Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 (53743 Views)

Suleiman Afegbua Assassinated On Benin-Auchi Road (pics) / Frozen Account: Court Fixes Patience Jonathan's $200m Suit For February 13th / Corpse Of Murtala Muhammed In 1976 (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by tifany89(m): 8:55am On Feb 14, 2017
Sheguama:

The story about how Col. Wya's wife committed suicide alongside her children is not true. -That was erroneously claimed by Col. Ogbebor, the first Nigerian to be enlisted in the NDA in one of his interviews. The Wyas 4 children (2 males, 2 females) are all alive hay and hearty today. Though Mrs Wya's car had a collision with a truck and died on her way to Kaduna few months after the death of her husband.
Okay thanks for the clarification, I just tire for this misinformation here n dere. I'm sure that col Ogbebor must be an Apc member now

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 14, 2017
Baresywood365:

-This is the accounts of the first son of the late army officer.
Nice one
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by Nobody: 9:16am On Feb 14, 2017
Pavore9:
Now remember the movie "76".

what about it?
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by Pavore9: 10:20am On Feb 14, 2017
fanacy:

what about it?

It is themed around a Nigerian military coup.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by logica(m): 11:35am On Feb 14, 2017
delishpot:

one ex military govt was executed for gross misconduct on his order when he entered office.
Huh? Who?
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by logica(m): 11:39am On Feb 14, 2017
engrchykae:
he is a northern supremacist thats the reason why he despise non northerners like ironsi and gowon.
I hope you are aware Murtala was originally from Auchi?
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by delishpot: 11:40am On Feb 14, 2017
logica:
Huh? Who?

I was not there, Google told me. Na as you sef ask naim me too take ask. I read that one was executed for gross misconduct.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by logica(m): 12:31pm On Feb 14, 2017
delishpot:

I was not there, Google told me. Na as you sef ask naim me too take ask. I read that one was executed for gross misconduct.
Nothing like that happened.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by laudate: 12:32pm On Feb 14, 2017
whirlwind7:
Which is the sad reason why the upcoming generation has no sense of direction or belonging.
Our so called leaders are going to find out shortly how they are doing more harm than good by proscribing history lessons in schools. You CANNOT build a nation by neglecting your past, whatever the circumstance was.
We are still far from becoming a nation, in the real sense of the word.

You are right. The greatest disservice done to people of this generation, was to stop history from being taught in schools. angry Let us learn from the words of George Santayana.

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by delishpot: 12:36pm On Feb 14, 2017
logica:
Nothing like that happened.

Okay
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by zendy: 4:36pm On Feb 14, 2017
slurryeye:

Show me any soldier that's not a killer. You keep saying read your history. What's there to read, that Murtala committed war crime in Asaba? Which commander at both side didn't commit war crime? Do you forget that Ojukwu and Biafran soldiers committed same atrocity when they invaded mid west? And don't let us forget extra judicial killing of Banjo and Ifeajuna by Ojukwu. So cut me that crap that Murtala got served for what he did because the last time I checked Aguiyi-ironsi didn't partake in the 1st 1966 coup and he was brutally murdered in the 2nd coup. If your Karma is sensible enough, someone like IBB and Gowon shouldn't be alive today.

Soldiers are trained to kill for their country, they are not trained to kill for their vanity like Murtala did. Ojukwu commited which attrocity? Thats like saying that Gowon commited attrocities because of the Asaba massacre. Neither Gowon nor Ojukwu held any direct field command and therefore, cannot be directly responsible for any war crime commited in the field unless they directly issued it or condoned it.

Go and read history well, both Ifeajuna and Banjo where tried by a military tribunal and sentenced to death. They were both given a fair hearing, infact, the transcriplt of their tial can be found in Ben Odogwus book "crisis and conflicts inside Biafra". You have no point.

Murtala led the counter coup that killed over 300 officers from the old Eastern Region.

Troops under Murtalas command murdered over 700 civilians in Asaba

Murtala the showed how much of a bad Soldier he was when he led his Second Division from one disaster to the other until they were finally destroyed at Abagana.

Murtala was then recalled from the war and sent to London.

Murtala Mohammed was a disgrace to the uniform he wore and to the art of Soldiering as a whole.

Generally, Murtala Mohammed was a failed Soldier, a mass killer, war criminal, military dictator and a pychopath.

The only reason the name of Murtala still exists is because Nigeria is not a civilised country.

No civilised country honours people like Murtala Mohammed by putting his demonic face on the local currency or having an international port of entry named after him.

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by engrchykae(m): 5:48pm On Feb 14, 2017
logica:
I hope you are aware Murtala was originally from Auchi?
so i heard and i also heard that gowon is originally from ebonyi.

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by slurryeye: 6:07pm On Feb 14, 2017
zendy:

Soldiers are trained to kill for their country, they are not trained to kill for their vanity like Murtala did. Ojukwu commited which attrocity? Thats like saying that Gowon commited attrocities because of the Asaba massacre. Neither Gowon nor Ojukwu held any direct field command and therefore, cannot be directly responsible for any war crime commited in the field unless they directly issued it or condoned it.

Go and read history well, both Ifeajuna and Banjo where tried by a military tribunal and sentenced to death. They were both given a fair hearing, infact, the transcriplt of their tial can be found in Ben Odogwus book "crisis and conflicts inside Biafra". You have no point.

Murtala led the counter coup that killed over 300 officers from the old Eastern Region.

Troops under Murtalas command murdered over 700 civilians in Asaba

Murtala the showed how much of a bad Soldier he was when he led his Second Division from one disaster to the other until they were finally destroyed at Abagana.

Murtala was then recalled from the war and sent to London.

Murtala Mohammed was a disgrace to the uniform he wore and to the art of Soldiering as a whole.

Generally, Murtala Mohammed was a failed Soldier, a mass killer, war criminal, military dictator and a pychopath.

The only reason the name of Murtala still exists is because Nigeria is not a civilised country.

No civilised country honours people like Murtala Mohammed by putting his demonic face on the local currency or having an international port of entry named after him.

First of all, the military trial of Banjo and Ifeajuna was not in anyway a fair hearing, as obtained from the excerpt below
"Banjo was alleged to have staged a coup plot against Biafran President Odumegwu Ojukwu.and was executed as a result. It took a second military tribunal judge to sentence Victor Banjo, because Odumegwu Ojukwu's first military judge stated that there were not enough evidence to convict Victor Banjo of coup charges"
How could Ojukwu accused Banjo of plotting coup against him when he was in far away middle east, and doesn't have ground troop in Enugu to stage the alleged coup.
That being said, you people keep saying Murtala committed war crime without evidence to back it up aside hearsay. Could it have been possible for Murtala to have killed some civilians? Yes I agree, but the fact remains that there is little to differentiate Biafran soldiers from ordinary civilians then, as any able bodied male was a potential soldier in the south east. Mind you, record shows that Ojukwu even used child soldiers during the war. Do not get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify whatever Murtala did if at all he killed civilians, all what I'm saying is, do not demonise him while exonerating others from likely atrocities or potential to do so. Neither Ojukwu nor Gowon nor anyone that fought for them has their hands clean. As a matter of fact, the war was an unnecessary and stupid war to start with

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by gawu1: 6:15pm On Feb 14, 2017
dokyOloye:
The only person I have empathy for is the Wya family.
As for Murtala,I'm sure satan is raping him wtout lubrication for d Asaba genocide.
Every time name Murtala is mentions Biafra, ipods, and their sympathizers must shiver as if they wake up and see theirselves inside lion den
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by zendy: 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2017
slurryeye:

First of all, the military trial of Banjo and Ifeajuna was not in anyway a fair hearing, as obtained from the excerpt below
"Banjo was alleged to have staged a coup plot against Biafran President Odumegwu Ojukwu.and was executed as a result. It took a second military tribunal judge to sentence Victor Banjo, because Odumegwu Ojukwu's first military judge stated that there were not enough evidence to convict Victor Banjo of coup charges"
How could Ojukwu accused Banjo of plotting coup against him when he was in far away middle east, and doesn't have ground troop in Enugu to stage the alleged coup.
That being said, you people keep saying Murtala committed war crime without evidence to back it up aside hearsay. Could it have been possible for Murtala to have killed some civilians? Yes I agree, but the fact remains that there is little to differentiate Biafran soldiers from ordinary civilians then, as any able bodied male was a potential soldier in the south east. Mind you, record shows that Ojukwu even used child soldiers during the war. Do not get me wrong, I'm not trying to justify whatever Murtala did if at all he killed civilians, all what I'm saying is, do not demonise him while exonerating others from likely atrocities or potential to do so. Neither Ojukwu nor Gowon nor anyone that fought for them has their hands clean. As a matter of fact, the war was an unnecessary and stupid war to start with

First you said that Ojukwu extrer-judicially killed Banjo and Ifeajuna, now you admit they faced a tribunal. Banjo was arrested in Enugu shortly after hosting a meeting with his co-conspirators. For details of how Banjo and Ifeajuna planned to remove Ojukwu, read Ben Odogwus 'Crisis and conflicts inside Biafra'. Ben Odogwu was one of those recruited by Banjo for the coup but he ran to Ojukwu instead. Ojukwu then asked him to play along and he was given a briefcase with a secret recorder in it in which he used to gather evidence against Banjo and Ifeajuna.

As for Murtala, this thread is about him and not about Ojukwu or Gowon. Ojukwu and Gowon have their own threads where anyone can discuss their individual positives and negatives.

The basic thing here is that troops under Murtala gunned down over 700 civilians, there many books and eyewitness testimonies about it.

Murtala is directly culpable for the actions of troops umder his command
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by dokyOloye: 8:25pm On Feb 14, 2017
gawu1:

Every time name Murtala is mentions Biafra, ipods, and their sympathizers must shiver as if they wake up and see theirselves inside lion den
A pity U ppl don't know even 1 bit of history.
Murtala led so many soldiers to their death in 2 failed attempts at crossing the river Niger.
He also led d failed invasion of Abagana where it was estimated that at least 1000 Nigerian soldiers died.
In fact,he had to be hurriedly withdrawn from the war front and sent on 'holidays' to the UK after his last fiasco at Abagana.
Read brother,read.
A simple google search will also do U a lot of good.
Murtala is a definition of a failed soldier,and is only 'famous'(the proper term is notorious) in the Hitler manner because of the Asaba genocide.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by loopmangoat(m): 9:41pm On Feb 14, 2017
dokyOloye:
Murtala led so many soldiers to their death in 2 failed attempts at crossing the river Niger.
He also led d failed invasion of Abagana where it was estimated that at least 1000 Nigerian soldiers died.
In fact,he had to be hurriedly withdrawn from the war front and sent on 'holidays' to the UK after his last fiasco at Abagana.
Read brother,read.
Murtala is a definition of a failed soldier,and is only 'famous'(the proper term is notorious) in the Hitler manner because of the Asaba genocide.
The main reason gowon removed murtala from the war was that he ran away like a coward when they were ambushed at abagana
They will never tell you this part of the story

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by ReubenE(m): 9:45pm On Feb 14, 2017
cheruv:

Not that he participated... He was the brain behind the coup that threw out Ironsi, although he lost control of it and the stuff went from a coup to a pogrom. He didn't participate in the one that brought him to power...the leader in that one was one Nanvem like that who I heard was Gowon's relative.
Muritala failed in almost all his military endeavors... From the counter coup he lost control of to the failed battles of Onicha and finally the annihilation he suffered at abagana which led to his retirement from the war.
Thanks for shedding more light...

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by gawu1: 11:12pm On Feb 14, 2017
dokyOloye:
Read brother,read.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by gawu1: 11:22pm On Feb 14, 2017
dokyOloye:
Read brother,read.
Hahahaah! History as narrated by one dokyOloye on nairaland.com.
Let me tell you, even revisionist Biafra historians had never undermined the impacts of Murtala to the fail of Biafra. Why do you think Biafra passionately hate the mention of the Murtala? The word genocide is often used only by those who have recorded serious casualties or have received heavy humiliation, especially in war situation.
Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by nku5: 12:28am On Feb 15, 2017
Militarily Murtala was a worthless failure. Besides being responsible for the Asaba massacre/genocide, he was unable to capture Onitsha from Asaba across river Niger and wasted many soldiers trying. After being sorely frustrated by Biafran troops he had to take his troops on a roundabout trek to the rear and was only able to enter Biafra by accessing gaps through present day Kogi state.

As a Head of State he totally wrecked the civil service which till date has not recovered. The man was just crap

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed Assassinated On February 13th, 1976 by dfrost: 4:59am On Feb 16, 2017
Pavore9:

Before when someone pays in N100k into one's Nigerian account, one can withdraw about 51,000ksh here via ATM but now cards no longer works and the N100k now exchanges for 20,618ksh!

That's a lot of difference shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Late Bola Ige And Martin Luther King At A Conference (Throwback Photo) / Buhari Threatened To Sack Ministers Because Of Extradition Agreement With UAE / 2023: Nigerians Don’t Want PDP Or APC, Everybody Is Obidient - Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.