Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,005 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians (21856 Views)

Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) / I Don't Know The Gods As Well As Nigerians But I Know Baba Sango / In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Immarshall: 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thats why we will march 4 buhari.does War against indiscpline ring a bell?

#VoteoutGej

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by AgentXxx(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by lordprosh(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
noted
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by kayojosephy(m): 12:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
When we talk Culture, it is not easy changing from one way of life to another, it is the naija way of life nd its hard changing dat.... But I believe dere will be a NIGERIA devoid of all dese ..... #TheDreamIsOnForABetterNigeria......
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by ShakurM(m): 12:26pm On Feb 25, 2015
bushdoc9919:

And booking space.
Officer no vex.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Supporting corrupt leaders....

buhari!
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Saucekide25(m): 12:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
GET AMAZING DISCOUNTS AND SWIFT DELIVERY WHEN YOU ORDER ITEMS ON JUMIA.COM [Pay on Delivery]...TO PLACE YOUR ORDERS CALL or WHATSAPP (08122204769)or E-MAIL me via (EONUEGBU1@GMAIL.COM).[/quote]
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by esbjaygmailco(m): 12:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
I'll be ok with OP as far as hustling is not there
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
ShakurM:
Officer no vex.

Park properly!
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Uchizzy(m): 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2015
oga OP
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2015
Number 1 is annoying everywhere - you can never stop all the bad drivers. Even in places with CCTV/number plate readers and speed cameras people still elect to drive like morons.

Number 3 and 4 are annoying in Nigeria, more so because people will then cry about 'government' not doing anything not realizing that it is the occupier/owner in combination with all the fly-tippers that has caused the nearby roads to become flooded.

Number 3 is particularly silly when you consider all the water borne diseases that the poor Nigerians have to deal with. The fact that standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes and the like should cause people to understand that proper drainage should be a priority.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 12:40pm On Feb 25, 2015
Samguine:
Thank you @op. Though I believe the list should be more than those listed above. Nigerians have such bad habits thick in their blood streams. We shout our government is corrupt, yet the government consists of people who were chosen from within us. We don't love nor care for one another, civil servants handle their jobs with levity, business people cut corners, contracts are inflated, market women cheat their customers, students cheat in their exams, teachers sleep with their students, even our religious leaders accept bribes. It's saddening.

Change can't start from the top. It starts with you and me. Let us decide that no matter the circumstances or situation we find ourselves, we would always do the right thing.

Thank you.

Wish I could give you all the 'likes' in the world. Well said, and its exactly the message I'm trying to spread. Change begins with us, in our daily lives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Chuksgeo: 12:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
Also ensuring that there are no form of touts on our roads.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by tuagbo: 12:44pm On Feb 25, 2015
Habeebpain:

1.Breaking Traffic Laws: You know you are breaking the law by driving in the opposite direction of traffic but you feel it will get you to your destination faster and you go ahead with your plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn’t and you end up causing a traffic jam and wasting the time of other road users.

It is annoying when as Nigerians we scream for change but we are not willing to start with ourselves. You see stupid drivers breaking traffic laws and still claim that they are right. It’s a pity there’s no true test of driving skills in Nigeria or else a lot of drivers would have had their licences seized.

2. Erecting Large Signposts at Junctions and Bends: I think there’s a shortage of sensible people at the agencies that grant permits for signposts because I see no reason why a signpost should be erected in such a way that it prevents drivers from seeing vehicles coming at a bend or junction. Sometimes you even have multiple signposts at a place with each one trying to overshadow the other. Don’t we learn anything from “Oyinbo” movies? Can’t you see that their signposts are usually tall and on a single pole when placed at a junction or bend?

3. Refusing to construct proper sewage system for your house: This one is very annoying. People will build houses and not make arrangement for drainage. All they do is make a small channel that takes all bodily fluids and “yamayama” water to the main road filling the whole neighbourhood with stench. Some people are even worse, they throw their wash water on the main road even though there’s a gutter in front of the house. And when you call their attention to the damage they are causing, they see you as an enemy. I think all CDAs should make it a law that landlords must make provision for proper sewage disposal. Whoever fails to do so should be fined and of he/she refuses, they should report to the appropriate authorities.

Apart from the fact that it is an unhygienic act that can lead to outbreak of diseases and infections, it also damages the roads. Some roads are always wet even though it hasn’t rained in months. We complain that the government doesn’t build good roads but when they do we fail to maintain them.

4. Throwing litter anywhere we deem fit: majority of Nigerians are bad at disposal. We throw away our trash anywhere we think is right: on the road, in the drainage, schools, even mosques and churches aren’t left out. This is a very bad attitude we need to stop.
I know the waste disposal system is very poor in Nigeria as most of the masses live in areas that are “inaccessible” to waste trucks. But we can still strive to keep our environment clean. It costs you nothing to put that sweet or biscuit wrapper in your pocket or in a corner of your bag till you get to a place where there is a bin. It might seem like a little thing to do but I believe when the little ones see you doing so they’ll emulate it.

5. Selling on the road/Pedestrians route: This one is terribly annoying. I will divide this into 2 groups. One, those who setup their wares/goods on the road leaving the pedestrian walkway behind them and those who extend their shops and block the road meant for pedestrians.
These two sets of people endanger their lives and that of pedestrians. Imagine you are trying to dodge a motorcycle that is headed your way and instead of climbing on to the pavement meant for pedestrians you bump right into the fish seller who has set up her stall on the pavement. Unfortunately for you, your head is placed directly in front of her as she brings down the cleaver to cut the fish….. I hope you get the picture.
The pedestrian route is meant for walking not for selling. If you know someone who does this, please correct them. I know they are trying to survive in this harsh economy but two wrongs don’t make a right.

These are the 5 annoying things Nigerians do. I actually have more but these 5 are top on the list.
6.Opening churches and mosques unnecessarily thereby compounding more noise pollution in the vicinity of human inhabitants.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by PidginYarns: 12:45pm On Feb 25, 2015
Op, u no include 'I better pass my neighbour' generator
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Misogynist2014(m): 12:47pm On Feb 25, 2015
6). Stop practicing the blood sucking religion called Islam.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 12:48pm On Feb 25, 2015
tuagbo:

6.Opening churches and mosques unnecessarily thereby compounding more noise pollution in the vicinity of human inhabitants.

Good addition.

I wish there was some form of restrictive license needed to open a church or mosque - maybe even a system similar to what they have in Angola to stem the tide of new churches popping up everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 12:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
6). Stop practicing the blood sucking religion called Islam.

Can we get rid of Xtianity too?

We can do without both so long as we are willing to educate everyone.

This would begin with convincing certain people how beneficial it can be to know how to learn and how to educate yourself which is very easy to do in the internet era.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Faraidi(m): 12:53pm On Feb 25, 2015
Habeebpain:

1.Breaking Traffic Laws: You know you are breaking the law by driving in the opposite direction of traffic but you feel it will get you to your destination faster and you go ahead with your plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn’t and you end up causing a traffic jam and wasting the time of other road users.

It is annoying when as Nigerians we scream for change but we are not willing to start with ourselves. You see stupid drivers breaking traffic laws and still claim that they are right. It’s a pity there’s no true test of driving skills in Nigeria or else a lot of drivers would have had their licences seized.

2. Erecting Large Signposts at Junctions and Bends: I think there’s a shortage of sensible people at the agencies that grant permits for signposts because I see no reason why a signpost should be erected in such a way that it prevents drivers from seeing vehicles coming at a bend or junction. Sometimes you even have multiple signposts at a place with each one trying to overshadow the other. Don’t we learn anything from “Oyinbo” movies? Can’t you see that their signposts are usually tall and on a single pole when placed at a junction or bend?

3. Refusing to construct proper sewage system for your house: This one is very annoying. People will build houses and not make arrangement for drainage. All they do is make a small channel that takes all bodily fluids and “yamayama” water to the main road filling the whole neighbourhood with stench. Some people are even worse, they throw their wash water on the main road even though there’s a gutter in front of the house. And when you call their attention to the damage they are causing, they see you as an enemy. I think all CDAs should make it a law that landlords must make provision for proper sewage disposal. Whoever fails to do so should be fined and of he/she refuses, they should report to the appropriate authorities.

Apart from the fact that it is an unhygienic act that can lead to outbreak of diseases and infections, it also damages the roads. Some roads are always wet even though it hasn’t rained in months. We complain that the government doesn’t build good roads but when they do we fail to maintain them.

4. Throwing litter anywhere we deem fit: majority of Nigerians are bad at disposal. We throw away our trash anywhere we think is right: on the road, in the drainage, schools, even mosques and churches aren’t left out. This is a very bad attitude we need to stop.
I know the waste disposal system is very poor in Nigeria as most of the masses live in areas that are “inaccessible” to waste trucks. But we can still strive to keep our environment clean. It costs you nothing to put that sweet or biscuit wrapper in your pocket or in a corner of your bag till you get to a place where there is a bin. It might seem like a little thing to do but I believe when the little ones see you doing so they’ll emulate it.

5. Selling on the road/Pedestrians route: This one is terribly annoying. I will divide this into 2 groups. One, those who setup their wares/goods on the road leaving the pedestrian walkway behind them and those who extend their shops and block the road meant for pedestrians.
These two sets of people endanger their lives and that of pedestrians. Imagine you are trying to dodge a motorcycle that is headed your way and instead of climbing on to the pavement meant for pedestrians you bump right into the fish seller who has set up her stall on the pavement. Unfortunately for you, your head is placed directly in front of her as she brings down the cleaver to cut the fish….. I hope you get the picture.
The pedestrian route is meant for walking not for selling. If you know someone who does this, please correct them. I know they are trying to survive in this harsh economy but two wrongs don’t make a right.

These are the 5 annoying things Nigerians do. I actually have more but these 5 are top on the list.
we don hear! Next
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Misogynist2014(m): 12:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
mmsen:

Can we get rid of Xtianity too?

We can do without both so long as we are willing to educate everyone.

This would begin with convincing certain people how beneficial it can be to know how to learn and how to educate yourself which is very easy to do in the internet era.

We can't get rid of Christianity. The west is an example of what effects it will have on the society.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
We can't get rid of Christianity. The west is an example of what effects it will have on the society.

Western nations were practicing religious and ethnic bigotry; slavery; invading foreign lands to steal resources and maintaining class systems that excluded the majority of their citizens all the while proclaiming 'Xtianity'.

The Dark Ages in Europe took place when the power of the Vatican was left unchecked.

Please do not allow yourself to be deceived, Islam and Xtianity are different sides of the same wooden coin.

The West is going down the toilet because they have made it a policy decision to destroy the family in order to strengthen the power of the state and allow businesses to profit from their misery.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Lovexme(m): 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
Crossing an expressway just directly under a pedestrian bridge. undecided

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nickymezor(f): 1:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
Spot on OP...well said.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Johnjack: 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2015
Top on the list and most important of them all is that we should stop supporting no -certificate presidential candidate.
Also we should urgently stop inviting a standard six certificate holder to come and rule millions of graduates,phd holders,etc.
He should rule in Sambisa forest or better still in Almajiri districts.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Mollybobog1(m): 1:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
we r so poor at managing our waste n it poses as major threat to health, n also leads to environmental degradation, we should all cultivate d habit of disposing waste properly n we should be educated abt waste management..........if u wanna know how other states of d world managed their wastes in d past till current then watch TRASHOPOLIS daily on discovery channel by 11pm, you'll appreciate clean environment
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Misogynist2014(m): 1:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
mmsen:

Western nations were practicing religious and ethnic bigotry; slavery; invading foreign lands to steal resources and maintaining class systems that excluded the majority of their citizens all the while proclaiming 'Xtianity'.

The Dark Ages in Europe took place when the power of the Vatican was left unchecked.

Please do not allow yourself to be deceived, Islam and Xtianity are different sides of the same wooden coin.

The West is going down the toilet because they have made it a policy decision to destroy the family in order to strengthen the power of the government and allow businesses to profit from their misery.
Slavery is as old as mankind itself. Morality in the west died the day the traditional Christian background of those countries died. As for the actions of the Vatican, I think unlike ISIS, they have no justification for their actions in NT, their actions even spread out to the persecution of the Baptist Churches, even today, the Pope still remains the most influential man on earth.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by dubemivan(m): 1:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
Every Nigerian is clamouring for change but the truth is... It begins with you and I! We are the architect of our own lives, the change we desire starts in our mindset which in turn infleunces our attitude to align with our dream of better Nigeria. I learnt the western world was as it is today due to the effort and toils of their forefathers who travailed and work hard for the development and good life their current generation are now enjoying! We can build our society to match our dreams and not keeep complaining about what Government isnt doing.
#ChangeYourMentality#

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by nairabetguru(m): 1:44pm On Feb 25, 2015
Habeebpain:

as for me oooOOOOOOoooo the only thing Nigerians should stop doing is Voting for PDP come March 2015

Simple as that wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church / 'Lop-sided Appointments Responsible For Disunity In Nigeria' - Sultan Of Sokoto / M-NET FINALLY LAUNCHES AFRICA MAGIC IGBO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.