Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. (8896 Views)

Buhari PR Article On Financial Times Paid For By Delta And Cross River State Gov / Which Governor-Elects Are Likely To Be Removed By Tribunals? / Buhari Planning The Imeachment Of His VP From Day One. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by udezue(m): 4:29am On Jan 06, 2009
Ohanaeze: The task before Uwechue
By Emmanuel Obe
Published: Monday, 29 Dec 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008 marked another milestone in the history of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the apex social cultural organisation of the Igbo speaking people in the South-East geopolitical zone of Nigeria and two South-South states and Rivers.

Skip to next paragraph

Agency reporter
Uwechwe

The venue was the Women Development Centre, Awka where the leaders and members of Ohanaeze gathered to conduct election into the soon-to-be vacant national offices of the body.

At the end of the day, eminent diplomat and former ECOWAS representative to Cote d’Ivoire on Peace, Ambassador Ralph Uwechue, was returned as the President General of the organisation.

Uwechue, who has had a successful career in diplomacy and the academia, was before his ECOWAS job, former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s Ambassador for Peace in Africa.

His return was facilitated by a shadow election that was conducted a week earlier at the palace of the Asagba of Asaba, Prof. Chike Edozien where he was unanimously nominated as the candidate of the Anioma (Igbos) in Delta State for the presidency of Ohanaeze.

By the provision of the constitution of Ohanaeze, which provides for the rotation of the presidency, it was the turn of the Igbo in Delta State to produce the next president general.

Though flowing from the crisis that gave birth to the outgoing leadership of Ohaneze, the atmosphere did not seem quite smooth as it ought to be. The presence of one governor and representatives of three other governors showed that Ohanaeze was united again. The only governor absent was that of the host state, Anambra, Mr. Peter Obi, who the master of ceremony reassured the audience would soon join the party. But he never did.

The Abia State Governor, Chief Theodore Orji, who was present, cleared every doubt that the governors were not united behind Ohanaeze. He said they were all working together for the interest of the Igbo race. Two former governors of Igbo states, Ogbonnaya Onu of old Abia and Ndubuisi Kanu of old Imo were present.

At the adoption of Uwechue in Asaba a week before the election, the former secretary general, of Ohanaeze, Col. Joe Achuzia (rtd), was present, thereby removing every vestige of doubt that the body was united. In fact, no court order was issued to stop the election.

Uwechue’s election was smooth. Not so for the election into the next most important position of the organisation. Because of the irreconcilable differences between the national leadership of Ohanaeze and the Enugu State government, a consensus could not be reached on who should be presented for the post.

Apart from the delay in the commercement of the programme, everything at the venue of the election had appeared to be going on smoothly until the outgoing President General, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, announced that there was a deadlock in picking the consensus candidates for offices zoned to Enugu and Rivers States.

Soon afterwards, the delegation and contestants for the posts of vice president and other positions zoned to Rivers State came forward to present their candidates, who were subsequently unanimously adopted by the gathering.

But the Enugu deadlock could not be broken as the backers of the two main contestants for the position of secretary general did not want to yield grounds.

At this point, Ikedife announced that the election into the office of the secretary had been suspended pending the resolution of the deadlock. He however quickly pointed out that the Imeobi (Elders Council) of Ohanaeze had met and taken a decision on the position of secretary.

Though Ikedife did not mention the position Imeobi took on the position of the Secretary, it was all over the place that it wanted elder statesman, Chief Nduka Eya, to occupy the post.

That position stood against the request by the Governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sullivan Chime, to allow Mr. Rich Ozobu, the younger brother of a former Ohanaeze President, Justice Eze Ozobu, to hold the position.

Ordinarily, when an effort at reaching a consensus to pick a candidate fails, the house would go into election proper where the delegates would vote for their preferred choice.

But the Ohanaeze leadership would not go that far. Ikedife said that election could disturb the peace of the organisation. Therefore, further consultations would be entered into to reach a truce.

But the reality was that Ohanaeze’s candidate would have lost the election because the Enugu State branch of the organisation was under the firm control of the state government.

And the convention of Ohanaeze is that it is the delegates from the states to which certain positions are zoned that elect the candidates from their state.

Ohanaeze’s grouse with Chime stemmed from the failure of the state government to give any support to the group when it hosted the last Igbo Day celebration in Enugu.

So, though it was conventional for the body to accede to requests and wishes of the governors of the Igbo states, this time around, the national leadership of the organisation is seeing the opportunity as a payback time for what the Enugu Government failed to do for it.

And who is to pay for it? Ozobu, who has had a history of service to Ohanaeze? Though Chime was not there at the election venue, his representative made a spirited appeal that his principal’s position on the matter be accepted.

The situation leaves an arduous task for Uwechue, who might have to start work next month without a substantive secretary.

First, he must have to achieve a rapprochement with Chime and the Enugu government, which must be carried along, if the new Ohanaeze must start on a strong footing of unity and peace.

Coming from Delta State, the new President General must first shake off the minority toga identified with Delta Igbos. As he himself said in his acceptance speech, there was no way the Igbo west of the Niger should not be accepted to lead the Igbo race if the Ijaw could adopt Chief Edwin Clark from Delta State in which they are minority as their national leader.

He recalled the price the Igbos of Delta State had to pay during the Nigerian civil when thousands of its vibrant young men were gathered together at village squares and shot dead by invading federal troops for being Igbos.

The Aniomas are also not known to be fearful. Nigeria’s political history would be gaping wide if mention is not made of radical elements from the area that led the first violent change of government in Nigeria. And mention must be made of the late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, who after leading the coup of January 1966, died fighting during the civil war.

But he appealed that the rest of the Igbos East of the Niger must provide support in the struggle ahead. He anchored his speech on the need for the Igbo to speak with one voice and join in the regeneration of the Igbo race, which he said had become imperative.

Lacking in central traditional and political leadership, the Ohanaeze comes in to serve as the rallying point for the more than 40 million Igbos spread across the world. What emanates from the leadership of the body could therefore have a great impact on the fate and resolve of the Igbo and indeed Nigeria.

In the past, Ohanaeze had come very close to charting a solid political course for the Igbo. But petty and narrow political interests of its leadership had squandered the legitimacy and strength of the organisation.

Not too long ago, the organisation was split down the line after its leadership voted to support the unconstitutional tenure elongation proposed by Obasanjo.

That slip by the leadership of Prof. Joe Irukwu ruined the effectiveness of Ohanaeze. It was good news that that factions within the body had fizzled out before last month’s election. But Uwechue must watch out for the proverbial banana peel.

Being an accomplished diplomat, observers expect that he would use his skills and experience to unite the interest of the Igbo leaders, who had in the past never appeared to find a common ground to pursue the interests of the Igbo people in the Nigerian polity.

Would the Igbo still pursue the dream of Igbo presidency? What about the cry of marginalisation? How far can the Igbo find markets for their countless traders and businessmen? Male dropout in schools; is the end in sight? Can Uwechue do anything about the rampaging gully erosions across Igboland? These and many more posers are waiting for the diplomat to find answers to as he steps in for the next two years to drive the boat of one of Nigeria’s largest and most vibrant ethnic nationality.

Guys what do y'all think about this and how do you think the new leaders will perform?

I am happy about this development.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by IGWEUSA(m): 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2009
Let them go to work immediately.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by oderemo(m): 8:11pm On Jan 07, 2009
when the igbos present someone of credible substance unlike the likes of kalu uzor kalu i think people will take them seriously.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by BecomeRich: 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2009
Here are the pictures of the Igbo area in delta state, apart from asaba which I once posted before and Ogwashi which is small than Ibusa. And may I miss 1 or 2 small villages . The igbo in delta state are not as populated like the Uhrobo and Itsekiri.

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
Thank you Ohaneze

Its time to tell the Igbos in South-South, YOU matter to us too. You have always been and will always be.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by udezue(m): 12:36am On Jan 10, 2009
BecomePoor,

lol @ ur satellite pix abeg stop disturbing urself coz that will not change anything. Whether Ibusa is as small as ur grandpa's hut will not change the fact that the great Igbos and Delta are waking up. U can't keep em down forever sooooo comot road jare. If u are looking for argument over those pics then I'm sorrt to say but no one gives a rat's ass.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:48am On Jan 10, 2009
this is priceless, every part of the Igbo race should be made to have a sense of belonging, there is power in unity, at last is happening, kudos, the entire Igbo race are moving on.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by princekevo(m): 12:37pm On Jan 10, 2009
ode remo:

when the igbos present someone of credible substance unlike the likes of kalu uzor kalu i think people will take them seriously.

Wht exactly do u mean by ur statement? And Wht is ur definition of credibility?
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by udezue(m): 1:11am On Jan 11, 2009
I hope that Ode will answer that?
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by BecomeRich: 2:04am On Jan 11, 2009
All this area were under benin land when the britain came.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by naijaking1: 2:05am On Jan 11, 2009
This is good.

I have always wondered why a guy with a name like Nduka Obiozor from Bendel state, or a guy named Chibuike Amechi from River state would have any problem saying he's an Igbo?

The civil war ended over 40 years ago, so no fear!

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by naijaking1: 2:08am On Jan 11, 2009
BecomeRich:

All this area were under benin land when the britain came.

The river provided a 'natural boundary' for the British administrative needs. Did anyone consider the cultural need of these Igbos? No.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by BecomeRich: 3:05pm On Jan 11, 2009
The river did not create nothing, If you live in britian confirm. check the museun. This land was all within the benin empire,   Have you see their king dress before. They dress like Benin kings.? why.? Also check most of their names, most time does not sound Igbo. Please tell me the meaning of this name in Igbo   Obaigbena  and Utomi
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by romeo(m): 3:26pm On Jan 11, 2009
BecomeRich:

The river did not create nothing, If you live in britian confirm. check the museun. This land was all within the benin empire,   Have you see their king dress before. They dress like Benin kings.? why.? Also check most of their names, most time does not sound Igbo. Please tell me the meaning of this name in Igbo   Obaigbena  and Utomi

Like if James, Anthony, Philip are all Nigerian names, But we have them in abundance. A Nigerian names Collins knows he's not English. Just the leave name thing.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 11, 2009
this is good news.
i just hope they are respected.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by naijaking1: 8:39pm On Jan 11, 2009
BecomeRich:

The river did not create nothing, If you live in britian confirm. check the museun. This land was all within the benin empire,   Have you see their king dress before. They dress like Benin kings.? why.? Also check most of their names, most time does not sound Igbo. Please tell me the meaning of this name in Igbo   Obaigbena  and Utomi

Sociologically, a population tends to be isolated from their kin by such natural boundaries like mountain, desert, and rivers. No one is doubting that the Igbos in Bendel are not more proximal to the Benins than say the Igbos in Owerri/Arochukwu. So why is it a surprise that their ceremonial attire tended to resemble those of the Benins.
Why some of their names don't sound Igbo? The same isolation aslo tends to modify languages, giving rise to dialects. For your information, there're Igbo names in Abakiliki/Ngwa/Afikpo that don't sound Igbo at all. If you ask Nduka Obaigbena for example, you'll notice that name is some form of Igbo last name.
This problem of Igbos in diaspora is easily understood from an academic and not a political point of view.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by BecomeRich: 8:54pm On Jan 11, 2009
And I am not too sure of thier motive too. Is it to prevent people from delta or rivers from running for the presidency.? I know that can use it as an excuse.

You never answer my question. Was the land part of Benin? yes or No,  And that is not the reason why they dress like Benin, it as to do with history and mix blood. You see you may not know your history well. But when Ohaneze dump Pat Utomi, they were acting on history. Go and find how why.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by naijaking1: 11:11pm On Jan 11, 2009
If you remember, the urge for people to dissociate themselves from the Igbos didn't intensify until after they lost the civil war. To make things worse, the federal policy was to divide, divide, and divide the Igbos as much as possible in order to weaken them as a people.

So, any part of Igboland with oil was 'carved' out. The oil will come and go, but Igbo people shall always remain. Whether an Igboman is Okorie, Okoli, Okoye, Nwokorie, Okolie, Okorienta, Okoronta, or even Okiro(if you're from Oguta/Egbema), it all means a man born on a certain day of the Igbo week.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by udezue(m): 11:33pm On Jan 11, 2009
Becomerich,

u are an ignorant fool. lmao. Southern Igbos close to CrossRivers like Abiriba, Arochukwu, areas got a lot more in common with Ibibios than the Awka poeple of Anambra people and Igbos in Delta. Northern Igbos which includes Awka, Onitsha, and Enugu areas got a lot in common with Igalas, Idomas. Arochukwu poeple do Ekpe just like Efik/Ibibos. Awka / Enugu Igbos do Egwu Igede just like Idomas and Benue Igbos so what are u blabbing about? I know Igbo haters like you don't like to see Igbos united so ofcourse you'll try to spew any rubbish. Abeg quit arguing just for the sake of arguing.

I am Aro and Awka so are u gonna tell me that I am no longer Igbo because of the fact that I share so much in common with Idomas and Ibibios? My mom's last name is Ibibio not Igbo but then all their 1st names are Igbo and the ones who got English names will still tell you they are Igbo. I don't deny my Ibibio roots either.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by Bialegend(m): 11:46pm On Jan 11, 2009
udezue:

Becomerich,

u are an ignorant fool. lmao. Southern Igbos close to CrossRivers like Abiriba, Arochukwu, areas got a lot more in common with Ibibios than the Awka poeple of Anambra people and Igbos in Delta. Northern Igbos which includes Awka, Onitsha, and Enugu areas got a lot in common with Igalas, Idomas. Arochukwu poeple do Ekpe just like Efik/Ibibos. Awka / Enugu Igbos do Egwu Igede just like Idomas and Benue Igbos so what are u blabbing about? I know Igbo haters like you don't like to see Igbos united so ofcourse you'll try to spew any rubbish. Abeg quit arguing just for the sake of arguing.

I am Aro and Awka so are u going to tell me that I am no longer Igbo because of the fact that I share so much in common with Idomas and Ibibios? My mom's last name is Ibibio not Igbo but then all their 1st names are Igbo and the ones who got English names will still tell you they are Igbo. I don't deny my Ibibio roots either.
Boy, you have time for nigerians. Did they start today to implore divide and conquare Igbo tactics? They started immediately after the civil war and their lazy offsprings are trying in vain to carry on with the ill advised work of their fathers. Dem say, "what a snake born must be have to be long"
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by tpia: 11:47pm On Jan 11, 2009
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by LAFOCUZY: 8:01pm On Oct 14, 2009
I look forword to a day when igbos will be truely united. This step obviously is a process. The IGBO represents hardwork, determination, independence and sheer dexterity to survive. No wonder they are where they are after a brutal civil war, full of conspiracy and betrayal from other groups. The "IGBO" have again risen to greatness from sheer, "NOTHING"

After the war everything they had were lost. Their propertise, houses etc in Port Harcout, Lagos and the northern cities were lost. Some were released to a few who were tough and maybe had political affiliations but a greater number were lost. The tales of pain still linger in the hearts of many.

Divide a people, isolate their values and cultures, constantly drum into them by brutal or persuasive aggression their difference and you will have a weak psychological disoriented people. This is what the "NIGERIA" seek to make us. We have survived this as individual, now its time to overcome this as a group, a strong nation. For we can naver be truely americans, not britons or Germans no matter how long we live in these nations or what colour our passports are, but we will always be truly "IGBO" we and our children,
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by RichyBlacK(m): 8:50pm On Oct 14, 2009
LAFOCUZY:

I look forword to a day when igbos will be truely united. This step obviously is a process. The IGBO represents hardwork, determination, independence and sheer dexterity to survive. No wonder they are where they are after a brutal civil war, full of conspiracy and betrayal from other groups. The "IGBO" have again risen to greatness from sheer, "NOTHING"

After the war everything they had were lost. Their propertise, houses etc in Port Harcout, Lagos and the northern cities were lost. Some were released to a few who were tough and maybe had political affiliations but a greater number were lost. The tales of pain still linger in the hearts of many.

Divide a people, isolate their values and cultures, constantly drum into them by brutal or persuasive aggression their difference and you will have a weak psychological disoriented people. This is what the "NIGERIA" seek to make us. We have survived this as individual, now its time to overcome this as a group, a strong nation. For we can naver be truely americans, not britons or Germans no matter how long we live in these nations or what colour our passports are, but we will always be truly "IGBO" we and our children,

True points. Thanks.

Let me just add that our fellow Igbo brothers and sisters in Delta, Edo, Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross-Rivers and Akwa-Ibom States should recognize that being Igbo goes beyond the artificial borders created by men. Knowing your ethnic heritage is always a good thing.

Kudos to Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo for this move!
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by ikeyman00(m): 9:31pm On Oct 14, 2009
@@@@@

becomrich; take it easy

look at his desperation to kill the truth he hate to see

however i must emm for the first time tpia is being straight in nl

why is there an argument here? Becomerich- your pretence doesnt fool me. I'm sure you have intimate personal knowledge of the midwest and southeast. I have plenty of people like you. Besides, there are people from Anambra side who also have Edo sounding names. And vice versa.

be comeric is num one hater; and he knows; thats all i can say
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by Nigerd(m): 9:26am On Oct 15, 2009
@ Post,

May be u Igbos will soon make an Igbanke man the president
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
@topic

And what about that?
What is Ohanaeze by the way?
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by LAFOCUZY: 1:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
What I don't understand is the attacks, the passion and sometimes the viciousness with which some people attend to anything that patterns to the progression of the the "IBO", however little or harmless the statement. I simply don't get the reason for the hatred and sometimes the dis-associating attitude of people who should be truly 'igbo" from states outside the 5 states.

Americans may covet someone of great achievement and say, " he or she is an American of an African decent", but dose that really make him American. Paint a people black, tell them they are black, create an environment where everything around them suggests to them they are black, relate to them on the basis of their blackness and they will gradually through time and when the people who can tell the true story and differentiate the truth from propaganda are died, believe they are truly black. This is the case of some IBO in other states who refuse to acknowledge they are "IBO". No war defeats than this. The fierest victory of war is nothing compared to this attack on the mind. . The strength of war cringes in the presence of this devastating strategy

While I lived in port Harcourt, I met a young boy who spoke more igbo that I can only imagine, with the right diction. He told me about his culture, the values and idealogy of his people. His name was Eze. But when my friend said you are igbo, he quickly without waiting for my friend to finish his statement, interrupted and said, AM NOT IBO, AM ETCHE,

With this psychological distortion of the origin of this people. They may simply become, the lost tribe of igbo. It is now the responsibility of all IGBO to project ourselves in ways that brings us together.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by LAFOCUZY: 2:03pm On Oct 15, 2009
I love being IGBO. Am proud of my origin. Irrespective of location, greed or affiliation there are no better igbo. Igbo is igbo no matter where they live or work.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by walata44(m): 5:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
I just hate u lots , TRIBALIST on both sides.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by udezue(m): 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2009
Walata,
Go and cure yourself ur mental problems 1st. Ode
Who is craving for your love?

Nuzo,
uhm I'm sure u are old enough to find that out on your own?

Niger d,
Igbanke can be whatever he wants to be in Ohanaeze, Aka Ikenga, WIC, or any prominent Igbo organization. Nothing is stopping him or her. It shouldn't even be a big deal.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by AndreUweh(m): 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2009
Niger_d:

@ Post,

May be u Igbos will soon make an Igbanke man the president
Yes, we Igbo can make s/he a President-general. But must have Igbo feeling, equal to the task and has to wait for 14 years turn. Igbankes may be  in Edo state politically and geographically, yet they are not Edos but IkaIgbo. Take it or leave it.
Re: Ohanaeze Elects President From Delta And VP From Rivers. by AndreUweh(m): 6:58pm On Oct 15, 2009
Nuzo
Oha na eze ndi igbo (ohan'eze) is the apex Igbo sociocultural organisation. It is the Igbo version of Arewa or Afenifere. It consists the five south east states, Upland Rivers state and Anioma. It has been existence since 1937 and some of the founding fathers were the founders of Anioma.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni / 2019 Press Freedom: Nigeria Ranked 120 Out Of 180 Countries / Buhari Not At G7 Meeting - Real Pictures/video From The Event Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.