Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers (25907 Views)

You Can’t Remove Ekweremadu, PDP Dares APC Senators / You Can’t Remove Me On Pages Of Newspaper, Oyegun Tells Tinubu / Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by LRNZH(m): 7:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
APPARENTLY disturbed by speculations that the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega may be removed before his tenure expires on June 13, members of the All Progressives Congress,APC, in the House of Representatives, Tuesday, said President Goodluck Jonathan has no such powers to remove the apex electoral body boss.

Some of the APC lawmakers who spoke to Vanguard unanimously condemned the alleged move as President Jonathan does not have such constitutional powers to effect such a change.

Vanguard recalls that immediately after Jega announced the postponement of the 2015 elections, the social media was awash with stories that Jega was forced to postpone the election to pave way for the presidency to remove him from office.

Also prominent elder statesman, Chief Edwin Clark in different fora had repeatedly call for the removal of Jega.

But today, APC Representatives in a chat with Vanguard declared that any attempt by the presidency to remove Jega would be resisted citing relevant sections of the constitution to buttress their points.

“Jega is not a civil servant-Minority Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila, APC, Surulere Federal Constituency, Lagos

Gbajabiamila in his reaction said ”personally I do not consider the Chairman of INEC as a civil servant subject to our civil service rules same way I am not a civil servant”.

“There is a difference between a civil servant and a public servant or officer. INEC and its chairman are a creation of the constitution. Their operations and regulations are as provided under sections 156 and 160 of the constitution”.

“Which specifically says only INEC has the powers to regulate its own procedures and cannot be subject to approval or control of the president or any other authority thereby establishing its independence”.

He further explained that “furthermore terminal leave is a form of removal, however,you slice or cut it and section 157 of the constitution is very clear that the INEC chairman’s removal can only be initiated by two thirds of the senate and not by the president.

“The question of who is a civil servant is answered in section 171 of the constitution and the chairman of INEC is not included.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/02/presidency-cant-remove-jega-apc-lawmakers/#sthash.5uB49PmK.dpuf

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by eye4eye: 8:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
The Nigerian Constitution is clear with no ambiguity whatsoever!

“There is a difference between a civil servant and a public servant or officer. INEC and its chairman are a creation of the constitution. Their operations and regulations are as provided under sections 156 and 160 of the constitution”.

“Which specifically says only INEC has the powers to regulate its own procedures and cannot be subject to approval or control of the president or any other authority thereby establishing its independence”.

He further explained that “furthermore terminal leave is a form of removal, however,you slice or cut it and section 157 of the constitution is very clear that the INEC chairman’s removal can only be initiated by two thirds of the senate and not by the president."

-Nigerian Constitution as Amended in the Electoral Law of 2011.

Jonathan is desperate and he won't go down without trying his luck. He did it unlawfully against Sanusi and he will surely try it again. But this time around, he will have to kill a lot of people and end up in International Court Prison in Hague.

Jonathan will make a good couple with Charles Taylor.

173 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by temitemi1(m): 8:04pm On Feb 10, 2015
These apc lawbreakers no get sense oooo! Maybe they have forgotten that he who hires can also fired tongue tongue tongue... He who pays the piper dictate the tunes grin grin grin... GEJ till 2019!!!

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Creamz(m): 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Jega should be allowed to do his work. Only a mad person will consider removing him and bringing in another person who doesn't know the laid down plans of the commission for the election in the last minute. I know Jonathan must have made some errors in the past but if he does this, it will be the worst mistake in his administration. Every right thinking Nigerian knows that Jega is a man with credibility.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by LRNZH(m): 8:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
temitemi1:
These apc lawbreakers no get sense oooo! Maybe they have forgotten that he who hires can also fired tongue tongue tongue... He who pays the piper dictate the tunes grin grin grin... GEJ till 2019!!!

Go and educate yourself. Having a tablet and fingers to type rubbish is not enough. PDPigg.

188 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by eye4eye: 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2015
temitemi1:

Reading simple English is your problem.

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by EvilBrain1(m): 8:11pm On Feb 10, 2015
By the time these PDP people are finished, Nigeria will be a pariah nation. They want to destroy all our credibility as a democratic country just to stay in power against the people's wishes.

Soon nobody will want to touch us, foreign investors will take their money and run and we'll be back to the Abacha days; except with more corruption.

22 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by vedaxcool(m): 8:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
It should be clear to APC that GEJ -a reclining fool- is willing to subvert democracy to remain in power or secure his cronies and thieves he has used to perpetuate ordinary stealing, APC needs to begin playing this evil game of goodbye ebele jogogoro with more proactiveness, instead of sighting the constitution they should use it against him, suits should be originated by APC govs against the prosponement of elections, this surreptitious moves to remove jega etc jogogoro must be proclaimed a criminal by the supreme court.

19 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by LRNZH(m): 8:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
vedaxcool:
It should be clear to APC that GEJ -a reclining fool- is willing to subvert democracy to remain in power or secure his cronies and thieves he has used to perpetuate ordinary stealing, APC needs to begin playing this evil game of goodbye ebele jogogoro with more proactiveness, instead of sighting the constitution they should use it against him, suits should be originated by APC govs against the prosponement of elections, this surreptitious moves to remove jega etc jogogoro must be proclaimed a criminal by the supreme court.

I concur. APC and other opposition lawmakers should begin impeachment proceedings against GEJ, Sambo and David Mark to keep them busy for the next 6 weeks.
Operation fire for fire.

A lot of Nigerians don't even know much about the constitution.

cc: Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove, Maclatunji, OAM4J
Kindly do the needful to educate more people.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Toonboard: 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
Watch and see. No long talk. Whether u like it or not Jega is going..... GEJ till 2019

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by vedaxcool(m): 8:26pm On Feb 10, 2015
LRNZH:

I concur. APC and other opposition lawmakers should begin impeachment proceedings against GEJ, Sambo and David Mark to keep them busy for the next 6 weeks.
Operation fire for fire.

A lot of Nigerians don't even know much about the constitution.

cc: Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Ishilove, Maclatunji, OAM4J
Kindly do the needful to educate more people.

Indeed, sitting back while a irredeamable fool and moro.n takes us to the edge would be APC's biggest mistake, sack all of GEJ loyalists that the parliament has oversight!

6 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
Creamz:
Jega should be allowed to do his work. Only a mad person will consider removing him and bringing in another person who doesn't know the laid down plans of the commission for the election in the last minute. I know Jonathan must have made some errors in the past but if he does this, it will be the worst mistake in his administration. Every right thinking Nigerian knows that Jega is a man with credibility.
JEGA HAS COMPROMISED AND MUST BE REMOVED.

16 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Descartes: 8:30pm On Feb 10, 2015
We are used to such craps "Only 2/3 of the Senate can remove Sanusi as CBN Governor". The question is "where is Sanusi now?I laugh in Cantonese...grin

33 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by LRNZH(m): 8:35pm On Feb 10, 2015
Descartes:
We are used to such craps "Only 2/3 of Senate can remove Sanusi as CBN Governor". The question is "where is sanusi now?I laugh in cantonesegrin

I am tempted to agree with you but GEJ can't do what they did to the office of the CBN Governor to the INEC Chairman's office especially in this precarious times.

INEC has more vested interests than CBN.

28 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by koikoi2(m): 8:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
whether Jega is removed or not does not change d fact dat there is no vacancy in Aso rock.

GEJ til 2019

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 10, 2015
Seriously sometimes I really get so pissed off with my party. This evil party called pdp have clearly shown the world that dirty/muddy politics is the only thing they understand and are good in. Why won't we serve them in their own coin? We should also show the bastards that nobody has any monopoly for dirty politics.

We have the numbers in the HOR, why can't we serve Gej with a impeachmentt notice.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by omanzo02: 8:44pm On Feb 10, 2015
LRNZH:

I am tempted to agree with you but GEJ can't do what they did to the office of the CBN Governor to the INEC Chairman's office especially in this precarious times.

There u go again, so u shouted during sanusi......there are clauses too that empowers the president to remove whomever that contravenes the constitution.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Descartes: 8:48pm On Feb 10, 2015
LRNZH:

You have a point dear but you have to fear PDP.As it stands now APC can not dislodge these "evil men" in PDP cos there are a lot of PDP moles in APC who give the ruling party more info about the next move by the driven engines in your party. Are you telling me that Tinubu and other APC stalwarts were not aware of Buhari certificate saga before the news broke out? I'm at the sidelines observing the wits play the game of chess on the Nigerian political chessboard where the masses are political pawns.Lest I forget, Tinubu is a chessmaster and the ruling party is aware of that and needs to be checkmated.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by bilalfarid(m): 8:52pm On Feb 10, 2015
I really do enjoy the way and manner APC normally outsmart PDP in every critical issue. Befor the postponement APC had already told nigerian of the plan by the presidency, am sure u all also remembered the audio tape elrufai released of katsina state governor instgating attacks aganst the oposition. These just shows how smart members of the APC are. They think before saying anything, unlike gej who is known to make coments that would backfire him in d future, eg corruption is not stealing, .....money dat is not enough to by a car and buhari jailed him, and many others. I swear. GEJ and all pdp supporters know APC would win the election if its free and fair.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by dguyindcorner(m): 8:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
omanzo02:

There u go again, so u shouted during sanusi......there are clauses too that empowers the president to remove whomever that contravenes the constitution.

if anybody has contravened the Constitution here it is GEJ.

so watcha say?
Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by omolami: 8:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
Gbajambiamila lied Jega is an appointee of d president,which was comfirmed by d senate just like Lamido Sanusi a former CBN governor who was also comfimed by d senate.Did sanusi not proceed on terminal leave which is his entittlement?.Gbajamiabila missed d point,Jega will proceed on terminal leave and nigeria will not collaps.Grater noice yu and others made during Lamido's episode but he left and nothing happened,infact he later appologised.

7 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by sosanova: 8:53pm On Feb 10, 2015
[size=13pt]Story for the gods
Is that not what they said during Sanusi era, they said Presidency can't remove Sanusi expect National Assembly but what happened.
APC janja-weedians just watch as the movie unfolds in the coming days..
Jega...going...going...going..GONE
grin grin grin grin
[/size]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by alaoeri: 8:55pm On Feb 10, 2015
Even if Jega is remove that doesn't change the fact that Jona is a gonna, we already know the number of votes from each states & regions, result will be announce by each REC before proceeding to Abuja, cameras & recorders will be at all polling units so how is Jona going to rig because that's there only option. Any which way Jona is going back to Otuoke come May 29. Only in Nigeria will a ruling party be acting like an opposition.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by dguyindcorner(m): 8:56pm On Feb 10, 2015
masterpower:

JEGA HAS COMPROMISED AND MUST BE REMOVED.

How??

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by vedaxcool(m): 9:02pm On Feb 10, 2015
LRNZH:

Had APC challenged the rubbish drunk did then, he wouldn't feel so good repeating the same trick.
One illegality begets more.
Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by LRNZH(m): 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2015
The other thing people overlook is NLC is on Nigerian's side.
GMB spoke at their congress this week thereby gaining more solidarity.

Any mistake by GEJ/PDP including removing Jega or further postponement of election will return the #OccupyNigeria protests as has happened under GEJ in 2012.
Add that to an impeachment proceedings against GEJ and PDP will be begging for a military coup.

8 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by arewafederation: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2015
temitemi1:

Don't you feel ashamed of your self after posting this rubbish?

13 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by vedaxcool(m): 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
LRNZH:
The other thing people overlook is NLC is on Nigerian's side.
GMB spoke at their congress this week thereby gaining more solidarity.

Any mistake by GEJ/PDP including removing Jega or further postponement of election will return the #OccupyNigeria protests as has happened under GEJ in 2012.
Add that to an impeachment proceedings against GEJ and PDP will be begging for a military coup.

What if his game plan is secession?

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by worthytalk: 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
That's how you guys misled Sanusi. U guys have come again.

9 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by siraj1402(m): 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
Forget,its a matter of plotting some allegations against him and ask him to step aside for investigation and that's the end.

4 Likes

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by jingh(f): 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
tell the power drunk clueless man obasanjo imposed on us.

he will fail in his own game by God grace.

say no to stagnancy

and yes to buhari the changer

AM marching for buhari
GEJ go and ***
I don't give a f**k with you.
buhari I know
buhari I am gonna vote for

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers by Rawani: 9:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
jega is going nowhere!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wike Is Constructing Judge's Quarters In Port Harcourt, Rivers (Photos) / 2019 Elections: INEC Results Collation Process Not Transparent.. E. U / Bandits Turn Villagers Into Slaves In Katsina - Bashir Kurfi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.