Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,341 members, 7,819,202 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory (41499 Views)

Profitability Of Broilers & Layers Production. / Pilot Poultry Biz Project(a Case Study On The Profitability Of Raising Broilers) / Ugwu Farming//best Practices And Profitability ? Please Contribute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by anomsodi(m): 12:56am On Mar 01, 2015
Some pple r quiet funny.... U project ur profit Bt u did nt factor alot into ur cost...hw much does it cost transport dis garri to anoda part of nigeria...... Hw much wil u use to settle police pple dat standin along de way..... Hw much wil u pay as tax if u should get de garri into mkt....hw much is the bag u used to package the garri....hw much did u pay de person dat fried de garri....wot of dis little children dat help to sleeve de garri....assuming u r buyin fire wood hw much wil it cost...bear it in mind dat de cost might varies a little bit in de same state......abegi wot we should be discussing here is how to make profit out of it..so we can encourage more farmers to go into it cos garri has been saving life since 1century..And God should n shall bless de man or women dat invented garri
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by amarawa: 4:39am On Mar 01, 2015
Do we people here who practising garri processing or fufu (heard that odourless fufu is also viable)? they should pls shed more light on the cost implications, or if you people around you who are into such biz , you can help find out. I m sure this help will numerous farmers who are finding it hard to sell their tubers.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 10:18am On Mar 01, 2015
Was in my cassava farm yesterday, 10 months old now. Need buyer soon

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 1:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:
Please talk to lesgupnigeria. He is suppose to be the expert in that aspect.

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 1:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
jethro2:

Please talk to lesgupnigeria. He is suppose to be the expert in that aspect.

Lol, ok madam I'll do that, but u can help too
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

You have 2 months to do something before your cassava starts to feed on itself if you know what I mean. For starters, why not locate markets around you and found out which cassava products they have or do not have: gari, fufu, starch, etc.

2ndly, decide on which product you will process. Then find out the cost implications of acquiring the relevant BASELINE machines.

a) Instead of a mechanical gari fryer, why not buy frying basins.
b) Arrange firewood or gas, whichever is cheaper.
c) At least you can buy a gari grater. That one is not too expensive.
d) Look for a source of clean water. Buy a tanker of water and put in an overhead GP tank.
e) Look for all those native sieves that women use to sieve the cassava mesh. It works just as well as the mechanical sieves.
f) Organize labour. Those who will peel cassava, those who will bag the grated mesh, those who will compress the grated mesh with those planks tied together to form the fermentation racks, and two women who will fry the gari. Infact two women is all you need to sieve, construct your fermentation racks and fry the fermented mesh. They can even bag and sew teh bags up.
g) Get sacks. After frying and cooling the gari, bag it manually and sew it.

Gari that is well fermented, fried and dried can stay for up to a year without spoiling or growing mould. I fried gari when I was small, my dad before me did it, my elder brother did it and I can tell you that if you can stand the heat, there is nothing to it. You do all this, then sell your gari. Even if it takes you two months to clear that stock, do it. Then take the money and start to keep aside to acquire standard machinery for your processing plant. You can build a gari processing plant on a plot of land.

Start to do something in terms of processing. Make a plan and God will help you. You can always start small and keep pushing until you hammer. The experience too is worth it.

I have attached a document to show you the process.
http://www.4shared.com/office/WOowWIfBba/Gari_processing_Techniques-Wes.html

2 Likes

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 2:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

Lol, ok madam I'll do that, but u can help too
The contacts I have are not buying well. I will give you their numbers if you want. Who knows? They buy between N10,000 - N11,000 per tonne. You will bear the cost of transportation to the factory and they pay between 3 to 4 weeks after supply.
Please send me a mail at adesola_yinka@yahoo.com or send an sms to my phone to get the numbers if you will need it
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 2:08pm On Mar 01, 2015
stagger:

You have 2 months to do something before your cassava starts to feed on itself if you know what I mean. For starters, why not locate markets around you and found out which cassava products they have or do not have: gari, fufu, starch, etc.

2ndly, decide on which product you will process. Then find out the cost implications of acquiring the relevant BASELINE machines.

a) Instead of a mechanical gari fryer, why not buy frying basins.
b) Arrange firewood or gas, whichever is cheaper.
c) At least you can buy a gari grater. That one is not too expensive.
d) Look for a source of clean water. Buy a tanker of water and put in an overhead GP tank.
e) Look for all those native sieves that women use to sieve the cassava mesh. It works just as well as the mechanical sieves.
f) Organize labour. Those who will peel cassava, those who will bag the grated mesh, those who will compress the grated mesh with those planks tied together to form the fermentation racks, and two women who will fry the gari. Infact two women is all you need to sieve, construct your fermentation racks and fry the fermented mesh. They can even bag and sew teh bags up.
g) Get sacks. After frying and cooling the gari, bag it manually and sew it.

Gari that is well fermented, fried and dried can stay for up to a year without spoiling or growing mould. I fried gari when I was small, my dad before me did it, my elder brother did it and I can tell you that if you can stand the heat, there is nothing to it. You do all this, then sell your gari. Even if it takes you two months to clear that stock, do it. Then take the money and start to keep aside to acquire standard machinery for your processing plant. You can build a gari processing plant on a plot of land.

Start to do something in terms of processing. Make a plan and God will help you. You can always start small and keep pushing until you hammer. The experience too is worth it.

I have attached a document to show you the process.
http://www.4shared.com/office/WOowWIfBba/Gari_processing_Techniques-Wes.html

Thanks very much for this info, I had taught of garri b4 but was discouraged that garri is not that moving in the market again.
Sir, the link u gave is not opening rather it is directing to install APUS on my tab which rearranged my system the way I don't understand it.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 2:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
jethro2:

The contacts I have are not buying well. I will give you their numbers if you want. Who knows? They buy between N10,000 - N11,000 per tonne. You will bear the cost of transportation to the factory and they pay between 3 to 4 weeks after supply.
Please send me a mail at adesola_yinka@yahoo.com or send an sms to my phone to get the numbers if you will need it

Thanks very much madam, transporting it is another expenses and waiting for 3-4weeks is another thing. A buyer promise to come and process it in the farm and pay cash but the problem is their price, N 7000 -N8,000/tonne.
I thank I should look for a way of making it into garri like oga stagger just advised the problem is I don't have any idea about that but tomorrow Monday I have to go round to see if I can see something do about it
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 2:39pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

Thanks very much madam, transporting it is another expenses and waiting for 3-4weeks is another thing. A buyer promise to come and process it in the farm and pay cash but the problem is their price, N 7000 -N8,000/tonne.
I thank I should look for a way of making it into garri like oga stagger just advised the problem is I don't have any idea about that but tomorrow Monday I have to go round to see if I can see something do about it
Its okay. It is well.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by lanre2009: 2:45pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

Thanks very much for this info, I had taught of garri b4 but was discouraged that garri is not that moving in the market again.
Sir, the link u gave is not opening rather it is directing to install APUS on my tab which rearranged my system the way I don't understand it.

I just downloaded the file, it is a four (4) page document....just take your time to go through the website and you should not have any problems downloading the file....cheers
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 2:59pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

It is a shared file website. You know they have a lot of funny links. Just make sure you isolate that link and download it. Someone has downloaded it without issues. Why not you?

And when you say gari is not moving market, what exactly do you mean? Have you gone done your own market research? Don't go to only one market. Go to several of them. Frankly, selling your cassava at N8,000 per tonne is bad enough. Having to wait 4 weeks after for your money is simply unacceptable.

Also, you need to understand that cassava and gari markets have a dual rhythm of glut and scarcity. But you can navigate these periods if you are smart. I don't know about your area, but gari sells here in Northern Nigeria. That is because there are very few processors, and the population that eats it is the southern settlers of which I am one, and we are many.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
lanre2009:

I just downloaded the file, it is a four (4) page document....just take your time to go through the website and you should not have any problems downloading the file....cheers

Pls did it prompt u to download any anything from android market b4 u opened it?
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by stagger: 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

You should also know that cassava is heavy. Yet it is made up of mostly water. So why waste money transporting it? Construct a shed in that your farm (or clean up the one I saw in the picture) and do some gari stuff there. You see, we are trying to rescue a bad situation you found yourself in due to lack of research before starting. After now, make sure you have a defined product for a defined market and setup your farm and processing facilities close to your defined market. Ok?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by lanre2009: 3:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
noblefarm:

Pls did it prompt u to download any anything from android market b4 u opened it?

No, it didnt. Now to download the file, click DOWNLOAD, note NOT PRIORITY DOWNLOAD, click FREE DOWNLOAD, it should start counting down from 20 - 0 secs, after which it will automatically start the file download

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by echoedwalls: 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2015
@amarawa;where is your cassava farm? There is a mini -Garri processing unit in Agbara area that MAY be available for use.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2015
pls who know where I fit get local processing machine for garri around Ilorin
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by echoedwalls: 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2015
Don't know any for now.
How bout asking the local processors,one can never tell the help they MAY render.
They could either link you to one or grant you access to theirs.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Kalusam(m): 3:02am On Mar 09, 2015
In the south, the demand for fufu(whether odourless or not) is always increasing. Fufu sells far better than garri(in terms of price) and takes less stress and cost in producing!
amarawa:
Do we people here who practising garri processing or fufu (heard that odourless fufu is also viable)? they should pls shed more light on the cost implications, or if you people around you who are into such biz , you can help find out. I m sure this help will numerous farmers who are finding it hard to sell their tubers.

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by echoedwalls: 7:50am On Mar 09, 2015
Oh dear! Pardon me,my first message was meant for Noblefarm.
I know a CASSAVA PROCESSING FACTORY that MAY be available to you or any interested persons. It's in Agbara .
PS: There are workers in that area too who can get your job done there too if you. You desire.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 8:01am On Mar 09, 2015
echoedwalls:
Oh dear! Pardon me,my first message was meant for Noblefarm.
I know a CASSAVA PROCESSING FACTORY that MAY be available to you or any interested persons. It's in Agbara .
PS: There are workers in that area too who can get your job done there too if you. You desire.

thanks, I got ur msg about asking the locals for garri and also inquire about fufu too.
about processing factory in agbara, I think its too far from me, cos of transp will kill whatever gains I'll make there, I base in Ilorin. thanks once more

1 Like

Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by sheyi86: 7:20pm On Mar 09, 2015
Kalusam:
In the south, the demand for fufu(whether odourless or not) is always increasing. Fufu sells far better than garri(in terms of price) and takes less stress and cost in producing!
God bless u jare, even in d southwest fufu is in high demand, we realise much profit frm fufu processing out garri, cassava powder and starch dat we processed in our project work @ college of agriculture akure.thanks
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by echoedwalls: 8:03pm On Mar 09, 2015
@noblefarm: Oh dear! Ilorin is quite a distance .
Wish you the best in your quest.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 10:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
pls who know about the new vitamin A cassava, is it hybrid?
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by echoedwalls: 10:17pm On Mar 10, 2015
Well,I know you can get it at IITA in Ibadan
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by amarawa: 3:29am On Mar 11, 2015
Jethro, Hw far Wt ur cassava farm, any buyer yet? I also hv 5 hectares to sell around Keffi. I got an offer for 10k per ton.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by noblefarm: 9:54am On Mar 11, 2015
amarawa:
Jethro, Hw far Wt ur cassava farm, any buyer yet? I also hv 5 hectares to sell around Keffi. I got an offer for 10k per ton.

I also got offer for 10k per ton to supply to asaba but if u remove transport you'll have just 4k for the cassava per ton
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 11, 2015
chai. to make money no easy oooo.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 1:52pm On Mar 11, 2015
amarawa:
My Oga. No market yet oo. The offer is N5,000 per tonne in my locality. Companies in Agbara offers N11,000. Transportation cost takes the bulk. The labourers will not uproot now because the soil is hard since no rain.
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by jethro2: 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2015
mercylicious:
chai. to make money no easy oooo.
Madam. He whom must strike gold must sharpen his axe
Re: The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory by bozz007(m): 3:02pm On Mar 12, 2015
if your farm is around Ogun state or if you know you can get your produce to Thai farms in Ososa, Ogun state under 3 hours after harvest then I think Thai farms is a good bet.

They have a transparent way of purchasing cassava from farmers as they pay you based o the starch content. In other words, the higher the starch content, the higher your payment. Freshly harvested cassava has very high starch content depending on the variety, so the quicker you can get it them after harvest, the better for you as due to heat, cassava begins to lose some starch content after harvest.

The trick is to harvest a quantity that you know you can get to them between 2-4 hours after harvest and move to their farm and I think you get paid within a day.

Don't know their current mode of operation though, but as at the last time I made enquiries, that was it.

So I suggest you check their website and get their contact for more information www.tfinigeria.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics / When Does A Turkey Start Laying? / Adamix Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.