Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,618 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. (17863 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People / An Igboman Was Once An Oba In Benin Kingdom(how True Is That) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 10:56am On Feb 22, 2015
I stumbled on this piece and decided to share with fellow Nairalanders.

OBA SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR RITUAL KILLING Published By: Mustapha Ogunsakin Efon Alaaye, the hilly and rocky boarder town between today’s Osun and Ekiti states is one of the ancient towns of Yorubaland. Like most towns in the same town, Efon Alaaye traces its roots to the cradle of Yoruba civilization, Ile- Ife. Life was as usual, rustic, with everyone been his brother’s keeper. However something very strange happened in the sunny afternoon of January 10, 1949 that threw the whole town into turmoil. Adediwura, a 15 month old baby was playing within the compound of his father, Ojo, when she suddenly disappeared. After a fruitless search in the compound, the mother could no longer bear the thoughts of her child been missing. She entered the afternoon sun and started shouting, throwing herself to the ground and weeping, and claiming that her daughter had been kidnapped. The husband and other members of the compound met briefly and decided to immediately inform the Alaaye of Efon, Oba Samuel Adeniran. Kabiyesi too, after several hours, organized a search party to recover the missing child. This however did not yield any fruitful result. The police too got involved in the case and the authorities sent to Lagos for help from the Central Investigations Department (CID) On the February 10, 1949, a team of detectives arrived Efon Alaaye. They are Chief Inspector Aruah, Sergeants Sule Agbabiaka and Olawaiye; and Constable Ariyo. They immediately set to work and within 48 hours, they established that Adediwura may have been a victim of ritual murder.

On St Valentine’ day 1949 (Monday February 14), the case was given national prominence as it was reported by the Daily Times Newspaper. Shortly after, the detectives arrested three suspects in connection with the murder. They are Enoch Falayi, Gabriel Olaberinjo, and Daniel Ojo. Falayi was a native doctor, and consultant to the Alaaye, while the other two were his messengers. Coronary inquest to the murder started at the Obokungbusi Hall, Ilesa in early April under Magistrate W. O Egbuna who was in charge of the area. During police investigations,one of the accused persons mentioned the involvement of Oba Adeniran and he was promptly arrested.

At the inquest, the Crown was represented by Mr Llyod Crow. Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Olu Alakija represented Oba Adeniran while Bode Thomas represented Olaberinjo and Abiodun Akerele represented Falayi. Chief Awolowo also represented Ojo. The coroner’s inquest eventually established that baby Adediwura was murdered by the accused persons and charges of murder was preferred against the Oba and the three other accused persons. The case was then transferred to Akure High Court. The trial judge was Justice N.S Pollard. Twenty one witnesses gave evidence. One of the witnesses, Aina Ola stated that it was Enoch Falayi, the herbalist to Oba Adeniran that kidnapped Adediwura and hid her under his Agbada. Owomobi, Falayi’s wife also gave evidence that the child was kept at their house and in the night she was forced to put the child on her back to the house of the second accused, Gabriel Olaberinjo. Ojo Olofa testified that the child was taken to the palace the following day where she was butchered in the presence of the Oba. The Oba, he said, brought out kolanuts and sworn them to secrecy. He further testified that at the palace, the eyes and the tongue of the child were taken by the first and second accused through a door that leads to the Oba’s living quarters. The dismembered body was then taken to the forest around the CMS church and buried by there. It was in this forest that the police discovered the body. After all the witnesses gave their evidence, the Crown counsel, Mr Crow submitted that the statements of the three major witnesses – Aina Ola, Owomobi and Ojo Olofa was sufficient for the conviction of Falayi, the herbalist. But the defence counsels argued that the three witnesses were accomplices and as such, their evidence needs to be corroborated. However, the trial judge, Justice Pollard ruled that he was satisfied that Aina Ola cannot be treated as an accomplice and therefore, her evidenced is enough corroboration of the concealment of Adediwura at Falayi’s house and subsequent transfer to the palace. Falayi was thereafter found guilty. Crown Counsel Crow also submitted that the confessional statement of Gabriel Olaberinjo and Ojo Olofa’s evidence was a complete corroboration of the second accused person’s guilt. However, his lawyer, Bode Thomas argued that his client made the statement under duress, and therefore could not be accepted as evidence. But Justice Pollard held otherwise. The judge said that he was satisfied that the accused evidence was made voluntarily and freely. He too was found guilty. However, Daniel Ojo was acquitted for lack of substantial evidence against him.

On Oba Adeniran, the Crown Counsel submitted that evidence showed that he not only had the intention to kill, but also participated in the ritual murder of baby Adediwura. He directed the court to the evidence of Ojo Olofa, and Owomobi. The prosecutor further urged the court to take into consideration the demeanor of the Oba which portrayed him as a person with a guilty mind. However, his lawyer, Chief Awolowo argued that the fact that the Oba assisted the parents of the deceased and the parents during the search for the baby is enough to clear him of guilt. Chief Awolowo maintained that as an Oba, there are some elements in the town that wanted to deal with him. The lawyer said all the evidence against his client was circumstantial. However Justice Pollard did not agree with the lawyer. He said that his evidence that some people in the town had vowed to implicate him in the murder was an afterthought that holds no water. The trial judge thereafter found him guilty, and sentenced him to death with the other accused persons.

The accused persons however appealed the decision of the trial court before the West African Court of Appeal (WACA) where the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Verity presided with two other justices. After listening to both sides, the appellate court found the following: 1) Although the disappearance of the child was reported to the Oba early in the afternoon, he as the head of the town did nothing until twilight; 2) Five days after the disappearance, the Oba sent for the constable to say he had information that the child will be found at the forest near CMS compound. 3) Upon the arrest of Enoch Falayi, he ordered his release because he claimed that Falayi was his “doctor”. 4) The corps found the mutilated body exactly where the Oba said the police would found it. The court maintained that even though these findings were circumstantial,the statements of other accused persons, and the ones read to him by the police which he confirmed, have already proved his guilt. The court particularly quoted Gabriel Olaberinjo,s statement read to the Oba by Sergeant Agbabiaka which the Oba did not deny. The statement reads: “I was in the palace of Alaaye of Efon at night, I saw Enoch carry one girl under his gown into the palace. He placed the girl under the staircase in the palace… Enoch left to call Alaaye… Alaaye came and saw the girl. He said Enoch should do her as he said he would do her… He carried the cigarette tin(in which the eyes and tongue) to Oba Alaaye… The following night Oba Alaaye asked whether the corpse of the girl had been cleared….” Justice Verity then concluded: “With acceptance of that statement as evidence of tacit admission of the facts therein, there is not only ample corroboration of the evidence… it goes further and is evidence of admission of facts from which no other conclusion is possible than that the appellant counseled and procured the murder of this child and was rightly found guilty thereof” Oba Adeniran, his herbalist- Falayi and one of his servants and Gabriel Olaberinjo were subsequently hanged.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by chrisgurl(f): 11:00am On Feb 22, 2015
Wow..I read all of it

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by Sleekydee(m): 11:11am On Feb 22, 2015
Yippie....Victory is mine.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 11:13am On Feb 22, 2015
chrisgurl:
Wow..I read all of it
Well done. It wasn't a wasted effort.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 11:14am On Feb 22, 2015
Sleekydee:
Yippie....Victory is mine.
Me too
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by chrisgurl(f): 11:17am On Feb 22, 2015
freeDR:
Well done. It wasn't a wasted effort.
yea, It wasn't smiley
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by pweshboi(m): 11:26am On Feb 22, 2015
Ok... I finished d whole article, mehn *whew* I guess this era was when justice was being uphold but now.... *i rest my case*

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by GBTYO: 11:43am On Feb 22, 2015
Osun is a voodoo enclave of ritual abductions and killings

No wonder they have a voodoo alfa as governor who not only urged his fellow osunites to arm themselves with charms but also saw a spike in his state of ritual killings during the runup to the polls

Yorubas are fetish see how Awolowo and Bode Thoms played the devil's advocate.

a

6 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by GBTYO: 11:51am On Feb 22, 2015
Meanwhile, 60 yrs later the people of osun have as governor a voodoo marabou who combines islamic mystiscm and traditional fetish religion and whose primary affiliations and links to tinubu is based on a customer client relationship

4 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by meforyou1(m): 11:56am On Feb 22, 2015
Wow, what a captivating story, though sad. Believe you me, if it were now, that Oba would have been a freed man

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by Faibuhari: 12:04pm On Feb 22, 2015
Where is that kestolove, he should come and see that ritual killings knows no boundaries in Africa society.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 12:16pm On Feb 22, 2015
GBTYO:

No wonder they have a voodoo alfa as governor who not only urged his fellow osunites to arm themselves with charms but also saw a spike in his state of ritual killings during the runup to the polls

a
The town of Efon-Alaaye is in Ekiti. Also, Awolowo and Bode Thomas were only doing their job.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 12:18pm On Feb 22, 2015
meforyou1:
Wow, what a captivating story, though sad. Believe you me, if it were now, that Oba would have been a freed man
I wouldn't argue that.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by OAUTemitayo: 12:23pm On Feb 22, 2015
Seems you need a rest at Aro.
GBTYO:

a
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by GBTYO: 12:26pm On Feb 22, 2015
OAUTemitayo:
Seems you need a rest at Aro.
Google Thames Ritual killing the first ever recorded voodoo killings on British soil committed by your fetish jobbless brethren in the UK

Mumu

5 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by PassingShot(m): 12:46pm On Feb 22, 2015
Thank you OP.

We need more threads of "isele nla" like this one.

Good to know that justice was served on the Oba.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by GogetterMD(m): 12:55pm On Feb 22, 2015
Pls where is your source? Would like to read more stories of our pre-independence judiciary, and how effective it was compared to today's hogwash we call judiciary that can be bought or intimidated by the powerful

2 Likes

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by meforyou1(m): 1:05pm On Feb 22, 2015
freeDR:
The town of Efon-Alaaye is in Ekiti. Also, Awolowo and Bode Thomas were only doing their job.
can't blame awolowo in any way. Every accused has the right to have a lawyer for his defence

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 22, 2015
Wow! shocked I'm actually serving in efon alaaye town in ekiti state. I never knew such sh*t went down here. Na wa o! God help us all.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by 2fine2fast(m): 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2015
Such a priceless piece
CSI Efon-Alaaye on point.
NIGERIA shall be Great Again.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 3:38pm On Feb 22, 2015
PassingShot:
Thank you OP.

We need more threads of "isele nla" like this one.

Good to know that justice was served on the Oba.
Thanks buddy
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:00pm On Feb 22, 2015
If it were today, I doubt the judgment would end this way.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by tit(f): 5:01pm On Feb 22, 2015
coollabman:
Wow! shocked I'm actually serving in efon alaaye town in ekiti state. I never knew such sh*t went down here. Na wa o! God help us all.

watch your head oo.
some of this people are still around.
keep your head in a safe place before you sleep.

1 Like

Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
tit:

watch your head oo.
some of this people are still around.
keep your head in a safe place before you sleep.

I will! Thanks a lot
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by KDJ: 10:15am On Jun 04, 2016
[/i]GBTYO:

Yorubas are fetish see how Awolowo and Bode Thoms played the devil's advocate

[/b]

[i]Before you go ahead to make unfounded accusations, please try to do your homework. First and foremost, you need a lesson in geography and thereafter another lesson in tribalism ( going by your statements thus far, you strike me as a bitter tribalistic idiot) so I believe that this lessons will not be a bad idea, tribalism will only hinder your growth in life!
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by sinkhole: 10:42am On Jun 04, 2016
great historical piece! OP, could u please link us to where u got this?
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by sobmos(m): 12:03pm On Apr 02, 2017
I read this article in 2017. Just passed through efon alaaye. Omw to Ibadan. Nice piece
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by donratcock: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2017
The era when there was justice
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by juman(m): 1:25pm On Apr 02, 2017
freeDR:

Try to make it in to paragraphs.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by freeDR(m): 2:21pm On Apr 02, 2017
[quote author=juman post=55190244][/quote]
Done
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by juman(m): 2:25pm On Apr 02, 2017
freeDR:

Done

Okay.
Re: The Story Behind The Death Sentence Of An Oba(alaaye Of Efon-alaaye) In 1949. by juman(m): 2:30pm On Apr 02, 2017
freeDR:
I stumbled on this piece and decided to share with fellow Nairalanders.

OBA SENTENCED TO DEATH FOR RITUAL KILLING Published By: Mustapha Ogunsakin Efon Alaaye, the hilly and rocky boarder town between today’s Osun and Ekiti states is one of the ancient towns of Yorubaland.

Like most towns in the same town, Efon Alaaye traces its roots to the cradle of Yoruba civilization, Ile- Ife. Life was as usual, rustic, with everyone been his brother’s keeper. However something very strange happened in the sunny afternoon of January 10, 1949 that threw the whole town into turmoil.

Adediwura, a 15 month old baby was playing within the compound of his father, Ojo, when she suddenly disappeared. After a fruitless search in the compound, the mother could no longer bear the thoughts of her child been missing.

She entered the afternoon sun and started shouting, throwing herself to the ground and weeping, and claiming that her daughter had been kidnapped.

The husband and other members of the compound met briefly and decided to immediately inform the Alaaye of Efon, Oba Samuel Adeniran. Kabiyesi too, after several hours, organized a search party to recover the missing child. This however did not yield any fruitful result.

The police too got involved in the case and the authorities sent to Lagos for help from the Central Investigations Department (CID) On the February 10, 1949, a team of detectives arrived Efon Alaaye.

They are Chief Inspector Aruah, Sergeants Sule Agbabiaka and Olawaiye; and Constable Ariyo. They immediately set to work and within 48 hours, they established that Adediwura may have been a victim of ritual murder.

On St Valentine’ day 1949 (Monday February 14), the case was given national prominence as it was reported by the Daily Times Newspaper. Shortly after, the detectives arrested three suspects in connection with the murder. They are Enoch Falayi, Gabriel Olaberinjo, and Daniel Ojo. Falayi was a native doctor, and consultant to the Alaaye, while the other two were his messengers.

Coronary inquest to the murder started at the Obokungbusi Hall, Ilesa in early April under Magistrate W. O Egbuna who was in charge of the area. During police investigations,one of the accused persons mentioned the involvement of Oba Adeniran and he was promptly arrested.

At the inquest, the Crown was represented by Mr Llyod Crow. Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Olu Alakija represented Oba Adeniran while Bode Thomas represented Olaberinjo and Abiodun Akerele represented Falayi. Chief Awolowo also represented Ojo.

The coroner’s inquest eventually established that baby Adediwura was murdered by the accused persons and charges of murder was preferred against the Oba and the three other accused persons. The case was then transferred to Akure High Court. The trial judge was Justice N.S Pollard. Twenty one witnesses gave evidence.

One of the witnesses, Aina Ola stated that it was Enoch Falayi, the herbalist to Oba Adeniran that kidnapped Adediwura and hid her under his Agbada. Owomobi, Falayi’s wife also gave evidence that the child was kept at their house and in the night she was forced to put the child on her back to the house of the second accused, Gabriel Olaberinjo. Ojo Olofa testified that the child was taken to the palace the following day where she was butchered in the presence of the Oba.

The Oba, he said, brought out kolanuts and sworn them to secrecy. He further testified that at the palace, the eyes and the tongue of the child were taken by the first and second accused through a door that leads to the Oba’s living quarters.

The dismembered body was then taken to the forest around the CMS church and buried by there. It was in this forest that the police discovered the body. After all the witnesses gave their evidence, the Crown counsel, Mr Crow submitted that the statements of the three major witnesses – Aina Ola, Owomobi and Ojo Olofa was sufficient for the conviction of Falayi, the herbalist. But the defence counsels argued that the three witnesses were accomplices and as such, their evidence needs to be corroborated.

However, the trial judge, Justice Pollard ruled that he was satisfied that Aina Ola cannot be treated as an accomplice and therefore, her evidenced is enough corroboration of the concealment of Adediwura at Falayi’s house and subsequent transfer to the palace. Falayi was thereafter found guilty. Crown Counsel Crow also submitted that the confessional statement of Gabriel Olaberinjo and Ojo Olofa’s evidence was a complete corroboration of the second accused person’s guilt.

However, his lawyer, Bode Thomas argued that his client made the statement under duress, and therefore could not be accepted as evidence.

But Justice Pollard held otherwise. The judge said that he was satisfied that the accused evidence was made voluntarily and freely. He too was found guilty. However, Daniel Ojo was acquitted for lack of substantial evidence against him.

On Oba Adeniran, the Crown Counsel submitted that evidence showed that he not only had the intention to kill, but also participated in the ritual murder of baby Adediwura. He directed the court to the evidence of Ojo Olofa, and Owomobi. The prosecutor further urged the court to take into consideration the demeanor of the Oba which portrayed him as a person with a guilty mind.

However, his lawyer, Chief Awolowo argued that the fact that the Oba assisted the parents of the deceased and the parents during the search for the baby is enough to clear him of guilt.

Chief Awolowo maintained that as an Oba, there are some elements in the town that wanted to deal with him. The lawyer said all the evidence against his client was circumstantial.

However Justice Pollard did not agree with the lawyer. He said that his evidence that some people in the town had vowed to implicate him in the murder was an afterthought that holds no water. The trial judge thereafter found him guilty, and sentenced him to death with the other accused persons.

The accused persons however appealed the decision of the trial court before the West African Court of Appeal (WACA) where the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Verity presided with two other justices.

After listening to both sides, the appellate court found the following: 1) Although the disappearance of the child was reported to the Oba early in the afternoon, he as the head of the town did nothing until twilight; 2) Five days after the disappearance, the Oba sent for the constable to say he had information that the child will be found at the forest near CMS compound. 3) Upon the arrest of Enoch Falayi, he ordered his release because he claimed that Falayi was his “doctor”. 4) The corps found the mutilated body exactly where the Oba said the police would found it.

The court maintained that even though these findings were circumstantial,the statements of other accused persons, and the ones read to him by the police which he confirmed, have already proved his guilt. The court particularly quoted Gabriel Olaberinjo,s statement read to the Oba by Sergeant Agbabiaka which the Oba did not deny.

The statement reads: “I was in the palace of Alaaye of Efon at night, I saw Enoch carry one girl under his gown into the palace. He placed the girl under the staircase in the palace… Enoch left to call Alaaye… Alaaye came and saw the girl. He said Enoch should do her as he said he would do her… He carried the cigarette tin(in which the eyes and tongue) to Oba Alaaye…

The following night Oba Alaaye asked whether the corpse of the girl had been cleared….” Justice Verity then concluded: “With acceptance of that statement as evidence of tacit admission of the facts therein, there is not only ample corroboration of the evidence… it goes further and is evidence of admission of facts from which no other conclusion is possible than that the appellant counseled and procured the murder of this child and was rightly found guilty thereof” Oba Adeniran, his herbalist- Falayi and one of his servants and Gabriel Olaberinjo were subsequently hanged.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Queen Elizabeth Honours Ahmed Adamu (Photos) / BREAKING: Lagos Assembly Sets Up Committee To Probe Ambode / El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Vision Is Uninterrupted Electricity Within Seven Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.