Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,906 members, 7,824,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Elections Are Not Won On Social Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elections Are Not Won On Social Media (1145 Views)

Buhari: 'elections Are Not Always Easy In Africa' / If Elections Are Held 100 Times , Mark Will Always Win -PDP Tells Onjeh / Buari You Have Not Won Yet For Its Not Over. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by theoctopus: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2015
I have seen APC folks deceiving themselves with calculations and computations from social media and masturbating with such analysis. This is what they also did before the Ondo and Ekiti elections

But they will be greatly flattened come 28th of March because elections are not won on social media. Any true politician will tell you that elections are won polling unit by polling unit. Social media helps disseminate information and spread awareness, but the factors that determine elections are vast and sometimes even mundane or peripheral.

The challenge before APC is how much on-the-ground presence do they actually have. While the formation of APC has increased their spread, it is still fallacy to think that social media dominance can automatically translate into real votes on the ground. Majority of voters out there have no Internet connection and are not on any social media platform. The issues that bother them are not even corruption or the many slogans that APC chants. Like they say in politics: All Politics Is Local

The truth is that the main reason that the APC has invested so much on social media and continue to do so is because they were never really planning to win the elections on a free and fair platform. They were planning to rig big time. The idea was that if they make it look like they have a big chance before the elections, it will be easy for people to accept the results when they rig.

But their rigging plan was busted by the postponement of the elections and now they are lost for options since they had no plan B. The Chatham house Event was an attempt to raise some momentum but they were swept aside by the president showing in Baga.

#NeverAgain

1 Like

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by bondingman: 10:58am On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:
I have seen APC folks deceiving themselves with calculations and computations from social media and masturbating with such analysis. This is what they also did before the Ondo and Ekiti elections

But they will be greatly flattened come 28th of March because elections are ot won on social media. Any true politician will tell you that elections are won polling unit by polling unit. Social media helps disseminate information and spread awareness, but the factors that determine elections are vast and sometimes even mundane or peripheral.

The challenge before APC is how much on-the-ground presence do they actually have. While the formation of APC has increased their spread, it sis still fallacy to think that social media dominance can automatically translate into real votes on the ground. Majority of voters out there have no Internet connection and are not on any social media platform. The issues that bother them are not even corruption or the many slogans that APC chants. Like they say in politics: All Politics Is Local

The truth is that the main reason that the APC has invested so much on social media and continue to do so is because they were never really planning to win the elections on a free and fair platform. They were planning to rig big time. The idea was that is they make it look like they have a big chance before the elections, it will be easy for people to accept the results when they rig.

But their rigging plan was busted by the postponement of the elections and now they are lost for options since they had no plan B. The Chatham house Event was an attempt to raise some momentum but they were swept aside by the president showing in Baga.

#NeverAgain
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by egift(m): 11:04am On Feb 28, 2015
- When Jonathan was leading on Social media like Facebook, PDP were very proud and boast of it.
- Immediately, Nigerians stated confronting him with difficult questions and faults in his policies, he ran away.
- The same Jonathan that claims to be modern, is now insulting APC for leading the pack on modern technological platforms.

Buhari/Osinbajo - APC - Nigeria - Progress!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 11:11am On Feb 28, 2015
I keep hearing this social media didn't predict Ekiti thing and I've always ignored it. Social media, internet polls actually predicted a win for Fayose.

I think it was NOI polls and Omojuwa on Twitter posted it the night before. I remember this because I was thinking it couldn't be right. So when you guys say social media doesn't matter, think again.

Again elections don't take place on Twitter but people on Twitter vote and have families. These are not people that are isolated and just dropped from heaven, they have people they talk to. I'm on Twitter and for that reason, news gets to me faster than the regular person. I then go ahead and educate those not as active on Twitter about the news.

You'll agree with me that everyone on Twitter has families and most families share the same views

Please you guys are mixing this thing up, APC is the opposition. APC is still a minority party, how would it be then that are planning to rig massively? The PDP has all the federal might and it's APC that'll win through rigging?? This doesn't add up my guy.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by ozoigbondu: 11:12am On Feb 28, 2015
A case study that shows elections are not won on social media.Remember the november 17 governorship elections in my beloved Anambra state.The APC candidate chris nwabueze ngige won massively on nairaland,facebook and all sovial network.Everybody thought he would win without breaking a sweat but on the d day he lost he came a distant third with PDP who had only a week of campagin taking second place

Fayose and Fayemi saga is a very funny one.After all the media hype of fayemi he was totally crushed lossing all the local government including his own ward.The match ended 16-0

4 Likes

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 28, 2015
Ask dem on social media wad PVC is and dey won't tell ya undecided ranting on twitter and facebook, making noize.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by Rad1cal: 11:18am On Feb 28, 2015
mrmetoo1:
I keep hearing this social media didn't predict Ekiti thing and I've always ignored it. Social media, internet polls actually predicted a win for Fayose.

I think it was NOI polls and Omojuwa on Twitter posted it the night before. I remember this because I was thinking it couldn't be right. So when you guys say social media doesn't matter, think again.

Again elections don't take place on Twitter but people on Twitter vote and have families. These are not people that are isolated and just dropped from heaven, they have people they talk to. I'm on Twitter and for that reason, news gets to me faster than the regular person. I then go ahead and educate those not as active on Twitter about the news.

You'll agree with me that everyone on Twitter has families and most families share the same views

Please you guys are mixing this thing up, APC is the opposition. APC is still a minority party, how would it be then that are planning to rig massively? The PDP has all the federal might and it's APC that'll win through rigging?? This doesn't add up my guy.

Why the lies ? Fayemi was clearly dusting Fayose on social media.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by theoctopus: 11:24am On Feb 28, 2015
mrmetoo1:

So because you are on twitter, you automatically determine the opinion of your entire family? What hogwash! All Politics is local. People vote for a vast majority of reasons. Also, while the APC is shouting change, they forget that the same rule applies to their state governors!

Secondly, what makes you assume that the opposition cannot rig? When Tinubu paid Justice Salami to give him a favourable judgement, was he not in opposition? Rigging is about planning and funding not whether you are in government or opposition.

Even in the LGA elections APC conducted in Lagos, they lost many LGAs and had to announce a different result at Alausa. Tinubu never plans for a free and fair election but #NeverAgain
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 11:25am On Feb 28, 2015
Rad1cal:

Why the lies ? Fayemi was clearly dusting Fayose on social media.

Dude, I don't care if you believe me or not. This is the truth. I don't have a single reason to lie.

Please next time before you call someone a liar do yourself a favor and do a little research.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/05/ekiti-2014-controversy-opinion-poll/
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by meforyou1(m): 11:25am On Feb 28, 2015
Elections are won on the ground, not by 'Nairaland Likes'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by theoctopus: 11:28am On Feb 28, 2015
mrmetoo1:

Dude, I don't care if you believe me or not. This is the truth. I don't have a single reason to lie.

Please next time before you call someone a liar do yourself a favor and do a little research.

The link you have posted actually contradicts your point. First, the news item started with the sentence "controversy trailed the news". So even the writer admitted that the media considered that poll as controversial.

Secondly, the poll said Fayose led by 2 points but Fayose won by 16:0

So it doesnt really help your point
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by theoctopus: 11:38am On Feb 28, 2015
egift:
- When Jonathan was leading on Social media like Facebook, PDP were very proud and boast of it.
- Immediately, Nigerians stated confronting him with difficult questions and faults in his policies, he ran away.
- The same Jonathan that claims to be modern, is now insulting APC for leading the pack on modern technological platforms.

Buhari/Osinbajo - APC - Nigeria - Progress!

Jonathan has never stopped using his Facebook account. Infact, even with all the APC noise, Jonathan still has one of the highest Facebook follower-ship in Nigeria. But that is not a yardstick for winning the elections. Social media is important and will always be but then you deceive yourself when you think that social media dominance is automatically translated to votes on the ground

Let me ask you a simple question. How many social media celebrities like Omojuwa are one-tenth as popular as Aki and Pawpaw or even MamaG or Saka? How many people know Omojuwa outside social media?
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 11:58am On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

The link you have posted actually contradicts your point. First, the news item started with the sentence "controversy trailed the news". So even the writer admitted that the media considered that poll as controversial.

Secondly, the poll said Fayose led by 2 points but Fayose won by 16:0

So it doesnt really help your point

Wow please read and understand. Controversial because Fayemi didn't agree with it. I can post a link where all they did was talk about Fayose winning the poll without the controversy. I just didn't think that mattered.

As for the points, the poll predicted. Polls like that are a reflection, a representation. No one is expecting it to be a 100% accurate.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by Rad1cal: 12:05pm On Feb 28, 2015
mrmetoo1:

Stop blabbing and consider a more recent link below giving Fayemi a whooping 68% preference

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/ekiti-guber-election-poll-rates-fayemi-ahead-fayose-bamidele/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 12:08pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

So because you are on twitter, you automatically determine the opinion of your entire family? What hogwash! All Politics is local. People vote for a vast majority of reasons. Also, while the APC is shouting change, they forget that the same rule applies to their state governors!

Secondly, what makes you assume that the opposition cannot rig? When Tinubu paid Justice Salami to give him a favourable judgement, was he not in opposition? Rigging is about planning and funding not whether you are in government or opposition.

Even in the LGA elections APC conducted in Lagos, they lost many LGAs and had to announce a different result at Alausa. Tinubu never plans for a free and fair election but #NeverAgain

Wow the way you come to your conclusions are rather amazing. People on Twitter have their own circle of influence. I'm not determining their decision but I'm echoing their decisions. I can tell you for a fact that my entire family are for Buhari. I can also tell you for a fact that most families lean the same way politically.

Apart from family influence, some of these guys that are active on Twitter are actually active in real life. Most of them organize rallies, town halls etc. Omojuwa organized a march in January that was quite sizeable. Enough is enough (EiE) started out as a social media campaign. The subsidy protests started from social media. Bring back our girls started from social media. If want to keep believing that the social media has no impact on the realities on ground then I'm sorry.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 12:11pm On Feb 28, 2015
Rad1cal:

Stop blabbing and consider a more recent link below giving Fayemi a whooping 68% preference

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/ekiti-guber-election-poll-rates-fayemi-ahead-fayose-bamidele/

You don't have to argue like a child. State your points and I'll state mine. Why are you talking about blabbing? Some of you guys are incapable of having a proper discussion.

The other poll shows Fayemi winning and that's ok. My point still remains the polls are always not unanimous as you guys want us to believe.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by theoctopus: 12:19pm On Feb 28, 2015
mrmetoo1:

Wow the way you come to your conclusions are rather amazing. People on Twitter have their own circle of influence. I'm not determining their decision but I'm echoing their decisions. I can tell you for a fact that my entire family are for Buhari. I can also tell you for a fact that most families lean the same way politically.

Apart from family influence, some of these guys that are active on Twitter are actually active in real life. Most of them organize rallies, town halls etc. Omojuwa organized a march in January that was quite sizeable. Enough is enough (EiE) started out as a social media campaign. The subsidy protests started from social media. Bring back our girls started from social media. If want to keep believing that the social media has no impact on the realities on ground then I'm sorry.

You are repeating the same fables over and over again. Families can have the same political affiliation but that is mostly determined by the very influential members of the family not by the ones on twitter or Facebook. The subsidy protest gained acceptance because the issue affected everyone, not because of social media influence. Same goes for Bring Back our girls. Social media is just a communication channel. Its the issue that determines how much it influences the public not because its from social media.

Like I said before, social media is important and very key to society today but you still cannot translate that into votes in real life. Even in America, people still vote for many different reasons including color, tribe and stomach infrastructure. Yes, even in America!
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by mrmetoo1: 1:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
theoctopus:

You are repeating the same fables over and over again. Families can have the same political affiliation but that is mostly determined by the very influential members of the family not by the ones on twitter or Facebook. The subsidy protest gained acceptance because the issue affected everyone, not because of social media influence. Same goes for Bring Back our girls. Social media is just a communication channel. Its the issue that determines how much it influences the public not because its from social media.

Like I said before, social media is important and very key to society today but you still cannot translate that into votes in real life. Even in America, people still vote for many different reasons including color, tribe and stomach infrastructure. Yes, even in America!

What fables? The fact is social media played a huge part in all these movements. Then list the things that determine political affiliations, family plays a huge part because they have the same experiences. It's more likely that the guys on social media represent their family's affiliations than not. You're talking like what applies to a regular family doesn't apply to those on social media. You guys always categorize social media like a set of people that are just on their own. Those are representatives of the society as a while whether you like it or not.

My mom for example is not on Twitter but she receives messages through her whatsapp. That's social media. My dad got to know about the Ekiti tape through whatsapp also. The world is getting more connected. You hear people that are not necessarily on Twitter and do on echoing what's being discussed on these networks.
Re: Elections Are Not Won On Social Media by WisdomFlakes: 2:02pm On Feb 28, 2015
Go and ask Jonathan whether he feels that Social media doesn't win elections, considering that he just recently CREATED a special Cabinet Level position, Special SENIOR Adviser on Social Media, and put Obi Asika there.

That is how seriously GEJ himself takes Social media Impact, and you are here talking shyt. Siddon dia like mumu. E go do Una like Film.

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Chief Of Staff Writes EFCC To Investigate APC Leaders / How Akinwunmi Adeshina's AFDB Ambition Led To Nigeria Morroco Spat / Yes, Something Must Be Wrong With The Yoruba Nation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.