Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,384 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back (68572 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by MamaToks: 6:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
irridemi:
While I wait for more insightful comments, I just want to appreciate nairalanders for the way u guys made this thread educative with opinions from both angles. God bless u.

You can apply for open work permit, (www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp) answer the questions there, it will give you the documents to gather, while your hubby goes the student way (don't pay anybody, you can do everything yourself online). Pls go as soon as possible, so that your baby can be born there. You can start work by Jan cos of your baby & within 6m apply for PR thru EE, all things being equal, it could work out in another 1yr. As a PR, u can then do all ur professional certifications & further studies as it will be cheaper for you. Give & take, in the next 2yrs, you will be the better for the decision of today. Regards to your husband. If you need more assistance, pls feel free to contact me.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Themandator: 11:24am On Mar 03, 2015
irridemi:
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks

I think he should try another line of business... Petroleum product marketing if he has the people to put him through.

Relocation is never easy more so wholesale one like he plans.

Nb: sorry my contribution came in late
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kaykad: 6:26pm On Mar 03, 2015
Ma,

if i may add my 2 kobo..y dnt you stay put in Nigeria since you have a job and let him go and hustle over there. like some one said you might not easily get a job over there.
[size=8pt][/size]

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by ephi123(f): 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
milychocs:

@ ephi123 and sukkot
...I will add to your take

Last Friday, I slipped and fell on Oxford Street...flat fall, leg twist, small cry, okay big cry escapes....(luckily two buses were just parked, nearest oncoming vehicle was like 15 seconds away)
Meanwhile street was busy, filled with a lot of people, a lone voice asks if I was all right
I got up, limped across, and stayed down for like four minutes, getting my bearings....
A tiny lady comes and asks if I was going to be all right...(A lady who I assume have faced some ?discrimination cos of her dwarfism, and has empathy maybe as a result?)...just her...everybody just moved right along shocked sad lipsrsealed...In Naija, people would lift you up, sorrys will follow you, even reprimands of "what were you thinking about?".....making you know you are surrounded by human beings

I entered Aldo, the first guy that came to show me shoes was chatty, and asked if I was Nigerian, that he is Igbo, grew up in Cameroon and London and can only say kedu...

Well the warmth that enveloped me with his words tipped me over the edge...I cried a bit cheesy...okay more than a bit
I guess it was an accumulation of all the things you said, then a girl in class making a racist comment, other such ignorant comments, and the YouTube video of a girl saying to a black man in a train, that "all of you are slaves', then the fall

Well I type incoherently cos I guess I am still affected, but no matter how much/long I stay here or in the Western world, my heart beats with the pulse of Africa, and I will always long for the sun, development or none...will always prefer it to here, with its warts and all....all I am doing here, is so I can take a bit of progress back home asap
After all, if not for for slave trade and colonisation, we probably would be doing mighty things, the African way...now it is all spoilt...and we will always be measured and will lag behind our "liberators"...I at times feel a wave of nostalgia for that religion which I never got to know, the culture I never experienced etc

I can only say I am in tremendous awe of people ...black Africans who assimilate so well in the Western world, so much so they start resenting or cursing their roots
(Shudders all the same)

Aww, hope you are okay now.
I know, it's just weird, a culture where someone trips on the elevator and 90% of the people just walk past, a culture where you don't know your next door neighbour. I fully fully understand what you've written up there.
I saw that youtube video you mentioned as well, and there are other things as well, that one almost can't express with words, like people choosing not to sit next to you on a crowded train and preferring to stand instead (during the peak of the ebola crisis), I could go on and on. For me, I know sooner or later, I will be back home. Long term, this place is certainly not it.

3 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2015
EMEzzy:
I just knew you would say thatcheesy who you rep now bruh
not a huge basketball fan anymore bro. the game has become soft. you cant touch anyone without the referee blowing his whistle and the referees spoil the game with their bias wink
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:21am On Mar 25, 2015
milychocs:

@ ephi123 and sukkot
...I will add to your take

Last Friday, I slipped and fell on Oxford Street...flat fall, leg twist, small cry, okay big cry escapes....(luckily two buses were just parked, nearest oncoming vehicle was like 15 seconds away)
Meanwhile street was busy, filled with a lot of people, a lone voice asks if I was all right
I got up, limped across, and stayed down for like four minutes, getting my bearings....
A tiny lady comes and asks if I was going to be all right...(A lady who I assume have faced some ?discrimination cos of her dwarfism, and has empathy maybe as a result?)...just her...everybody just moved right along shocked sad lipsrsealed...In Naija, people would lift you up, sorrys will follow you, even reprimands of "what were you thinking about?".....making you know you are surrounded by human beings

I entered Aldo, the first guy that came to show me shoes was chatty, and asked if I was Nigerian, that he is Igbo, grew up in Cameroon and London and can only say kedu...

Well the warmth that enveloped me with his words tipped me over the edge...I cried a bit cheesy...okay more than a bit
I guess it was an accumulation of all the things you said, then a girl in class making a racist comment, other such ignorant comments, and the YouTube video of a girl saying to a black man in a train, that "all of you are slaves', then the fall

Well I type incoherently cos I guess I am still affected, but no matter how much/long I stay here or in the Western world, my heart beats with the pulse of Africa, and I will always long for the sun, development or none...will always prefer it to here, with its warts and all....all I am doing here, is so I can take a bit of progress back home asap
After all, if not for for slave trade and colonisation, we probably would be doing mighty things, the African way...now it is all spoilt...and we will always be measured and will lag behind our "liberators"...I at times feel a wave of nostalgia for that religion which I never got to know, the culture I never experienced etc

I can only say I am in tremendous awe of people ...black Africans who assimilate so well in the Western world, so much so they start resenting or cursing their roots
(Shudders all the same)
awww. hope you feel fine now sha. i am returning to naija this year. if you can, i suggest you return too because only then can you find your humanity again. i will post a video of this girl who was longing to go to nigeria after 6 years in america. she is not a materialistic girl and had not acquired any money at all. i mean, not even a dollar. but she was miserable in america because she loves nigeria. anyway she scraped together a few dollars and packed her little one bag and left for naija. she found it hard initially but now she is fully settled. i seen a video of her drinking champagne with the movers and shakers of lagos, all happy, watching horse polo at eko atlantis. now if she hadnt moved ? she would still be miserable. enjoy the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRoQF9XlfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DNUyWj4NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDsSFi8aH0

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2015
Demainman1:

I wish I can believe you smiley

I will be more than shocked if buhari wins. He can't. GEJ will still win. If buhari wins it means Democracy is indeed working!
trust me bros, buhari got this. wink
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:27am On Mar 25, 2015
shinejackie:

Cool my guy, any message from the celestial realm, especially as we watch the coming elections in Nigeria cool
yes the message is you can start celebrating buharis win. wink
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by sukkot: 8:27am On Mar 25, 2015
solomonwis:

Happy lunatics and evil lunatics shocked?

grin grin Now that got me rolling on the floor!

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
grin grin grin
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by khalid6ix: 11:48am On Mar 25, 2015
Hello Nairalanders, Please I need ur advise. Am currently 2months pregnant, and My husband is thinking of us relocating to Canada. I currently work in the bank while my husband is into Forex and Securities Trading Business. We were doing averagely okay until last year when business started shaking, my husband has lost a lot and now he is thinking of us relocating to Canada to start afresh. If I resign and we sell our properties, and the little savings we have should be enough to sponsor him for a Postgraduate Course (2years), while I follow him as his wife ( then I get a job), he wants this option cos am a professional and I have good work experience. Option 2 is for me to do a post graduate course and he accompanies me (mayb I will get a good job fast cos of my qualifications). if I wait till we have our baby, the expenses will be much(I.e the financial requirement for the visa). My hubby's uncle is ready to assist us, but my husband doesn't want to take the risk of investing in business again. He has Sasacheskwan or Toronto in mind. I will really appreciate advise thanks
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by skillmyman(m): 7:33am On Mar 30, 2015
hello MamaToks,
hows the baby kicking?
any decision yet?
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Olucheye(m): 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2015
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by usrun: 10:54pm On Apr 07, 2015
Nobody
thank u so much. I have checked the schools but I still prefer the Memorial Uni cos of d fees, I want a low tution fee school, so that we'll have more money to live on b4 we settle in. I will be applying to the school this mth while. I do my english test exam( plan on doing toefl) ietls has been booked till may, pls I need the list of minimum docs req for the embassy. Do I need an agent?, I spoke with d one that helped my sis in law, and he said his charges are 700k(imagine lol), and that I shudnt even bother. The chances of getting student permit(with spouse is nt possible in nigeria). Pls can I send u a mail?

Hi Nobody. I am presently in Canada and so, I wish to give you my honest advice. First, please don't give any agency any money to help you process your visa because none of them works at the embassy. I was asked to pay the same but I ignored them and applied after reading the student's visa requirement at the embassy's site. There is a nairaland forum for people that want to study in Canada. Join them and ask all the questions you need to ask. Many of us here in Canada that came through education benefited from that forum. That forum is all you need to come to Canada.
From the way you sounded in your message, I don't think any of you stand a good chance if you choose to go with the family. I don't know the size of the family, but I know you must meet the financial requirement and still have strong ties to the country before you and your family are granted visa. Many people I know that tried it were denied on the ground of inadequate ties to their home country.

Some fields are easier to get job than others. I don't know the background of you and your husband but whosoever that have more practical experience should take the challenge. Once you are true with your education and secure a good job, then other members of the family can join.

In Canada, for one to get 3 years work permit, you must study at least a two year program. A year program attracts a year work permit. Eight months program, attracts 8 month work permit.

Please read about Canadian Experience class, and Federal skilled for more information.

Yes, Saskachewan have a better immigration law. Please, don't go to Ontario. Read up Canadian provinces Nominee programs for each province to equip yourself with adequate knowledge before choosing a school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Misterdhee1(m): 1:23pm On Apr 13, 2015
usrun:

Hi Nobody. I am presently in Canada and so, I wish to give you my honest advice. First, please don't give any agency any money to help you process your visa because none of them works at the embassy. I was asked to pay the same but I ignored them and applied after reading the student's visa requirement at the embassy's site. There is a nairaland forum for people that want to study in Canada. Join them and ask all the questions you need to ask. Many of us here in Canada that came through education benefited from that forum. That forum is all you need to come to Canada.
From the way you sounded in your message, I don't think any of you stand a good chance if you choose to go with the family. I don't know the size of the family, but I know you must meet the financial requirement and still have strong ties to the country before you and your family are granted visa. Many people I know that tried it were denied on the ground of inadequate ties to their home country.

Some fields are easier to get job than others. I don't know the background of you and your husband but whosoever that have more practical experience should take the challenge. Once you are true with your education and secure a good job, then other members of the family can join.

In Canada, for one to get 3 years work permit, you must study at least a two year program. A year program attracts a year work permit. Eight months program, attracts 8 month work permit.

Please read about Canadian Experience class, and Federal skilled for more information.

Yes, Saskachewan have a better immigration law. Please, don't go to Ontario. Read up Canadian provinces Nominee programs for each province to equip yourself with adequate knowledge before choosing a school.
Abeg boss can I gt ur email.. I Need ur assistance ..tanx

1 Like

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by favurdeary: 10:17am On May 15, 2015
Please can i get your email @usrun
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by YOMNIK: 10:36am On May 21, 2015
I support ur decision, Nigeria is in a mess. i have a brother in Manitoba canada who has been there for almost 3 yrs now and he s doing great.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by Royat1(m): 1:47pm On May 22, 2015
please how lucrative is banking and finance in Canada ? what will you advice me to further in for masters is it in investment banking or finance . thank you !
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by no1madman(m): 12:33am On May 23, 2015
EMEzzy:
Relocate to otuoke.
otu oke! otu oKe! otu !
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by iContribute: 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2015
gentleiphy:

Irridemi....my sister
i called you my sister because you took the courage to do what we know most Nigerian women to be ..very industrious and so much attached to the welfare of their husbands and family. Weldone!

You have asked a very good question,and i have read and followed all the response giving by good people here...though some sound bitter,some

funny,some positive and some discouraging..they all have done well and so appreciate each and everyone's input as i believe they all have your interest at heart.

i observed two sets of people here....the "Experienced ones" and the"i heard it so ones"....in the"Experienced ones" that is where your answer lies because they comprise of the optimists and the pessimists...listen to both of them because both have spoken the truth.For the"I heard it so ones"...they have never been in the situation you find yourself now and therefore are learning from the responses of the"Experienced Ones"like you.

Your Case:Relocating to Canada on student ground..
Option1:Your husband studies while you work albeit with Pregnancy
Option2:You Study while husband works to support you while you grapple with stress of baby on the way.

Canada no doubt is a beautiful land filled with unending opportunities when you have the right legal status to reside and work.It used to be easier coming in as an international student,get work permit,graduate work for 2 years and get your PR..sadly the law has changed of recent...meaning if both of you make that move via the international student route....staying back in Nigeria sounds progressive more than being in Canada because when both of you come in and face reality on ground,you will panic,depression will set in,hopelessness will evolve,cracks will begin to appear in your marital relationship and the baby?confusion will be the result.Again if your husband chose to come alone to study while you stay back home to support him..it will take some good 4yrs for him to able to navigate his way around the immigration laws to get his PR and file for you then you are looking at 5yrs of him being in Canada without you.The more you look at the cons..the more you realise it may not worth it to sell off your property and quit your job to go into this "legend of the Seeker" adventure.

Best route to you my sister is to gather your document and start application for the permanent residence via the Express Entry...patiently work on achieving it and when you get it...i bet you the sky wont be your limit in the foreign land.No country in this world is easy to settle down fast even leaving your village to relocate to Lagos was never easy at the start.Believe me if you succeed with your PR,Canada has lots to offer you...hard work and determination is the answer.it is true that when you come your education and work experience from Nigeria doesn't count..very very true but as a PR..you will benefit immensely in a lot programs that will help integrate your easily into the system...there a lot of certification courses in your field that you can easily do within some months of arrival to get some job which comes with the coveted Canadian work experience preparing you to make that great move into you major job you so desired.For example,as an Auditor which of course is regulated and which may take some years for you to get licensed or qualify in their certification...you can certify in CAPA or CAPP..certified Accounts payable Associate or Professional which enables you to get a job as easy as ABC though lower in what you do in Nigeria but at least starts you off on the climb to your Canadian work experience.So many of such certifications exist to help you out in your settling down that is if you came in with your PR...

like others advised...money melts down so fast in Canada...your entire savings can disappear in just a while without any other source of income therefore supporting yourself to study with the money you came with for a family of 2(3 to be) without the PR status will be a tall order.You will survive in Canada if you arrive with your PR and you have your uncle to shelter you for a couple of months guiding you to settle down easily.For every newcomer in any Country it is not always easy and fast to settle..you must thread the muddy waters and the thorny valleys but after rain comes sunshine.but one thing i have to leave you with is this...

In Canada...they live life
In Nigeria....they exist

People make choice of either to live life or to merely exist in life.

My advise:Make the move to Canada via PR and you wont regret it.

God bless your decision.
[b][/b]

This advice is very sincere. @poster, i will like to advice you not to sell your property or properties, apply for the PR visa then go ahead and test the waters so that God-forbid if things dont go according to planned, you can have your property back in Nigeria plus your PR visa. But most importantly, seek God and everyother thing will be added on because you can do all things through Christ that strengthens you.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by annikanyi(f): 9:32am On Oct 08, 2015
HI Ursun, i am in the process of applying for an llm in uni of ottawa and osgoode law school for september 2016, my problem is how to put together my good application package. i have been advised to go through an agent but they are pretty expensive. what is your take on it? also i would like to email you if u dont mind

usrun:

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by kwokwo: 5:56pm On Nov 04, 2015
Please can one professionally assist.I had a good earning about 500k /monthly.Few montsh back I was sent to USA for a business meeting on B1 visa.During the trip ,I decided to stay additional days as my leave days which was approved.On my returned,I received a sack letter that my leave although was approved but not authorized.I got a new job now with lower salary of 250k.

I have been so difficult to cope based on this new salary and my friends are asking to relocate to USA since I still have a valid USA visa. And my wife is in support that I move over to USA and start life afresh.But I am very scared of uncertainty.Can anybody help with a good advice Plsssss.
Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by RedCapChief(m): 8:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
kwokwo:
Please can one professionally assist.I had a good earning about 500k /monthly.Few montsh back I was sent to USA for a business meeting on B1 visa.During the trip ,I decided to stay additional days as my leave days which was approved.On my returned,I received a sack letter that my leave although was approved but not authorized.I got a new job now with lower salary of 250k.

I have been so difficult to cope based on this new salary and my friends are asking to relocate to USA since I still have a valid USA visa. And my wife is in support that I move over to USA and start life afresh.But I am very scared of uncertainty.Can anybody help with a good advice Plsssss.

[size=13pt]Relocating to the US to start a new life is never a tea party. You haven't given any information that can be used to help you. Why do you want to go to the US? What type of visa do you have? What type of education do you have? Any US education? If No, are you willing to go back to school and retrain? Do you have funds to support your family for 6mths if you can't get a job? How many dependents do you have?
Your wife may be in support of migration because America sounds so fancy. It is a very good land but it is a land built with serious hard work. If you can't pay your bills, you will sleep on the street and close 'friends' will abandon you[/size]

2 Likes

Re: I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back by 4stylz: 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2015
I am just scared of going to an unknown place without guarantee of job for me. I hope to work and support him while he is in school. And he hopes to do that if I am the one going to study while he will be working. My fear is just the job part cos my sister in law just finished her PGD and she hasn't gotten a job yet and she wants to take up another course. My hubby suggested satsachekwan because of what he read that the place is cold but fair when it comes to getting jobs and immigration issues

May God give me an understanding and supportive wife like you... go ahead to Canada and God will see you both through, Canada is a land of opportunities just the cold can be too much sometimes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Refuse Covers Parts Of Surulere After Heavy Rain In Lagos (Viewers Discretion) / 4 Beautiful Places You Should Visit In Africa In Your Lifetime / Inside Aksaray Underground Market Where Nigerians Buy Food In Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.