Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship (715 Views)

What Do Men Want From Women In A Loving Relationship? / Seven Tips To Discover And Utilize What You Have / 10 Tips For Building Loving Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by sexyjennik(f): 6:56pm On Feb 12, 2015
Valentine’s Day might feel simply like another excuse to exchange gifts, but you can turn that thinking around and use this holiday for loftier purposes. “Much like New Year’s Day is an occasion to set goals for the coming year, Valentine’s Day is an opportunity to re-establish your intentions for the life you want to create with your partner.

Using the holiday as a catalyst to remember why you love each other can spark growth. “You can change your relationship just by changing your own attitude or behaviour. And if you make those changes from a place of love, your relationship will thrive.” Here are some tips for a lasting relationship.

1. Express Gratitude

“One of the most important ways to build a relationship is to vocalize your appreciation. Each day, share at least two things you appreciate about your partner, whether it’s something tiny (his smile) or large (his parenting skills).

2. Be the Change

Blaming is a common reason relationships falter. Stop waiting for your partner to get it right and take the initiative. “Ask yourself, ‘How can I be generous instead of judgemental? Then use your voice and actions to demonstrate your love instead of your disappointment.”

3. Cultivate Your Listening Skills

Each week, set aside time to listen to each other. When it’s your turn, do nothing but pay attention “no suggestions or judgments” and reiterate what you’re hearing. (For example, “I hear that you’re upset.”) “Truly listening to your partner and reflecting his thoughts and feelings back to him supports him in solving his own problems''. It also builds your compassion.

4. Practice Empathy

“Empathy is the antidote to judgment and blame,” If you notice yourself feeling superior to or hurt by your partner, imagine yourself having his experience, so you can comprehend what he’s going through. “Understanding your partner’s point of view softens your heart,” 

5. Remember Your Commitment During Difficult Times

When you and your partner are dealing with a challenge,sit side by side with your shoulders touching when you discuss it. This reminds you of the connection between the two of you and puts the problem in front of you rather than between you.

6. Touch Every Day

Just as infants can fail to thrive if they’re not held enough, relationships can wither without regular loving, physical contact. Although sex definitely counts, “Any nurturing, pleasurable touch is good.” Squeeze in a kiss before leaving for work, give your partner a neck rub after dinner, or snuggle while watching TV. (Or, better yet, do all three.)

7. Keep Your Agreements

The importance of honouring your vows is clear, but making good on even mundane commitments is also vital. “Keeping an agreement, no matter how small, builds trust, and trust is the foundation of all successful relationships,” If your partner asks you to pick up some milk on your way home and you agree, make sure you get the milk.”

Common guys,lets make this valentine's day worthwhile by bring back those lovely memories in our relationships.

Criticisms are welcome

Wishing you all a happy valentine's day in advance......
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by Psalmwise(m): 7:04pm On Feb 12, 2015
Hmm I wil try it and see and if it works ....I would go and do tancgiving in religion section...,
You deserve a plate of....
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by sexyjennik(f): 7:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
Psalmwise:
Hmm I wil try it and see and if it works ....I would go and do tancgiving in religion section...,
You deserve a plate of....
Lol, ok but don't forget to invite me for the thanksgiving o grin
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by Obiomon: 7:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
Does sex really matter in a relationship? embarassed
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by nzeobi(m): 7:13pm On Feb 12, 2015
Know what you want and go for it
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by sexyjennik(f): 7:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
Obiomon:
Does sex really matter in a relationship? embarassed

It doesn't. It depends on what both of u wants
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by Psalmwise(m): 10:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
sexyjennik:

Lol, ok but don't forget to invite me for the thanksgiving o grin
dnt worry...its u dat wud help me kary d tanksgiving basket.. grin.
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by sexyjennik(f): 10:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
Psalmwise:
dnt worry...its u dat wud help me kary d tanksgiving basket.. grin.
Ok. Dats nice grin
Re: Seven Tips For A Lasting,loving Relationship by Nobody: 10:08pm On Feb 12, 2015
soooooo true.

(1) (Reply)

Seriously, What Was Your Reaction? / A Nairalander's Valentine Message To Nairaland / Select One: Who Are You Spending Valentine With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.