Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes (13716 Views)

Nigerians have killed more South Africans - Gigaba, SA Home Affairs Minister / Borno Governor Attacks Jonathan, Seeks Amnesty For Boko Haram / Patience Jonathan Seeks Support For Buhari’s Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by PhockPhockMan: 4:27am On Feb 20, 2015
Jonathan Renews Efforts To Woo South-west Voters.

President Goodluck Jonathan and his campaign handlers have redoubled their efforts to get significant votes from the South-West during the March 28 presidential election.

The PUNCH gathered on Thursday that the decision was based on calculations that the zone, because of its high number of registered voters, was critical to Jonathan’s re-election.

A Presidency official told one of our correspondents that that was why the members of the Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Council decided that Jonathan should reach out more to political, opinion leaders and traditional rulers in the zone with a view to getting their support.

He said that Jonathan and his handlers had therefore decided to use his ongoing visit to the South-West to carry out the task.

Jonathan, who was in Lagos on Thursday to inaugurate four Naval platforms, is expected to remain in the zone till Sunday. He later met with the Yoruba Council of Elders at the State House, Marina, Lagos.

Our source said the campaign team believes that the meeting could easily influence their (YCE ) followers to support Jonathan.

According to him, barring any last minute change in plan, Jonathan will be visiting the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, on Saturday.

On the same day, the President will visit the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade.

He said, “You will recall that when the President visited Ibadan for his campaign, he only visited Olubadan. We have identified the need for him to also visit the Alaafin of Oyo.

“The same thing happened when we were at Osogbo for the presidential rally. He visited the Ataoja of Osogbo. We have found it necessary to visit the Ooni of Ife.

“More traditional rulers from the zone will be reached out to during this period, one way or the other.

“The simple message for these monarchs is for them to support the President’s re-election bid.”

The opposition All Progressives Congress controls three states in the South-West(Lagos, Oyo and Osun) while Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic Party is in charge of Ekiti and Ondo states. The PUNCH had reported exclusively on Tuesday that following the delay of polls dates, the PDP Campaign Council had resolved to begin another round of state-wide campaigns.

It was reported then that unlike the just-concluded campaigns that took Jonathan to about 35 states, about 10 states would be visited during this round for more “penetration and consultations.”

Some Yoruba leaders, who converged on Akure, Ondo State on Thursday to review the recommendations of the National Conference, concluded that a vote for Jonathan would ensure the implementation of the conference’s recommendations.

The meeting by the Yoruba leaders under the aegis of Afenifere Group. was tagged, ‘’National Conference, 2015 Elections and the Yoruba Nation.’

The Chairman of the occasion, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, set the tone of the meeting, saying that the support expressed by Afenifere for Jonathan was not partisan but based on the interest of the South-West people.

He said the vision of a restructured Nigeria was being realised with the convening of the 2014 National Conference.

Adebanjo said, “We are supporting Jonathan because of the consistency of the Yoruba to have this country restructured so that it can develop.

“People are calling for change. I want a change in the constitution of Nigeria. Only a change in the constitution can truly bring about the change that we need.”

The convener of the summit, who is also the Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, stressed the need for change in the 1999 Constitution so as to enable the Yoruba nation to grow its economy independently.

He said, “The Confab report, when implemented, will create room for each state to have its own constitution, its own police force, its own prison service. Each state can create its own local government, can build its own airports, sea ports and railways in addition.

In the economic domain, solid minerals that had been the exclusive preserve of the Federal Government since independence, have now been brought to the concurrent list. States can now create employment and develop at their own pace. With all that, it liberates everybody; it opens up the political space.”

Mimiko noted that Jonathan was genuinely committed to transforming Nigeria through the convening of the National Conference, adding that the outcome had proved sceptics wrong.

He said now that those deriding the conference had been proved wrong, they had been scheming “to hijack power so as to throw the Confab report to the dustbin of history.”

In their goodwill messages, the Founder of the O’odua Peoples Congress, Frederick Faseun, and the National Coordinator, OPC, Gani Adams, warned that the National Conference report remained a vehicle for actualising the Yoruba dream of a prosperous South-West.

Others in attendance were Kunle Olajide, Biodun Olujimi, Makanjuola Ogundipe, Femi Okurounmu, Gboyega Isiaka, Jide Adeniyi, Yinka Odumakin and the Minister of State for Works, Dapo Adeyeye.

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-renews-efforts-to-woo-south-west-voters/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Quote1: 4:38am On Feb 20, 2015
Too late. We, the good people of South-west have decided to vote for #Change. We prefer a man of integrity to a thief. We are voting the man with zero tolerance for Kwaraption (you can see that in his face). Yes, in General Mohammodu Buhari we trust.

119 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Oklander: 4:39am On Feb 20, 2015
He shouldn't waste his remaining time, Otueke is sure for him. A sane person would advice this man to refurbish the prisons around the country within the shot period he has left before may 29th because, no matter where all his aids and followers in corruption flee to, Buhari will hunt them down, PACKAGE THEM INSIDE GHANA MUST GO and send them back to Naija for there prison terms. grin grin grin

60 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by ba7man(m): 4:50am On Feb 20, 2015
I was in the hold up caused by GEJ yeaterday at Marina for over an hour.

The other people stuck weren't cheering GEJ..........They were cursing and jeering him and the security operatives present.

When people start communicating from car to bus and such speaking with the same voice, know that its a shared opinion.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by spott(m): 4:55am On Feb 20, 2015
They said Buhari will take us back if elected President! Nigerians say it's a good decision to go back when you've lost your way on a 16yr PDP journey where our destination as a nation is no longer visible. Please, Buhari, take us back to the era where:
1. One Dollar was less than one Naira. It is incredible today!
2. Everything was on first come first serve basis.
3. There was zero tolerance for corruption.
4. Oil refineries in PortHarcourt, Warri & Kaduna were built & running at full capacity.
5. Anybody with questionable wealth was afraid to display it in public.
6. There was Zero tolerance for in discipline. Everything was in order
7. Nigeria had no debt at all.
8. Neglecting your children was a crime
9. Littering the public place was a crime
10. Twenty oil depots were built and functioning.
11 Western world can't interfere into our nation.
12. Chad invaded Nigeria, we sent them packing but did not harness their Land
13. Our economy was NOT running on generator
14. We can sleep with our eyes closed because we were secured.
15. Countries like Indonesia and Malaysia need not to set example on how to deal with drug pushers. 16. The Maitaseine Islamic Sect insurgency in the North was crushed on record time. 17. We want those days when Buhari was a military Governor but did not amass illegal wealth. 18. We want those days when Buhari was a Minister of Petroleum but did not hire a private jet for N10 billion. 19. We want those days when Buhari was a Head of State but did not loot the Treasury. 20. We want those days when Buhari was Head of PTF but did not steal the Fund even in the days of Abacha when stealing was the order of the day.
Pls, Buhari & Osinbajo, take us BACK! We can't afford another 4yrs of waste in the hands of PDP!!! Take us BACK to the good old days of this our great nation.
If you want this to happen, circulate the message!!!

108 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by PaulJohn1: 5:12am On Feb 20, 2015
...On the same day, the President will visit the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade.

He said, “You will recall that when the President visited Ibadan for his campaign, he only visited Olubadan. We have identified the need for him to also visit the Alaafin of Oyo.

“The same thing happened when we were at Osogbo for the presidential rally. He visited the Ataoja of Osogbo. We have found it necessary to visit the Ooni of Ife...

GEJ and his campaign team are always too far from reality. Which is likely going to add to their inevitable massive lose next month.
Gej visited Ataoja of Oshogbo and Oni of Ife in Osun 2014 election, his visit to these traditional rullers couldn't win the election for his party's candidate. Oshogbo where Gej campaigned and visited the king gave the opposition candidate the highest vote in the state. Not to mention Alaafin that is so engrossed in the opposition part affair, he didn't only donate to the party's success, he left his palace in Oyo down to Osun to attend Aregbe's 2nd term inauguration. Perhaps they are hoping Soun of Ogbomosho 'll support their bid, while his son his contesting under this same opposition party for the house of rep.
As for Oba of Lagos, seems he has the largest share in APC of all the Obas in SW. grin

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by TeamSimple(m): 5:18am On Feb 20, 2015
Jona stop wooing or toasting,u shud av done that when you had your chance for 6 years.

22 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by omenka(m): 5:39am On Feb 20, 2015
I thought Thief George, Koro, and co, said 80% of people in the SW have made up their minds to vote for Jonathan... Why is he still "wooing"
already won hearts

Jonathan should stop wasting his time, energy and money in the North and SW and rather focus on battle grounds such as the Middle Belt and some parts of the SE.

33 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by clevvermind(m): 6:01am On Feb 20, 2015
apc should forget it. SW is for Jonathan. Jonathan till 2019.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Akinsz: 7:00am On Feb 20, 2015
Don't be deceived, jonathan should forget southwest.
clevvermind:

36 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by clevvermind(m): 7:01am On Feb 20, 2015
Akinsz:
Don't be decieved, jonathan should forget southwest.
you are the one that is being deceived.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Rilwayne001: 7:08am On Feb 20, 2015
clevvermind:

LOL grin grin

Joker.

39 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Rilwayne001: 7:12am On Feb 20, 2015
@OP

Let me tell you something, here in SW our obas are not "onijekuje"...even if they are nobody gives a rat-hole about it, they cant change our decision. I can't remember the last time olubadan of ibadan comes out to speak to the public talkless of coming out to campaign for a clueless drunkard. why should he even bother himself again if his record in SW is good?

GeJ till March28
Buhari till jesus come cheesy

34 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by KwoiZabo(m): 7:15am On Feb 20, 2015
OP abi na Punch. APC controls 4 states in the SW not 3 but I can assure you that they will be left with Ekiti 'cos here won't be elections there and probably Oyo.
GEJ will win in every of these states.
GEJTILL2019

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by KwoiZabo(m): 7:16am On Feb 20, 2015
Rilwayne001:
@OP

Let me tell you something, here in SW our obas are not "onijekuje"...even if they are nobody gives a rat-hole about it, they cant change our decision. I don't remember the last time olubadan of ibadan comes out to speak to the public talkless of coming out to campaign for a clueless drunkard.

Buhari till jesus come cheesy
You mean Buhari will remain an Aspirant till Jesus comes?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Scatterboss(m): 7:19am On Feb 20, 2015
But the PDP said they have the SW on lockdown. I trust my people, lets wait and see.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by KwoiZabo(m): 7:21am On Feb 20, 2015
Quote1:
Too late. We, the good people of South-west have decided to vote for #Change. We prefer a man of integrity to a thief. We are voting the man with zero tolerance for Kwaraption (you can see that in his face). Yes, in General Mohammodu Buhari we trust.
If someone that entered the Army without certificate and when discovered went to connive with his former school principal to release 'oluwole' still has personal integrity to you then you must have been reading your english text from the rear.
As for political Integrity, there's no sign that he will do the right thing 'cos those bankrolling his campaign are more corrupt than the sitting government.
We are MARCHingFORWARD

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by KwoiZabo(m): 7:23am On Feb 20, 2015
Scatterboss:
But the PDP said they have the SW on lockdown. I trust my people, lets wait and see.
you trust your people not because APC has better candidates but because they will vote APC out of sentiment. Guy park well. So many yorubas are not like that, GEJ will win massively enough of Tinubu's deceit.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by orimsamsam(m): 7:44am On Feb 20, 2015
clevvermind:
look at this igbotish boy talking abt yoruba politics 4rm se

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by alotofgrace(m): 7:53am On Feb 20, 2015
this is no shocker, the South can never back APC front man Buhari....... Not even my brothers in the east
Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by lilprinze: 7:54am On Feb 20, 2015
APC should stop wasting their time because SOUTH WEST is for GEJ.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by khalebzy(m): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2015
I derive pleasure in seeing this man's foolishness
keep mumuing yourself mtheuuw

anywaiz, I rep

#TeamBuhariFreak.GEJmustGo

Thank you.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by priscaoge(f): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2015
Keep moving FORWARD!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Burger01(m): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2015
Oga Jonathan, you won't get my own vote oo. I have decided tay tay to vote for change.

Sai Buhari

#Change.

19 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by adebrave1(m): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2015
Kkk
Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by gen2briz(m): 7:55am On Feb 20, 2015
Sebi mimiko don promise you 1millon votes from ondo, Koro and bode talk say logos na your own, buruji said ogun's are ready, I remember say teslim folarin talk am say the whole oyo dey your back, omisore is seriously working in osun for your victory and if you can remember, railway is now working in osun.
Above all, Sebi OPC leader and the Afeniferes don promise una the whole South West. So why begging again, Sebi your people be like airtel (they got you covered)

Buhari all the way

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by naijasaints: 7:55am On Feb 20, 2015
Hes fooling himself,they will collect his money and vote for Buhari.

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by Sierraloaded: 7:56am On Feb 20, 2015
Keep jonzing

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by bobo65(m): 7:56am On Feb 20, 2015
wonder y jonathan is stressing himself
Buhari knows he aint gonna win
I wanna bet a huge sum of money with someone on this matter
na seen go hold the money
if Jonathan wins ill take all...if buhari wins...my opponent takes all
who is game?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by madridguy(m): 7:56am On Feb 20, 2015
The out-going President should stop deceiving himself. So it is now that he knows that he need the support of we Yorubas, after all he has done to cause katakata within the group.
Well, I trust my brothers and sisters, we will collect his money but we have decided to go with the moving train.

CHANGE 2015.

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Seeks Support Of Yoruba Leaders To Get More South-West Votes by DrPrickson: 7:56am On Feb 20, 2015
APC money don finish, der campaigning don end, whereas PDP is just gettin started. Amaechi loud mouth don shut up, Atiku is silent, lol.

Its not all about ur "click like for .... And share for ...." Rubbish on NL. Real Politics is done in the grass root. And PDP has the structure for that.

Before now I have supported GEJ because I know he is capable. But on a closer evaluation, I discovered that GEJ is just the only option. Can you imagine what will happen if on may 29 a new government emerges that is made up of OBJ, tinubu, Atiku, Amaechi, el rufi, etc, presided over by Buhari and his pack of fundamentalists? That's disaster waiting to happen to this country. All these men used to be sworn enemies each accusing one another of corruption and other atrocities, but today are united for the sole purpose of revenge and to share our oil money.

The People of SW are very educated and I believe strongly that they will use their enlightenment to good use .
The will choose light over darkness, educated over illiteracy, a democrat over a dictator, digital over analog.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Unfulfilled Promises": Niger Delta Militants Threaten To Resume Bombings / National Defence College's 9-Storey Accomodation Quarters Inaugurated In Abuja / Anger At Judiciary Worries Me – CJN Mahmud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.