppose to do what's best for us.

Well I could read from your post that ypur mum also advised against it. She sees the importance of going through the natural process which you unfortunately don't see.

To avoid the pain completely, you might as well go under the knife, I don't see any difference.

It's your body at the end of the day, and if your husband is cool with it, then why not?

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 10:34am On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Because they had to. I want to hunt, but I can't because my environment doesn't permit to.

Besides that's a completely different thing, we are talking about a natural process here not a lifestyle.

It's really sad though, seeing African women talking like this. They don't want to cook anymore, they don't want to do house chores anymore, now they no longer want to give birth naturally, you all are trying to imitate white women.

Why not go ahead and hire a surrogate
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Well I could read from your post that ypur mum also advised against it. She sees the importance of going through the natural process which you unfortunately don't see.

To avoid the pain completely, you might as well go under the knife, I don't see any difference.

It's your body at the end of the day, and if your husband is cool with it, then why not?

lol at c section been pain free. Hahahahahahaha hahahahaahahha the aftermath is a nightmare. Mom have 7 kids 3 c section, def the hardest of them all. Recovery is hard.

2 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Because they had to. I want to hunt, but I can't because my environment doesn't permit to.

Besides that's a completely different thing, we are talking about a natural process here not a lifestyle.

It's really sad though, seeing African women talking like this. They don't want to cook anymore, they don't want to do house chores anymore, now they no longer want to give birth naturally, you all are trying to imitate white women.

Why not go ahead and hire a surrogate
You want to hunt? I'd actually rather we pop to Tesco than observe my husband risk his life for us to eat. Is it my right to speak up on my husband's behalf, if indeed he wanted to go hunting?

This is a sensitive issue, because to one person it is a mere conversation regarding pain relief, to another, it is a rejection of cultural values. But we mustn't be afraid of progression and adapting our culture to live better lives. I don't equate a woman's choice to have an epidural to a choice to use a surrogate. Most women want to have an unmedicated birth, fact!! But we won't know ourselves until that pain whacks our sensibilities into submission. Some women have no choice, if they want a child (and their own lives) they must have an epidural, must have a CS, must use a surrogate. Do you only support pain relief in those scenarios?

Cooking, cleaning, all that stuff, is what most males expect a woman to do, as well as having a full-time job, being the primary child carer and looking after older relatives. It's what women WANT to do, but it's unfair to expect she can handle it because her mother did. It's not about imitating white women, it's about living a reasonable quality-of-life.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Creamish(f): 12:48pm On Feb 11, 2015
KingTom:
Epidural Anesthesia is what a vast majority of women are opting for, this is because as compared to regular anesthesia, epidurals only relief pain in the lower region and as such is better than regular anesthesia which just makes you go numb. However Africans tend to shy away from epidurals like your mother, claiming it's unnatural. I have had just a handful of patients who request for epidurals. The majority preferring to go natural. But Roki if you are not strong enough to go the Hebrew way, which is extremely painful, especially for first pregnancies, I recommend epidural.
#Justmyopinion

#NuffRespect. smiley
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 12:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

You want to hunt? I'd actually rather we pop to Tesco than observe my husband risk his life for us to eat. Is it my right to speak up on my husband's behalf, if indeed he wanted to go hunting?

This is a sensitive issue, because to one person it is a mere conversation regarding pain relief, to another, it is a rejection of cultural values. But we mustn't be afraid of progression and adapting our culture to live better lives. I don't equate a woman's choice to have an epidural to a choice to use a surrogate. Most women want to have an unmedicated birth, fact!! But we won't know ourselves until that pain whacks our sensibilities into submission. Some women have no choice, if they want a child (and their own lives) they must have an epidural, must have a CS, must use a surrogate. Do you only support pain relief in those scenarios?

Cooking, cleaning, all that stuff, is what most males expect a woman to do, as well as having a full-time job, being the primary child carer and looking after older relatives. It's what women WANT to do, but it's unfair to expect she can handle it because her mother did. It's not about imitating white women, it's about living a reasonable quality-of-life.

This is bigger than just pain relief, it's about wanting to exempt yourself from a natural obligation.

I don't know how to explain it better, but that pain experienced during childbirth is symbolic, it's a stripe you have to earn as a worthy mother, call it a medal if you will.

You're bringing a life into this world, it should be painful, that's nature's way of preparing you for the task ahead, animals go through this, humans have been going through this, so why the sudden intolerance to pain.

My mum felt the pain bringing me into this world, my wife would need to feel that pain as well. Pain isn't an excuse, women go through lots of painful beauty procedures like waxing, this shouldn't be an excuse when nature has given you 9 months to prepare.

It's understandable if for some legitimate reason some woman have to opt for less painful procedures but there's no justification whatsoever for a healthy woman. It's a crime of trying to evade the natural order.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 12:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
lol at c section been pain free. Hahahahahahaha hahahahaahahha the aftermath is a nightmare. Mom have 7 kids 3 c section, def the hardest of them all. Recovery is hard.

Really? Why then do all these celebrities opt for c section, I though that was the least painful and stressful
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Really? Why then do all these celebrities opt for c section, I though that was the least painful and stressful
Many of them do it out proud then shame really. They feel too posh to push.
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Well said. I try uploading a clap gif...

the damn thing wouldn't upload. angry angry angry grin
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

This is bigger than just pain relief, it's about wanting to exempt yourself from a natural obligation.

I don't know how to explain it better, but that pain experienced during childbirth is symbolic, it's a stripe you have to earn as a worthy mother, call it a medal if you will.

You're bringing a life into this world, it should be painful, that's nature's way of preparing you for the task ahead, animals go through this, humans have been going through this, so why the sudden intolerance to pain.

My mum felt the pain bringing me into this world, my wife would need to feel that pain as well. Pain isn't an excuse, women go through lots of painful beauty procedures like waxing, this shouldn't be an excuse when nature has given you 9 months to prepare.

It's understandable if for some legitimate reason some woman have to opt for less painful procedures but there's no justification whatsoever for a healthy woman. It's a crime of trying to evade the natural order.

Your thought process is very messed up. sad angry
natural order my foot

I'll most likely opt for the natural process but not for this messed up reason you wrote up there. sad

12 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Creamish(f): 1:45pm On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

A crime against who exactly? U? It was natural when the first man trekked to places...y not continue being natural? Y bother with vaccination? Y bother with schooling when illiteracy was natural?

Wat's so wrong with embracing technology? Watz wrong with minimizing maternal mortality thru childbirth? Watz wrong with minimizing infant mortality/disability? Watz wrong with having a child with little/no pain? Wat does a man gain in a woman's pain? Why go so far to ensure ur wife goes thru hell in d name of natural childbirth? Just cos ur not the one in that situation dosn't make it OK to judge anyone opting for some kind of relief. The anxiety of a painful childbirth causes a high BP for some and if not managed properly, the woman dies.....to prove wat? dat d natural way is the best?

Personally, at the end of it all, the most important thing is the safety & wellbeing of the mother & child. The process rily dosn't matter.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
Well said. I try uploading a clap gif...

the damn thing wouldn't upload. angry angry angry grin
Lol, it's okay, I'm feelin' the love! I hope you are getting some clarity regarding the topic smiley
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by bukatyne(f): 2:08pm On Feb 11, 2015
Interesting how male posters are 'team natural'

What's there to team about

You are not the one birthing the baby.

@OP, sure you got very nice answers

@contributors, thanks

4 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

Fifty, I think you attach too much importance to the pain aspect of a woman's labour. Pain is but one element of the entire experience of producing a baby. Women who give birth without an epidural say once the child is introduced to their arms, the pain is forgettable. Wouldn't that make pain redundant? It isn't the pain that's important, it is the child. Historically, the maternal mortality associated with child birth made the experience even more symbolic, the 'medal' was her life, but I know you don't wish for that association to participate in this conversation.

Waxing/beauty treatment is not comparable to labour, although it does friggin hurt grin. There is no other way a child can be borne into this world but to be plucked or pushed out of a womans uterus, so I am sympathetic to your 'natural order' cries, but I think you're trying to place too much importance onto the wrong places. A woman who has an epidural still will endure 9 months of pregnancy, still endure pain during labour(!), still push/endure the post-labour pain of the CS incision, still cry when she meets her baby for the first time, still defend that baby with her life.

My fear for you concerns you bride/babymother-to-be. I sincerely hope she is everything you wish for, but don't be too let down if she actually cannot handle the pain when the time comes. Be supportive. I can 100% say I fully intend to bear the pain of childbirth, but what do I, or you, really know about child birth?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Fifty, I think you attach too much importance to the pain aspect of a woman's labour. Pain is but one element of the entire experience of producing a baby. Women who give birth without an epidural say once the child is introduced to their arms, the pain is forgettable. Wouldn't that make pain redundant? It isn't the pain that's important, it is the child. Historically, the maternal mortality associated with child birth made the experience even more symbolic, the 'medal' was her life, but I know you don't wish for that association to participate in this conversation.
Waxing/beauty treatment is not comparable to labour, although it does friggin hurt grin. There is no other way a child can be borne into this world but to be plucked or pushed out of a womans uterus, so I am sympathetic to your 'natural order' cries, but I think you're trying to place too much importance onto the wrong places. [size=20pt]A woman who has an epidural still will endure 9 months of pregnancy, still endure pain during labour(!), still push/endure the post-labour pain of the CS incision, still cry when she meets her baby for the first time, still defend that baby with her life.[/size]
My fear for you concerns you bride/babymother-to-be. I sincerely hope she is everything you wish for, but don't be too let down if she actually cannot handle the pain when the time comes. Be supportive. I can 100% say I fully intend to bear the pain of childbirth, but what do I, or you, really know about child birth?
These are moments that make you wanna meet some nairalanders personally. grin

[img]http://2.bp..com/-7W-3SMCK3_Q/VLF3U_pr2-I/AAAAAAAAEWQ/p-kX6S0orBo/s1600/hathawaycryclap.gif[/img]

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
These are moments that make you wanna meet some nairalanders personally. grin

[img]http://2.bp..com/-7W-3SMCK3_Q/VLF3U_pr2-I/AAAAAAAAEWQ/p-kX6S0orBo/s1600/hathawaycryclap.gif[/img]
Yaay, So I've earned my clapping gif from the megabytegods! Thank you honey, most of us are on here to make sense of things through exploration of other peoples perspectives and opinions- me most of all kiss
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Yaay, So I've earned my clapping gif from the megabytegods! Thank you honey, most of us are on here to make sense of things through exploration of other peoples perspectives and opinions- me most of all kiss
True that.

You are an intelligent chic. You won a fan in me today. wink

2 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by soulglo: 3:55pm On Feb 11, 2015
I just can't with some posts.

3 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 11, 2015
soulglo:
I just can't with some posts.

Lol!
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 4:38pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

Waxing/beauty treatment is not comparable to labour, although it does friggin hurt grin. There is no other way a child can be borne into this world but to be plucked or pushed out of a womans uterus, so I am sympathetic to your 'natural order' cries, but I think you're trying to place too much importance onto the wrong places. A woman who has an epidural still will endure 9 months of pregnancy, still endure pain during labour(!), still push/endure the post-labour pain of the CS incision, still cry when she meets her baby for the first time, still defend that baby with her life.

I'm not attaching too much importance to the pain aspect.. I highlight it a lot because I know for sure that's what scares most women.

My opinion is that a healthy woman shouldn't have any form of assisted childbirth except recommended by a professional. I believe in allowing nature take its course.

However I agree the bolded is perhaps the most important factor in all this, safety of mother & child should come first but all I keep hearing is how excruciating the pain is then on the other hand I see loads of young girls going through this easy peasy like its nothing.

The truth is; outside the little I've seen & heard, I really don't know what goes on in those labour wards and I'm happy as I dude I'm not going to find out. grin
Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by 50calibre(m): 4:44pm On Feb 11, 2015
Creamish:

A crime against who exactly? U? It was natural when the first man trekked to places...y not continue being natural? Y bother with vaccination? Y bother with schooling when illiteracy was natural?

Wat's so wrong with embracing technology? Watz wrong with minimizing maternal mortality thru childbirth? Watz wrong with minimizing infant mortality/disability? Watz wrong with having a child with little/no pain? Wat does a man gain in a woman's pain? Why go so far to ensure ur wife goes thru hell in d name of natural childbirth? Just cos ur not the one in that situation dosn't make it OK to judge anyone opting for some kind of relief. The anxiety of a painful childbirth causes a high BP for some and if not managed properly, the woman dies.....to prove wat? dat d natural way is the best?

Personally, at the end of it all, the most important thing is the safety & wellbeing of the mother & child. The process rily dosn't matter.

You're right!! On this I admit defeat.

2 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 5:07pm On Feb 11, 2015
50calibre:

I'm not attaching too much importance to the pain aspect.. I highlight it a lot because I know for sure that's what scares most women.

My opinion is that a healthy woman shouldn't have any form of assisted childbirth except recommended by a professional. I believe in allowing nature take its course.

However I agree the bolded is perhaps the most important factor in all this, safety of mother & child should come first but all I keep hearing is how excruciating the pain is then on the other hand I see loads of young girls going through this easy peasy like its nothing.

The truth is; outside the little I've seen & heard, I really don't know what goes on in those labour wards and I'm happy as I dude I'm not going to find out. grin
@ bolded So, you're just out to give women a hard time then? Naughty. Boy. grin

Labour is never ever peasy, what Disney Channel show have you been studying? We who do not know should embrace our place as spectators until experience tells us otherwise.

50calibre:

You're right!! On this I admit defeat.
Lol, Creamish, he gon' learn today! grin

1 Like

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Creamish(f): 5:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
Flytefalls:

@ bolded So, you're just out to give women a hard time then? Naughty. Boy. grin

Labour is never ever peasy, what Disney Channel show have you been studying? We who do not know should embrace our place as spectators until experience tells us otherwise.

Lol, Creamish, he gon' learn today! grin

Shows his level of maturity... others would rather hurl out insults on womenfolk than reason constructively. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2015
rokiatu:
True that.

You are an intelligent chic. You won a fan in me today. wink
Awww smiley. I hope your thread allows you to explore the options with level-headedness.

I don't fear the pain of childbirth more than I use to fear the associated side effects of pain relief- but those fears have mostly been alleviated through information and experience. Go into the labour ward well-informed, and know you need not feel guilty for any decision you are well within your rights to make! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Epidural Vs Natural Birth Please Share Your experience. by mutter(f): 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2015
I can understand that most women are scared. Most women now shy away from a natural birth because of the pain and there is no point trying to convince anyone otherwise.
If you cannot approach a birth as a natural process you are bound to stiffen up and have so much pain.

I had all my children natural and I never had to scream or yell and throw myself around, like you see in the movies and films cheesy

Another advantage of a natural birth is that your movement is not restricted. I like walking around, squatting or even entering a bath tub.

I think that most women are scared by what the hear and see and that frightens them. You need to inform yourself more about natural births. In some countries it is an occasion and the whole family is in attendance for a home birth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Submission In Marriage / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? / Do Prenuptial Agreements Work In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.