Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,919 members, 7,952,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:20 PM

Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here (34872 Views)

Nigerian Girl Born With Blue Eyes In Delta Experiences Stigmatization (Photos) / Let's See How Old You Are: Can You Remember This chewing gum? / Ladies Do You Remember This Doll? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by BarakOkenny(m): 10:55pm On Feb 28, 2015
This gadget is older than Nairaland, itself grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Emmyk(m): 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2015
I remember rocking Awilo - Macosa on it in 2000. grin cheesy
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by ceaser: 11:01pm On Feb 28, 2015
ophilly:
Can someone tell me the brand name?

Sunca. There was another you're with different shadow and configuration which was less popular called Carnival. It's is ugly heh, it has no aesthetics, so people don't own it much. But for the Sunca brand, it was da bomb!

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by chyket(m): 11:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
I bought it and sent to my mum in the village and i remember she wrote me a letter because Gsm has not come into existence then ie year 2000.In the letter she told me about several things happenning in the family etc but she specically told me that she wrote the letter around 2am and that it was made possible by this type of lamp that i bought for her and it really gladdened my heart. because its normally a very happy experience to realise that your gift has made so much difference in someone's life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by ximarro(m): 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2015
imsuboi:
grin
y u thief am la?
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by horeejah(f): 12:03am On Mar 01, 2015
Well well

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by chival(f): 12:40am On Mar 01, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Yes....works for two hours on a good day.

And one had to buy batteries for the thing tire!

But...on the plus side....listening to VOA Music mix on AM radio.....yeah...good times.

NEPA bring back our light!

Buy batteries? The thing was rechargeable. I rocked the first one in the picture well well, then I later got a metallic binatone one that was the cynosure of all eyes. Kai! School days. This has sent me spiralling down memory lane.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by rad8(m): 2:19am On Mar 01, 2015
Last last.. I don dey old ooo ..I bin so use that lamp
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Humblebloke(m): 7:22am On Mar 01, 2015
I was a bit young then....

My Pale dey take am hear *Koko inu iwe iroyin* dat tym
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Nobody: 8:23am On Mar 01, 2015
space booked, im coming back
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 01, 2015
This stuff will invite all the insects to you at night when you are in class. Pisses me off back then.

I stopped taking it to class and whenever there was no power supply in Uniport,

I would just read in my corner with this piece of wonderful engineering. smiley

Also, we used the flashlight to bother each other from one hostel block to another.

Some even came with annoying alarms like Police Sirens.

Good old times.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Kirinwa: 9:23am On Mar 01, 2015
I can remember using it to play 2face and styl plus collections in my university days.

It served me well.
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by scobaba: 9:31am On Mar 01, 2015
Used it in 2005, I wonder how it just left the market.

Wetin students come take dey read for nyt now for school
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Arrester171(m): 9:36am On Mar 01, 2015
my family had two mehn it's was NEPA younger broda

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by 4oyrsExperience(m): 9:37am On Mar 01, 2015
ichidodo:
Yeah....Enuff evils was done with that gadget in attendance back in the scrummy grounds of FGC Odogbolu...f**king hell…mine got stolen..

Meeeehn! Guy u gat it... FGC odogbolu was d home of dis tin... So sad biodun ojuri (niger house) seized my 1st

What set?

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by kinibd(m): 10:03am On Mar 01, 2015
ichidodo:
Yeah....Enuff evils was done with that gadget in attendance back in the scrummy grounds of FGC Odogbolu...f**king hell…mine got stolen..

FGC odogbolu, thats where i also came across this, binatone was d ish then

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by Boblanre: 1:59pm On Mar 01, 2015
Mayflower SSH...we used them so well then...listening to radio & playing music...and over night 'jacking' (gboru) grin

Then, at a time, the hostel authority thought they were a source of distraction, hence, started confiscating them.

The only ones that were spared were the types with just light & no other functionality.

Has anyone ever mistakenly pushed the wrong switch, setting off the siren at midnight before? grin
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by fuckerholic(m): 7:26pm On Mar 01, 2015
Blame all on powerless power holding company

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by ukemeramat(m): 10:47am On Mar 02, 2015
the strongest solar component that has ever graced Nigerian market... now china has made everything so bad
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by neduedu(m): 12:19pm On Apr 26, 2017
I remember this one very well. back then my Anty dey use d take play paty obasi music

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by ceaser: 4:18am On May 29, 2017
ukemeramat:
the strongest solar component that has ever graced Nigerian market... now china has made everything so bad

Ish! Hello, Sunca was made in China, some other brands in Taiwan. And yes, it had to leave the market at the time it did because of innovation. Newer power solutions that use less energy (less battery) like LEDs started to gain traction. It was only normal and expected that plasma and fluorescent tube lights will get restricted to only industrial use. Not to talk of the non-recyclable issues and that problem with infusing mercury into the soil and other life forms from fluorescent tubes in dumps
Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by J0hnTrevolt(m): 4:53am On May 29, 2017
Damn! grin
I still have mine n I had to go test it b/c of this post. The radio n cassette still plays only if u plug it in a socket(I guess the battery is dead or something) the two flourescent light
lights are dead and I discovered I still had a cassette inside the radio(unleash the dragon by sisqo)
I miss the Good old naija cry

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here by egopersonified(f): 8:02am On May 29, 2017
My cousin draw a picture of this rechargeable and wrote 'old school's gen' and pasted it in our room, because every evening my dad brings it out from his room and uses it alone, leaving everyone else in darkness instead of buying fuel for the generator.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Side Chick Vs Second Wife, Which Hurts Women More? / Yoruba Couple & 4 Sons Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary In Matching Outfits / My Husband Said He Will Raise My Kids To Challenge Me And Be Rude To Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.