Stats: 3,162,066 members, 7,849,314 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:26 PM

Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown (909 Views)

Osinbajo, NASS Set For Showdown Over Vp's Refusal To Sign 4 Bills / Impeachment Threat: Pro, Anti-saraki Forces Set For Showdown / Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Gear Up For Showdown Against Buhari (2) (3) (4)

Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 16, 2015
Any request for further extension of the 2015 elections by six months from President Goodluck Jonathan may result in serious bedlam in the House of Representatives, it was learnt yesterday.

Members of the House are billed to reconvene tomorrow after embarking on a 5-week break in preparation for the earlier scheduled February polls.

Some members of the House who spoke to Daily Trust yesterday alleged that although Jonathan had said that the May 29 hand-over date is “sacrosanct” plans were afoot to come up with a request based on Section 135 of the constitution so that the National Assembly would extend elections for six months, thereby extending Jonathan’s tenure.

One of the lawmakers told our reporter on phone that some of his colleagues had already started making moves to create an enabling environment for such a request to scale through but added that “we won’t allow that to happen.

“I can tell you that some of their foot-soldiers among my colleagues have started working towards that. About three people called me this afternoon on this issue, saying we should support it,” said the lawmaker, who pleaded not to be named.
The lawmaker said part of the plan was to woo members with financial inducements “since some of us did not get return tickets, while others are saying that they’ve spent a lot of money during the campaigns, so the six months additional period will give them time to recoup their money.
“My tenure ends on May 29, because that is the mandate given to me by my people. I won’t take part in any illegality, although I have my return ticket,” saying “it’s really a dicey situation we may find ourselves,” he added.
Another lawmaker said no matter the amount of money that might be given, “we will not allow some selfish individuals to truncate our democracy.”

Similarly, House spokesman Zakari Mohammed told Daily Trust on phone that as they reconvene tomorrow, they would do everything possible to see that the new elections dates were adhered to, saying they would not approve any extension.
He said: “Budget will be part of our main focus, but there is need for us to invite all the relevant agencies so that we’ll hold them responsible.”

Asked if the House would endorse polls shift outside May 29, Mohammed said “it’s not possible. Nigeria is not anybody’s estate that they’ll change the rules in the middle of the game. The May 29 date is sacrosanct. We’ll invite all the agencies involved so that there won’t be another shift. It’s not possible to postpone again; we won’t accept that.”

“Let’s see the rationale for that. Let’s listen to them, but it’s not attractive at all. Whoever that wants to bring any extension now must explain to us the reasons behind that,” said Rep Bimbo Daramola (APC, Ekiti).

“It supposed to be a collective decision. So we are waiting. How can tenure elongation be made when the present administration needs to hand over? The issue is that I am representing my people, once matters like this are tabled, you are allowed to consult your constituency. Your constituents’ decision on the matter will determine your position in the House,” said Rep Jerry Mamwe (SDP, Taraba).

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/top-stories/47076-reps-set-for-showdown-on-tenure-elongation

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by madridguy(m): 1:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
You do not lead by hitting people over the head. That's assault, not leadership. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Oga Jona, the footwear Nigerian bought for you has been used otherwise. You have consistently kick us with the shoe till we almost got crippled. We are tired of your Government and whomever still want you should continue going with your train but as for me I have joined the moving train" APC "

A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit. ~John C. Maxwell

You have failed to accept your blame regards the country security lapses, you turn deaf to corruption going through your nose without tackle any. I have joined the team of the leader who has promised to send every corrupt politician to JAIL.

A man is only a leader when his follower stands beside him. ~Mark Brouwer

My president, you are presently on your own " OYO "

A leader leads by example not by Force. ~Sun Tzu

You forgot you were elected to the presidency as a democratic leader not as a autocratic. You have been doing everything to stop the CHANGE when it is very obvious that the CHANGE is near and nothing can hold it back.

A leader who doesn't hesitate before he sends his nation into battle is not fit to be a leader. ~Golda Meir

You have done everything at your reach to send this great country into war with no good response. Your government has caused so many diversity. As a leader you have told every Nigeria that you don't care about our unity as your selfish interest is ahead our UNITY. Telling us that we shouldn't vote for a man that he will Islamize the country and also your vise went to the North to say the same thing that it is only Buhari that is Muslim in APC that Northerner should not vote for Christian party. You and your team forgot our popular saying " ONE NIGERIA GREAT NATION "

Every leader needs to look back once in a while to make sure he has followers. ~Author Unknown

You have failed to look back to check if your followers are still gallantly behind you. Your followers are you true fans not Okupe, FFK, Asari Dokubo who are only after their pocket. Remember when it happened in Ivory Coast, Gbagbo and his wife face the music alone.

My advise to you sir Mr President, let go to the poll peacefully and if you win the election congrats and if the other side accept your fate as the presidency is not anyone birth right.

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Jorussia(m): 2:11pm On Feb 16, 2015
I am beginning to believe that tenure elongation is a reality,despite an open denial by Mr.president. This was the same way, poll shift was reported four weeks ago,and it later became a reality. I just that God save us from this quagmire.

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Jorussia(m): 2:12pm On Feb 16, 2015
I am beginning to believe that tenure elongation is a reality,despite an open denial by Mr.president. This was the same way, poll shift was reported four weeks ago,and it later became a reality. I just pray that God save us from this quagmire.

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Elslim: 2:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
GEJ doin everything humanly ans spiritually possible to stay in power since 2009

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Mekus68: 2:30pm On Feb 16, 2015
ITS NO LONGER RUMOUR, ITS NOW A REALITY.

ITS NO LONGER A SECRET, ITS NOW AN OPEN SECRET.

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 16, 2015
Change can't be stop it inevitable. Hit like for Buhari and share for Goodluck.

Re: Tenure Elongation : Reps Set For Showdown by obi4eze(m): 4:06pm On Feb 16, 2015
It's no more a question of who will win but a question of not handing over the winner. If Jonathan succeeds he will go down as the worst civilian President Nigeria ever had.
But it won't happen...

#changeishere
#buhariosinbajo

B-o-m-b-s-h-e-l-l!!! Obasanjo Is A Public Nuisance By Mallam Idris Mohammed (dak / APC Will Be Shocked On Election Day - Obanikoro / APC-FFK Fani-kayode Renting Boys To Boo Buhari At Chatham House (document)