Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,154 members, 7,953,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:52 PM

Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off (2982 Views)

Senator Criticizes Elrufai For Paying Off Fulani Herdsmen Terrorizing Kaduna / Osun State Is Paying Full 18,000 Wage, But Anambra Can Not Pay Full 18,000 Wage. / Awolowo's Strategy Is The Only Way To End Bokoharam Insurgency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 9:53am On Feb 27, 2015
Three months after Saudi Arabia made clear it was going to let oil prices keep tumbling, the strategy is showing signs of working.

U.S. drillers are idling rigs at a record pace, gutting investment plans and laying off thousands of workers.

Those steps highlight how the Saudi-led OPEC decision on Nov. 27 to maintain output levels and protect its market share is having the desired effect -- pushing prices down so far that they threaten to curb output in the U.S. and other non-OPEC countries.

Saudi Arabia, the most powerful member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, will maintain that tack when the group next meets in June, according to some of the world’s biggest banks.

The strategy “is working,” Francisco Blanch, head of commodities research at Bank of America Corp. in New York said by phone.

“It is having the effect that we would expect, which is a decline in investment and ultimately supply, and somewhat higher demand. We think this change is for good.”

The number of rigs drilling for oil in the U.S. dropped by 37 last week to 1,019, the fewest since July 2011, data from Baker Hughes Inc. showed Feb. 20. Since Dec. 5, a total of 556 have been taken out of service. Oil explorers including Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Chevron Corp. have announced spending cuts of almost $50 billion since Nov. 1.

The number of rigs drilling for oil in the U.S. dropped by 37 last week to 1,019, the fewest since July 2011, data from Baker Hughes Inc. showed Feb. 20. Since Dec. 5, a total of 556 have been taken out of service. Oil explorers including Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Chevron Corp. have announced spending cuts of almost $50 billion since Nov. 1.
Source:http://nairausd..com/2015/02/saudi-strategy-is-paying-off.html

Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 27, 2015
Diezani was advocating for a cut in supply in order to create demand which was the main tactic always used by OPEC to stabilize prices. I doubt it would have worked like the strategy the Saudis are using to beat the shale producers.

1 Like

Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 10:11am On Feb 27, 2015
J12:
Diezani was advocating for a cut in supply in order to create demand which was the main tactic always used by OPEC to stabilize prices. I doubt it would have worked like the strategy the Saudis are using to beat the shale producers.
Dont blame my brother, i guest the pressure on her(Home) is much.so she have to act fast.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by zimoni(f): 10:11am On Feb 27, 2015
Nice one there.

We shall laugh last.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 10:14am On Feb 27, 2015
US thought their game plan will work this time around.But lets pray for success
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 10:20am On Feb 27, 2015
An Italian CEO of an oil firm said that after the oil crisis, that a barrel of oil will rise up to $200 for the losses

4 Likes

Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ejikeme(m): 10:36am On Feb 27, 2015
peeps do put up cool topics but some oaf from some unknown corner will show up and mess it up.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by major466(m): 11:45am On Feb 27, 2015
I won't mind if oil prices falls to under $10 per barrel. An oil based economy will always be vulnerable to international shocks. Economic diversification is the new language now.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by deskossy(m): 12:33pm On Feb 27, 2015
The Americans will just sit and wait for d price to go up....d oil is still underground, e no dey spoil.they need d price of oil to be 80$ to break even...tthey will sit it out
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2015
ejikeme:
peeps do put up cool topics but some oaf from some unknown corner will show up and mess it up.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by wordcat(m): 12:51pm On Feb 27, 2015
deskossy:
The Americans will just sit and wait for d price to go up....d oil is
still underground, e no dey spoil.they need d price of oil to be 80$ to break even...tthey will sit it out

No country can stop America from producing their oil. If the price of oil falls, dem go buy from us and if we wan intimidate them with price, dem go produce and sell cheaper than our own so d thing na win-win situation for them after al, dem no dey give am food for d place where d thing dey for ground.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by 9jatriot(m): 12:55pm On Feb 27, 2015
International politics and intrigues, the best movie you can watch, non be all these stomach infrastructure and amala politics we de play here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 27, 2015
All this to the detriment of our currency exchange rates.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by blacksta(m): 1:02pm On Feb 27, 2015
I dont understand - if oil prices move upwards it automatically means shale drilling becomes profitable again - The whole point of the saudi scheme was kill off shale drilling by Lowering oil prices - Still doesnt favour most Nations like Nigeria, Iran or Venezuela ( This bunch rely on high oil prices)
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Charpell(m): 6:07am On Mar 01, 2015
blacksta:
I dont understand - if oil prices move upwards it automatically means shale drilling becomes profitable again - The whole point of the saudi scheme was kill off shale drilling by Lowering oil prices - Still doesnt favour most Nations like Nigeria, Iran or Venezuela ( This bunch rely on high oil prices)
America's long term plan, you can't outsmart them
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Charpell(m): 7:24pm On Mar 01, 2015
wordcat:

No country can stop America from producing their oil. If the price of oil falls, dem go buy from us and if we wan intimidate them with price, dem go produce and sell cheaper than our own so d thing na win-win situation for them after al, dem no dey give am food for d place where d thing dey for ground.
American has always had their oil, they just wanted to make oil surplus, so the price will go down
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by san316(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2015
i dont understand this news.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by yomalex(m): 10:29pm On Mar 01, 2015
I remember watching the Prince (Saudi or Jordanian can't remember) talk about the strategy and I just laughed my head off. Most Shale drillers would have thought OPEC would cut production.

Let's just hope further rise will give us another opportunity to build our reserves.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by wordcat(m): 11:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
Charpell:

American has always had their oil, they just wanted to make oil surplus, so the price will go down

Are we saying the same thing?
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ejiro2130(m): 11:52pm On Mar 01, 2015

It would have worked better than this strategy, the problem with what she was proposing is that the Saudis will lose market shares from to the US,i pity her when she and Venezuela leader was begging opec to cut production, what did they do with the extra billions made from high oil prices? ?

I don't think we will see oil price at 100 dollars anytime soon.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by gnykelly(m): 12:19am On Mar 02, 2015
those saud sabi second 101
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by giantstrides(m): 8:34am On Mar 02, 2015
The USA doesn't care that much about the low price of oil, if it gets too low they wil simply halt production and start buying again like they have been doing before. This whole low oil price actually to America's advantage, simply because its helping to slow the growth of powerful countries like Russia, Iran , Venezuela and nigeria. This countries depend on a $100 ber barrel market, iran and russia are already being hit by economic sanctions, iran has to work harder now to find buyers for its oil , the low price of oil is affecting russia seriously, a rouble to a dollar now has fallen seriously about 40% , venezuela is in a crisis, they have a really long queue just to get groceries in their country now, while NIgeria's growth has been expected to slow down this year due to low oil prices. All this powerful countries are worrying to the US as they counter the US influence in their region, so the US is actuallly very comfortablle with the low price of oil, so much so that they are considering exporting their shale oil tech to other countries who have oil but can't explore it.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Charpell(m): 1:44pm On Mar 02, 2015
ejiro2130:

It would have worked better than this strategy, the problem with what she was proposing is that the Saudis will lose market shares from to the US,i pity her when she and Venezuela leader was begging opec to cut production, what did they do with the extra billions made from high oil prices? ?

I don't think we will see oil price at 100 dollars anytime soon.
Trust me when I say it will rise.
The Americans are smart, they brought in shale oil to create the illusion that oil is surplus, their target is to crash oil prices
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Charpell(m): 1:48pm On Mar 02, 2015
giantstrides:
The USA doesn't care that much about the low price of oil, if it gets too expected to slow down this year due to low oil prices. All this powerful countries are worrying to the US as they counter the US influence in their region, so the US is actuallly very comfortablle with the low price of oil, so much so that they are considering exporting their shale oil tech to other countries who have oil but can't explore it.
I thought shale oil is natural, what do you mean by tech
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 2:08pm On Mar 02, 2015
Charpell:

The Americans are smart, they brought in shale oil to create the illusion that oil is surplus, their target is to crash oil prices
smiley
Different thoughts bro
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
Where is Dieziani? Mrs OPEC president?
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 2:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
Keneking:
Where is Dieziani? Mrs OPEC president?
She was elected the presidency recently, remember things just don't work like magic.
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by giantstrides(m): 3:56pm On Mar 02, 2015
Charpell:

I thought shale oil is natural, what do you mean by tech

It's harder to get shale oil, it's quite diff from the conventional means of getting oil, Right now only US companies have that tech.

www.technologyreview.com/news/412912/a-cheaper-way-to-draw-oil-from-shale/
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 4:19pm On Mar 02, 2015
[quote author=giantstrides post=31231877]
It's harder to get shale oil, it's quite diff from the conventional means of getting oil, Right now only US companies have that tech.
www.technologyreview.com/news/412912/a-cheaper-way-to-draw-oil-from-shale/
[/quote/)
If I may ask were can shale be found in the world apart from USA. Please enlightened us brother. Thanks
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ifyan(m): 4:28pm On Mar 02, 2015
Guys it seems you people don't understand how it's affecting USA company's badly. Read news please for better information expecially different sources. Thanks
Re: Saudi Strategy Is Paying Off by ejiro2130(m): 4:52pm On Mar 02, 2015
Charpell:

It's hard for me to trust you on this cause shale tech is no longer in the hands of the Americans alone the Chinese are catching up fast, but am not an expert on this so keeping my fingers crossed!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Standing Rules Of The NIGERIAN SENATE / "English Professors" What Is The Answer To This???? / Those Celebrating Wike's Removal Are Mostly From The SW And The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.