Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,963 members, 7,952,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:48 AM

Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration (815 Views)

2018 Lincoln Navigator Is Lighter, Faster And Roomier (photos) / The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini / Does Petrol Burn Faster From Some Stations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by nurey(m): 8:53am On Feb 24, 2015
A saloon car and a full size SUV

Saloon car
Inline 4 cylinder with 175hp weighing 1115kg 0-62mph in 8.8secs with a top speed of 220km/h.

And

A full size suv
V12 with 450hp weighing 2455kg 0-62mph 6.8secs with a top speed of 220km/h

Will the full size suv get there faster considering the Hp advantage and 0-62 time frame or will it be hindered considering the amount of weight the hp has to push. Please I need a break down answer.
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by lonelydora: 9:58am On Feb 24, 2015
I think the V12 will get there faster. Will break my opinion down during break time.

Another interesting topic. Waiting to learn from #DoroBosses.
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by chuka5000(m): 10:17am On Feb 24, 2015
Considering the weight and handling of the suv I'll preferably go with the salon. But theres hardly an I4 salon of that weight and hp that'll do only 62miles in 7 seconds
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by 9icetoo(m): 12:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
It depends on the race course. If its a straight line dash, based on the 0-62 times, the SUV should win. If its on a twisty and winding road, the saloon might win. races are never really about 0-62 numbers printed about by manufacturers or about HP. Torque and torque distribution through the rev range are also serious factors to consider and they come to play when twisting roads come into play.
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
9icetoo:
It depends on the race course. If its a straight line dash, based on the 0-62 times, the SUV should win. If its on a twisty and winding road, the saloon might win. races are never really about 0-62 numbers printed about by manufacturers or about HP. Torque and torque distribution through the rev range are also serious factors to consider and they come to play when twisting roads come into play.

Yes, you're right. Don't forget drive gear ratios matter too. Shape of vehicle matters too. At 180km/hr, I see the SUV struggling due to its mass, its dimensions, and wind resistance.

Don't forget, there are Sports coupes and sedans with i4 engines which are very fast.
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by laivwire(m): 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2015
9icetoo:

Im cofused, Im seeing a shorter 0-62 on the SUV, that alone promises faster acceleration from bends than the saloon. We should also consider suspension types and if the SUV is an AWD as against FWD of most saloons.
The saloon should actually have more levergae on a straight line dash due to the low weight. I need some education please.
Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 24, 2015
the SUV will reach it's maximum speed way before the sedan. Yes, the SUV is heavier, but weight does NOT really hinder top speed, it blunts acceleration. As it's already broken the 0-60mph barrier, the greater torque will overcome mass.

We don't know what the SUV's shape is like, but a modern SUV with 450hp will not be shaped like a brick, so aerodynamics won't be an issue here. The sedan will possibly have the edge in a chicane, or twisty roads due to the lower centre of gravity. But again, modern SUV's handle better than some sedans or hatches. Most will squat at speeds above 70mph (the suspension drops to its lowest setting) to improve aerodynamics.

In the same way, some sedans may be quick in a straight line, but suck when there are hairpin bends to tackle, especially if the suspension is non-active, and geared more for comfort.

1 Like

Re: Please Which Is Faster In This Two Configuration by nurey(m): 5:37pm On Feb 24, 2015
I asked this questions to clear my doubt because I know some hefty suvs are very fast and have the 0-62mph time better or faster than some cars, but people will always argue about curb to weight ratio and size of the suv. I am just trying to know whether the time the manufacturer of an suv says its car can reach 0-62mph they have factored in curb weight, size of the suv and other necessary parameters that hinder speed/acceleration.

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed: Clear SRS Code From Mercedes R350 / Rolls-royce Wraith St. James Edition Is The Most Powerful Rolls-royce Ever / Sos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.