Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians (21853 Views)

Oba Akiolu Snubs Ooni Ogunwusi As Nigerians React (Photo) / I Don't Know The Gods As Well As Nigerians But I Know Baba Sango / In This Market Villagers Must Stop Selling By 12 Noon. Check Out Why! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2015
I hereby recommend this post for publication in our dailies and laws regarding the excecution of these observations should be enacted with immediate effect.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by betterabia: 2:02pm On Feb 25, 2015
we must stop stealing and corruption in our federal medical centers

Contractors in FMC Umuahia has not been paid for the goods they supplied for the past one year.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Habeebpain(m): 2:46pm On Feb 25, 2015
Thanks a lot for your comments. Although there are some comments that are completely out of point.

Religion is very sensitive but the truth must be told. For churches and mosques, I think there should be a rule governing their construction. It doesn't make any sense having 2 mosques beside each other. I'll rather give out my money into the expansion of the first one than constructing a new one. That way you'll have a standard and complete mosque instead of 2 incomplete ones.

When it comes to churches, it's a different ball game. there are so many denominations that every one wants to build a church. It's really annoying.

To sum it up, change begins with you and I. From the bottom to the top and not top to the bottom.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 2:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Slavery is as old as mankind itself. Morality in the west died the day the traditional Christian background of those countries died. As for the actions of the Vatican, I think unlike ISIS, they have no justification for their actions in NT, their actions even spread out to the persecution of the Baptist Churches, even today, the Pope still remains the most influential man on earth.

If you are claiming that Xtianity is so wonderful then it would have stopped the European propensity for the mistreatment (including) the enslavement of human beings; the theft of land on every continent.

If Xtianity was so wonderful the Catholic Church would never have gone through the repulsive child-sex scandal nor the various financial scandals.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by DeRuggedProf: 2:57pm On Feb 25, 2015
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by DeRuggedProf: 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Misogynist2014(m): 3:18pm On Feb 25, 2015
mmsen:

If you are claiming that Xtianity is so wonderful then it would have stopped the European propensity for the mistreatment (including) the enslavement of human beings; the theft of land on every continent.

If Xtianity was so wonderful the Catholic Church would never have gone through the repulsive child-sex scandal nor the various financial scandals.

IF YOU ARE OPPORTUNED TO READ THE BIBLE, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND ALL THESE YOU HAVE WRITTEN. WHERE GOD TALKED ABOUT HOW EVIL ISTRAEL HAD BECOME, EVEN AFTER DEALING HARD WITH THEM, GOD TALKED ABOUT EVIL PEOPLE, WHO WOULD SAY THEY'VE HEARD FROM HIM, WHO LIED LIKE PHARISEES AND DECIEVED THE PEOPLE. EVEN WHEN THE LAWS WERE WRITTEN DOWN, ISTRAELITES STILL FELL SHORT. KNOWING GOD WILL NOT CLEAR SIN FROM A WHOLE NATION, IT WILL ONLY INSTILL CONSCIENCE, WHICH IMPEDES FURTHER ROTTENNESS.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by mmsen: 3:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
Misogynist2014:
IF YOU ARE OPPORTUNED TO READ THE BIBLE, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND ALL THESE YOU HAVE WRITTEN. WHERE GOD TALKED ABOUT HOW EVIL ISTRAEL HAD BECOME, EVEN AFTER DEALING HARD WITH THEM, GOD TALKED ABOUT EVIL PEOPLE, WHO WOULD SAY THEY'VE HEARD FROM HIM, WHO LIED LIKE PHARISEES AND DECIEVED THE PEOPLE. EVEN WHEN THE LAWS WERE WRITTEN DOWN, ISTRAELITES STILL FELL SHORT. KNOWING GOD WILL NOT CLEAR SIN FROM A WHOLE NATION, IT WILL ONLY INSTILL CONSCIENCE, WHICH IMPEDES FURTHER ROTTENNESS.

I have read the Bible, more than once.

I know bullshit when I see it.

The simple truth is - Xtianity is popular because it has provided an avenue for some people to grab power and further mislead.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by joshrare(m): 3:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
Stop african time and be punctual
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by donodion(m): 4:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
As I'm not a really a fan of Buhari despite I want an end to the era of these ' Lootocrats'...Bihari and Idiagbon military regime was one I wouls never forget.
The set the civil service commissions and workers straight as in eh....I could remember then at Secretariat Ibadan,late government workers were drilled and openly taught harsh lessons.In 3 days of state TV transmission every civil servants buckled up.No more late coming.People queue at Bus stops without argument.That's the administration that could effectively effect change in Nigeria.

Insurgency today have a foothold simply because Nigerians and their government listen mostly to "force". MEND, Book Haram.

To effect such positive changes ops highlighted,it goes beyond passing bills,enact it with byelaw.Make some as public example,everybody else will conform.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by hamilton62(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hysmady:
Naija will always be naija...
Na today?

Only a disciplined government can stop these abnormalities!
Vote4change,Vote wisely
Was Nigeria America when that your discipline Government presided?
Keep your change... The only change we need is for within us but we will definitely march forward!

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by otiigba1(m): 5:11pm On Feb 25, 2015
I agree %1000
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 25, 2015
Unfortunately, those things CAN NOT be stopped until a stiff penalty is paid by those who do them to serve as deterrent to others.

No amount of public enlightenment or stupid government appeal will stop or minimize it.

The government should rise up to its responsibilities. angry
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
ebenezer4o2:
I hereby recommend this post for publication in our dailies and laws regarding the excecution of these observations should be enacted with immediate effect.
Excellent recommendations. grin
It remains the person that would give a damn.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Dennybouy: 7:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
nigeria leaders be like who will bell the cat..
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Horlufemi(m): 7:59pm On Feb 25, 2015
I was at the bus stop waiting for a friend to pick me up. lo and behold, a bus drove in and a passenger alighted. Then a man just finished is bottle of water and threw it out. I lost my cool and shouted at the man. I asked him "Is that place a dustbin to u? don't you like how clean the place is? For what reason would you just drop you trash here?". Instead of the man to show remorse he started insulting me. I was really shocked and lost for words. I couldn't say anything as the bus drove off.

How many of us are like that man?

Honesty time.

How many of you littered the environment today? What quality of education did you have? Do u enjoy uncleanness? Nigerians will see a clean place and still litter everywhere. Its a simple shame.

Please every time you eat outside at least hold the litter till you see a dustbin or you dispose it in the dustbin in your house.

Be a true Nigerian and not those kind of Nigerian who will see light and call it darkness and see darkness and call it light.

Go and sin no more.

Remember Vote for change not mediocrity. we can't afford to lose Nigeria.

Sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Horlufemi(m): 8:03pm On Feb 25, 2015
0rex:
Unfortunately, those things CAN NOT be stopped until a stiff penalty is paid by those who do them to serve as deterrent to others.

No amount of public enlightenment or stupid government appeal will stop or minimize it.

The government should rise up to its responsibilities. angry

public enlightenment and a very serious incorruptible penalty system can fix it. penalties for corruption too. anything can be done when we have the need to do it.

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by peter4d2(m): 8:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
@op nice observatn n d 1 I'm most annoyed telling sum1 rite inside a bus 2 put wateva he eats inside it he gives d excuse dat if dey don't litter d road hw wuld dey knw d cleaners r working foolish ideology I tell u.

In nigeria all I knw is dat weneva sumfin or anything doesn't favor u we perceive dat thing 2 be outrighly wrong.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Memphis357(m): 9:50pm On Feb 25, 2015
koolg:
click like for Gej and share for GMB grin
You're just a dumb f*@k!!!!!
Seriously!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Topkush: 10:04pm On Feb 25, 2015
Habeebpain:

1.Breaking Traffic Laws: You know you are breaking the law by driving in the opposite direction of traffic but you feel it will get you to your destination faster and you go ahead with your plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn’t and you end up causing a traffic jam and wasting the time of other road users.

It is annoying when as Nigerians we scream for change but we are not willing to start with ourselves. You see stupid drivers breaking traffic laws and still claim that they are right. It’s a pity there’s no true test of driving skills in Nigeria or else a lot of drivers would have had their licences seized.

2. Erecting Large Signposts at Junctions and Bends: I think there’s a shortage of sensible people at the agencies that grant permits for signposts because I see no reason why a signpost should be erected in such a way that it prevents drivers from seeing vehicles coming at a bend or junction. Sometimes you even have multiple signposts at a place with each one trying to overshadow the other. Don’t we learn anything from “Oyinbo” movies? Can’t you see that their signposts are usually tall and on a single pole when placed at a junction or bend?

3. Refusing to construct proper sewage system for your house: This one is very annoying. People will build houses and not make arrangement for drainage. All they do is make a small channel that takes all bodily fluids and “yamayama” water to the main road filling the whole neighbourhood with stench. Some people are even worse, they throw their wash water on the main road even though there’s a gutter in front of the house. And when you call their attention to the damage they are causing, they see you as an enemy. I think all CDAs should make it a law that landlords must make provision for proper sewage disposal. Whoever fails to do so should be fined and of he/she refuses, they should report to the appropriate authorities.

Apart from the fact that it is an unhygienic act that can lead to outbreak of diseases and infections, it also damages the roads. Some roads are always wet even though it hasn’t rained in months. We complain that the government doesn’t build good roads but when they do we fail to maintain them.

4. Throwing litter anywhere we deem fit: majority of Nigerians are bad at disposal. We throw away our trash anywhere we think is right: on the road, in the drainage, schools, even mosques and churches aren’t left out. This is a very bad attitude we need to stop.
I know the waste disposal system is very poor in Nigeria as most of the masses live in areas that are “inaccessible” to waste trucks. But we can still strive to keep our environment clean. It costs you nothing to put that sweet or biscuit wrapper in your pocket or in a corner of your bag till you get to a place where there is a bin. It might seem like a little thing to do but I believe when the little ones see you doing so they’ll emulate it.

5. Selling on the road/Pedestrians route: This one is terribly annoying. I will divide this into 2 groups. One, those who setup their wares/goods on the road leaving the pedestrian walkway behind them and those who extend their shops and block the road meant for pedestrians.
These two sets of people endanger their lives and that of pedestrians. Imagine you are trying to dodge a motorcycle that is headed your way and instead of climbing on to the pavement meant for pedestrians you bump right into the fish seller who has set up her stall on the pavement. Unfortunately for you, your head is placed directly in front of her as she brings down the cleaver to cut the fish….. I hope you get the picture.
The pedestrian route is meant for walking not for selling. If you know someone who does this, please correct them. I know they are trying to survive in this harsh economy but two wrongs don’t make a right.

These are the 5 annoying things Nigerians do. I actually have more but these 5 are top on the list.
To change I need we need a change in our laws or back to the military rule where people should be forced to change.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by success9(m): 1:41am On Feb 26, 2015
Habeebpain:

1.Breaking Traffic Laws: You know you are breaking the law by driving in the opposite direction of traffic but you feel it will get you to your destination faster and you go ahead with your plan. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn’t and you end up causing a traffic jam and wasting the time of other road users.

It is annoying when as Nigerians we scream for change but we are not willing to start with ourselves. You see stupid drivers breaking traffic laws and still claim that they are right. It’s a pity there’s no true test of driving skills in Nigeria or else a lot of drivers would have had their licences seized.

2. Erecting Large Signposts at Junctions and Bends: I think there’s a shortage of sensible people at the agencies that grant permits for signposts because I see no reason why a signpost should be erected in such a way that it prevents drivers from seeing vehicles coming at a bend or junction. Sometimes you even have multiple signposts at a place with each one trying to overshadow the other. Don’t we learn anything from “Oyinbo” movies? Can’t you see that their signposts are usually tall and on a single pole when placed at a junction or bend?

3. Refusing to construct proper sewage system for your house: This one is very annoying. People will build houses and not make arrangement for drainage. All they do is make a small channel that takes all bodily fluids and “yamayama” water to the main road filling the whole neighbourhood with stench. Some people are even worse, they throw their wash water on the main road even though there’s a gutter in front of the house. And when you call their attention to the damage they are causing, they see you as an enemy. I think all CDAs should make it a law that landlords must make provision for proper sewage disposal. Whoever fails to do so should be fined and of he/she refuses, they should report to the appropriate authorities.

Apart from the fact that it is an unhygienic act that can lead to outbreak of diseases and infections, it also damages the roads. Some roads are always wet even though it hasn’t rained in months. We complain that the government doesn’t build good roads but when they do we fail to maintain them.

4. Throwing litter anywhere we deem fit: majority of Nigerians are bad at disposal. We throw away our trash anywhere we think is right: on the road, in the drainage, schools, even mosques and churches aren’t left out. This is a very bad attitude we need to stop.
I know the waste disposal system is very poor in Nigeria as most of the masses live in areas that are “inaccessible” to waste trucks. But we can still strive to keep our environment clean. It costs you nothing to put that sweet or biscuit wrapper in your pocket or in a corner of your bag till you get to a place where there is a bin. It might seem like a little thing to do but I believe when the little ones see you doing so they’ll emulate it.

5. Selling on the road/Pedestrians route: This one is terribly annoying. I will divide this into 2 groups. One, those who setup their wares/goods on the road leaving the pedestrian walkway behind them and those who extend their shops and block the road meant for pedestrians.
These two sets of people endanger their lives and that of pedestrians. Imagine you are trying to dodge a motorcycle that is headed your way and instead of climbing on to the pavement meant for pedestrians you bump right into the fish seller who has set up her stall on the pavement. Unfortunately for you, your head is placed directly in front of her as she brings down the cleaver to cut the fish….. I hope you get the picture.
The pedestrian route is meant for walking not for selling. If you know someone who does this, please correct them. I know they are trying to survive in this harsh economy but two wrongs don’t make a right.

These are the 5 annoying things Nigerians do. I actually have more but these 5 are top on the list.

Another operation "KICK AGAINST INDISCIPLINE" perhaps?
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Fulaman198(m): 3:52am On Feb 26, 2015
Stop trying to copy Western nations, in the end Nigerians are Africans and we can only be ourselves and do things our own unique way.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by Jasperwhizz(m): 8:14am On Feb 26, 2015
GOD WILL HELP US IJN AMEN.
Re: Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians by seemples(f): 1:26pm On Oct 09, 2016
DeRuggedProf:
grin grin grin

Sir I've forwarded the mail

Kindly respond please

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thanksgiving Service Of Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, In Edo Church / Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? / 'Lop-sided Appointments Responsible For Disunity In Nigeria' - Sultan Of Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.