Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,929 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations (19839 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / Covenant University Suspends Students 3 Weeks To Exams / Madonna University, Okija, Suspends Over 200 Students For One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by kissangel1: 9:06am On Jan 09, 2009
Its so sad, over 500 students were suspended for 4 weeks after facing a panel which lasted well till over 10pm.

Offence: Late Resumption {were supposed to resume on Saturday the 3rd of January but some didn't show up till Monday the 5th}

These students are supposed to start their examinations on the 12th of January. My question is this, does Covenant university imply an automatic semester loss for the affected over 500 students.

lets bear in mind that there would be various reasons why some students didn't meet the date, like illness, family travel, money e.t.c and other unforeseen circumstances.

This is a school where mobile phones are not allowed, jeans trousers for even the males, and leaving the school premises without permission. people are expelled and suspended for holding hands with he opposite sex, and open admission of expelling and not admitting HIV positive people with their females students undergoing pregnancy tests before their final year examinations with an ultimate punishment of expulsion.

In as much as the school has very high standards, in terms of educational qualities, some of their policies are too obnoxious and one would wonder if there is an ulterior motive to their actions. These kids go to their chapel even as late as 11pm and 2 am in the morning for vigil, they are made to buy expensive food with tickets not less than 250 Naira. This kids are stripped of every sense of privacy and individuality and are developed as Helpless Robots

suspending and expelling at the university level for very irrelevant reasons is so painful and amounts to toying with the future of these kids, some of who have to start all over again especially with the social stigma attached to it. cant other forms of punishment be given instead of giving parents unnecessary high blood pressures. imagine living under such stringent conditions and controlled environment, there kid grows as an "panicky" educated dummy with no iota of street sense and survival skills for real life situations. Imagine hiring studens as spays against them self's and living with the fear and panicky that your seat mate or room mate is a school spy

with school fees as high as almost 400,000 Naira I bet that if most parents had an alternative they wouldn't send their kids there only to be expelled in their final or third year. i think the government regulatory bodies should step up and professionally look into some of these "Extreme Camp Like" monopolistic and glorified secondary schools where youths are not allowed to become adults at that critical point and stage in their lives. Parents should form an association to protect the intrests of their children because i bet you that on day these kids would be forced to revolt, riot and rebel against the school authorities taking laws in their own hands.

I'm just really sad by the whole situation. That too few Schools to accommodate the am out of student that annually seek a university education should not give an excuse for unnecessary exploitation and psychological abuse of these kids.

I think its time for the media, activists, student bodies and other meaningful Nigerians to speak up objectively and meaningfully before their autocratic dictatorship regime goes out of hand.

SEUN PLEASE IL APPRECIATE IF YOU POST THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE SO THAT FELLOW NIGERIANS CAN BE AWARE OF WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON.

Thank you.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by tmcboy(m): 10:34am On Jan 09, 2009
Damn! C.U again. I actually applied 2 d school but eventually didnt go there. Anyhwz, I just fank God 4 ma neighbours who didnt try to go on Sunday, If not, God knws wat could av appened. But actually they ve' bin told dat this after their resumption, things were goin 2 be tough. Anyhwz hope dey get ova their suspension.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by tmcboy(m): 10:35am On Jan 09, 2009
Damn! C.U again. I actually applied 2 d school but eventually didnt go there. Anyhwz, I just fank God 4 ma neighbours who didnt try to go on Sunday, If not, God knws wat could av appened. But actually they ve' bin told dat this after their resumption, things were goin 2 be tough. Anyhwz hope dey get ova their suspension.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 10, 2009
HHA BA, MISS KISS ANGEL ABEY WAZ UR NAME, WERE DID U GET ALL DIS INFO, GET IT I AM A STUDENT OF C.U, EVEN THOU D COMPLAININ TYPE, BUT IT TOTALLY ISNT RIGHT PLACING FALSE INFORMATION ON NET, D STUDENTS WHO WERE GIVEN SUSPENSION WAZ ONLY A THREAT, AND NOT EVEN UP TO 100, OUR MEALS ARE NOT EVEN AS EXPENSIVE AS U SO CLAIM, WAT U TRYN 2 GET AT, IF IT SO PAINS U PLZ DO OPEN UR OWN UNIVERSITY, SHEY NA LYK SO D THING PAIN REDEEMERS AND OTHERS THEY OPENED THEIR OWN, STOP EXAGGERATING THINGS AND POSTING FALSE INFO, WE D STUDENTS ARENT COMPLAINING YOUR HELP ISNT NEEDED.OR U CAN LYK 2 POST IT ON CNN .AND FOR THOSE COMPLAINING, I DONT THINK THEY WERE BIN BEGGED 2 COME TO THE SKUL, THEY CAN GET OUT ATLEAST D SKUL IS EVEN GETTIN OVA POPULATED, GET INFORMED AND NOT MISINFORMED, PROUD HEBRONITE

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Hesperus(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2009
Eudora:

HHA BA, MISS KISS ANGEL ABEY WAZ UR NAME, WERE DID U GET ALL this INFO, GET IT I AM A STUDENT OF C.U, EVEN THOU D COMPLAININ TYPE, BUT IT TOTALLY ISNT RIGHT PLACING FALSE INFORMATION ON NET, D STUDENTS WHO WERE GIVEN SUSPENSION WAZ ONLY A THREAT, AND NOT EVEN UP TO 100, OUR MEALS ARE NOT EVEN AS EXPENSIVE AS U SO CLAIM, what U TRYN 2 GET AT, IF IT SO PAINS U PLZ DO OPEN UR OWN UNIVERSITY, SHEY NA like SO D THING PAIN REDEEMERS AND OTHERS THEY OPENED THEIR OWN, STOP EXAGGERATING THINGS AND POSTING FALSE INFO, WE D STUDENTS ARENT COMPLAINING YOUR HELP ISNT NEEDED.OR U CAN like 2 POST IT ON CNN .AND FOR THOSE COMPLAINING, I don't THINK THEY WERE BIN BEGGED 2 COME TO THE SKUL, THEY CAN GET OUT ATLEAST D SKUL IS EVEN GETTIN OVA POPULATED, GET INFORMED AND NOT MISINFORMED, PROUD HEBRONITE
LOL! Proud hebronite? I guess dats CU version of "greatest akokite!"
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 10, 2009
I'm a student of CU. The suspension wasn't a threat, it was real. People were warned not to resume a day after the 3rd, but some did. They were asked to reply a query within 24 hours with a good reason why they shouldn't be suspended.

It's not true that we can't buy food for less than N250. Even if you have only N50, you can buy, only it won't be so much.

I think it's pointless trying to fight Covenant University. Before you pay a deposit (that is, after you've got your admission letter), you are given a copy of the students' handbook which contains all the rules. It's simple - if you don't like them, don't pay. So if you pay . . .

@Hesperus
Yeah right. grin
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by kosovo(m): 12:19am On Jan 11, 2009
such a thing can only happen in a DOOMED! country like Nigeria.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Dclique(m): 1:15am On Jan 11, 2009
C.U dnt play around with thier RULES AND REG
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 1:30pm On Jan 12, 2009
@ poster,
ur post should hav said covenant secondary sch suspends. . .
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by cvibe: 1:37pm On Jan 12, 2009
@ Poster

Are you sure it's a university or a secondary school?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 1:58pm On Jan 12, 2009
yeah we need clarification from NUC or ministry of Education on how this sch was registered,
was it registered as a sec sch or uni,
cos some of the rules and regulations of the sch are too ridiculous for adults.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Skidoc(m): 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2009
Eudora:

HHA BA, MISS KISS ANGEL ABEY WAZ UR NAME, WERE DID U GET ALL this INFO, GET IT I AM A STUDENT OF C.U, EVEN THOU D COMPLAININ TYPE, BUT IT TOTALLY ISNT RIGHT PLACING FALSE INFORMATION ON NET, D STUDENTS WHO WERE GIVEN SUSPENSION WAZ ONLY A THREAT, AND NOT EVEN UP TO 100, OUR MEALS ARE NOT EVEN AS EXPENSIVE AS U SO CLAIM, what U TRYN 2 GET AT, IF IT SO PAINS U PLZ DO OPEN UR OWN UNIVERSITY, SHEY NA like SO D THING PAIN REDEEMERS AND OTHERS THEY OPENED THEIR OWN, STOP EXAGGERATING THINGS AND POSTING FALSE INFO, WE D STUDENTS ARENT COMPLAINING YOUR HELP ISNT NEEDED.OR U CAN like 2 POST IT ON CNN .AND FOR THOSE COMPLAINING, I don't THINK THEY WERE BIN BEGGED 2 COME TO THE SKUL, THEY CAN GET OUT ATLEAST D SKUL IS EVEN GETTIN OVA POPULATED, GET INFORMED AND NOT MISINFORMED, PROUD HEBRONITE

With all the strict rules and regulations and blah blah blah, a proud Hebronite still can't type proper English. I guess they only teach you how to come to school early and bash other private Unis. tongue
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 12, 2009
Skidoc:

With all the strict rules and regulations and blah blah blah, a proud Hebronite still can't type proper English. I guess they only teach you how to come to school early and bash other private Unis. tongue

In my opinion, that post was uncalled for. I'm a student of CU also as I wrote earlier on. Eudora used Netspeak, and it's something everyone uses. There's no Nairalander right now who has never used Netspeak (or at least most of us have). So do you mean that most Nairalanders went to bad universities where they were only taught to "come to school early and bash other private Unis."?

N.B.: In CU, there is no penalty for using Netspeak.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 5:46pm On Jan 12, 2009
@ mactao
Is it true that in C.U u ar not allowed to carry phones and that u hav to register ur Girl/boy friend,
also is it true that the sch is under lock and key.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 12, 2009
Muza:

@ mactao
Is it true that in C.U u ar not allowed to carry phones and that u hav to register ur Girl/boy friend,
also is it true that the sch is under lock and key.

It's true that in CU, students are not allowed to carry phones. You shouldn't even be caught with a charger or SIM card.

It has never been officially stated that anyone has to register his or her gilfriend or boyfriend. Or maybe it was that was announced before I got admission in September. However, there's an offence termed "Pairing". I believe I do not have to go into details.

Every night from around midnight, the gates of the halls of residence are locked. I don't know what else can be classified as "under lock and key" in CU.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 5:58pm On Jan 12, 2009
shocked
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by JJYOU: 6:00pm On Jan 12, 2009
naija people and lawlessness. what is wrong in having rules? are they dragging kids off the streets to go there?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 6:09pm On Jan 12, 2009
haba,these rules ar too much for adults
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Okijajuju1(m): 6:10pm On Jan 12, 2009
JJYOU:

naija people and lawlessness. what is wrong in having rules? are they dragging kids off the streets to go there?

You are joking right?? Please tell me you are joking.

I would love to comment on that concentration camp a.k.a Convenant University. But I just came out of anger management therapy so I'll refrain for now.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Muza(m): 6:24pm On Jan 12, 2009
Okija_juju:

You are joking right?? Please tell me you are joking.

I would love to comment on that concentration camp a.k.a Convenant University. But I just camp out of anger management therapy so I'll refrain for now.

Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Skidoc(m): 3:17am On Jan 15, 2009
mactao:

There's no Nairalander right now who has never used Netspeak (or at least most of us have). So do you mean that most Nairalanders went to bad universities where they were only taught to "come to school early and bash other private Unis."?

N.B.: In CU, there is no penalty for using Netspeak.

Sorry, I don't use Netspeak - and I can see you don't use it either.smiley I guess typing in Capital letters and a few grammatical errors are also part of Netspeak. That's fine then. wink
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 15, 2009
There's absolutely nothing sad about this. Covenant University is a Principled UNIVERSITY and I'm in full support of this tertiary institution. If you think the rules are too much for you to cope, then leave. After all, it's not for all but a selected few.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Afam4eva(m): 9:14pm On Jan 15, 2009
The students signed it before getting in.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 18, 2009
@ posters: wow wow, now i think i can figure the problem with our country and society at large, criticism, and unwillingness 2 accept both responsible and sacrifice for what ever is yet to come, this whole argument is pointless, all i am tryn 2 say here is
SECONDARY SCHOOL OR UNIVERSITY, WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU ARE WELL BUILT IT ISN'T ALL ABOUT THE DEGREE YOU COME OUT WITH, WE DONT CARE ABOUT OUR PAPERS BUT WHAT WE HAVE GOT UPSTAIRS THAT'S WHAT IS IMPORTANT,
IF THE SCHOOL PAIN YOU THAT BAD AND THAT MUCH, ABEG OPEN YOUR OWN, I WAZNT FORCED DOWN HERE, MY PARENTS WERENT FORCED TO PAY MY FEES, I UNDERSTAND THE RULES ARE TOO MUCH EVEN IF I COMPLAIN AT TIMES BUT YET; THEY'V GOT REASONS FOR ALL THIS.MOST DEFINITELY NOT ALL THE STUDENTS HERE ARE WELL GROOMED,THE MIND SET OF MOST PARENTS IN SENDING THEIR CHILDREN HERE IS FOR THE SKUL TO PROBABLY HELP CHANGE THE CHILDREN,TRAIN THEM, GOVERNMENT UNI. MOST DEFINATELY DONT PERSONALLY TRAIN YOU. ITZ EITHER YOU ARE INFLUENCED BY THE SOCIETY OR YOU INFLUENCE THE SOCIETY, BUT RIGHT HERE IN COVENANT UNI. I MUST SAY, IT TOTALLY ISNT THE SAME. THE SKUL BUILDS YOU,AND TEACHES U 2 CHANGE YOUR SOCIETY,INFLUENCE YOUR SOCIETY,MAKE A CHANGE , MAKE A DIFFERENCE,
WELL IN YOUR OWN WORLD I MOST SAY, YOU DONT LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE BUT FOLLOW THE CROWD, BUT HERE IN OUR WORLD I ARE THOUGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH OUR OWN DIFFERENCE, SOOO, I TOTALLY BELIVE IN -NO PAIN NO GAIN,

FOR THE NETSPEAK LANGUAGE - I THINK U DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THE PRESENT TOPIC BUT LUK FOR A WAY TO CRITICIZE FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE,

PROUD HEBRONITE
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by theboy0808(m): 7:57pm On Jan 18, 2009
@ Poster
CU didn't aply to these students,
Rather the students applied to CU
Capisce?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by debosky(m): 8:39pm On Jan 18, 2009
theboy0808:

@ Poster
CU didn't aply to these students,
Rather the students applied to CU
Capisce?

So because they 'applied' to CU, if they decide to violate human rights it makes it ok?

Even if they signed after reading the 'rules', if any of those 'rules' violates the laws of Nigeria, they are null and void.

Some people will support being emasculated all in the name of rules. . . in the end, these people come out of school completely out of touch with reality. All in the name of enforcing ridiculous rules.

Another failing of the NUC - these ridiculous measures must be rescinded else you'll soon start hearing people saying speaking is illegal because someone wrote it in a rule book.
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 19, 2009
@debosky
I'm sorry, but I think you're being too forward. It seems you know next to nothing about the rules of Covenant University, and you're going on about violating the laws of Nigeria?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 19, 2009
@mactao-- thanks uv got a gud point
@ debosky, watz ur point and what has covenant uni. rules got to do with nigerian rules, sure you arent done keeping nigeria's
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by MrCrackles(m): 6:25pm On Jan 19, 2009
Madness!
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by ADEOMOLE(m): 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2009
Do they have a Law Department.
What is fundamental human rights.
I thought the age of consent is 18 abi?
Just like Sharia to Muslims, We have some christain extremist of which some are now parents.
Nigeria university commission is a lame duck organisation. Isnt it ?
Where are our lawyers and solicitors?
Can we sue CU for breach of human rights of Nigerian Students.
Lets Bankrupt this damn UNI. Serious money to be made.

Instil Discipline my a--.

HIV Test
Pregancy Test
No Mobile Phone
Pairing. and the list goes on.

My God what a hypocrisy?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by Mustay(m): 3:20pm On Jan 20, 2009
When will the School itself be expelled?
Re: Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations by jewman(m): 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2009
Mustay! Till jesus come

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying / Cultism On The Rise In Secondary Schools / Post-utme Examination Is Illegal – JAMB Registrar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.