Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders (2014 Views)

Why Do Churches Gives Special Treatment To Political Office Holder / Is It Proper For A Christian To Run A Hotel Business? / How To Choose Political Leaders - Pastor David Ogbueli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 11:29am On Feb 20, 2015
We live in a time when many people feel that there is a dearth of true leaders and leadership. On second thoughts, i think every time has always been like that. Many of our leaders today are followed more by the spur of sycophancy, selfish interest and hope for favour, not exactly because of their endearing leadership qualities. The class that is not drawn by these often feel alienated and with the rights to disparage and abuse leadership. Abuse is never a righteous thing to do, and calumny or jealousy is never a christian thing. That our leaders are poor leaders or wrong leaders is never a reason for the christian to do wrong. Wrong is not right, wrong is not correct. That another or a leader is wronger or wrongest is no reason for the christian to be wrong. We should still be right, the righteous is supposed to be right, the righteous is supposed to hold on his way. The commandments and the examples are very clear, both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament, and professing christians should learn to do well and be followers of what is good.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Believers believe God and believe the Word of God, else they are not believers, are they? EVERY SOUL is to be subject to the higher powers, the powers that be are ordained of God. Coming from the natural human standpoint, it is almost crazy to believe that. The powers that be are ordained of God. Paul looks at the despotic Emperors and Caesars, the Herods and Pilates, and he says "the powers that be are ordained of God." There is no power but of God. In other words, God permits them to be there. They cannot be there if God did not give the go ahead. Therefore we should be careful how we talk about or think about them.

Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
The disciples of Jesus and the apostles were never involved in any protests and demonstrations against the government. There are lawful ways and spiritual ways of making your requests known. Christians should conduct themselves in biblical ways and not follow the multitude to do wrong or allow their flesh and passions to override the perfect will of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Why then would a christian risk or jeopardize eternal life for damnation. Let the dead bury their dead. The Bible is not saying we should not speak against evil or be non-chalant to what is happening around us. But do not break the law, do not resist the power. To resist her is to oppose or to set one's self against authority. The greek word there is ANTI(antitassomai).

Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Here is the shocker, the surprising one. He is the MINISTER OF GOD. Christian conduct is not looking at party or political system, He is the minister of God to thee. This verse says it twice, it is very emphatic, HE IS THE MINISTER OF GOD. So be more careful, professing christian.

Rom 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
He repeats it again just in case we did not get it the other time. Our political leaders are God's ministers.

Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.
We are to render to them all their dues. Do not say this government is a thieving government therefore I will steal from them too. Or I will not honour them or obey them or pay my dues. Let us pay tax and tribute when due. Whatever they might be using it for, well that is left for them and the justice system, and of course God. Christians pay your taxes and bills. Also give custom to whom custom. Whatever is lawful or customary or traditional to do, let us do as much as it does not negate the Word and command of God. Because we ought to obey God rather than men. Give fear to whom fear and honour to whom honour. Fear is respect or reverence. We should respect and regard our political leaders, even if they are not of the same ideology, beliefs or party as we are. Even politicians know that themselves, and try to duly observe all protocol. We believers and christians should also know that. Honour them, do not dishonour political leadership.

i will be adding more instances and references and explanations. Questions and explanations and exhortations are welcome from all.

1 Like

Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 11:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

It is when we imbibe the Word of God that we will not sin against God. The Word of God may not be popular opinion but mark this, though hands join in hands the wicked will not be unpunished. Even if everybody has a different idea, God's idea is still the paramount for the christian. What is God's idea about our leaders?

Exo 22:28 Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.
The 'gods' here are the rulers, the judges, the political leaders, the government. We are not to revile the gods. To revile is to attack somebody verbally, or to use abusive insulting language. Nobody has the right to abuse or insult rulers. Many christians ignorant call the president, the governors and other rulers unprintable names. This is very wrong and unchristian. Again, i have to re-iterate that i am not saying(neither is the Bible saying) that we must agree sheepishly with the government. But even when and for whatever reason you do not agree, as a christian your conduct must remain proper and untainted. Let your light shine in this dark world. Daniel did not agree with everything Nebuchadnezzar did, he did not even like his food. i doubt that Daniel liked the fact that Nebuchadnezzar had killed many Israelites and taken them as captives to Babylon. But Daniel did not revile or curse, dare to be a Daniel.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 6:21am On Feb 21, 2015
Image123,
Where do you place political activism in your worldview which almost always is accompanied by some form of civil disobedience?
Supposing Negroes in the US were just docile, they'd still be living under far worse conditions. The American Negro is the most advanced Negro in the whole world by any standards all due to agitation.

Come closer home. South Africa apartheid regime.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 4:34pm On Feb 21, 2015
vooks:
Image123,
Where do you place political activism in your worldview which almost always is accompanied by some form of civil disobedience?
Supposing Negroes in the US were just docile, they'd still be living under far worse conditions. The American Negro is the most advanced Negro in the whole world by any standards all due to agitation.

Come closer home. South Africa apartheid regime.

Political activism accompanied by civil disobedience is not right for the Christian to engage in. Political activism is no guarantee anyway. We have many 'noble' and loved political activists who didn't get what they want. Fela, Solarin, Fawehinmi, Soyinka and co have not made Nigeria a better place for instance.
i'm not promoting docility or nonchalance. Request and requirements can be made without civil disobedience. Daniel, Nehemiah and Moses all made requests that were against government policy, but they didn't resort to civil unrest, aluta, violent agitation, reviling, calumny, slander, insurrection and similar action common to unbelievers.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 5:18pm On Feb 21, 2015
It is no guarantee I agree. So would you without batting an eyelid say that all Christians who participated in anti-apartheid protests were sinning, and they SHOULD NOT have?

Image123:

Political activism accompanied by civil disobedience is not right for the Christian to engage in. Political activism is no guarantee anyway. We have many 'noble' and loved political activists who didn't get what they want. Fela, Solarin, Fawehinmi, Soyinka and co have not made Nigeria a better place for instance.
i'm not promoting docility or nonchalance. Request and requirements can be made without civil disobedience. Daniel, Nehemiah and Moses all made requests that were against government policy, but they didn't resort to civil unrest, aluta, violent agitation, reviling, calumny, slander, insurrection and similar action common to unbelievers.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2015
vooks:
It is no guarantee I agree. So would you without batting an eyelid say that all Christians who participated in anti-apartheid protests were sinning, and they SHOULD NOT have?

i'm not the Judge, i'm just saying what proper Christian conduct should be. In our "strive" towards pleasing God and christian growth, i think we should look more to God and His Word than before instead of just what obtains or obtained.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 9:17pm On Feb 21, 2015
You are evasive.
It's either right or wrong and you are in a dilemma because the two instances of RSA & USA produced extremely positive or you can say Christian values of equality (love your neighbor as yourself) yet it came from something you detest.

Nobody disputes 'looking to God' but we are subjecting Image123's version of the same to REAL LIFE.
If you have no opinion on Luther or Rosa Parker then you should hold your peace forever
Image123:

i'm not the Judge, i'm just saying what proper Christian conduct should be. In our "strive" towards pleasing God and christian growth, i think we should look more to God and His Word than before instead of just what obtains or obtained.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 10:23pm On Feb 21, 2015
Early christians conduct/behaviour to political leaders.

1Co 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

The church had already received instructions not to company with sinners, they took it extremely literally it seems. So, in this epistle, the instruction was reviewed, and they were told it was not altogether or totally in the sense they were going about it. In this world, there is no way the christian will not meet with, relate with, and sometimes have to dwell with or company with sinners, except they leave the world. Even the hermit does not escape, and christians are not called to be hermits but to be shining lights showing forth God's praise and glory. And so, you would have to relate with sinners, fornicators, idolaters, homosexuals, immoral and lecherous individuals. Your boss, your landlord, your tenants, your colleagues at work, in the hostel etc. The man that determines your promotion, the professor that gives you an A or E grade, they may be chronic womanizers, drunks, mastubaters, occult and so on. But you must needs relate with them. In the bank, in the market, on the playground, in the laboratory, at the hospitals, everywhere. They may also be heads and leaders. What is the christian conduct to these people? How did the first century, bible christians relate with, conduct and behave towards political leaders. This is what i aim to examine.
The political leaders during the time of the first century christians were the Roman Empire chiefly, then they had the local heads in Israel like the Herod and the Sanhedrin. The Sanhedrin was major made up of the chief priests, the Pharisees and Sadducees. We all know that these were not very born again people. In fact, they were responsible for crucifying Jesus Christ. They were always antagonistic to Jesus and withstood Him everywhere and every time. They were always looking for His fall/slip. They were also rich and powerful. These people were sinners, thieves and hypocrites. They had the woe of the Judge of the earth hanging on their heads. But it is humbling and almost surprising to note that the first century christians and apostles never reviled them. They never called them names or raised an insurrection or insurgency against them. Even though they hoped and asked Jesus for a change of government.

Act 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,
Peter referred to them as rulers and elders of Israel. The apostles and disciples recognised rulers and kings. We should not think that because you are a man of God, or a child of God, and "citizen of a heavenly kingdom", then you disregard the rulers and elders. Even when they are so wrong as to kill Jesus, blaspheme Him, and persecute you. Peter was filled with the Holy Ghost. Some people think that, if our pastors are filled with the Holy Ghost, they will not regard the president or the governor.

Luk 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.

When Jesus was crucified, and His disciples did not even know that He was risen. Two of His disciples were talking about the political leaders, they referred to them as OUR RULERS. Mr President/Mr Governor is our President/Governor, whether you like him or you do not like him. A christian should not scathingly criticize or address political leaders. We should never deride, abuse or revile them. If there are challenges and demands to be made, there are proper ways of going about them without being abusive, derisive or disrespectful, even when you think you are better than them.
i will be talking on other christians in the Bible subsequently, and also OT characters as God permits. Inputs, clarifications, questions and corrections are welcome, i appreciate the contribution from vooks thanks.

1 Like

Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 10:28pm On Feb 21, 2015
vooks:
You are evasive.
It's either right or wrong and you are in a dilemma because the two instances of RSA & USA produced extremely positive or you can say Christian values of equality (love your neighbor as yourself) yet it came from something you detest.

Nobody disputes 'looking to God' but we are subjecting Image123's version of the same to REAL LIFE.
If you have no opinion on Luther or Rosa Parker then you should hold your peace forever

you cannot force me to condemn them or approve them na. i have said that there are other ways that they could have gone about their demands. Nehemiah had a demand for his people, same also did Daniel. like we both agree, protests or political activism do not always work. In fact, most times, protesters usually need to calm down and enter into peaceful dialogue before issues are resolved. The end does not always justify the means.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by lastmessenger: 10:48pm On Feb 21, 2015
Even when they bow down to satanic shrines to get power by all means, the powers that be are from God. Even when they do things to put the life of the people in perpetual penury and suffering, the powers that be are still from God. what a sick and anti=human way of interpreting the bible.
what if a civil disobedience leads to the emergence of a new government that delivers a better life to the people? is the government still from God ?
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 6:09am On Feb 22, 2015
nobody has enough energy to force you nothing.i just asked a simple question; in the light of your diatribe, was the civil rights movement godly or not? If you are not familiar with the movement, Google is your friend. What about apartheid? And negro freedom fighters who resisted colonialists? Is it not hypocritical to go dumb on such serious matters?

Whether it works or not is not the point, nothing works 100% of the time. Surgeries can go south very fast and snuff away the very lives they were saving. So it's not about a billion and one 'other' ways, it's about the way they did it. Was it godly?

Image123:

you cannot force me to condemn them or approve them na. i have said that there are other ways that they could have gone about their demands. Nehemiah had a demand for his people, same also did Daniel. like we both agree, protests or political activism do not always work. In fact, most times, protesters usually need to calm down and enter into peaceful dialogue before issues are resolved. The end does not always justify the means.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 10:54am On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:
nobody has enough energy to force you nothing.i just asked a simple question; in the light of your diatribe, was the civil rights movement godly or not? If you are not familiar with the movement, Google is your friend. What about apartheid? And negro freedom fighters who resisted colonialists? Is it not hypocritical to go dumb on such serious matters?

Whether it works or not is not the point, nothing works 100% of the time. Surgeries can go south very fast and snuff away the very lives they were saving. So it's not about a billion and one 'other' ways, it's about the way they did it. Was it godly?

i already said it and i say it again, they do not need to be violent or revile the government to get things done. Aluta, civil unrests and insurgency are not the biblical way to get things done. Asking me if they're sinners or saints is not my job to determine. Did they do the right thing by protesting the conditions? Yes. Did they go about it the best way? No. Are they sinners or going to hell? i do not know and it's not my job to decide. Hope you understand better now.

1 Like

Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 10:57am On Feb 22, 2015
lastmessenger:
Even when they bow down to satanic shrines to get power by all means, the powers that be are from God. Even when they do things to put the life of the people in perpetual penury and suffering, the powers that be are still from God. what a sick and anti=human way of interpreting the bible.
what if a civil disobedience leads to the emergence of a new government that delivers a better life to the people? is the government still from God ?

Lol, it is not easy to believe the Word of God na. i'm often amused when folks(especially atheists) say christianity is a easy option. i said ordained BTW, what is your interpretation of the passage?
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 12:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
No I don't understand because you are bent on not making me understand.
Civil rights movement is unbiblical but you don't know whether the participants sinned against God or not because it is not your job to decide? Is it your job to tell us what is Biblical and what is not?

Image123:

i already said it and i say it again, they do not need to be violent or revile the government to get things done. Aluta, civil unrests and insurgency are not the biblical way to get things done. Asking me if they're sinners or saints is not my job to determine. Did they do the right thing by protesting the conditions? Yes. Did they go about it the best way? No. Are they sinners or going to hell? i do not know and it's not my job to decide. Hope you understand better now.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:
No I don't understand because you are bent on not making me understand.
Civil rights movement is unbiblical but you don't know whether the participants sinned against God or not because it is not your job to decide? Is it your job to tell us what is Biblical and what is not?

i have not said civil rights movement is not right or unbiblical, you are mixing things up. i said civil DISOBEDIENCE, unrest, reviling, calumny is not right and not the Christian way. Christians don't judge in the context in which you seem to want me to, judgement is not our job. We can teach, exhort, correct, discuss, explain.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Vicotex(m): 12:59pm On Feb 22, 2015
As christians, we should pray to God to change the heart of the bloodlusted retired general (BUHARI).
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 1:19pm On Feb 22, 2015
Civil rights movement is about CHANGING the Laws/ordinances and you are saying we should be busy obeying...hallo?
Can you show me an instance where believers attempted to change the Law of the land in Biblical times?

Image123:

i have not said civil rights movement is not right or unbiblical, you are mixing things up. i said civil DISOBEDIENCE, unrest, reviling, calumny is not right and not the Christian way. Christians don't judge in the context in which you seem to want me to, judgement is not our job. We can teach, exhort, correct, discuss, explain.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 5:01pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:
Civil rights movement is about CHANGING the Laws/ordinances and you are saying we should be busy obeying...hallo?
Can you show me an instance where believers attempted to change the Law of the land in Biblical times?

Civil rights movements are about righting perceived wrongs. They are about defending and liberating the weak and the downtrodden from segregation, discrimination and abuse. They are not about changing laws. They do not have to be insurgents. i have clearly said it and even repeated that there is nothing wrong with demanding a change for the better. i have only stated(and aim to show) how christians should or should not go about such demands. Christians are not to revile rulers or engage in insult, calumny, riots and mayhem or violence. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2015
The highlighted, clearly you are clueless about the movement

Image123:

Civil rights movements are about righting perceived wrongs. They are about defending and liberating the weak and the downtrodden from segregation, discrimination and abuse. They are not about changing laws. They do not have to be insurgents. i have clearly said it and even repeated that there is nothing wrong with demanding a change for the better. i have only stated(and aim to show) how christians should or should not go about such demands. Christians are not to revile rulers or engage in insult, calumny, riots and mayhem or violence. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 5:41pm On Feb 22, 2015
Just to clarify and elaborate on something especially seeing lastmessenger brought it up. i want to be clear that i am not only/just giving my opinion but ALSO stating what the Bible clearly teaches on the subject. i have asked and i am asking for corrections, additions, explanations, exhortations, and of course questions. The thread/posts is not just Image123's idea or invention, it is what is in the Bible visible for every literate to read. That we do not agree to or understand it may be another issue, but treating it like i manufactured it is somehow. BTW, the christian ought to RENEW his/her mind by the Word of God, from what he thinks or feels is obtainable or should be.
Phili 1:10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ;

A growing christian ought to want to know more of God and reach greater heights as seen in the Bible by grace. The things i am sharing, i also have my wows and 'doubts', and questions and even reservations. But we cannot do anything against the truth but for the truth, as it were. i do not understand God many times but i know Him, at least to some extent. i know He is invisible though i wish He wasn't and sometimes do not fully understand why. i know He wants us to pray and that He answers prayer, though i also do not understand fully why we should even pray when He knows what we are going to pray about already. And on and on.
And so when the Bible said the powers that be are ordained of God, i don't fully understand that too. But i believe that and i know that. Why do i know that? Because of my little experience and knowledge, but more importantly and which i share, because the Bible several times and assertively says so. The powers that be that are referred to in that epistle(Romans 13v1) is not referring to Peter or Jesus or Apollos or the Church. He is referring to the political rulers, the Caesars and Herods and Governors and co. There is no power but of God, He says. Nothing escapes God, God is fully aware of every position and promotion. It is not an exaggeration that He says.Mat 10:30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Jesus is not exaggerating or playing when He clearly says Mat 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. If God is so detailed and aware about birds, make no mistake He knows about every single king, president, promotion, ruler etc.

Lam 3:37 Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
There is no election or selection He is not aware of. There is no coup or primary, interim government or even class captain that He does not know. John the baptist was very straight about it and holy ghost indwelt. He said Joh 3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. Try as hard as you want, if you do not have heaven's permission, allowance or go ahead, no one can get any position of power. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Jer 27:5 I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me.
Jer 27:6 And now have I given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him.
Jer 27:7 And all nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the very time of his land come: and then many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of him.
Jer 27:8 And it shall come to pass, that the nation and kingdom which will not serve the same Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, and that will not put their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, that nation will I punish, saith the LORD, with the sword, and with the famine, and with the pestilence, until I have consumed them by his hand.

What we usually think i guess, is that God would/must give to only christians or believers or nice people. God is not that way. In fact, God most times would not give political power to His friends, not on this earth or dispensation.

Dan 2:21 And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:
Pro 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.
Dan 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

God giveth it to whomsoever he will.
Dan 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
1Sa 2:8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 5:44pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:

The highlighted, clearly you are clueless about the movement

Civil right movement[b]s[/b] are not only limited to those that fought for black emancipation or apartheid, it refers to any union or association involved in promoting civil rights and liberty. Do not limit it to just one popular or particular movement.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 5:49pm On Feb 22, 2015
Next to scriptures, Google should be your best friend cool

The national effort made by black people and their supporters in the 1950s and 1960s to eliminate segregation and gain equal rights.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civil+rights+movement

Image123:

Civil right movement[b]s[/b] are not only limited to those that fought for black emancipation or apartheid, it refers to any union or association involved in promoting civil rights and liberty. Do not limit it to just one popular or particular movement.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 6:09pm On Feb 22, 2015
Image123,
There is a level of shallowness in your post that I find irritating

Let's discus this;
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Slave-Masters

Ample verses on the subject

Colossians 3:22 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

Ephesians 6:5 -8 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: 8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

1 Peter 2:18-19 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. 19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

And now, let's personalize this. Supposing your wife is kidnapped and made a slave. What would be your counsel to her in her new status as a slave?
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 6:17pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:

Next to scriptures, Google should be your best friend cool

The national effort made by black people and their supporters in the 1950s and 1960s to eliminate segregation and gain equal rights.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/civil+rights+movement

Calm down and understand what is being said. You should notice the plural i have been consistent with. Civil rights is not limited to the struggle for black emancipation. Civil rights movementS have been before then and continue to be. i'm not limiting what i say to only that however if you have specific questions, ask specifically and I'll answer the best i can. Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals ' freedom from infringement by governments , social organizations, and private individuals, and which ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the society and state without discrimination or repression. Please note the pluralS and perhaps check these links too.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_and_political_rights

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_rights_leaders
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 6:21pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:
Image123,
There is a level of shallowness in your post that I find irritating

Let's discus this;
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Slave-Masters

Ample verses on the subject

Colossians 3:22 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

Ephesians 6:5 -8 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: 8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

1 Peter 2:18-19 (KJV)
Servants [SLAVES], be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. 19 For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully.

And now, let's personalize this. Supposing your wife is kidnapped and made a slave. What would be your counsel to her in her new status as a slave?

This would detract from the thrust of the thread, which is POLITICAL leaders and christian behavior. Kindly use a church leader close to you, or a bible commentary or open another thread for the interpretation of the verses you quoted if necessary.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by vooks: 6:27pm On Feb 22, 2015
Thank you for following my advice. Google is your friend.
Semantics won't save you

Image123:

Calm down and understand what is being said. You should notice the plural i have been consistent with. Civil rights is not limited to the struggle for black emancipation. Civil rights movementS have been before then and continue to be. i'm not limiting what i say to only that however if you have specific questions, ask specifically and I'll answer the best i can. Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals ' freedom from infringement by governments , social organizations, and private individuals, and which ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the society and state without discrimination or repression. Please note the pluralS and perhaps check these links too.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_and_political_rights

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_rights_leaders
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 6:31pm On Feb 22, 2015
vooks:
Thank you for following my advice. Google is your friend.
Semantics won't save you

Obviously i don't need saving, you need to calm down and pay attention.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 9:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
Luke's christians conduct/behaviour to political leaders.

Luke the evangelist, the popular writer of two books in the Bible, the gospel according to St. Luke and the Acts of the Apostles. Luke was a great historian, he was a christian and a friend of Paul the apostle, a first century christian and disciple of Jesus. Luke is a historian of first rank. He wrote his books to one Theophilus, a political ruler. The detail Luke puts into these two great books is of note, and shows his work ethics, thoroughness, and regard he had for his audience. Luke did not possibly know that his book will make the list of Bible books. It was just a correspondence to a man, but God used it. This is how he addresses Theophilus.

Luk 1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
Luk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.
Act 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

He called him MOST EXCELLENT, that is a very high title. Theophilus was junior to Luke in the faith if even a believer. Yet, Luke regarded and recognised his political position. Also, in his writings, he never puts in a personal attack or grievance in describing other political leaders of the time. He simply referred to them as "the elders", "the rulers". Luke knew so much and seems more educated than the average disciple and apostle of his time, but he did not demean or treat the sinner political class of his days with contempt or derision.

*next PAUL, interesting man, mr apostle to us. i'm very excited about Paul's stanceS.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 9:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
Paul's christian conduct/behaviour to political leaders.

Paul the apostle, he does not need much of an introduction, does he? Paul was a passionate follower of God and of Jesus Christ. Paul lived in the time of the 12 disciples/apostles of Jesus Christ. They knew each other and shared common and mutual fellowship and respect for each other. Paul happened to meet personal with many prominent political leaders in his time. So that apart from preaching it, he actually practiced what he was preaching. He says,

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

When Paul is referring in this verse to "the higher powers", or "the powers that be", make no mistake, he is not referring to the Holy Spirit or to Jesus Christ. He is not even referring to the church or the elders in the church or Peter and the other apostles. He is referring to the political leaders of his time. This is exciting and intriguing as he is primarily addressing the Romans, the people of Rome. The powers that be, the Higher powers are the Caesars and governors of the time. The political class of the time were by no means born again or christian, or even what we will call nice people, both secularly or religiously.
To Caesar.
The Caesar(s) that ruled the Roman Empire during the time of the early christians until the fall of the Roman Empire were Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. They all had a bad history. Did i say bad? Scratch that please, they all had an evil history, they were not nice neither were they demonstrators of any of the fruits of the Spirit. It is therefore most surprising that Paul says to the christians that "every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God". Paul himself appealed to Caesar, he took his case to Caesar as judge. He recognised and regarded Caesar. Historians say that the Caesar of this time of Paul's trial was Emperor Nero, that is, that Paul actually went on trial before Nero. Whether Nero or Augustus or the others, they were all wicked, tyrannical and despotic rulers. Nero is famed for persecuting christians so intensely. We are told that about 14 of the New testament's 27books were written during the time of Nero's emperorship. Nero was so brutal we are told that he murdered his own wife and mother as well as his step brother. Nero burned christians as human torches to light his evening garden parties. If you think any present day leader is ungodly, Nero seems to surpass them in that bid. But the Bible says that every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God. Wow, just wow.
Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,

Paul writing to a christian leader, tells him to remind other christians to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates. This is the biblical conduct of christians, this is a work of grace not of sense or logic.

To the governors.
Paul met with at least two of the governors in his time as documented in the Bible. He met with Felix and Festus.

Act 24:26 He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the more often, and communed with him.
Act 24:27 But after two years Porcius Festus came into Felix' room: and Felix, willing to show the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound.

Governor Felix was a corrupt man, looking for Paul to bribe him. Paul had respect for him, never reviling him or lampooning him or attacking his person. He did not even speak evil of him. Consider how we talk of our corrupt governors, presidents and leaders. Do we revile them? Paul referred to Festus as most noble.
Act 26:25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but I speak forth the words of truth and soberness.

Here is Festus that had left Paul in prison just for the pleasure of his accusers. Here is a man just told Paul in the front of everyone that he was mad and besides himself.
Act 25:9 But Festus, willing to do the Jews a pleasure, answered Paul, and said, Wilt thou go up to Jerusalem, and there be judged of these things before me?

To Herod Agrippa.
King Agrippa was the Herod of Paul's time. He was related to the Herods that killed many babies when Jesus was born, the one that mocked Jesus and killed John baptist, and the one that killed James the disciple, one of the twelve. Agrippa was the brother of Bernice by the way. The words on the street was that Agrippa was sleeping with his sister Bernice and they went about openly as a couple. Remember the other Herod that had his brother's wife Herodias? This was the sort of party and family that Agrippa belonged and operated in. Imagine having to talk to such a person or of or about such a person. What would you say and how would you say it? Would you lean towards the rumours, would you focus on the truths about his life and living or be fixed like Paul on the truth of the Word of God? Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to speak evil of no man. Would you even call him king, with all the pomp and pride. Paul looked at everything he knew about Agrippa, a miserable sinner headed for an eternity in hell, and among other things said.
Act 26:2 I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews:
Act 26:29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.

He said "I think myself happy". that in itself is some sort of miracle, given the circumstances and context. But anyway, he presented his case before the KING Agrippa and even wished he and everyone listening were christians and saved by grace. No wonder he could elsewhere say that we have the mind of Christ. That is definitely not the human mind, as God's ways are not our ways. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 9:44am On Feb 28, 2015
Paul's christian conduct/behaviour to political leaders II.

During the time of Paul, the chief priests and the Sanhedrin also qualified as rulers of the people. Paul had some dealings with them and it iwill be good that we highlight some of this briefly.

Act 23:4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest?
Act 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

Paul was a man of God and filled with the Holy Spirit. In fact, he was used of God in writing many books in the Bible. Paul however did not look at every man as the same, neither did he look than on perceived sinners and the ungodly. In the shoes of Paul today, some christian or popular pastor-preacher may have said "And so what?" But not Paul. Once Paul heard that the man he addressed was the high priest, he immediately changed his stance. He knew the law and obeyed it, quoting "Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people". To revile is to make a fierce or abusive verbal attack on somebody or something. To revile is to abuse, insult, scorn, berate or rebuke. We are not to revile leaders, Paul says in one of his letters that reviling can attract God's judgement.
1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Talking further about leaders and rulers, Paul wrote the following below.
1Ti 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
1Ti 2:2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;

We should learn to pray for our political leaders instead of reviling them. Pray for them, interceed for them, give thanks even for them It says this is GOOD and ACCEPTABLE before God. While a pastor or minister or christian should not exactly be frolicking and gallivanting with worldly politicians, there is no sin in pastors praying for or honouring the position of political leaders. Political leaders sometimes call for pastors and christians, for different reasons. The christian and pastor can of course pray for, honour and assist where possible with care and discretion/discernment.
Apart from being an 'heaven' citizen, Paul attested to being both a jew and a Roman. Christians are not independent or detached from their earthly nationality and do not need to act so.
Act 22:25 And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned?
Act 22:26 When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman.
Act 22:27 Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea

We are not to be too passive or nonchalant about our nationality. We should be patriotic and desirous of the peace and progress of where we come from and of where we reside. Paul had wishes, desires and prayers for his country, do you? We should not be the "whatever will be will be, me i am off to heaven" christian. God wants His good will done on earth also.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2015
Old Testament patriachs behaviour and conduct to political is very interesting. If these men and women who do not have grace like we have it in the New Testament dispensation, who do not have Jesus, and Bible and Holy Spirit like is available to us. Yet they manifested proper greacious conduct in the face of evil. We have no excuse.
Re: Proper Christian Conduct/behaviour To Political Leaders by Image123(m): 11:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
David's christian conduct to political leaders I

1Sa 24:6 And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.
1Sa 24:8 David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, My lord the king. And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth, and bowed himself.
1Sa 24:9 And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
1Sa 24:10 Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee today into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD's anointed.

David was a man after God's heart, a man of faith and the sweet psalmist of Israel. He had to deal with a political ruler Saul. How did he relate and deal with King Saul? He regarded King Saul as the Lord's anointed. The New Testament tells us that rulers are ministers ordained of God. David had a similar idea irrespective of the behaviour of King Saul. Remember that King Saul had an evil spirit troubling him and David knew this first hand. David was gifted and worked for King Saul in helping him to be relieved of this evil spirit. Can christians today be appointed by bad leaders or help bad leaders? Yes. David worked with/for King Saul, Daniel worked with/for King Nebuchadnezzar and other kings, Joseph worked with Pharaoh who imprisoned his workers who offended him. David referred to King Saul as his father.
King Saul was a man who had little or no regard for David. Despite the fact that David worked so closely for Saul, Saul didn't even "send him" or know him personally. Not until David killed Goliath and saved the whole nation did King Saul begin to take real notice of David. Yet, David had all the utmost respect for him and even when pressured by peers and friends to kill Saul, he would not. What grace!

(1) (Reply)

How Many Gods Are There, One Or Many? / Clear Error In The Bible: God Could Not Make Such A Mistake / Wow ! Harvard Professor Reveals Truth About Jesus' Marital Status ( Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.