Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly (2479 Views)

10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil / 16 Wrongly Parked Cars And They Got "Served"(pics) / Removing Shoes While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 10, 2015

Here we are again. Let's discuss car battery terminals. A lot of our worthy road side mechanics do not know the sequence of removing car battery terminals.

I believe strongly that the negative terminal should be removed before the positive terminal and when REPLACING them the positive terminal is fastened first then the negative terminal.

Now, the BIG question is, what is the effect of removing and fastening battery terminals wrongly on
a) sensors in the car.
b) other electrical components?

Let's discuss and learn.

1 Like

Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 10, 2015
Fried ECU & other sensitive electronic components.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 11:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
0rex:
Fried ECU & other sensitive electronic components.
Dont you think that is too extreme.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by lonelydora: 5:42am On Feb 11, 2015
Yes! *grabs sit opens a bottle of Hero * waiting to learn from gurus.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 11, 2015
There's no effect on any components in removing or replacing the battery terminals in the wrong order.

It is however advisable to remove the negative first, AND replace positive first for one reason.

All modern vehicles employ negative earth. Which means if you attempt to remove the positive first, you run the risk of causing a short circuit, IF your wrench / spanner makes contact between the battery positive terminal AND any metal part of the vehicle, which of course is still connected to the battery negative terminal.

The same applies with replacing the battery negative first.

Such a short circuit MAY destroy other electrical components. And of course, fitting the terminals the wrong way round - i.e positive cable on battery negative, negative cable on battery positive will MOST certainly destroy any control module that contains semi-conductor material.

2 Likes

Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 11, 2015
Nice one Oga Siena.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 11, 2015
chiebube:

Dont you think that is too extreme.
No. Just like Siena has said, just removing terminals wrongly might not have any effect. I was referring principally to inverting the positive & negative terminals in my post.

Kudos Siena.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by honmusa(m): 4:19pm On Feb 11, 2015
so also engaging in unwholesome practice of removing your battery when car is still working can go along way in damaging sensitive accessories in your car .As the battery that suppose to act as voltage stabilizer for the alternator is no longer available.
if you need to jumpstart another car, dont remove your batttery ,use jumper cable

1 Like

Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 11, 2015
@Orex, through Siena's post comment very well. Carefully go through this post.
From the 2nd paragraph down, he talked about the risk of having a short circuit which is dangerous.

1 Like

Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 11, 2015
chiebube:
@Orex, through Siena's post comment very well. Carefully go through this post.
From the 2nd paragraph down, he talked about the risk of having a short circuit which is dangerous.
Thanks. I understand the post clearly.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by edubest(m): 8:20pm On Feb 11, 2015
Don't try that in 2001 class, you will end up replacing your back Sam.it happened to me, am now very careful, the manual says the negative should be removed first, before the positive, the reverse is the case when replacing them.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 11, 2015
Siena:
There's no effect on any components in removing or replacing the battery terminals in the wrong order.

It is however advisable to remove the negative first, AND replace positive first for one reason.

All modern vehicles employ negative earth. Which means if you attempt to remove the positive first, you run the risk of causing a short circuit, IF your wrench / spanner makes contact between the battery positive terminal AND any metal part of the vehicle, which of course is still connected to the battery negative terminal.

The same applies with replacing the battery negative first.

Such a short circuit MAY destroy other electrical components. And of course, fitting the terminals the wrong way round - i.e positive cable on battery negative, negative cable on battery positive will MOST certainly destroy any control module that contains semi-conductor material.

Try this with w203 Mercedes and you would spend 15 to 20k replacing your rear Sam. Your fuel guage won't work, the trafficators wont work and you have to reset your power windows and moon roof. With some cars the negative have to go out first and come in last.
Re: Removing and Fastening Battery Terminals In Your Car Wrongly by paix(m): 5:59pm On Feb 15, 2015
cne010:

Try this with w203 Mercedes and you would spend 15 to 20k replacing your rear Sam. Your fuel guage won't work, the trafficators wont work and you have to reset your power windows and moon roof. With some cars the negative have to go out first and come in last.
. That was my thought also.

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Help Needed Toyota Corolla 03 / Installation of my Subwoofer on my BMW F Series / See How Keke Napep Was Tilted In Fuelling Station Just To Get More Fuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.