Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,512 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? (27333 Views)

Why Doctors & Nurses Inject The Buttocks More / Doctors & Nurses, What Sickness Is This? Or Is It HIV? / There Are More Nigerian Nurses In Europe Than In Nigeria – EU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Filmewell(f): 8:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
skillzbae:
Very true, dou most of the rude ones are auxilary nurses, i ws jux discusing the matter wit hubby ystade, i ws in d clinic on wednesday nd a tiny silly girl ws talking to pple anyhw both old nd young, wen it got to my turn nd she was rude to me, i gave her a dirty slap, all others composed themselves immediately. I wonder y pple who are supposed to b caring wil b so rude, in a private hospital for dat matter.
clap for urself. u slapped an adult becos u know she will not retaliate try it outside where all things are equal u go swear. u are the mean individual.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by annygal(f): 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2015
[/color][color=#770077]
AGgal:
Not all nurses are rude!

Personally, I'm always very friendly with my patients. Friendly to a fault and sometimes the patients try to take advantage of that.
So, I don't blame the "rude" ones for being rude. Not everyone can take some patient's excesses.

And its not even about the profession but the individuals. Most of my rude colleagues didn't just become rude in nursing, they are naturally rude and lack home training.

There are rude people everywhere. In the market, in the bank, in restraunts, in schools, etc!
I had an 8hrs post-op pt as a nurse, n after I begged her nt eat she felt I was been rude n went ahead 2 eat abacha,wen she started vomiting wit pains 4rm her surgery,she n her relatives started asking 4 hlp,i had other pts 2 attend 2,tell me if u were in my shoes hw wld u react,dats is ntin compared to wot some pts n their relatives do to annoy nurses on duty.bt it takes a lot of courage nt 2 lose it some times.pls giv nurses some credits.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by skillzbae(f): 8:52pm On Feb 28, 2015
Filmewell:

clap for urself. u slapped an adult becos u know she will not retaliate try it outside where all things are equal u go swear. u are the mean individual.
If she is dumb enuf to insult pple whose money r used to pay her salary, den she deserved it. U r entitled to ur opinon, dts ur biz.. Even after dat, d girl ws stil rude to a man who removed his belt nd almost flogd her.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Reaper231(m): 8:56pm On Feb 28, 2015
When yu go to d labour ward yu will wonder if women were born to be cuel to women. Yu see d level of cruelty metted out to pregnant women yet we men will expect that women out to be more compassionate to pregnant women. A woman is sceaming in pains and wat u hear frm d nurse is "madam abeg allow person hear word oh. Whrn una dey do d thing e dey sweet yu I dey there?". Has anyone ever seen a woman even standing up for another pregnant woman to sit down? I haven't though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by eyinjuege: 8:58pm On Feb 28, 2015
elobyobi:

So you're justifying their rudeness with their workload eh kwa?
You might as well say market women should shout at their customers because they spend hours under the sun selling their wares. Look there is no job that is not stressful in Nigeria. And there is no excuse for being rude and foul-mouthed except for mental illness.
Nursing schools should revisit their curriculum and add comprehensive lessons on proper etiquette IN AN AFRICAN SETTING...

Emmm, sorry but most Nigerians are naturally rude, yes even the market women. Maybe its something to do with the water we drink or the soil where our food comes grin grin. A lot of clients and customers are equally as rude, and impatient. Everyone is just aggressive angry angry.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Bowaley17(m): 9:03pm On Feb 28, 2015
Mehn...they are so so rude... If any of them tells me rubbish,i reply them immediately...
IamBOWALEY

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Reaper231(m): 9:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
An incident took place in calabar where a nirse neglected a woman who was in serious pains after childbrith. Ignored d woman and by d time her hubby came in and raised alarm for doctors to come it was too late. D woman died and it took d intervention of d police and security as d hisband almost beat d living day light out of d nurse. Pls I think our nurses need continuous education on how to relate with patients. Also nigerians are fond of leaving things to God. God will nt come down from heaven to exercise ur right and sue d hospital and persons involved for professional negligence

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 28, 2015
Hmm,ifyou do your job well,no one will report you.
Filmewell:

one day u will be reported and no one will cae if u are laid.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by edydamsel(f): 9:16pm On Feb 28, 2015
i want to be nurse,i want to make a difference,i want to be given achance but i'm still striving
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by babiephase: 9:16pm On Feb 28, 2015
When i heard people talking on dis issue it baffles me a lot. Though we have some dat are bad but wit my own litttle experience d patient relative and patients caused it most. There was one tym like dat dat a px relative was urinating at d wrong place. And i told her jokingly"mummy pls nxt tym elp us to move inside a little bit,d nxt tin was "u r very rude,am i ur mate. I just kept quiet and walked away. And dia r some px dat no mata ur effort on dem dey will not appreciate it and dia r some dat dey will always pray for. U and u will feel like caring for dem d more. Coupled wit WOMAN ATTITUDE, come and see d way some female doctors behave to px atyms.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 28, 2015
The do that none sense because there is nobody to punish them. I heard they beef doctors too.

They behave as if they are doing you a favour even after you have paid through your nose for the useless services they render, that is if they

care to render any.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 28, 2015
Reaper231:
An incident took place in calabar where a nirse neglected a woman who was in serious pains after childbrith. Ignored d woman and by d time her hubby came in and raised alarm for doctors to come it was too late. D woman died and it took d intervention of d police and security as d hisband almost beat d living day light out of d nurse. Pls I think our nurses need continuous education on how to relate with patients. Also nigerians are fond of leaving things to God. God will nt come down from heaven to exercise ur right and sue d hospital and persons involved for professional negligence

Nigerian Nurses? Run for your dear life ooooo. Most times it is not the sickness that kill our people, but .....................

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by lanxebony(m): 9:39pm On Feb 28, 2015
elobyobi:

You might as well say market women should shout at their customers because they spend hours under the sun selling their wares. Look there is no job that is not stressful in Nigeria. And there is no excuse for being rude and foul-mouthed except for mental illness.
Nursing schools should revisit their curriculum and add comprehensive lessons on proper etiquette IN AN AFRICAN SETTING...

Guy send ur relative to a nursing sch and see if dey dnt take moral lesson and behavioural science.
And do u KNW dat some patient need to be strict with and some need to b calm with.
Bcoz u saw one grl wearing white in ur area wt blue and red pen resting in her breast pocket.
Do u think she is a rn

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by moshoodn(m): 10:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
lanxebony:
Op, dats funny bt uve met few nurses.
1. Most nurses u saw in d private hosp u guyz use are nt nurses bt auzillaries who doesn knw d unique function of nurses

2. In general hosp do u guyz knw dat there are shortage of staff(majorly nurses) imagine a nurse who has to manage 3wards in state own hospital, whereas 3nurse are suppose to run a shift

3. Do u knw majorly patients are fraustrating. Imagine wen a pt is calling on a nurse dat he wants a urinal and anoda is shouting of pain at another corner anoda is due to 4 drug. The nurse has to make use of her/his triage system to response to their need. Yet many will complain dat d nurse is hostile and partile.

4. When human are faced with stress from human stressors their mode swing and pple wont see d sweet side of dem any longer bt their hostile view.

5. Most hospitals are not equip with enof instruments and dis nurses have to improvise with d available, yet most patients will complain of ill treatment.
If resources are provided 4 work and human power is not overuse. U will see d 1daful side of nurses.
Nurses are great listners

People...

This is all the answers you need.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by moshoodn(m): 10:07pm On Feb 28, 2015
skillzbae:
If she is dumb enuf to insult pple whose money r used to pay her salary, den she deserved it. U r entitled to ur opinon, dts ur biz.. Even after dat, d girl ws stil rude to a man who removed his belt nd almost flogd her.

Never slap anyone. There's no moral justification for that.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by moshoodn(m): 10:09pm On Feb 28, 2015
eyinjuege:

Emmm, sorry but most Nigerians are naturally rude, yes even the market women. A lot of clients and customers are equally as rude, and impatient. Everyone is just aggressive angry angry.

Well spoken.

Can I buy u a drink?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by koyyess: 10:12pm On Feb 28, 2015
skillzbae:
Because there's a female involved abi? Tell me, if it was actually a male doctor that spoke rudely to you or a huge nurse, would you have given him/her a dirty slap. What's even appalling is that you felt justified seeing a man removing his belt with the intention of flogging her. You even went to discuss it with your husband with your shoulders that high. Tomorrow, when your husband loses his cool and slaps you, you'll come on NL and kick against every form of violence on women. Nothing justifies physical violence. I hope you understand?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by peemyke(f): 10:23pm On Feb 28, 2015
D worst is dt...d cn gossip

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by egopersonified(f): 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2015
Abeg make I hear word. Are doctors also not stressed up, why are people not complaining about them? Nurses are rude, period. There is no justification you can give for this, even if the patient knowingly strangles himself against the nurse's orders. I personally concluded that they are just jealous of doctors because they feel they do more work but not compensated like the doctors, so they take it out on the patient. If the work too hard, why you no resign? #myopinion

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by lanxebony(m): 10:33pm On Feb 28, 2015
egopersonified:
Abeg make I hear word. Are doctors also not stressed up, why are people not complaining about them? Nurses are rude, period. There is no justification you can give for this, even if the patient knowingly strangles himself against the nurse's orders. I personally concluded that they are just jealous of doctors because they feel they do more work but not compensated like the doctors, so they take it out on the patient. If the work too hard, why you no resign? #myopinion
Do u knw dat doctors are even more rude dan nurses especially female doctors, u dnt get to knw bcoz dey participate less in patients' care
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by chukwusi(m): 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2015
skillzbae:
Very true, dou most of the rude ones are auxilary nurses, i ws jux discusing the matter wit hubby ystade, i ws in d clinic on wednesday nd a tiny silly girl ws talking to pple anyhw both old nd young, wen it got to my turn nd she was rude to me, i gave her a dirty slap, all others composed themselves immediately. I wonder y pple who are supposed to b caring wil b so rude, in a private hospital for dat matter.

clap for yourself idiot... let's wait and see. the profession is growing and evolving in no time working conditions will be cool and nurses will get the respect they deserve
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Vision4God: 11:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
Some of Dem use dat as der defense mechanism or will say "Pride"
Met 1 hu was actin like a chief nurse, oda patients were begging her for favor not until anoda nurse & doc showed up & were sending her on errand. She's to b picking patient's file from 1 section 2 anoda.
Too pompous

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Spray(m): 11:05pm On Feb 28, 2015
DankemzI:
The day a nurse insulted my mum I nearly ran mad my own mum? she didn't know I was parking properly, she thought she came alone. She was laid off!
we share same experience, my mum was ill, we drove to one public hospital, there was no enough drug, so the nurse refer us to one costmetic in twn, so that we get those drugs, while my mum insisted of joting those drugs down, the foolish old cago nurse nw said my mum cant comprehend that her brain is shaft, mehn,, even computer dey tire 2 kip much tinz self let alone human, naso i hit my hand 4 that nurse table dem born u well? Say she no no say dis woman wia she dey harras lyk dis na my mumcy? Everybdy begin d beg even patient wia dem operate new stil dey d beg me, just cari my precious mama go anoda hosp.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 28, 2015
EroticAngelina:
so very true! not all of them though. most of them have no manners, and are very rude and inpatient. when I was little, my mum would take me there to take injections, the nurse(Mrs Nike) would always shout at me and threaten me with a cane if I don't shut up angry

I think its in their nature or they get frustrated... especially the pregnant ones.

But why are you afraid of needles in the 1st place¿
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Guruboi(m): 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
Tallesty1:
Dunno for them oo, especially those old and ugly ones wey government no fit sack again.
Hahahhahhhah! You are damn funny.. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by selfmade001(f): 11:23pm On Feb 28, 2015
Most of dose pple dat portray demselves as nurses on African Magic know nothing about d profession. And nurses u will mostly encounter are auxilliary nurses who lacks nursing ethics . So kindly pls do not generalise.Nigeria is a developing country nd by d tym dey rily get to dat developed state it will affect every area even d health sector,by dat tym auxilliary nurses will b totally flushed out of d system.Professional/licensed/Registered Nurses are not stupid,they are great pple.
Lagusta:
Some nurses are not just rude, they can also be downright stupid!!!!

And they believe they know all, whereas they know nothing!!!!

The only nurses I love and respect are trauma nurses, labour ward nurses and the anaesthetic nurses.....

All others just do nothing but gossip, watch African magic, yab patients, grow fat with big butts, and develop cerebral atrophy later in life....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by InvertedHammer: 11:24pm On Feb 28, 2015
/
If they are being owed salaries in arrears and the work place is not very accommodating, the victim of their frustration will be
patients.

Perhaps that's what is happening in the industry.

\

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Guruboi(m): 11:25pm On Feb 28, 2015
Is not their fault ooo. Na drugs dey cause am.. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by Lagusta(m): 11:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
selfmade001:
Most of dose pple dat portray demselves as nurses on African Magic know nothing about d profession. And nurses u will mostly encounter are auxilliary nurses who lacks nursing ethics . So kindly pls do not generalise.Nigeria is a developing country nd by d tym dey rily get to dat developed state it will affect every area even d health sector,by dat tym auxilliary nurses will b totally flushed out of d system.Professional/licensed/Registered Nurses are not stupid,they are great pple.

And I am a doctor working in a teaching hospital....

And there are NO auxiliary nurses in the government cadre....

And I did not generalize.....

And you didn't read my post well

And I want you to read it and understand it....

And you can quote me again
Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by MarieSucre(f): 11:53pm On Feb 28, 2015
elobyobi:

victim here. Market women 'some' are pretty rude to the point of snatching their goods from your grasp followed by obscenities of all 'dispensations' if that bargain does not go well. Tellers can be rude too. A doctor once yelled at m mother to stop squirming and moaning while he was trying to re-insert a needle into her already bloodied arm. They come in all professions.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ibknaanii(m): 12:22am On Mar 01, 2015
Few things that could have caused it:
1. Poor Upbringing
2. Individual Personality
3. Poor Payment or Irregularity of Salary e.g. Some states health workers haven't receive both Jan and Feb salary and u want them to work effectively
4. Impostors e.g. Quack Nurses
5. Due to the sensitivity of there work e.g. A small mistake can lead to irreversible loss of life, so sometyms they need full concentration and some patient can't but demand attention
6. Lack of recognition e.g. During the past Ebola case like 2nurses loss dir life to it but were they ever mentioned after the case nope, it was all thanks to a doctor that died
7. Limited man power e.g. The standard is a nurse to 4 patients but in nigeria a nurse will handle more than 30patients, who so ever have been to Sacred Heart Hospital Abk b4 will not dispute this fact.
8. Poor working environment and facilities. Almost all Government hospital still parade outdated equipment and dt is Y a nurse leaving nigeria to work in european countries will have to do atleast 6month adaptation course. Etc.

Mind u nt that I support that bad attitude because Clients are always right and without them medical practitioners are useless.
A time is coming when every patient will know there right and apply it effectively, then most Nurses will pay for there unruly behaviors. Till then enjoy the abuse. Hahahahaha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Nurses Always Rude And Mean? by ibknaanii(m): 12:24am On Mar 01, 2015
Few things that could have caused it:
1. Poor Upbringing
2. Individual Personality
3. Poor Payment or Irregularity of Salary e.g. Some states haven't receive both Jan and Feb salary and u want them to work effectively
4. Impostors e.g. Quack Nurses
5. Due to the sensitivity of there work e.g. A small mistake can lead to irreversible loss of life, so sometyms they need full concentration and some patient can't but demand attention
6. Lack of recognition e.g. During the past Ebola case like 2nurses loss dir life to it but were they ever mentioned after the case nope, it was all thanks to a doctor that died
7. Limited man power e.g. The standard is a nurse to 4 patients but in nigeria a nurse will handle more than 30patients, who so ever have been to Sacred Heart Hospital Abk b4 will not dispute this fact.
8. Poor working environment and facilities. Almost all Government hospital still parade outdated equipment and dt is Y a nurse leaving nigeria to work in european countries will have to do atleast 6month adaptation course. Etc.

Mind u nt that I support that bad attitude because Clients are always right and without them medical practitioners are useless.
A time is coming when every patient will know there right and apply it effectively, then most Nurses will pay for there unruly behaviors. Till then enjoy the abuse. Hahahahaha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Women Who Sleep More Also Have More Sex, A New Study Finds / Outrage As Frontline Health Staff Sent On Duty Without PPE / Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.