Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. (40140 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Foreigner Must Visit Nigeria/next Tourist Destination / BONNY ISLAND, Nigeria. A Beautiful City Many Don't Know Of.[history&pictures] / Photo Of A Foreigner Carrying A Well Maintained Nigeria Airways Bag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by freeDR(m): 5:15pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Haha. Don't know where Yaba is. I'm kenyan. But I'm in the states now.

Here are some of the works that made me so familiar with Nigeria:

- Nnamdi Azikiwe's Autobiography
- Some works by soyinka (I've only read snippets of Soyinka coz he's too smart for me)
- "The Nigeria Civil war" by John st Jorre.
- A host of works by Achebe.
- Multitude of short stories by Nigerian authors.
- I've read three books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- " Sunset in Biafra" which is a criticism of Biafra by Elechi Amadi who I think was an Efik man or something.
- A host of historical vignettes on Nigeria.
- "My Command" which is Obasanjo's autobiography of the civil war with a focus on his role as commander.

Essentially, I've read a lot about Nigeria and know quite a bit about it. And I just discovered nairaland last week.
[b][/b] lol, I feel the same about Soyinka too. BTW, I think you are an avid reader. You have won my respect already.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:19pm On Feb 20, 2015
iyisco2001:
I have a feeling this is chinedu wey we go skul together and him mama carry am run go Kenya. undecided
him been live for Aba ALSO.

Very funny. But you are mistaken.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
Xavier9ja:
won't u visit sambisa, monguno or any north eastern state. they are really cool place

I think a visit to the north would be trip to die for. grin (Pun totally intended)

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by enomakos(m): 5:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
[quote
author=AlpineSnow post=30902127]

Not much other than where they live. But I do know that they were
incorporated into Biafra when Biafra's map was demarcated. Some of them
sympathized with the Igbo, while some of them feared that if Biafra were
to succeed, then they would be the minority group with the Igbo being
the majority. The fact that Maj-Gen Phillip Effiong, an Efik man, was
second in command to Gen. Ojukwu didn't help matters. So some of them
kinda rebelled (not with arms) and were locked up during a good portion
of the war by the Biafran Secret Service. Elechi Amadi was one those
locked up. He gives a good account of it in his book "Sunset in Biafra".

I don't really anything else about them.[/quote]welcome to nairaland

captain elechi amadi is an ikwerre man for river state
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
hectorswag:

Me neither. Why should the OP sef give it such a title?

It was just a self-deprecating title.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:23pm On Feb 20, 2015
joseph1832:
I honestly don't think the reasons given above are flimsy.

It's just a self-deprecating title.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
baywatch84:
Why not visit sambisa forest and maiduguri and take selfie with boko haram, alainikanse ole lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Yeah, right.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Rajjah(f): 5:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

wel d niger n benue rivers met in my state.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Rajjah(f): 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

wel d niger n benue rivers met in my state. grin
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:34pm On Feb 20, 2015
ElPhenomenal:
Won't you love to visit maiduguri too? It has alot of great historical backgrounds

Haha. I see what you are doing there smiley
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by knowledgeable: 5:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

The feeling is mutual (If you are a guy no homo smiley)

"No homo"........a typical Nigerian expression.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
calebbintus:

So u had all this in your head? Or u googled. You Fraud.

You'll be surprised by the amount of information I can retain and recite afterwards. I'm actually quite good at that.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 5:43pm On Feb 20, 2015
ibrokola:

Lol. This is exactly why most people find it difficult to believe you aren't a Nigerian. This is exactly how we the Youth write socially!

"No homo" is not a uniquely Nigerian phrase. It's American actually.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by obyrich(m): 6:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
Godiloveu:

Nigerians! doubting Thomas since time in memorial. so now u believe him right? smh! 4u
Babe, I don't understand you. Maybe you mistook me for someone else.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by neutrotoba(m): 6:21pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Not much other than where they live. But I do know that they were incorporated into Biafra when Biafra's map was demarcated. Some of them sympathized with the Igbo, while some of them feared that if Biafra were to succeed, then they would be the minority group with the Igbo being the majority. The fact that Maj-Gen Phillip Effiong, an Efik man, was second in command to Gen. Ojukwu didn't help matters. So some of them kinda rebelled (not with arms) and were locked up during a good portion of the war by the Biafran Secret Service. Elechi Amadi was one those locked up. He gives a good account of it in his book "Sunset in Biafra".

I don't really anything else about them.
yhu know too much already, tinz I don't know angry
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by neutrotoba(m): 6:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
knowledgeable:

"No homo"........a typical Nigerian expression.
sorry sir, no be Nigeria get am, na black americans.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by wunderkiind(m): 7:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:
As a Non-Nigerian African, I've always been fascinated by Nigeria (And no, not because of Nollywood, I'm not a fan of Nollywood). Here are the reasons why I want to visit Nigeria.

1. To Try Jollof Rice
I once read this book by Chinua Achebe where one of the characters really liked Jollof rice. And it sounded tasty. So I really want to visit nigeria and try it straight from the source. grin

2. To Visit Kano.
Back when I was in class seven (7th grade obviously) we learnt about Climates in different parts of Africa. Kano (Northern Nigeria) was one of the area whose climates we studied. We looked at some pictures from that area, and the mud roofed houses (adobe houses?) looked really nice. So I'd like to visit that place.

3. To Visit the University of Ibadan.
It's probably the most well known Nigerian University outside of Nigeria. And a lot of smart Nigerians e.g Soyinka went there. Plus when I was a kid, I used to read this African encyclopedia for teenagers, and most of the contributing authors were from there (the others were from the university of Nairobi).

4. To Try Bitter Leaf and Egusi.
I don't even know what this is, but it sounds delicious. Again I learnt about this while reading Achebe. grin

5. To Visit Enugu.
I read "The Nigerian Civil War" by John de st Jorre. And Enugu was the capital of Biafra at the beginning. So I'm just interested in visiting because I read so much about it.

6. To Visit the Confluence of The Niger and The Benue.
And to travel by boat for a short distance down The Niger. Hopefully I won't end up like Mungo Park.

7. Visit Port Harcourt.
I just like the name of the city. That's all.

8. Visit the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Why? Because some smart Nigerians e,g Chris Okigbo have ties to this university. (Side Note: Chris Okigbo's grandson and I attended the same university. And boy, could he sing! His group competed in one of those American singing shows and did very well)
Hello, Bro, I must say I'm impressed with what you've written so far, and your knowledge of Nigerians, and Nigeria as a foreigner! You are a really knowledgeable and literary fellow.

Big ups.

However, I must also say categorically and as a matter of fact- If you have not visited Lagos, then your visit to Nigeria is not complete! cheesy

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Spymate: 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Thanks. But I have to wait till you guys get this election thing peacefully done with.
is like u nt interested on d BH guys of the north east of nigeria
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Xavier9ja(m): 7:40pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

I think a visit to the north would be trip to die for. grin (Pun totally intended)
lol

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by EmmanuelD1st(m): 7:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
MrCork:

...so u want to compare pekam to Nigeria ?... That place where u people hav moooskito lookin like butter fly?... May I remind u that we don't hav mossskito hear in London.and unlike u people..we only hav them in zoo ( no oofense) angry
Lmao...this MrCock guy is so high on meth n weed (2gether)

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by EmmanuelD1st(m): 7:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

And u know this for a fact...hahaha...prove it bro
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by oluwarantimi(f): 8:34pm On Feb 20, 2015
Don't forget Lagos. If you don't visit Lagos, you haven't visited Nigeria. Don't worry will gladly take you around wink
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by 100Cents: 8:46pm On Feb 20, 2015
Trendy4gud:
I volunteer to make all the meals just to help a brother. Secondly, to take you to Achebe's house which's important.

Is that how you plan to leave Nigeria ?

What an American dream !

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by EbuGeneral(m): 8:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Not much other than where they live. But I do know that they were incorporated into Biafra when Biafra's map was demarcated. Some of them sympathized with the Igbo, while some of them feared that if Biafra were to succeed, then they would be the minority group with the Igbo being the majority. The fact that Maj-Gen Phillip Effiong, an Efik man, was second in command to Gen. Ojukwu didn't help matters. So some of them kinda rebelled (not with arms) and were locked up during a good portion of the war by the Biafran Secret Service. Elechi Amadi was one those locked up. He gives a good account of it in his book "Sunset in Biafra".

I don't really anything else about them.

Elechi Amadi is not an Efik name oga... you are a Nigeria.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Hygizee(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
testing 1st coment ever
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by LadyX(f): 9:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
AlpineSnow:

Sasa? Welcome to NL. It's interesting & u'll learn alot about naija. Being on NL makes you feel like you've been to Nigeria already.

Your write up reminded me of my desire to visit Zanzibar. I read stories about hidden treasures & the Sultans. I'll definitely visit it someday.
As for plan to visit naija go for it. It's your happiness so go for it. Goodluck.
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by 100Cents: 9:34pm On Feb 20, 2015
Rexnegro:

Ur visit isn't complete if u don't visit ikogosi to feel the natural hot n cold water springing from the earth crust...there's only two of such places in d world...ekiti and in Japan.

I have been there during NYSC..

Interesting..
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by 100Cents: 9:40pm On Feb 20, 2015
Krasid:
Your reasons are not convingcing enough.Are you sure there is no other reason apart from the ones listed?

He is coming for the nairaland ladies who have agreed to cook for him for free..

Hehehe

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Rexnegro(m): 10:20pm On Feb 20, 2015
100Cents:

I have been there during NYSC..

Interesting..
Then u re not a foreigner, why lie with the thread topic that u re a foreigner then ?
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by 100Cents: 10:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
Rexnegro:

Then u re not a foreigner, why lie with the thread topic that u re a foreigner then ?

I am not the poster o..

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by Moana(f): 10:30pm On Feb 20, 2015
You want BH boys to bomb u in Kano lipsrsealed oya go!
Re: Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. by AlpineSnow(m): 10:54pm On Feb 20, 2015
Qoraxeey:

Hahaha..which year were you in class seven? Was in class seven in 1995 when we did GHC, and i can never forget my GHC teacher. Kenya nd The Rest of Africa. He would come to class and narrate his "voyages." How he went through the grassland savanna, the Equatorial climate, the Kalahari desert and what he saw.

He would start the class with "When i was in Zambia, I met Kenneth Kaunda." And the we would cruise through Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt, Steve Biko of South Africa, Joshua Nkomo of Zimbabwe, Kwame Nkuruma of Ghana, Julius Nyerere of Tanzania, and Haile Sellasie of Ethiopia. For some reason, we never studied Nigeria Leaders or South Africa's Mandela or Mugabe. Though I remember studying the Hausa and the Fulani. Wow....that was a long time.

Nilikuwa class 7 mwaka wa 2002. Wakati huo kulikuwa na uhaba wa walimu katika shule za msingi. Kwa hivyo serikali iliwachukua walimu kadhaa katika vyuo vya upili na kuwahamisha hadi shule za msingi. Lakini mshahara walioupata ulikuwa ni ule ule. Mwalimu wetu wa GHC alikuwa akifundisha geography na History katika shule ya upili kabla ya kuhamishwa hadi shule yetu. Kwa vile alikuwa na ujuzi mwingi, alitufundisha hadi mambo ambayo hatukufaa kujua, kwa mfano alitufundisha juu climate ya Northern Nigeria tulipokuwa tukiosoma juu ya The Fulani Herdsmen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JAPA: My Marriage Shakes / Over 20 People, Children Die In Cars Trapped In Snow Storm In Pakistan(Photos) / Truck Without A Driver Kills A Woman In Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.