Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala (1102 Views)

After Eliminating 40,000 Ghost Workers We Saved N8billion Monthly – presidency / 43,000 ‘ghost Workers’ Uncovered In Nigerian Security Agencies / 'FG To Handover 23,000 Ghost Workers And Banks To Efcc'-finance Minister,adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 4:33pm On Feb 26, 2015
15,000 ‘ghost’ pensioners collect N2bn annually – Okonjo-Iweala
February 26, 2015 by Friday Olokor, Abuja
Leave a Comment

The Federal Government on Thursday said it had blocked loopholes in the old pension administration scheme, where over 15,000 ghost pensioners were included in government payroll system.

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said this at a forum for stakeholders organised by the Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate, where pensioners and other stakeholders in the pension system gathered to interact.

According to her, the Federal Government has been able to save N2.1bn annually in less than two years after the establishment of PTAD.

At the event, the Director-General of PTAD, Ms. Nellie Mayshak, said the major success of the agency was checking dubious financial transactions in commercial banks, which pensioners’ funds were hitherto channelled for personal gains.

Mayshak said PTAD, through its establishment, has taken advantage of the ICT to consolidate on the erstwhile pension offices, comprising Civil Service, Pension, Police Pension, Customs, Immigration and Prisons pension/pension boards of trustees of all parastatals funded by the Federal Government.

PTAD, an agency of the Federal Government, was established in August 2013 in compliance with the provisions of Section 30 sub-section (2) (a) of the Pension Reform Act of 2004 (now replaced by the Pension Reform Act,2014.

Okonjo-Iweala said 14 individuals, whose identity she kept secret, were currently standing trial in the law court over the pensions probe initially carried out by the National Assembly in 2013, in which N32bn was allegedly squandered.

While receiving commendations for bringing sanity into the pension scheme, Okonjo-Iweala said through the Government Integrated Financial Management Information Systems, PTAD had been able to consolidate several accounts in commercial banks, holding pension funds, that had been prone to looting to three or four.

To further boost transparency and accountability in the pensions system, the minister said a nationwide verification process and biometric data capture for all pensioners had commenced with Police Pensioners from the North and South-West completed.

“These interventions have led to concrete, real life improvements in the lives of our pensioners. For example, the Civil Service Pension, which has the bulk of pensioners managed by PTAD, has seen the removal of over 15,000 duplicated or ghost pensioners from its payroll, leading to savings of about N2.1bn annually,” she stated.

But representatives of the Nigeria Union of Pensioners, who were also at the forum, urged government to offset about 42 months pension arrears, including the 33 per cent pension increase.
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by ghost1718(m): 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2015
madam ngo... I hope is not my own ghost u mean because like this i dey hungry

1 Like

Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by gen2briz(m): 4:50pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ghost bawo
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 4:53pm On Feb 26, 2015
ghost1718:
madam ngo... I hope is not my own ghost u mean because like this i dey hungry
lol
I think your own ghost has biometrics.
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by ghost1718(m): 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2015
1MCN:

lol
I think your own ghost has biometrics.
oya explain that english, i stop at primary 2
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by feelamong(m): 5:07pm On Feb 26, 2015
Okonjo-Iweala said 14 individuals, whose identity she kept secret, were currently standing trial in the law court over the pensions probe initially carried out by the National Assembly in 2013, in which N32bn was allegedly squandered

so why are they keeping the names of these wicked people secret??

I really doubt if anybody has actually been arrested for this..
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by gsalvatore: 5:23pm On Feb 26, 2015
feelamong:
Okonjo-Iweala said 14 individuals, whose identity she kept secret, were currently standing trial in the law court over the pensions probe initially carried out by the National Assembly in 2013, in which N32bn was allegedly squandered

If you are in her Position will you mention the names?

Her job is not to mention peoples name.

With Less Emotion people will live Long.
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by dokyOloye: 5:37pm On Feb 26, 2015
Ride on Dr Iweala.
We all know there are some entrenched forces who have been perpetrating d numerous pension scams,subsidy scams,fertiliser scams,waiver scams,ghost worker scams,etc.
Fed min of agric and fertiliser distribution was an exclusive reserve of some born to rule clowns to loot as they want.
But since d coming of GEJ,farmers now get fertiliser cheaply and timely.
These are d ppl who want U and GEJ out so they can loot Nigeria back to stone age.
But they'll not succeed, by d grace of God.

1 Like

Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by Slynonny(m): 5:40pm On Feb 26, 2015
This kind news will surely struck Obj like stroke cos those ghost workers are his product.
Buhari has admitted seeing a Doctor so i advice him to go home and rest in peace.
Fayose has been vindicated at last.
In other news.
How you living Mr Ayo Fayose for exposing APC lies and propaganda?
Ans: In Mansion and Benzes giving headache to APC and it feels stupendous.
How you feeling Mr Femi Fani Kayode for dumping APC?
Ans: Am feeling good like never before.
APC is dead and is on the news.
How do you feel going back to PDP Mr Barcanista?
I feel at home.
Is been a long time coming and am glad am finally home.
Just like the biblical prodigal son i've realised my mistakes and gone back to PDP.
In Jonathan we have seen real and positive change.
Vote Wisely GEJ 2019

1 Like

Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 7:53pm On Feb 26, 2015
ghost1718:
oya explain that english, i stop at primary 2
Quite hillarious. What don't you understand, biometrics?
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by superstar1(m): 7:58pm On Feb 26, 2015
She should have said the identity of the 14 Ghosts that are standing trial are being kept secret.

Is that how things are done in World Bank?

GEJ has definitely infected this woman with dumbness.

Is that how to fight corruption? Trying corrupt people in secrecy.

Na wa o
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 8:02pm On Feb 26, 2015
superstar1:
She should have said the identity of the 14 Ghosts that are standing trial are being kept secret.

Is that how things are done in World Bank?

GEJ has definitely infected this woman with dumbness.

Is that how to fight corruption? Trying corrupt people in secrecy.

Na wa o

That's probably correct to think Nigerians deserve to know. So now in the absence of that you can evoke the FOI Act.
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by ghost1718(m): 10:19pm On Feb 26, 2015
1MCN:

Quite hillarious. What don't you understand, biometrics?
yes and my english teacher has been kidnapped
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by ghost1718(m): 10:53pm On Feb 26, 2015
gen2briz:
Ghost bawo
oga at the top... I dey greet oh
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by gen2briz(m): 11:03pm On Feb 26, 2015
ghost1718:
oga at the top... I dey greet oh

Na me hail pass
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by WilyWily: 11:19pm On Feb 26, 2015
Many Yorubas are going to go hungry, ngozi have blocked their means of livelihood. koool.
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 9:04am On Feb 27, 2015
ghost1718:
yes and my english teacher has been kidnapped
You must be a student in Baga or Sambisa or Gwoza or Okrika
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by rolchi(m): 9:14am On Feb 27, 2015
feelamong:

Any case in court is no longer a secret. I expected Punch to go to the Law Courts, make their investigations and publish the names of the individuals in court.

Our media should also "TRANSFORM" to a vibrant one like GEJ is doing to Nigeria!

Long Life President Dr. Goodluck Ebelemi Jonathan!

1 Like

Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by ghost1718(m): 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2015
1MCN:

You must be a student in Baga or Sambisa or Gwoza or Okrika
bross u wicked

1 Like

Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:33pm On Feb 27, 2015
God bless Goodluck Jonathan... It is about strong institutions not strong individuals...Systemic approach to governance and using world best technological tools to prevent looting from taking place at all...
Re: 15,000 ‘ghost’ Pensioners Collect N2bn Annually – Okonjo-iweala by 1MCN: 4:17pm On Feb 27, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
God bless Goodluck Jonathan... It is about strong institutions not strong individuals...Systemic approach to governance and using world best technological tools to prevent looting from taking place at all...

'... It is about strong institutions not strong individuals...'

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram On The Back Foot - The Economist / General Names Nigerians Use To Call Products They Use. / Police Arrest A’ibom LG Boss Over APC Chief Murder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.