Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate (2626 Views)

Isiaka Adeleke's Death Sparks Riot In Osun / 'Nigeria Is A Country Of Savages & Animals' - Nnamdi Kanu Sparks In Court.Photos / See What Chris Ngige Did Today With Other Senators After Taking A Bow(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by monkautos(m): 7:34pm On Feb 16, 2015
The bow tie worn by the All Progressives’ Congress (APC) presidential
candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, in recent campaign photographs may have
raised worries over the retired general’s religious views, a diplomat has told
THISDAY.
Buhari had last week met with Catholic Bishops in Abuja. At the meeting,
the APC candidate allayed fears of an agenda to Islamise Nigeria, if elected
president, describing the allegations of extremism levelled against him as
baseless.
However, a diplomat from one of the Arab-speaking countries told THISDAY
that the decision of the APC candidate to wear a bow tie may be a
reflection of his strong Islamic beliefs.
Spokesman for the Buhari Campaign Organisation, Mallam Garba Shehu,
however, said there was nothing unusual with the bow tie. He was quick to
add that the photograph was taken long before he became Buhari’s media
manager and therefore could not comment on why a bow tie was chosen.
He promised to “cross check and get back.”
Elaborating on the photograph, the diplomat said, “I don’t know why (he)
Buhari chose a bow tie. But we know that radical Muslims don’t wear neck
ties out of the belief that it is Haram (sin).
“Such Muslims believe that the neck tie looks like a cross, which Christians
consider the most important spiritual symbol of their faith, reason they
don’t wear it.
“However, when it becomes absolutely necessary to wear a tie, such Muslims
simply go for bow ties,” said the envoy.
The diplomat who didn’t want his name in print, was quick to add that
millions of Muslims around the world, including himself, wear neck ties,
“not minding the religious theories surrounding its origin.”
He said, “We have great Muslim professionals like lawyers, bankers and
security operatives who wear neck ties.”
Buhari had in 2002 reportedly urged Muslims to vote for only Muslim
candidates. The report had portrayed the retired general as a
fundamentalist, an impression he has been fighting hard to change.
The APC candidate has been accused by rival Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
of harbouring a religious agenda. PDP has also accused APC of supporting the
terrorist organisation Boko Haram.
THISDAY gathered that one of the strategies adopted by Buhari’s handlers
to woo Christian voters, particularly in the South-east and South-south was
to capture him in a suit and tie.
The handlers also released another campaign photograph of the retired
general in traditional Igbo attire, apparently to appeal to the Igbo who have
a block vote in the five South-east states.
The campaign photographs had Buhari and his running mate Prof. Yemi
Osinbajo in suit.
In the photograph, Buhari was decked in black suit, a white shirt, a black
bow tie and a pair of designer glasses. Osinbajo, a professor of law, had a
black suit on, a white shirt, and a dotted red tie.
This is the first time Buhari, who ran for the presidency in 2003, 2007 and
2011, would brand himself in suit and tie.
In the three previous elections, the 72-year old retired general used baban
riga (flowing robes) and cap for his campaign posters.
However, according to the diplomat, Buhari’s preference for a bow tie to a
neck tie may have backfired.
He pointed to the United States where members of the islamic religious
movement, Nation of Islam (NOI), do not wear neck ties.
Such NOI members, he said, include former world boxing champion Muhammed
Ali, Malcolm X and NOI leader and world famous Islamic preacher, Loius
Farrakhan.
THISDAY checks revealed that some Christians prefer bow ties over neck ties
as a matter of style. For radical muslims, however, said the diplomat, “it is
a matter of faith versus fashion.”
The diplomat claimed that Buhari may have settled for a bow tie “to strike
a balance between achieving some degree of acceptance among Christians and
not offending the religious sensibilities of certain category of muslims.”
He said, “Look at the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN),
(Sanusi Lamido Sanusi), before his appointment as the Emir of Kano, he
(Sanusi) was a professional banker but never wore a neck tie.
“Due to Sanusi’s strict Islamic upbringing and education, he had to always
make do with bow ties,” claimed the diplomat.
He told THISDAY that Shitte muslims don’t wear neck ties for religious and
ideological reasons. Iran is home of Shitte muslims.
“After the 1979 Islamic revolution in Iran overthrew the monarchy, the
country’s new spiritual leader, Ayatollah Khomeni, banned neck and bow ties.
“Till date, most Iranians, including President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, wear
suits but leave the collars of their shirts open,” he declared.

source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-s-bow-tie-sparks-religious-debate/201944/
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by hazyfm1: 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by SeverusSnape(m): 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2015
Bow tie...
First of all, The bow tie doesn't fit him, he looks too sickly even with an Italian suit.

Secondly, we all know he wore that bow tie and suit to deceive some gullible fellows(which he succeeded in doing), They are laundering his image.
If you like, wear a pig the most expensive Giorgio Armani suit, It will still go to the gutters were it truly belongs.

Sai barcanista

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by bokohalal(m): 7:39pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thisday = Thisnight. Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Malaysia,Indonesia et al are no longer Muslims because of TIE.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by monkautos(m): 7:40pm On Feb 16, 2015
hmmmm...... we dey
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by modhream: 7:57pm On Feb 16, 2015
The most asinine smear campaign I've yet come across.Thisday went all the way for an "Arab diplomat" to analyse Buhari's bow tie?.
In one breath,radical Muslims think it resembles the cross and won't have anything to do with it.In another breath,it's what they choose to wear if push comes to shove and they have to wear one?.
Who do you people think will swallow this stite,pigs?.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
#BringBackBarcanista
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by kayslimshady(m): 9:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
I still don't understand why people think a coup leader should rule my beloveth country.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Nobody: 11:18pm On Feb 16, 2015
When I read this, I check who the author is and I was not disappointed, it was written by one Chucks Akunna. The sultan has earlier said that Islam is not a candidate in the presidential election.

For those who are interested in the islamic position of tie, this is it, int words of the Scholars of islam.

105412: Ruling on wearing trousers and a suit and tie

What is the ruling on wearing trousers if they are tight and stick to one’s body, or if they are baggy in order to imitate the westerners, what if a person wears a different style from what the westerners wear? What is the ruling on wearing suit and tie and other clothes usually used by the nonmuslims? Is it acceptable because it became of Muslims’ habits and that an average Muslim will not think that they are worn to resemble the nonmuslims? What should a Muslim wear nowadays?

. Praise be to Allaah. The basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, except those which Islam has definitely excluded, such as gold and silk for men, except in the case of scabies and the like. Wearing trousers is not something that is unique to the kuffaar, but wearing tight trousers which show the shape of the body, even the ‘awrah, is not permissible. Loose pants are permissible, unless the wearer intends to resemble those of the kuffaar who wear them. The same applies to wearing a suit and tie. These are not garments that are unique to the kuffaar, so they are permissible, unless the wearer intends to imitate them. To sum up, the basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, unless there is shar’i evidence to show that they are not allowed, as stated above. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas Shaykh ‘Abd al-Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq al-‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd- Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Revolution: 11:56pm On Feb 16, 2015
Nonsense. Honestly, journalism is dead in Nigeria. Being paid by politicians to write silly articles like this is not journalism. Below is a picture of Buhari in a tie.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Revolution: 12:01am On Feb 17, 2015
Here's another

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by vedaxcool(m): 12:24am On Feb 17, 2015
Thisday promoting anti-muslim extremism as their life long mission! Jonathan only offers division, blood and tears! Jo go go ro must be chased from the communion of decent individuals! What sort of militant is this?

dcaliph:
When I read this, I check who the author is and I was not disappointed, it was written by one Chucks Akunna. The sultan has earlier said that Islam is not a candidate in the presidential election.
For those who are interested in the islamic position of tie, this is it, int words of the Scholars of islam.
105412: Ruling on wearing trousers and a suit and tie
What is the ruling on wearing trousers if they are tight and stick to one’s body, or if they are baggy in order to imitate the westerners, what if a person wears a different style from what the westerners wear? What is the ruling on wearing suit and tie and other clothes usually used by the nonmuslims? Is it acceptable because it became of Muslims’ habits and that an average Muslim will not think that they are worn to resemble the nonmuslims? What should a Muslim wear nowadays?
. Praise be to Allaah. The basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, except those which Islam has definitely excluded, such as gold and silk for men, except in the case of scabies and the like. Wearing trousers is not something that is unique to the kuffaar, but wearing tight trousers which show the shape of the body, even the ‘awrah, is not permissible. Loose pants are permissible, unless the wearer intends to resemble those of the kuffaar who wear them. The same applies to wearing a suit and tie. These are not garments that are unique to the kuffaar, so they are permissible, unless the wearer intends to imitate them. To sum up, the basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, unless there is shar’i evidence to show that they are not allowed, as stated above. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.
Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas Shaykh ‘Abd al-Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq al-‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd- Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.
Thisday promoting anti-muslim extremism since their existence!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by pheliciti: 12:34am On Feb 17, 2015
Thisday has made it's once enviable newspaper a rag to smear Buhari. Never a day goes without a poorly researched story or article against Buhari. Tell me, what has wearing tie or bow tie got to do with Islam? You keep wondering if they pass their stories through editors.
They keep trying to drag Islam into the contest and wisely the Muslim clerics choose to stay out of it.
Thisday is always for any govt in power so it's not surprising where they stand now.
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by debo07(m): 1:01am On Feb 17, 2015
When will PDP stop all dis propagandas.they are making Buhari more popular.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by dammytosh: 1:06am On Feb 17, 2015
Jobless idiots.

The picture where a small boy stood in front of him and a flag was behind him. He was wearing a long blue tie.

Awon oponu ayirada
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by dammytosh: 1:07am On Feb 17, 2015
Revolution:
Nonsense. Honestly, journalism is dead in Nigeria. Being paid by politicians to write silly articles like this is not journalism. Below is a picture of Buhari in a tie.

Dnt mind the f00lish self acclaimed scholar
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Nobody: 1:09am On Feb 17, 2015
Jonathan till buhari recovers from stroke cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Masifa1: 1:11am On Feb 17, 2015
Oh great, now we're talking about what Buhari wears.
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by MEILYN(m): 1:29am On Feb 17, 2015
Buhari never said Muslims should vote for Muslims.... Thisday is a disgrace. How can a man that picked a Pastor as his running mate to get Christian votes say such a thing?
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Nimen(m): 2:25am On Feb 17, 2015
MEILYN:
Buhari never said Muslims should vote for Muslims.... Thisday is a disgrace. How can a man that picked a Pastor as his running mate to get Christian votes say such a thing?

so he couldn't say such a thing? Meaning that he is above error... Also he didn't say that shid about sharia law? Get behind me...
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by dayo23(f): 2:30am On Feb 17, 2015
Thisday newspaper just making massive billions from GEJ, proofs Jonathan has completely lost idea and accepted defeated. The use of religion won't work GEJ go and sleep joor. May 29th your time will be off!

As for me dayo.....it is

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by AustineE1: 3:37am On Feb 17, 2015
dayo23:
Thisday newspaper just making massive billions from GEJ, proofs Jonathan has completely lost idea and accepted defeated. The use of religion won't work GEJ go and sleep joor. May 29th your time will be off!

As for me dayo.....it is
just the way THE NATION newspaper,channels tv,sahara reporters etc are making massive billions from the self acclaimed poor Buhari,why is it that APC propagandists prefer attacking the messenger and nt the massage,you can never intimidate others into submission.....even if Buhari wears a priestly cassock,it still doesnt stop the fact that he is an islamic extremist.GEJ till Buhari presents his sch.cert!
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by menesheh(m): 4:08am On Feb 17, 2015
Desperation for power

I can do anything to appease u now to enter there and do my worst thereafter
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Change2015(m): 4:13am On Feb 17, 2015
The only place it stirs debate is in the little mind of the writer on a second-rate newspaper desperately trying to fill it's pages! A bigger pile of hogwash, I can't imagine.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by Change2015(m): 4:20am On Feb 17, 2015
AustineE1:
just the way THE NATION newspaper,channels tv,sahara reporters etc are making massive billions from the self acclaimed poor Buhari,why is it that APC propagandists prefer attacking the messenger and nt the massage,you can never intimidate others into submission.....even if Buhari wears a priestly cassock,it still doesnt stop the fact that he is an islamic extremist.GEJ till Buhari presents his sch.cert!

Lol, so you see a message in the bow tie or tie 'debate'? If you knew better, you would appreciate that the press in this country lives on the edge of insolvency generally, so your tale of massive billions is rubbish. You think they sell all those TV hours to churches and organisations because they want to or they need the income to survive? Perhaps typical of a pdp supporter to make a judgement without thought or facts, like Jonathan with the Ekiti rigging tape.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by MayorofLagos(m): 4:43am On Feb 17, 2015
'The Cross'.....
which Christians
consider the most important spiritual symbol of their faith,

Dude, i ought to borrow Chidi Lloyd's mace and take whip you till you go in a coma. What a waste to Christianity, dunce calling Cross the most important spiritual symbol of Christian faith.

What a blasphemy! Dude if i run into you in the street remind me to choke you.

Bloody harl0t! angry
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by nouroumohamed64: 5:40am On Feb 17, 2015
bokohalal:
Thisday = Thisnight. Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Malaysia,Indonesia et al are no longer Muslims because of TIE.
U know how to read but u dont understand anything! Thisday used iran only as a refrence point!!
Re: Buhari's Bow Tie Sparks Religious Debate by san316(m): 5:53am On Feb 17, 2015
Are they still on this religious card? by the way, is it now a crime for GMB to be a Muslim? I it now a crime to have a personal belief? why are they not talking about GEJ that makes public statements in churches?

Fuckkk Thisday Mehhhn.

Fuckkk PDP Meeehn

(1) (Reply)

(photo): How A Baby React When An APC Person Want To Carry Him / Jonathan Sacks Sure-p Chairman For Preaching ‘change’ / Who Will Swear In Nyesom Wike As Governor Come May 29

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.