Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,067 members, 7,828,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million (3684 Views)

"How I Paid N12 Million Into Justice Ajumogobia's Company Account" - Witness / President Buhari’s Driver Sa’idu Afaka, Returns Missing Money To Saudi Arabia / A Cleaner Who Earns N7,800 Found And Returned N12million In Lagos Int, L Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by KEVIND: 10:29am On Feb 16, 2015
A cleaner, Josephine Agwu, working with a concessionaire at Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, has returned to the security unit of the airport, N12 million she suspected was left behind by a passenger. Josephine is a cleaner on a monthly salary of N7,800.

The incident happened January 23, 2015, while Josephine was cleaning a toilet near the screening point of the departure area of the airport.

She told Newswatch Times that she saw a small handbag left behind by a passenger and acted on instruction given that any bag left unattended to at the airport terminal must be picked and deposited with aviation security department of the airport.

According to her, after asking other passengers if the bag belonged to anyone of them and they all responded to the contrary, she picked the bag and took it to the security unit, where it was opened and found to contain $27,000 and other currencies, including naira, which added up to N12 million.

She told Newswatch Times that a passenger on Emirates Airlines, simply identified as Samuel from Anambra State, later claimed the ownership of the bag and its contents from the aviation security after much screening, adding that the man just thanked her and went away with the money.

When asked if she regretted her action when she realised that she could have bettered her future with it, Josephine, who claimed she has a very rich Christian background, said: “If I have taken what doesn’t belong to me, God will punish me. I am contented with my N7,800 monthly salary. It was not my money. I believe when it pleases God, he will bless the work of my hands and he will make me rich.

“This is not the first time I am doing this. This is the third time in this airport. The first was in the departure area. It belonged to a Nigerian. The second was at the screening point, it belonged to a white man. Of all, only the white man rewarded me with $50, which I rejected until my colleagues prevailed on me to collect it.”

The Ordinary National Diploma (Accounting) holder also said she had worked with many airlines as a casual worker in Enugu, with a track record of honesty, without anyone of them offering her full employment, before she moved down to Lagos to seek greener pasture but however, got a job at the airport as a cleaner.

Confirming the discovery, Airport Manager, MMIA, Lagos, Nathaniel Auta, said: “It was true that a cleaner with one of the concessionaires discovered such a huge amount of money and returned it to security. It is a very good testimony for us all.”

Also confirming the development, Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the airport, Colonel Carl Onalo (retired), told Newswatch Times that the lady must be appreciated for her honesty, to encourage others.

Onalo said the management of the airport and possibly that of Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) would do everything possible to celebrate Josephine for her honesty at the airport, as he used the opportunity to call on passengers and other users of the airport to have the assurance that whatever they bring to the airport is safe.

It would be recalled that last year, while flagging off anti-corruption campaign among low level workers in Nigerian airports, Aviation Minister Osita Chidoka, in conjunction with ICPC, promised that anyone found to be of good conduct would be highly rewarded, while those caught contravening the anti- corruption regulations in the airports, would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=9625&title=Airport-cleaner-on-N7,800-monthly-salary-returns-missing-N12-million
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 10:36am On Feb 16, 2015
This thing is too long, I didn't read it but wow, Such honesty
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by blackfase(m): 10:44am On Feb 16, 2015
Honesty should be rewarded, especially in a morality-depleted Nigeria as we have. Lets wait & see what Chidoka does.....

2 Likes

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by courage54(m): 10:48am On Feb 16, 2015
This is very good of her. i wish JONATHAN will emulate this gesture and return our missing 20billion dollars.

SAI BUHARI

5 Likes

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by ThedevilhimseIf: 10:57am On Feb 16, 2015
He/she's a big fool
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by eagleeye2: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2015
I like her honesty. When will I get the opportunity to show Nigerians and the world how honest I am?

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:
But there are longer stories on your blog, and you want people to read those, abi?

3 Likes

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by eagleeye2: 11:08am On Feb 16, 2015
KEVIND:

When asked if she regretted her action when she realised that she could have bettered her future with it, Josephine, who claimed she has a very rich Christian background, said: “If I have taken what doesn’t belong to me, God will punish me. I am contented with my N7,800 monthly salary. It was not my money. I believe when it pleases God, he will bless the work of my hands and he will make me rich.
Hmmmm.
It's only in the bible I read manna fell from heaven. Anyway, I don't think she really knew the content of the bag. She may have thought it was a bomb.

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Chiaka(f): 11:11am On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:

Not common honesty in our world Today. I commend her, a lot.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Realdeals(m): 11:13am On Feb 16, 2015
She tried! just hope she will be compensated handsomely for her honesty

Download the Android App for Daily New Headlines HERE

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2015
Opportunity comes but once. Maybe it was written that she was gonna make it through this but she just gave it away. Anyways good development, it just shows we still av people of integrity in this sane nation. Would definitely have done better

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 16, 2015
Blackett:
But there are longer stories on your blog, and you want people to read those, abi?

Lol, do you know dats exactly what I thought off when I was dropping the comment... but I was like let me see who will point it out. grin

Mind ya sef o grin

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Vision4God: 11:26am On Feb 16, 2015
In due time she wil receive her reward. God bless her.

Taking wat doesnt blong to u results into a curse

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by eaglechild: 11:27am On Feb 16, 2015
How can this be?

I thought Igbos love money too much.

I am just being sarcastic abeg.

She did a very commendable thing.

1 Like

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:

Lol, do you know dats exactly what I thought off when I was dropping the comment... but I was like let me see who will point it out. grin

Mind ya sef o grin
Na wa for you.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 16, 2015
Blackett:
Na wa for you.

grin how are you?
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:

grin how are you?
I'm doing ok. Hope you are too.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by mikolo80: 11:42am On Feb 16, 2015
ULSHERLAN:
Opportunity comes but once. Maybe it was written that she was gonna make it through this but she just gave it away. Anyways good development, it just shows we still av people of integrity in this sane nation. Would definitely have done better
so in your reasoning she can only make it as a thief ba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Ojaycom(m): 11:43am On Feb 16, 2015
eagleeye2:
I like her honesty. When will I get the opportunity to show Nigerians and the world how honest I am?

cheesy the lady is a good citizen,anyhow sha her reward fit dey heaven,its also very risky to pick up stuff especially cash thats not yours,u fit turn into tortoise or something weird...just saying grin
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 16, 2015
Blackett:
I'm doing ok. Hope you are too.

Yeah, thanks.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by hazyfm1: 11:47am On Feb 16, 2015
WOW!
INTEGRITY & HONESTY THE BEST LEGACY
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Princecalm(m): 11:50am On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:
can you do same, be sincere
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by eagleeye2: 11:53am On Feb 16, 2015
Ojaycom:

cheesy the lady is a good citizen,anyhow sha her reward fit dey heaven,its also very risky to pick up stuff especially cash thats not yours,u fit turn into tortoise or something weird...just saying grin
No wahala. for 12milla, I know say I fit turn big boy instead........(all na turn na turn)
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:55am On Feb 16, 2015
mikolo80:
so in your reasoning she can only make it as a thief ba.
She didnt steal it. Did you read it at all? moreover did i directly tell her to take the money
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 16, 2015
Princecalm:
can you do same, be sincere

Yes I can actually. I know this is nothing compared but once when I was in secondary school, I was given excess change but I didn't realise it until I went back to my dormitory. When I found out, I went back to the shop and returned the money. It was only about 30 naira or so, but the joy on the woman's face when I returned it was priceless. And I was happy. So yeah, I believe I would do the same with a larger amount.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Princecalm(m): 12:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
Tandullceblog:

Yes I can actually. I know this is nothing compared but once when I was in second school, I was given excess change but I didn't realise it until I went back to my dormitory. When I found out, I went back to the shop and returned the money. It was only about 30 naira or so, but the joy on the woman's face when I returned it was priceless. And I was happy. So yeah, I believe I would do the same with a larger amount.
alright let us let us leave it at that.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by mikolo80: 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
ULSHERLAN:

She didnt steal it. Did you read it at all? moreover did i directly tell her to take the money
so what does opportunity comes but once mean.pls explain.cos you claim she might have passed up her chance to "make it".how.by taking what is not hers
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by mikolo80: 12:33pm On Feb 16, 2015
ULSHERLAN:

so what does opportunity comes but once mean.pls explain.cos you claim she might have passed up her chance to "make it".how.by taking what is not hers .listeno to yourself
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2015
The only saint on this thread is me,I would have returned the money too......

Yes,returned the money to my pocket..
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by ULSHERLAN(m): 12:54pm On Feb 16, 2015
mikolo80:
so what does opportunity comes but once mean.pls explain.cos you claim she might have passed up her chance to "make it".how.by taking what is not hers .listeno to yourself
Its not an audio
Secondly, lets just burst this convo.
I dont keep convos for too long, its already boring.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by gen2briz(m): 1:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
God will surely reward your honesty...
Thank God you're not from the shoeless family.
Re: Airport Cleaner On N7,800 Monthly Salary Returns Missing N12 Million by mikolo80: 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2015
ULSHERLAN:

Its not an audio
Secondly, lets just burst this convo.
I dont keep convos for too long, its already boring.
smh

(1) (2) (Reply)

MASSOB Launches Biafran Currency, Vehicle Number Plates, Drivers Licence In Ower / Photos:Newly Married Governor Oshiomhole Caught Yawning During Lunch At Aso Rock / Jonathan’s Foreign Trips Gulp N3.3bn …travelled 20 Times In 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.