Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters (25128 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Presidency To Remove Jega This Week / Presidency Denies Alleged Plot To Remove Jega / Presidency Can’t Remove Jega - APC Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by AdeniyiA(m): 6:17am On Mar 02, 2015
“Once Prof. Jega is removed, Mr. President will nominate a new chairman who will declare that INEC is not ready to use PVCs. And once PVCs are removed, it will become easier to carry out major rigging,” an INEC source said.

SaharaReporters has learned that hawkish members of President Goodluck Jonathan’s inner circle have convinced him to move in an aggressive and decisive manner to remove Attahiru Jega as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) this week.

Sources within INEC as well as the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) disclosed that, barring a last-minute change of heart, President Jonathan will go ahead this week to force Mr. Jega to embark on a terminal leave prior to the end of his year in the middle of 2015.

Our sources said the decision to remove Mr. Jega would open the door to appoint a new chairman, a national commisoner of INEC, Amina Bala Zakari, who would be open to jettisoning the use of permanent voters cards and other anti-rigging technologies. “Once Prof. Jega is removed, Mr. President will nominate a new chairman who will declare that INEC is not ready to use PVCs. And once PVCs are removed, it will become easier to carry out major rigging,” an INEC source said.

He added that the Presidency had been able to use its massive slush funds, sourced from deals in the oil and energy sectors, to compromise a majority of INEC officials in the states. Over the last four years, Petroleum Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke has been stashing away funds that President Jonathan is now using to bribe electoral officials, traditional rulers, and even some members of the civil society groups. One PDP insider told SaharaReporters that Mr. Jonathan had distributed more than $200 million to different groups since INEC postponed elections two weeks ago.

Several sources said the removal of Mr. Jega is a major part of a strategy developed by President Jonathan’s team to ensure that they win the presidential and other elections by hook or crook. The presidential election is now scheduled for March 28 while governorship and legislative polls will hold on April 11.

Two weeks ago, facing a groundswell of opposition and in the face of rising unpopularity, the PDP and Mr. Jonathan used a series of maneuvers to compel INEC to postpone elections for six weeks. SaharaReporters had detailed plans by Mr. Jonathan and his team to postpone elections in order to slow the momentum of the All Progressives Congress and its presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.

The Presidency knew that the APC and its presidential candidate were short on campaign funds, said our sources. In forcing the postponement, Mr. Jonathan and his inner circle achieved a temporary crippling of the main opposition party’s ability to continue to run political campaigns and to sustain its electoral lead over the ruling party.

An APC top official told SaharaReporters that the party was truly short of funds. “The president and his people have been putting aside public funds for a long time. They are now sharing the money around the country, but Nigerians are not fools. When the elections come, people will remember that all that money was stolen from them,” he said.

Prior to the postponement, some PDP officials had confided in SaharaReporters that their party and Mr. Jonathan were on the ropes and faced certain defeat. But following the postponement, some of the same officials now wax confidence, asserting that Mr. Jonathan and their party would comfortably win the elections.

A PDP official told SaharaReporters that Mr. Jega’s removal was a done deal. According to him, the hawks around Mr. Jonathan, including Ms. Alison-Madueke, Governor Olusegun Mimiko, Vice President Namadi Sambo, and presidential aides Doyin Okupe and Femi Fani-Kayode, believe that the PDP and Mr. Jonathan can weather the storm of any fallout from the firing of the INEC chairman. “They believe the APC, the world press, the US and EU will make noise, but then everybody will eventually calm down,” said the source. He added that the same situation played out when President Jonathan removed Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the Governor of the Central Bank.

Our sources said Mr. Jega’s refusal to be compromised in the conduct of this year’s elections had spelt his doom. “Many RECs (resident electoral commissioners) are in the party’s [PDP’s] pocket, but Professor Jega has refused even to pick up the phone calls of those representing the president. That’s why the decision has been reached to push him out of the way,” one INEC source said. He added that Mr. Jega knew that the eyes of the world were on him, and had decided to run elections that are acknowledged as credible.

Our sources added that, before and after Mr. Jega’s removal, the PDP plans to launch a major campaign to depict him as incompetent, corrupt, and a servant of the APC. “His successor will come out and say that INEC’s preparations for the elections are in a state of mess and that further delay is needed to make proper preparations,” he added.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/03/01/presidency-may-remove-jega-week

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by PassingShot(m): 6:21am On Mar 02, 2015
Well, Jonathan's words mean NOTHING to him. He will surely go the way of Gbagbo or Samuel Doe.

Jonathanians should be reminded that those two leaders including the all-powerful and western-backed Mobutu Sese Seko never thought they could end the way they did. Na like this e take start for them too.

He who has ears let him hear.

187 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by AdeniyiA(m): 6:21am On Mar 02, 2015
No matter what the PDP and the presidency smoke, they can not be the most high.
If Jonathan plays Gbagbo, he'd summarily be GbagboED out ... angry

146 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by TreQuartista: 6:24am On Mar 02, 2015
Jonathan is a dying man, he will do just about anything in his desperate bid to save his Presidency and perpetuate himself in power. That is why 'all way na way' as far as he is concerned. Even if these 'ways' plunge the nation into anarchy and chaos, he simply can't be bothered.

One thing is certain though, Nigerians are wiser now. The resolve and will of the people cannot be broken. Nigerians remain resolute in our desire for #Change. This we shall get through the ballot on March 28 by voting en-masse for the People's General - GMB. We shall vote for Buhari and defend our votes. We will not be swayed because #WeHaveDecided to #March4Buhari.

Hit 'LIKE' if you are for Buhari.

Shove your toe up your rectüm if you are for the clueless one - GEJ

282 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by helpee(m): 6:25am On Mar 02, 2015
Are we ready to use PVC when millions of PVC are yet to be printed? If JEGA is too proud to accept this simple truth then the stress of the job is already telling on him. Before we smuggle him out to London for a medical check up too, let's do him a favour by sending him on a well deserved terminal. On behalf of my family and I, I thank him for serving his fatherland meritoriously, enjoy your terminal leave sir.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by Nobody: 6:27am On Mar 02, 2015
While some want to save the nation, others want to win an election.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by siraj1402(m): 6:27am On Mar 02, 2015
Only someone with no future will believe in anything Jonathan say if Jega is removed.This is a president who said in presidential media chat that he is not planning to remove Jega and that Jega will be the one to conduct this election.Nothing cost him to tell us then that Jega may go on terminal leave as stated by law.If it happen eventually, all what Obasanjo said is true.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by madridguy(m): 6:35am On Mar 02, 2015
This shows the otuoke man can never be trusted for his words.....PDP looking for all means to cancel the proposed card reader.....I am laughter for this outgoing presido as he don't know what is doing again.

Well, I have decided......
I am going with the CHANGE team.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by menesheh(m): 6:38am On Mar 02, 2015
Anti GEJ media organisation

Always expecting words from the president.

For me, Jega must go siting reasons

-uneven distribution of pvc
-parciality in collection of pvc
-meeting with APC leaders in Dubia
-saying he is ready while far from ready
-anti-GEJ
-Non test of card reader in a smaller election b4 being use in national election
-misapropration of fund meant for the sucess of the pvc sensitization
-and numerous others etc

He could not achieve anything in the last 4 years and we are still talking abt distribution of pvc now.

That mean there will be total failure in the D day for the election

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by Bright4(m): 6:39am On Mar 02, 2015
If d present of GMB can make a sitting president dt is not serious for 6yrs, to b more active under 6weeks, bet me, affairs of Nigeria within a year under general, will be a blessing. Meanwhile, I have decided to march4change.

126 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by otokx(m): 6:40am On Mar 02, 2015
If they want to shoot let them shoot and not talk.

1 Like

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by oneeast: 6:43am On Mar 02, 2015
Buhari should present his credentials we can't employ him to the highest job in the land without any qualification.

GEJ till 2019

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by orobs93(m): 6:44am On Mar 02, 2015
I believe them...jonathan is not a man of his words

That was how the election postponement started...he go dey form say e nor knw wetin dey happen

17 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by dj187: 6:51am On Mar 02, 2015
Jonathan wants to crash land dis our great country, which ever way he chooses to do d crash landing, him & his goons will b d first casualties

18 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by ionsman: 6:51am On Mar 02, 2015
helpee:
Are we ready to use PVC when millions of PVC are yet to be printed? If JEGA is too proud to accept this simple truth then the stress of the job is already telling on him. Before we smuggle him out to London for a medical check up too, let's do him a favour by sending him on a well deserved terminal. On behalf of my family and I, I thank him for serving his fatherland meritoriously, enjoy your terminal leave sir.
We keep saying the government is corrupt. ..Just imagine the foolish statement you are uttering. ..The presidency and the Pdp intend to plunge this nation into chaos through their selfish desires but you find absolutely nothing wrong it. People like you are the main problem of this nation. Good morning. .

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by saaedlee: 6:55am On Mar 02, 2015
madridguy:
This shows the otuoke man canner be trsuted for his words.....PDP looking for all means that cancel card reader.....I am laughter for this outgoing presido as he don't know what is doing again.

Well, I have decided......
I am moving with CHANGE

I am laughter for this your comment oo.

#SaiBuhari

14 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by saaedlee: 6:57am On Mar 02, 2015
dj187:
Jonathan wants to crash land dis our great country, which ever way he chooses to do d crash landing, him & his goons will b d first casualties

I turn that into a prayer and add AMEN

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by helpee(m): 7:00am On Mar 02, 2015
ionsman:

We keep saying the government is corrupt. ..Just imagine the foolish statement you are uttering. ..The presidency and the Pdp intend to plunge this nation into chaos through their selfish desires but you find absolutely nothing wrong it. People like you are the main problem of this nation. Good morning. .
eeyah....do you know I am yet to get my PVC? I got to where I registered, they directed us elsewhere. I've been there about 7times and I stopped going. So, in a sane country, if millions of us about to be disenfranchised decide to sue INEC after election will you then realise what JEGA is doing is wrong. It is you guys blinded by partisan politics that don't know what Jega is doing is wrong. Jonathan postponed election, two weeks after millions are yet to receive their PVC, was Jonathan not right in postponing it? I am as important as JEGA. I have a job to elect my president, JEGA has a duty to ensure I do my job. Now JEGA is stopping me from doing my job and you insist he must not be stopped. Ask yourself....are you making sense at all? And pls note.....govt is corrupt right? can you name just one person prosecuted in any APC state for corruption by any APC govt including fashola? Or everybody in APC govt is a saint abi?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by madridguy(m): 7:05am On Mar 02, 2015
Lol......very huge typing error, I will adjust it my brother...rushing to type before I found myself at page 22....you know NL hurry of a thing...thanks so much..

saaedlee:

I am laughter for this your comment oo.

#SaiBuhari

2 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by egift(m): 7:07am On Mar 02, 2015
Jonathan is walking down the Laurent Gbagbo route. Any attempted attempt will not blow him any good.

13 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by san316(m): 7:09am On Mar 02, 2015
We are watching. you can remive him, but you cant remove the fact t
hat GEJ will be removed from Aso rock come march 28.

8 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by abe27633: 7:17am On Mar 02, 2015
ionsman:

good point there

7 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by SuperModerator: 7:17am On Mar 02, 2015
Funny, he doesn't have the constututional powers.

He needs 2/3 of the legislators and there is no way he can achieve that cause APC won't agree

7 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by khalebzy(m): 7:17am On Mar 02, 2015
d
Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by omanifrank(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
oh mine
Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by phlio(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
pls gej don't make the mistake a beg...

3 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by Viktor1983(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
#Following
Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by alaoeri: 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
Doesn't change the fact that Jona is going back to otuoke come May 29.

6 Likes

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by LMAyedun(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
APC and Lies sha..

No matter what... GEJ till 2019

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by rozayx5(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2015
grin
good one. the scammer that sent ss pvc to kebbi and witheld pvc from igbos in lagos grin

good bye APC bingo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by engrflames: 7:19am On Mar 02, 2015
Pls send the biased northern prof back home let see what Apc gansters are capable of doing.
Gej... oppresing Apc with the power of imcubency

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency May Remove Jega This Week..... Saharareporters by holatin(m): 7:19am On Mar 02, 2015
this shouldn't surprise anyone.
GEJ like to have his stooge in all government level.
so he can use them as toy for his advantage.

Before you call sahara reporter liar or rumours peddler, show me your comment when they say GEJ plan to postpone the election.

GMB I know
GMB I believe
GMB for change

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

INEC Sets Date For 2019 Presidential Election, February 16, 2019 / I Don't Know The Technology Used In Making Of Ganduje Bribery Videos - Buhari / Media, Supporters Barred As Igboho’s Cotonou Trial Resumes Behind Closed Doors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.