Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:50 AM

Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London (347 Views)

APC Spent N5 Billion On Buhari’s Chatham House Speech, PDP Campaign Alleges / Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London / Buhari Gets Listed On Chatham House Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by Nwoguphillip: 2:18am On Feb 27, 2015
26 February 2015

1. Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country and largest economy, is at a defining moment, a moment that has great implications beyond the democratic project and beyond the borders of my dear country.

2.Given increasing global linkages, it is in our collective interests that the postponed elections should hold on the rescheduled dates; that they should be free and fair; that their outcomes should be respected by all parties; and that any form of extension, under whichever guise, is unconstitutional and will not be tolerated.

3. Driven by patriotism, influenced by the prevalence and popularity of such drastic measures all over Africa and elsewhere, we fought our way to power. But the global triumph of democracy has shown that another and a preferable path to change is possible.

4. It is much more important that the promise of democracy goes beyond just allowing people to freely choose their leaders. It is much more important that democracy should deliver on the promise of choice, of freedoms, of security of lives and property, of transparency and accountability, of rule of law, of good governance and of shared prosperity.

5. Boko Haram has sadly put Nigeria on the terrorism map, killing more than 13,000 of our nationals, displacing millions internally and externally, and at a time holding on to portions of our territory the size of Belgium. What has been consistently lacking is the required leadership in our battle against insurgency.

6. Let me assure you that if I am elected president, the world will have no cause to worry about Nigeria as it has had to recently; that Nigeria will return to its stabilizing role in West Africa; and that no inch of Nigerian territory will ever be lost to the enemy.

7. But I must emphasize that any war waged on corruption should not be misconstrued as settling old scores or a witch-hunt. I'm running for President to lead Nigeria to prosperity and not adversity.

8. As a progressive party, we must reform our political economy to unleash the pent-up ingenuity and productivity of the Nigerian people thus freeing them from the curse of poverty. We will run a private sector-led economy but maintain an active role for government through strong regulatory oversight and deliberate interventions.

9. On March 28, Nigeria has a decision to make. To vote for the continuity of failure or to elect progressive change. I believe the people will choose wisely.

10. I have heard and read references to me as a former dictator in many respected British newspapers including the well regarded Economist. Let me say without sounding defensive that dictatorship goes with military rule, though some might be less dictatorial than others. I take responsibility for whatever happened under my watch.
Re: Ten Take Aways From The Gen. Buhari’s Chatham House Lecture, London by whitecat2: 3:12am On Feb 27, 2015
Good speech from our incoming president!

(1) (Reply)

Who Looks Better? Buhari Or Gej? / Can Osibanjo\tinubu Get Away With 419scam Sister Country Nigeria Like Obasanjo / FFK Suffering From Substance Abuse.....apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.