Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,556 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:56 PM

Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers (1461 Views)

Hottest 10 Hausa Rappers 2016 / LOCAL RAPPERS vs LOCAL RAPPERS : An Article By Amechi 'Double Six' Okoli / hh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by funmo(m): 5:58pm On Feb 18, 2015
LOCAL LOCAL RAPPERS VERSUS LOCAL INTERNATIONAL RAPPERS

N.B/DISCLAIMER: I am unwell with the pen!!! Thanks

The debate of how rap should be done in Nigeria will only end the moment the trumpet sounds. Hallelujah!!! But before that time comes, I can also join in the cross-fire. If I "die" whilst at it, may my soul "rip". (free multisyllables right there). When the local rapper track dropped, I felt it was a cool song. I'm saying in terms of; production-shout out to tyrone; lyrical content; melody and concept. We have different ways of interpreting everything, so I get it when my opinion seems illogically different from others. I've heard reminisce from the "one-chance" and "bachelor" tracks' days. When he was hundred percent English (international). When he turned Alaga Ibile too (local), I was by my phone listening to him drop them bars. So, I relate to the local rappers track hundred percent.
I heard of how Ola used to spit in the Lingua Franca back in the days, and how the lords of Ajasas, 2phats, Id cabasas et al made him see why it might/won't work for him. Yeah! They were right, who wants to listen to Olamide rap in English?!!! I don't know much about Phyno, as I am yet to learn the Ibo language, but no doubt he was on concept on the "infamous" track. Believe me, in my opinion, I feel these guys are right. Punchline o jawo mo (hardcore doesn't sell, or big bros mode9!!! does it?). Isn't that stale news? What's the fuss about? Even mode9 went on a commercial break. Terry is now comfortably doing commercial tracks (maybe not comfortably). Truth is the Nigerian music scene is paying more attention to these indigenous rappers more. Before you curse my dad and mum out, just so you know, I listen to a lot of Nigerian hardcore raps. (do I have to do this?) I've 80% mode9's body of works, both free and bought. Rapman, Godwon, O.D, Pherro, who else does much of hardcore? I've them all, I bump them. But truth is, they aren't 100% relateable with to the average Nigerian rap fan.

I'm not of the opinion that rap has a blueprint. Abeg!!! we don't speak English all the time. When I saw the AQ stuff, I could only smile. I've known A.Q since like 2005. A decade. I had his mixtape uncle Jatt hosted, and I recently downloaded son of John. Q is all punchlines. Dope as they come. So, him replying wasn't a surprise. It's him. He is never a coward and will go any length to defend what he represents (make una help me clap for am now...) . His international rappers track wasn't a diss, I see it as someone holding his ground. No qualms. Only that we fans of rap, rap heads and rappers all differ on what the rap culture is in Nigeria. Some say you shouldn't rap in vernacular, others say rapping in phonetics isn't the way to go about it. TO ME, RAP IS RAP. It could be dope to you, and it sounds wack to me, but it is still rap. Nobody should question if I am a fan of punchline or not. I think rap is more than punchlining. I've heard people say you must do punchlines to be regarded as dope. Hold up, let me call nasty Nas ( I swear you don't know what I mean(t) here). Run dmc, scarface et al never punchlined. Na because some of us no sabi literature self. Puns, metaphors, similes and other elements don't make up a whole great literary work. The best rap songs aren't necessarily the ones laced with punchlines all over the place. I mean, what is the point of the punchline if the music is actually missing.

See, chill, I love punchlines. I really do. But when songs lack depth (of whatever concept they are based on), punchlines won't amount to shi!!! The debate of if we have a rap culture in Nigeria is always kinda unclear. What is a culture if it is never made understandable to the people it is meant to be shared with? At least some few folks have been able to make money from hardcore and softcore rap, don't be in the middle. Do hardcore and let us feel the music in this genre you so much exalt. Or just dumb it down for us and let's bump our heads and yanshes to rap music. Either way, make a point every time you spit a bar, and let people relate. And by people, I mean everybody that loves music. If you do good music, irrespective of the genre, you will be rewarded. Rap music will just always be controversial, at times for no reason except the "hip-hop" reason. But for all its worth, rap music has come to stay in Nigeria. It is up to you to define what you think rap music then is.

@adefunmiloye is a writer, essayist, comedian, m.c and rapper(with no single single).
He writes from the comfort of his water-bed in far away Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

1 Like

Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by SMALLPENIS(f): 6:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
grin I feel you grin

1 Like

Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by funmo(m): 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Undilutedfact: 12:26pm On Feb 19, 2015
Get your mind Blown away, listen to the track #Gangariya via this link:
http://alonetone.com/thrilllz/tracks
or
http://alonetone.com/thrilllz/tracks/thrillz-gangariya-medium-1.mp3
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Daskeepol(m): 10:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
Love this article,guy u rely tried...RAP IS RAP

1 Like

Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Akin1212(m): 11:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
funmo:
LOCAL LOCAL RAPPERS VERSUS LOCAL INTERNATIONAL RAPPERS

N.B/DISCLAIMER: I am unwell with the pen!!! Thanks

The debate of how rap should be done in Nigeria will only end the moment the trumpet sounds. Hallelujah!!! But before that time comes, I can also join in the cross-fire. If I "die" whilst at it, may my soul "rip". (free multisyllables right there). When the local rapper track dropped, I felt it was a cool song. I'm saying in terms of; production-shout out to tyrone; lyrical content; melody and concept. We have different ways of interpreting everything, so I get it when my opinion seems illogically different from others. I've heard reminisce from the "one-chance" and "bachelor" tracks' days. When he was hundred percent English (international). When he turned Alaga Ibile too (local), I was by my phone listening to him drop them bars. So, I relate to the local rappers track hundred percent.
I heard of how Ola used to spit in the Lingua Franca back in the days, and how the lords of Ajasas, 2phats, Id cabasas et al made him see why it might/won't work for him. Yeah! They were right, who wants to listen to Olamide rap in English?!!! I don't know much about Phyno, as I am yet to learn the Ibo language, but no doubt he was on concept on the "infamous" track. Believe me, in my opinion, I feel these guys are right. Punchline o jawo mo (hardcore doesn't sell, or big bros mode9!!! does it?). Isn't that stale news? What's the fuss about? Even mode9 went on a commercial break. Terry is now comfortably doing commercial tracks (maybe not comfortably). Truth is the Nigerian music scene is paying more attention to these indigenous rappers more. Before you curse my dad and mum out, just so you know, I listen to a lot of Nigerian hardcore raps. (do I have to do this?) I've 80% mode9's body of works, both free and bought. Rapman, Godwon, O.D, Pherro, who else does much of hardcore? I've them all, I bump them. But truth is, they aren't 100% relateable with to the average Nigerian rap fan.

I'm not of the opinion that rap has a blueprint. Abeg!!! we don't speak English all the time. When I saw the AQ stuff, I could only smile. I've known A.Q since like 2005. A decade. I had his mixtape uncle Jatt hosted, and I recently downloaded son of John. Q is all punchlines. Dope as they come. So, him replying wasn't a surprise. It's him. He is never a coward and will go any length to defend what he represents (make una help me clap for am now...) . His international rappers track wasn't a diss, I see it as someone holding his ground. No qualms. Only that we fans of rap, rap heads and rappers all differ on what the rap culture is in Nigeria. Some say you shouldn't rap in vernacular, others say rapping in phonetics isn't the way to go about it. TO ME, RAP IS RAP. It could be dope to you, and it sounds wack to me, but it is still rap. Nobody should question if I am a fan of punchline or not. I think rap is more than punchlining. I've heard people say you must do punchlines to be regarded as dope. Hold up, let me call nasty Nas ( I swear you don't know what I mean(t) here). Run dmc, scarface et al never punchlined. Na because some of us no sabi literature self. Puns, metaphors, similes and other elements don't make up a whole great literary work. The best rap songs aren't necessarily the ones laced with punchlines all over the place. I mean, what is the point of the punchline if the music is actually missing.

See, chill, I love punchlines. I really do. But when songs lack depth (of whatever concept they are based on), punchlines won't amount to shi!!! The debate of if we have a rap culture in Nigeria is always kinda unclear. What is a culture if it is never made understandable to the people it is meant to be shared with? At least some few folks have been able to make money from hardcore and softcore rap, don't be in the middle. Do hardcore and let us feel the music in this genre you so much exalt. Or just dumb it down for us and let's bump our heads and yanshes to rap music. Either way, make a point every time you spit a bar, and let people relate. And by people, I mean everybody that loves music. If you do good music, irrespective of the genre, you will be rewarded. Rap music will just always be controversial, at times for no reason except the "hip-hop" reason. But for all its worth, rap music has come to stay in Nigeria. It is up to you to define what you think rap music then is.

@adefunmiloye is a writer, essayist, comedian, m.c and rapper(with no single single).
He writes from the comfort of his water-bed in far away Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

RAP IS NOT RAP BRO, CONSIDERING THE ORIGIN OF RAP, BUT THEN SINCE MONEY MAKING AND CHOICE OF NIGERIANS HAS BEEN CALLED INTO QUESTION, I BELIEVE MUSIC, HOPE U UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN, MUSIC MUST BE MADE.......... I CAN STILL RAP IN ENGLISH AND APPEAL TO THE NIGERIA RAP FANS, IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH U DO MUSIC, RUGGEDMAN DID IT...... WATCH OUT FOR THUGNIFICENT

1 Like

Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by funmo(m): 12:47am On Feb 21, 2015
Akin1212:

RAP IS NOT RAP BRO, CONSIDERING THE ORIGIN OF RAP, BUT THEN SINCE MONEY MAKING AND CHOICE OF NIGERIANS HAS BEEN CALLED INTO QUESTION, I BELIEVE MUSIC, HOPE U UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN, MUSIC MUST BE MADE.......... I CAN STILL RAP IN ENGLISH AND APPEAL TO THE NIGERIA RAP FANS, IT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH U DO MUSIC, RUGGEDMAN DID IT...... WATCH OUT FOR THUGNIFICENT

Mr Thugnificent!

RAP IS RAP

isn't rap 's soul purpose to pass a message across (whatever type of message) on a beat with a steady flow and rhythmical rhymes?

RHYTHMICALLY APPLIED POETRY

if we should consider the origin of rap, we won't actually have rap again! rap was a music of the oppressed against an oppressing government.

and rap evolved from spoken words and literature. you can always do what you like with it

But in our society, people frown against thinking out of the box

WHAT IS DOP.E IN HIP-HOP?

there is no standard definition for an art sir

all they made us realize in d song is that; the streets can't relate with punchlines much when they can enjoy a feel of something more street-appealing

If you say ruggedman is a focal point, how come mode nine had issues with him? and viceversa? at least rugged spits in English...

MAKE RAP MUSIC, DON'T JUST MAKE RAP

btw you shouldn't have quoted all I wrote

and ur stage name WON'T appeal to many (you a fan of boondocks?). nobody will want to give a thug (names get abbreviated you know) a listening ear I.M.O

AND RAP IS RAP SIR
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Akin1212(m): 2:23am On Feb 21, 2015
funmo:

Mr Thugnificent!

RAP IS RAP

isn't rap 's soul purpose to pass a message across (whatever type of message) on a beat with a steady flow and rhythmical rhymes?

RHYTHMICALLY APPLIED POETRY

if we should consider the origin of rap, we won't actually have rap again! rap was a music of the oppressed against an oppressing government.

and rap evolved from spoken words and literature. you can always do what you like with it

But in our society, people frown against thinking out of the box

WHAT IS DOP.E IN HIP-HOP?

there is no standard definition for an art sir

all they made us realize in d song is that; the streets can't relate with punchlines much when they can enjoy a feel of something more street-appealing

If you say ruggedman is a focal point, how come mode nine had issues with him? and viceversa? at least rugged spits in English...

MAKE RAP MUSIC, DON'T JUST MAKE RAP

btw you shouldn't have quoted all I wrote

and ur stage name WON'T appeal to many (you a fan of boondocks?). nobody will want to give a thug (names get abbreviated you know) a listening ear I.M.O

AND RAP IS RAP SIR
I replied, later I couldn't find it but here is a screenshot of my reply

Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by funmo(m): 5:45am On Feb 21, 2015
well

the rap name issue is just my own opinion - I am not always wrong

You referred to rugged man as per his language of rap

I refer to his mode nine beef as per his concepts of raps

rugged was selling out, mode wasn't cashin out

I think the banging track is like the local rappers one

while AQ's reply is like talking to you

(hope you know those four and my basis for comparison)

Well, about the rap is (not) rap ish, hip-hop heads will never ever get to reach a conclusion on which is which

we have touched the argument with issues like the lyrical content, individual appeal, commercial appeal etc. I just don't get the "a more advanced rap" line. you talking of d.ope and wack there I think. but I'm just saying rappers punchlining and not being recognized as evident in their appeal, financial status through music returns and impact of music, is at the end of the day wack. but again, preferences come to play, as always.

regardless of how long we bring our differences to table, hip-hop actually doesn't allow us to reach consensus kinda.

that is how "dead" hip-hop is...(another argument we could do if you don't mind ), but overall... RAP NA RAP

and the street doesn't necessarily want to shake body. Eminem is the most appealing rapper, M.I didn't do dance tracks at any time (I think he took rap appeal in this country to heights, irrespective of his own height). the street or anywhere else wants music. NOW wouldn't we have to define what music means again?
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Akin1212(m): 6:59am On Feb 21, 2015
That's exactly what I said, mode was not making music, you see we all know rap and diss are couples, but rap and dance hall aren't enemies

If mode got angry or pissed cos rugged was cashing out and he was not cos he was/is lyrically heavier than rugged then he should have put his lyrics to work by laying it on some damn d.ope beats... Rap is not all about diss

And u are really wrong about MI not doing bang music, altho not like a real afro pop dance buh some of MI tracks were really hot and you could shake to it, MI is rhythmic, rugged is rhythmic buh mode is not. That's simple
Eminem is only appealing to you because you understand rap music, eminem does rap and music together, there's a difference

On AQ and local rappers, AQ said his reply was not really a diss, yeah buh he single handedly criticised the line where they said punchlines rappers can't cash out, I totally support AQ there... I still believe a punchline rapper can make it, or simply put an english rapper can cash out big time in the industry,
Look at the way things are now, a lot of indigenous rappers are springing out of nowhere, I can count about 5-7 yoruba rappers.. Soon enough market will be bad for them and they'll run back to english rap and punchline rap...

In terms of financial status, we both know selling cds don't work anymore, it's all about shows and endorsement, but tell me who wants to invite a rapper to a show to come and diss another rapper?
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by funmo(m): 12:17pm On Feb 21, 2015
well, punchline rappers have sold and are still selling

I think it takes a type of creativity to do rap music in its most raw form and still appeal, making commercial success out of it.

people have done it, still doing it. yes you can
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Akin1212(m): 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2015
Exactly, at least positivity gives a life line

Hip hop is truly dead, but just here in naija, and my mission is to resurrect it
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Ignatio(m): 10:25pm On Feb 21, 2015
AQ should go sit down and reason How to make his music sell. Reminisce Olamide and Phyno figured out theirs. Boys wan survive. This country is too hard. BTW English no be our own.
Re: Local Local Rappers Versus Local International Rappers by Millate01: 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Flavour Flaunts Bulging Muscles At The Gym; Pictured With Phyno / MUSIC: Jcoolsaint - Senior Man / [lyrics] Mayorkun – Fantasy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.