Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? (27268 Views)

Why Doctors & Nurses Inject The Buttocks More / Doctors & Nurses, What Sickness Is This? Or Is It HIV? / There Are More Nigerian Nurses In Europe Than In Nigeria – EU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by naijafresh: 12:33am On Mar 01, 2015
skillzbae:
Very true, dou most of the rude ones are auxilary nurses, i ws jux discusing the matter wit hubby ystade, i ws in d clinic on wednesday nd a tiny silly girl ws talking to pple anyhw both old nd young, wen it got to my turn nd she was rude to me, i gave her a dirty slap, all others composed themselves immediately. I wonder y pple who are supposed to b caring wil b so rude, in a private hospital for dat matter.

You slapped a nurse who you felt was being rude to you?
You are very lucky you didn't try that in my hospital, even if the cleaner or the gate man is being 'rude' to you if i ever hear or come across such nonsense I will have you arrested on the spot, sick or not and make sure i drag you through the courts till you and your family are broke for generations to come paying compensation.

It is your type that talk with their hands, beating your wife/husband, housemaid, colleagues, driver and children to a pulp because of your misplaced ego and feeling of self worth.

You are in a 'civilised' society believe it or not and there is no place for violence. If you can't express yourself verbally or go through the right channels then leave it unsaid. Will you go to a bank, police station, airport or a supermarket and slap someone? I guess you probably would come to think of it.
Why don't you go abroad and slap people who are rude to you?

We don't need people like you in any society

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by naijafresh: 12:53am On Mar 01, 2015
In defence of nurses, yes I am in defence of Nurses since i can see this is a nurse bashing thread.. the rudeness you may encounter is as a result of poor upbringing in nigerian society in general.
Members of the public think Nurse = househelp and therefore the nurses are at their beck and call for every single wish and command no matter how trivial or silly.

A lot of nigerian patients are rude and demanding, shouting for assistance and expecting the nurse to come immediately as if they are the onlu ones in the universe.
In a ward with 24 sick people with different degrees of illness, screaming for the nurse to get your mobile phone out of your handbag when she is trying to help someone who is bleeding to death or in pain is not going to win you any favours. So what is the nurse is watching TV is she a machine? does she deserve a rest period?

There should be a nurse and an auxiliary nurse ratio of 1:1:6 ie one nurse and assistant to every 6 patients not 24 or 36 patients. How many times has anyone ever seen a ward with a full complement of nurses? It never happens, they are off with sickness, depression and recovering from physical assault from angry patients who think the nurse made them ill.
She/he is very aware you are ill, in pain etc but she has to prioritise so don't make her job any harder by being rude, physically abusive or treating her like dirt, most people react to a smile or kind gesture with a reciprocal attitude. If a nurse has offended you tell her so in the manner you would like to be told rather than the 'do you know who i am?' approach.

Nurses are abused, overworked and underappreciated not to talk of underpaid.
Guess where the majority of your good nurses and doctors have gone?

To USA and Europe! those who are left are making plans as they speak too so try and be kind and courteous. All that said, there are indeed very rude and lazy nurses and doctors out there. But why are they so? simply because they are products of society, everywhere you go you see rude nigerians, in the bank, post office, airport, government offices, shopping malls, cinema and the streets there are rude nigerians!

The world dislikes nigerians just as much as they dislike Americans because they are loud, rude, think they are better than everyone else and their money buys them everything and gets them anywhere.

Be different, treat others as you would like to be treated.
Charity begins at home

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by lepasharon(f): 1:02am On Mar 01, 2015
naijafresh are you a nurse ?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ganganawuj: 1:09am On Mar 01, 2015
I must say that am very happy for this kind of topic cos it's jst too too similar to my schl. assignment on the topic that says 'How can we solve the problem of a brilliant and skillful medical nurse that people are running away from his/her treatment'?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 01, 2015
sauceny:

But why are you afraid of needles in the 1st place¿
who wasnt at a young age?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by sundaymike59: 2:52am On Mar 01, 2015
Get The Most Effective Herbal Drugs That Cures Weak Erection. RANDY is very effective drug in stopping premature ejaculation,giving you a hard erection that last on and on is now in town. it is made of the highest quality of herbal ingredient,carefully­ tested and homogenized by a team of dedicated scientist. Test it and become one more of its testimony. the good news is that it has no side effect.....call +2347039656182.....h­ome delivery nation wide.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Wristler: 4:08am On Mar 01, 2015
A lot of pple know nothing abt nursing, and nurses. If majority are allegedly said to behave somehow, then there is something wrong along the line.

We don't expect that rudeness is taught to them in schools or at home but it seems to be learnt along the line ad the personality of each individual nurses get corrupted by several anomalies that exists within their field and to wch nobody seems to/ few seems to be concerned abt.

I liken Naija nurses to the Naija Police.

Underpaid, Under-respected, Under- considered, Under-equipped, Short-staffed, Undertrained, Under-motivated.. The list goes on and on........

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by chukwusi(m): 4:30am On Mar 01, 2015
I don't blame those of you bashing nurses. its because of the way nollywood portray the profession that makes you think they are your servants.

licensed nurses are great . the profession is growing time will tell

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 5:17am On Mar 01, 2015
It's not a Nigerian thing. Nurses going in are generally one of the nicest, most compassionate people out there. Unfortunately, some of them tend to become COLD over time. But why?

Because people are goddam VAMPIRES/EVIL SPAWN!

It is something of a stereotype, and many of them do escape this route, but there is some truth to it as well - they're only human after all. I support them because I've seen the shyt they're dealt, and witnessed some of the transformations, and the [valid] reasons behind them.

In short stop being so EVIL, eh?

This is a Public Service Announcement cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 6:22am On Mar 01, 2015
Ain't we all rude? Come to NL and see bashing.... Once SB doesn't agree with your post.... Na to insult you and your generation.

Btw... I have seen very terrible nurses. When when you are in labor... No mercies... No pampering. The sound so pained.

Yea... Seen some cute, smart, chic, nice ones too. Found in good private hospitals.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Konnektions146(m): 6:29am On Mar 01, 2015
naijafresh:

You are very lucky you didn't try that in my hospital, even if the cleaner or the gate man is being 'rude' to you if i ever hear or come across such nonsense I will have you arrested on the spot, sick or not and make sure i drag you through the courts till you and your family are broke for generations to come paying compensation.

It is your type that talk with their hands, beating your wife/husband, housemaid, colleagues, driver and children to a pulp because of your misplaced ego and feeling of self worth.

You are in a 'civilised' society believe it or not and there is no place for violence. If you can't express yourself verbally or go through the right channels then leave it unsaid. Will you go to a bank, police station, airport or a supermarket and slap someone? I guess you probably would come to think of it.

You ate obviously guilty of this thing,

I rarely use the hospital myself but I know someone close to me will soon be a frequent visitor to the hospitals but my dear, if any nurse talks to her rudely or insult her , the nurse would be advised accordingly.

If a nurse does not understand what it entails to be one, why thread that career path?

A caregiver should understand what he/she signed for and be true to it
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by tpiah01: 7:21am On Mar 01, 2015
frankolala:
Your observation is quite correct but it will interest you to know that except in government intuitions most of the nurses you come across in private settings are quacks. The foundation of nursing training entails having empathy,respect and multi-disciplinary approach in providing holistic care to every client/patient. Also be nice to nurses Nigerian nurses are over worked, stressed out and under paid thanks

your post is partly true, partly debatable.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by dober(m): 7:32am On Mar 01, 2015
lanxebony:
Op, dats funny bt uve met few nurses.
1. Most nurses u saw in d private hosp u guyz use are nt nurses bt auzillaries who doesn knw d unique function of nurses

2. In general hosp do u guyz knw dat there are shortage of staff(majorly nurses) imagine a nurse who has to manage 3wards in state own hospital, whereas 3nurse are suppose to run a shift

3. Do u knw majorly patients are fraustrating. Imagine wen a pt is calling on a nurse dat he wants a urinal and anoda is shouting of pain at another corner anoda is due to 4 drug. The nurse has to make use of her/his triage system to response to their need. Yet many will complain dat d nurse is hostile and partile.

4. When human are faced with stress from human stressors their mode swing and pple wont see d sweet side of dem any longer bt their hostile view.

5. Most hospitals are not equip with enof instruments and dis nurses have to improvise with d available, yet most patients will complain of ill treatment.
If resources are provided 4 work and human power is not overuse. U will see d 1daful side of nurses.
Nurses are great listners
Nice one.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by obontami: 7:32am On Mar 01, 2015
Lagusta:
Some nurses are not just rude, they can also be downright stupid!!!!

And they believe they know all, whereas they know nothing!!!!

The only nurses I love and respect are trauma nurses, labour ward nurses and the anaesthetic nurses.....

All others just do nothing but gossip, watch African magic, yab patients, grow fat with big butts, and develop cerebral atrophy later in life....
true that
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by donodion(m): 7:55am On Mar 01, 2015
Rexhandsome:
I have discovered that Nigerian nurses are always rude and mean to their patients.This is prevalent in both public and private hospitals.You will walk in and see nurses playing with the doctors but immediately they sight a patient,their attitude changes.They will never smile and will always talk to you rudely,as if you are irritating them.I wonder if anyone has had a nasty encounter with a Nigerian nurse.
I will blame it on the training school and their supervising nurses while they were in training.
Fix the problem from nursing training institutions first and you'll see positive changes.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by lanxebony(m): 7:56am On Mar 01, 2015
U guyz see nurses according 2 nollywood. Nollywood orientatn about nurses has to be corrected or dey should be sue for libel. Nurses are not servant as patient see dem, even an ambulant patient will still call a nurse 4 bed pan imagine.
I had some ill feeling about nurses not until a friend told me a story i would lyk to share here
A certain had a wife who is a nurse. On a faithful day this woman after she had finished serving bedpan to almost all d pts , she went to d toilet to emptied it. Her husband came and he was told to wait on her dat she went to empty bedpans in d toilet. The man decided to check on her so as she would be fast coz she had already closed her duty and she had handed over d report.
Wen her husband saw wat she was doing , he was mad at her and asked her to quit nursing bcoz of d idea of emptying poo of others and dis woman had a week to be promoted to a chief nursing officer( c.n.o).
Lo and behold d woman quit d job. 3yrs later his husband was severly ill and was hospitalized, his wife who was 1ce a nurse was wt him at d hospital.
The man was in pain and wanted to poo he has to call on d nurse dt he wants to poo. The nurse came with a bedpan, served it and discard it. His wife asked him dat so, he can request a bedpan.
D man was so sorry and begged his wife to go back into nursing but d wife told him is 2 late coz she has almost reach d peak b4 her husband stopped her.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Mbediogu(m): 8:09am On Mar 01, 2015
Rexhandsome:
I have discovered that Nigerian nurses are always rude and mean to their patients.This is prevalent in both public and private hospitals.You will walk in and see nurses playing with the doctors but immediately they sight a patient,their attitude changes.They will never smile and will always talk to you rudely,as if you are irritating them.I wonder if anyone has had a nasty encounter with a Nigerian nurse.

Yes o. Experienced doctors play along to avoid their insults and get the job moving, but some are damn good and sexy too. Remember by virtue of their numbers no other workers group can stand them. And by the degree of stress of work they bear, you cant blame them too much being mainly women. This is perhaps cause of high level of divorce they experience. They make good wives only in the hands of those who understand them but unfortunately young doctors these days are looking elsewhere. They are good though.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ruggedplexus(f): 8:11am On Mar 01, 2015
Well,to an extent you could be right.but notwithstanding,everyone has got different personalities,background n upbringing.some people are naturally mean and being a nurse wouldn't change that mean character.secondly,some dive into the proffession for the money and not the job and all that it entails,so they get easily stressed up with the job,get pissed off with d appearance of patients,feel relunctant in attending to them because nursing to such people is a job and not a calling.and lastly,the new generation nurses can not be found acting or reacting in such mean manners.nurses are supposed to be care givers...buh we cnt but have bad eggs.#i am a nurse and I am not mean/rude#

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Mbediogu(m): 8:13am On Mar 01, 2015
[quote author=Rexhandsome post=31171151]I have discovered that Nigerian nurses are always rude and mean to their patients.

Yes o. Experienced doctors play along to avoid their insults and get the job moving, but some are damn good and sexy too. Remember by virtue of their numbers no other workers group can stand them. And by the degree of stress of work they bear, you cant blame them too much being mainly women. This is perhaps cause of high level of divorce they experience. They make good wives only in the hands of those who understand them but unfortunately young doctors these days are looking elsewhere. They are good though.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by obontami: 8:19am On Mar 01, 2015
yemicoal:
Most times they act that way if you look broke, some of those nurses are hoes and won't mind giving you a bj on your sick bed as long as u got that cash.. angry angry
yeah that's true especially about the blow*job thang
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ocelot2006(m): 8:39am On Mar 01, 2015
lanxebony:
Op, dats funny bt uve met few nurses.
1. Most nurses u saw in d private hosp u guyz use are nt nurses bt auzillaries who doesn knw d unique function of nurses

2. In general hosp do u guyz knw dat there are shortage of staff(majorly nurses) imagine a nurse who has to manage 3wards in state own hospital, whereas 3nurse are suppose to run a shift

3. Do u knw majorly patients are fraustrating. Imagine wen a pt is calling on a nurse dat he wants a urinal and anoda is shouting of pain at another corner anoda is due to 4 drug. The nurse has to make use of her/his triage system to response to their need. Yet many will complain dat d nurse is hostile and partile.

4. When human are faced with stress from human stressors their mode swing and pple wont see d sweet side of dem any longer bt their hostile view.

5. Most hospitals are not equip with enof instruments and dis nurses have to improvise with d available, yet most patients will complain of ill treatment.
If resources are provided 4 work and human power is not overuse. U will see d 1daful side of nurses.
Nurses are great listners

Bros, you cannot justify their actions. Every one faces some form of stress at work, from Doctors to Bankers, Engineers to even the little caterer at restaurant.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Dhellake: 9:10am On Mar 01, 2015
Tval:
Stay your lane bro, i didn't tag you with the post.
Sent you a pm, expecting your reply
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Rexhandsome(m): 10:06am On Mar 01, 2015
skillzbae:
Very true, dou most of the rude ones are auxilary nurses, i ws jux discusing the matter wit hubby ystade, i ws in d clinic on wednesday nd a tiny silly girl ws talking to pple anyhw both old nd young, wen it got to my turn nd she was rude to me, i gave her a dirty slap, all others composed themselves immediately. I wonder y pple who are supposed to b caring wil b so rude, in a private hospital for dat matter.

I understand how you felt but you shouldn't have slapped her.In other countries,you would have been arrested for assault and battery.The best way to deal with rude nurses is to ignore them.If you can't do that,a little shouting is not bad but don't beat anyone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by naijafresh: 10:41am On Mar 01, 2015
lepasharon:
naijafresh are you a nurse ?

No I am not a nurse, I don't have to be a nurse to realise that yes some nurses are rude but not all nurses are rude.
Nurses are also human and do not deserve the abusive treatment they tend to get from members of the public.
The banker that comes in and insults a nurse is also the person who mistreats you when you go to the bank.
Nigerian society is lacking in manners in general and I say again, there is rudeness and shoddy treatment everywhere from the airport to the bank. Indiscipline is everywhere that is why driving is such a nightmare in Nigeria
Everyone is guilty

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by candyx: 10:43am On Mar 01, 2015
Thank you for bringing this topic up. I was at the federal staff hospital Abuja to register for antenatal on Friday when I got the shock of my life by a small girl that is no more than 21 years old. It all started with the cashier not giving me my receipt at the counter (an error that came from them when a staff of theirs forgot to give me my receipt after registration), instead of the girl to explain how it is being done all she did was to snub me and call for the next person even after telling her what she is meant to do the girl acted as if I was not talking to her. I went down stairs to ask for my receipt at the registration desk, that was another drama altogether, the guy at the desk was so rude and was not even ready to check for the receipt, another patient had to step in but what came out of the guys mouth was "madam, don't teach me my job, she should have stayed at home and not come to the hospital" I went up stairs to meet with the nurse that attended to us that morning, she was not even ready to listen and was trying to blame me for getting upset over the whole treatment. They really need to do something about this because is really sad to see the way they treat sick people and pregnant people in the hospital. I came from a family of nurses and doctors but I have never seen people being treated this way in my life. The funny part of it all is that it happened in the morning, just starting the days job.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by naijafresh: 10:52am On Mar 01, 2015
Konnektions146:

You ate obviously guilty of this thing,

I rarely use the hospital myself but I know someone close to me will soon be a frequent visitor to the hospitals but my dear, if any nurse talks to her rudely or insult her , the nurse would be advised accordingly.

If a nurse does not understand what it entails to be one, why thread that career path?

A caregiver should understand what he/she signed for and be true to it

I am not guilty of being rude to nurses or patients my friend. So show some maturity and don't get personal here and accuse me of such unless you have the evidence.

My point is don't be rude to anyone whether they are a nurse, driver or gateman.
It is pride and arrogance that makes one take offence easily, give everyone a chance and treat them like you would want to be treated

It's not hard..
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Tval(m): 11:11am On Mar 01, 2015
Dhellake:
Sent you a pm, expecting your reply

I replied few hours after you sent me a pm, I sent everything, I thought it sent.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
The situation is not peculiar to the healthcare industry alone, it runs the whole gamut of our national life: universities, government secretariats, banks and financial houses, churches, mosques. When I was in Nigeria I thought it was standard procedure, that people have to be rude to assert their authority, or to offer more efficient service delivery (grin), anything to rationalize this unconscionable reality.

But alas, what I found out after spending time in about three continents of the world in the last six years is that Nigerians are naturally rude people! Hate to say it but that's the only logical conclusion I could think of. Maybe its stress, poverty, anxiety, genetic causes;whatever it is, we need to work on ourselves as people and care for one another.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by skillzbae(f): 1:10pm On Mar 01, 2015
naijafresh:

Ok, i wont b able to reply the four of u who mentioned me. I av employee's nd i have perfect working conditions with my staffs. D first tin i do is to teach dem proper ethics nd hw to b nice nd friendly to customers. As a business person, u are nothing without ur customers, so u shuld appreciate dem nd b nice to dem. U can hardly see a rude nurse abroad. So, nxt time, instead of thinking hw to make ursef rich with other pple's money, if u av rude staff, go and train dem, because if u lose all ur customers because of a rude staff, u will fold up nd dt staff wil leave u once u cant pay him or her. Happy new month

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by skillzbae(f): 1:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
Rexhandsome:

I understand how you felt but you shouldn't have slapped her.In other countries,you would have been arrested for assault and battery.The best way to deal with rude nurses is to ignore them.If you can't do that,a little shouting is not bad but don't beat anyone.
Tnk u for talking wit wisdom. D tin is some of dis nurses can b so rude. I think my condition took d beta part of me dat day, i went for ante-natal nd after over five hours of waiting, i ws nt attended to nd one silly girl ws rude, i ws so pissed, wil try to apologies nxt week on my nxt visit

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by amokeme(f): 2:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
elobyobi:

So you're justifying their rudeness with their workload eh kwa?
You might as well say market women should shout at their customers because they spend hours under the sun selling their wares. Look there is no job that is not stressful in Nigeria. And there is no excuse for being rude and foul-mouthed except for mental illness.
Nursing schools should revisit their curriculum and add comprehensive lessons on proper etiquette IN AN AFRICAN SETTING...
nursing school ke?? a good number of them (especially the ones in private hospitals) didn't go to any nursing school o.. they are auxiliary nurses undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Konnektions146(m): 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
naijafresh:

I am not guilty of being rude to nurses or patients my friend. So show some maturity and don't get personal here and accuse me of such unless you have the evidence.

My point is don't be rude to anyone whether they are a nurse, driver or gateman.
It is pride and arrogance that makes one take offence easily, give everyone a chance and treat them like you would want to be treated

It's not hard..

You sound very arrogant.

You don't know me just as I don't know u, i have people work under me and some work for me, I know how I treat them and thus I won't take any health personnel insult anyone close to me because hr/she feels without him/her nothing would work.

All I am saying is understand whatever your profession/job entails and Be tru to it, diligently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Editi Effiong: I Got Nailed By COVID-19, I Got So Sick And Begged To Die / Sad Picture Of Maternity Ward In Igun Hospital In Osun State / Ladies Check Your Bra Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.