Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore (9659 Views)

Saraki Bribed Facebook - Omoyele Sowore / Keyamo Replies Ben Murray-Bruce: We Cant Forget PDP 16 Year Misrule In 5 Months / Omoyele Sowore,The Founder Of Sahara Reporters(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by idiopathic: 9:21pm On Jan 11, 2009
Festus Keyamo is behaving like a typical Nigerian politician/thief. Rather than address the issues presented by Sowore, he is more interested in blackmail and casting aspersions, the same tactics Ibori's and Alams regularly employ.

What has Sowore's medical records got to do with the monumental corruption destroying Nigeria? He is trying to discredit Sowore by painting him as an agent of Ribadu rather than investigate the very serious allegations in front of him.
Keyamo is trying to make this about Ribadu, but, it isn't. He went on to list those Ribadu failed to prosecute, but, what has Waziri, AGF and Keyamo done about these individuals? Let us all remember that Ribadu was shoved aside over a year ago.

Those asking for the year Sowore graduated or his conduct while a student are unbelievable naive. This guy has been a pain in the ass,  of corrupt government office holders. He has contributed more in bringing to attention the misdeeds in our country than most newspapers in Nigeria. We all know the print press has been hijacked by the corrupt Oligarch's in a bid to control the flow of information and public opinion.

Have you wondered why Dr Reuben Abati rather than addressing the serious allegations levelled against him, is busy writing about yahoo boys internet scam. Which is more damaging to his integrity?
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by chidichris(m): 10:30pm On Jan 11, 2009
> > "IT WOULD BE SAD IF YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE EFCC
> > BECOMES AN EXCUSE TO SHIRK YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A
> > SELF-AVOWED PUBLIC CONSCIENCE AND COMMENTATOR ON MATTER OF
> > CORRUPTION, ABUSE OF OFFICE AND HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS"
Lucabrasi,
am sorry if i sounded impolite. the tone of every letter dictects the tone of the reply. if you take ur time to read through that post again, u will see that Keyamo and sowore know each other and keyamo was smart to tell nigerians who sowore is. that brief introduction helped me who was hearing that name for the first time to fix him.
sowore is like andy uba the former personal assistant to obj who was picked from the usa and all of a sudden became a force. so when people talk from their base, we can be sure of seeing them in the next administration.
keyamo on the other hand did well in explaining his position on every issue mentioned by sowore but if u are not clear with anyone, do inform me so that i can reffer u to the page. it is obvious keyamo as a nigeria has his stance on ribadu for his reasons some of which he highlighted in his reply.

In chidicris' world those are issues

Sowore's medical record, that is what Festus Keyamo will rather talk about

Chidicris has a reputation of not sticking to the topic, its no suprise why he thinks Keyamo is raising issue by talking about 20year old trivialities in response to his anti-corruption stance in the last 12months.

Keyamo should kindly tell us about the success of Farida's EFCC in which he is a paid employee
@mikeansy,
i am not surprise because even in class rooms, the lesson thought in the class is the same with those that come first and the ones that come last in the class.

the success of farida was mentioned by keyamo and if u go through my posts in the past u will equally those achievements as they include the arrest of some of the so called untouchanbles like bode george, borrishade, femi kayode as well as the declaration of el rufai wanted. these were all made in aso rock criminals.
if you read the reply of keyamo, he said he is working for efcc free of charge so u can quote him any day. he even mentioned a lawyer who said he was working free of charge during ibadu and was later paid 6 million by ribadu.
the main purpose of such forum is to be informed. you lack information so u have nothing to offer here. read through lucabrais post and my response to him and what he wrote back. that is the power of information. the guy is informed and has something to pass on but it is unfortunate that u have refused to learn.

the only way to get people over to urside is by dropping points otherwise insulting ppl gets u no where rather that will go a long way to expose ur ignorance.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 11, 2009
arrest = success

How many have been charged to court? how many have been convicted? How many have given up a judicious amount from their proceeds of corruption?

If u knew how ignorant you are you wont call someone else ignorant
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by idiopathic: 11:10pm On Jan 11, 2009
Chidichris,
I know we all love Nigeria but probably view the fight against corrption through different lens. Farida Waziri may have arrested a few individuals, but how has she may prosecuted? Do you think arresting people and releasing them after a few days is in any way serving as a deterrent to other potential thieves? Ribadu may have been selective, but he was able to instill the fear of stealing in our politicians.

You may dislike Ribadu, but we would not be on this forum if he has not built EFCC into the institution it is today. Don't forget, there are other institutions who also have a responsibilty of fighting corruption (ICPC, Police etc). No one talks about them and infact, they have paled to insignificance and EFCC under Waziri is toeing that line.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by bronxdog: 11:13pm On Jan 11, 2009
Papabrowne - B.O.S.S AND ELEVEN

Sowore will ever pray for him to tie the threads of my shoes first before giving all you moda foking goats any chance of doing so - Sahara Reports? What the hell is Sahara Report? I havent even read it for one day - it is all junk, falsehood and thrash.

B.OS.S.

I live in the UK- London, so, what the hell do you want to tell me about the diaspora?

You all must go wipe your smelly butt holes with sand paper and pass it to Sowore to publish online.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by asha80(m): 11:17pm On Jan 11, 2009
@bronx dog

You have issues
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by PapaBrowne(m): 11:22pm On Jan 11, 2009
asha 80:

@bronx dog

You have issues

Real issues!
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by BOSS7: 11:24pm On Jan 11, 2009
bronx_dog:

Sowore will ever pray for him to tie the threads of my shoes first before giving all you moda foking goats any chance of doing so - Sahara Reports? What the hell is Sahara Report? I havent even read it for one day - it is all junk, falsehood and thrash.

B.OS.S.

I live in the UK- London, so, what the hell do you want to tell me about the diaspora?

You all must go wipe your smelly butt holes with sand paper and pass it to Sowore to publish online.

I know you live in the UK and in fact you've been for the past 6years so keep on at it dumb-ass.

By the way, better to keep your dirty mouth shut if you have nothing to say than uttering the gibberish about gay-ass curses. We're tired of it and before anyone says anything, you start causing them. You must have been raped in jail because that's all you talk about. Gay shit and all that. You definitely need a reality check and more so, you need to grow up. I doubt you have any credibility hence getting fresh at people on the internet in order to cool off.

Ignorant dumb-ass with access to the internet, what a waste of life.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by texazzpete(m): 8:50am On Jan 12, 2009
This is getting really funny

First off, Sowore started the absurdity by making the letter available to the public, and insinuating that Keyamo's credibility is in doubt since he's being paid by the EFCC.

Now here's the question i want answered

If you're a prominent anti-corruption lawyer/activist and you want to use your full expertise obtained in the legal practice to fight corruption, how do you do it? As a private lawyer you have little or no access to evidence or incrinminating documents to pursue your case. You are extremely limited in the caliber of people you can dock for corruption.
As a high-profile lawyer attached to a Government anti-corruption agency, you have access to case files, evidence and EFCC agents to make arrests and seize evidence. So what is the best place for a lawyer committed to the fight against corruption if not the EFCC?
And if you're attached to the EFCC, why not be paid?

All you people abusing Keyamo have conveniently forgotten how he has been confronting the National Assembly over the N2.3 billion scam over the purchase of vehicles. Which public official in Nigeria has done more to fight corruption in the past 5 months?! Were you not aware when he received death threats even in the House of Reps?

Someone insinuated he had been bought over with money. He replied giving detailed information on how he has worked for FREE on many occassions yet people are saying he's 'blowing his own trumpet'.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by eleven(m): 10:16am On Jan 12, 2009
bronx_dog:

B.OS.S.

@ Papa Browne/ asha 80/ B.O.S.S and All

Please I think the guy is an attention seeking idiot! he is not worth the number of characters we have type for him so far. So please lets concentrate on the real issue and ignore his distractions. He is obviously not adding value to himself and this thread.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by JustGood(m): 1:45pm On Jan 12, 2009
Sowore started this mess when he made his initial letter public. I would have reacted the same way if I was in keyamo's shoes.
Sowore was known as an exuberrant boy when he was in Unilag, although I graduated before he got there. I admire his courage in standing for something and not being another run-of-the-mill Nigerian who is willing to sell his soul for filthy lucre. Sowore will earn my greatest respect if he can apologise for making the letter public and then having a more mature dialogue with Keyamo in respect of the issues raised by both of them.

Keyamo's response is actually much more mature than Keyamo's frontal attack. Why should a lawyer be running around chasing people with no evidence?

Unfortunately, I have to take the same stand as
texazz 'the insuter' pete
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 12, 2009
What is wrong in making a public letter public?

You people are too funny

A man who calls himself a public commentator goes mute on an issue he would have naturally commented on except for the fact that he was complicit on this occassion. And people are suggesting that in other to call him out on that you should have written a private letter.

If Festus Keyamo does not want to recieve any further public letters and respond appropriately like a responsible public commentator does then he should remain silent for good.

Well I have never taken Festus Keyamo seriously anyway.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by debosky(m): 4:06pm On Jan 12, 2009
What stoic silence is Sowore talking about? Are the PEF and House of Reps Cars issues old issues? Didn't Keyamo speak up regarding those issues recently?

Keyamo has every right to go on about his 'achievements' - they are central to dispelling the notion that he is seeking after government patronage to feather his nest. By proving he is more than self sufficient WITHOUT government patronage, he blows that initial argument out of the water.

Sowore's credibility matters as well - would you be comfortable sitting in court under a corrupt judge? He must be seen to be above board before throwing baseless accusations.

There are two clinchers in Keyamo's response - a factual response to each allegation, and a word of caution to Sowore who claims to have 'investigated' (from the US oh  grin) all the allegations against ribadu and found them untrue! Who endowed Sowore with the ability to do this from yonder oversea? cheesy

@ PapaBrowne
What 'credibility' does Sowore have? Someone who left Nigeria on the pretext of 'treatment' and hasn't returned? Someone whose Sahara Reporters claimed to have an exclusive that 'Yaradua is dead'?  shocked grin

Dude if that is credibility, then I'm very concerned about your notions of corruption.

The only fear politicians would have of Sahara Reporters is that they don't declare their untimely death, leading some Sowore fanatic to kill them in order to prove the story true. grin grin

A 'public commentator' who happens to be a lawyer needs to be prudent in his 'comments' - he has listed cases he has commented on, based on facts available to him. He reserves the right no withold comments till he is satisfied he can make factual statements.

Sadly this 'motorpark reasoning' employed by many Nigerians seems to be dominating - the person who shouts loudest or makes the larger number of threats is right.

Based on his response, Keyamo has shown himself to be a logical and very astute lawyer - nothing destroys credibility quicker than making baseless claims. Ever since that Yaradua mess, I cannot take Sowore seriously. He is not credible - people can say his background is irrelevant, but if you're an apple tree you can't produce oranges even if your apples look round!
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2009
if this is the case no one is credible in nigeria

how many of us have falsified our date of birth

how many of us joined primary school at age 5 instead of the legal age age 6

how many of us copied to pass jamb

how many of us copied to pass waec

how many of us sorted our lecturers in school

and etc and etc

Does it matter to anyone that the probable reason Omoyele does what he does today is so that the next generation of Nigerians do no become so desperate as to falsify their medical records just to run away from Nigeria?

Does Festus Keyamo honestly want to challenge the rest of the country to dig dip into his life and see if there has been no blemishes?

It is shameful that Festus Keyamo who will call himself a student of Gani, does not recognise justice when he see one.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by chidichris(m): 4:39pm On Jan 12, 2009
Chidichris,
I know we all love Nigeria but probably view the fight against corrption through different lens. Farida Waziri may have arrested a few individuals, but how has she may prosecuted? Do you think arresting people and releasing them after a few days is in any way serving as a deterrent to other potential thieves? Ribadu may have been selective, but he was able to instill the fear of stealing in our politicians.

You may dislike Ribadu, but we would not be on this forum if he has not built EFCC into the institution it is today. Don't forget, there are other institutions who also have a responsibilty of fighting corruption (ICPC, Police etc).  No one talks about them and infact, they have paled to insignificance and EFCC under Waziri is toeing that line.

Idiopathic,
the war on corruption had been in nigeria since inception. we v had people like bamiyi, tunde idiagbon. we v had war against indicipline so war against corruption has been in nigeria but the question is how far has any of these wars gone in reality? you said ribadu instilled fear in our politicians and i said no. who among our politicians is or was afraid to steal?  Odili, tinubu and whosoever was the kano state gov were better thieves than orji uzo kalu, tony annenih and andy uba did well for themselves than alams. tell me what punishment was enough for tafa balogun who was the inspector general three months imprisonment and is he poor till date or will such punishment make u to be afraid to dupe nigeria tomorrow?
the simpliest question i will like an answer is; was corruption high during the eight years of obj or low? please answer with refferences.
ribadu had more than enough powers and was working on personal constitutions/directives of obj and you cannot compare him with anyother person, persons or organization in nigeria. nigeria constitution which nigerian police work with says an accused is innocent until he is proved guilty but do u know ribadu worked with a constitution that made alams, ibori, kalu an atiku guilty before the forewalls of a court. initially, we were celebrating him because we were aware that no politician was going to be free from the danger but our disappointment came when it all ended with just four governor. when non of the ministers was found guilty. when andy uba was foundy guilty of using the presidential jet to carry dollars to the usa and ribadu told us that was a civil case.
i am one of the suffering nigerians who would kill if it will make nigeria good but ribadu and obj were deciets.
i will be happy if you can explain to me the possibility of an administration that was working with Chris Uba of Anambra state and Adedibu of Oyo state could fight corruption in nigeria.
how come ribadu did not tell nigerians who is keeping all the budgets made in the eight years of obj on roads, power supply, security etc?
we all celebrated the persecution of alams without asking how alams criminal actions directly affect nigeria. we now saw how goodluck jonathan played his role well and was made gov and later vp-we can see nollywood on that.
how come the war on corruption  did not have anything to do with federal agencies particularly INEC were corruption was the watch word?
Dear Idiopathic, i am really waiting for answers.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by chidichris(m): 5:00pm On Jan 12, 2009
can someone help me ask sowore since he is in the usa since ten years, was he aware of Andy Uba's money laundary case in the usa in which he was found guilty aand he paid fine. Our own ribadu said it was a civil case. if sowore is aware of this matter in the usa, what was his efforts in guiding ribadu to persecute Andy uba? keeping blind eyes on matters that has to do with obj's camp and ribadu turning back to tell nigerians that he is fighting corruption is nonsense.
if we all agree here that ribadu was selective in his war, i then want to tell nigerians and nairalanders that selective justice will do nigeria more harm than good like it was in the eight years of obj.
we all witnessed war against indecipline under Ideagbon and every nigerian believed it was a real that has respect for no one. if in his all his war against corruption, he was not able to persecute any minister or federal govt appointed office holder, then we must be asking who gave all the illegal contracts that gulped billions of dollars without doing any single job on the contracts. we have roads that were in the worst condition the history of nigeria. a security system that did not protect the artoney general of the federation, an electricity supply system which makes generator a must to every household - only possible in nigeria. a political system which encouraged criminals and mediocares(borishade) while expertriates like Okonjo Iweala had no place in the system.
to all ribadu supporters, please tell me IN WHICH ASPECT OF OUR COUNTRY(NIGERIA) WAS THIS WAR ON CORRUPTION FOUGHT?
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by texazzpete(m): 5:12pm On Jan 12, 2009
mikeansy:

What is wrong in making a public letter public?

You people are too funny

A man who calls himself a public commentator goes mute on an issue he would have naturally commented on except for the fact that he was complicit on this occassion. And people are suggesting that in other to call him out on that you should have written a private letter.

If Festus Keyamo does not want to recieve any further public letters and respond appropriately like a responsible public commentator does then he should remain silent for good.

Well I have never taken Festus Keyamo seriously anyway.

You are the funny one here.
A letter addressed to someone is presumed private by the recipient. Why would Keyamo be amused when the letter is a thinly veiled insinuation that Keyamo's conscience had been bought over by money?

If you had been in Keyamo's shoes and you had just been through a hectic and harrowing couple of months where you were hounded, abused and even threatened with death in the chambers of the national assembly all because of your determination to report a scam, would you feel pleased at that kind of letter?

Apparently you expect a lawyer of all people to go around calling people names in the papers without proof, eh? He's thrown down the gauntlet to Sowore; provide proof and i will act.
If you were really sincere in your hatred against corruption, you'd be egging Sowore on to provide proof. Instead you're here talking about if Keyamo is prominent enough to be listened to.

This is a discouraging insight into your IQ levels.

Keyamo does not care if you take him seriously. I know what he has done in the past couple of months. and that speaks for itself.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 12, 2009
I will assume you never heard the word 'open letter'
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by texazzpete(m): 5:54pm On Jan 12, 2009
mikeansy:

I will assume you never heard the word 'open letter'

You do not send a somewhat accusatory email to an erstwhile friend, and then make public the letter on the internet even before he has a chance to reply.

it is clear that some people are hell bent on setting up RIbadu as a tin god unto themselves, and they will try to pull down anyone that gets in their way.

but you have a worrying habit of dodging salient, important issues.

Without the power of an executive President at his back (unlike Ribadu), Keyamo has been central to raising awareness and pushing for the trial and prosecution of key players in both the PEF fraud and the on-going probe into the National Assembly's car purchase fraud. Yet you still belittle the man.

Is no one apart from Ribadu allowed to fight corruption?

I have challenged you to take apart Keyamo's response point by point, try and find gaps in his logic. You have since failed to rise to the occasion, resorting instead to using what debosky called 'motorpark reasoning'.

I see now that all you and your allies are doing is stalling for time until Sowore replies and provides you with more information.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by debosky(m): 6:38pm On Jan 12, 2009
I have no issues with Sowore making the letter public - by doing so, he gives Keyamo the opportunity to bring their relationship to light and present both their track records.

Essentially, Keyamo delivers an argument that he is clean, but creates doubts about Sowore's credibility.

I do not agree that 'everyone is dirty' in Nigeria - getting into school one year early is hardly the same as travelling abroad under false pretexts (and possibly obtaining funds from people to support the trip clear case of 419).

If Sowore wants to call Keyamo a compromised erstwhile 'public commentator' then he (and his supporters) should be ready to stomach a searchlight on Sowore's character.

If as mikeansy asserts, Sowore is doing this to 'prevent' other youths from having to do the same, he should have the courage to admit it. After all former convicts turned Pastors have the guts to declare their criminal past.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 12, 2009
I dont know about their relationship and whether they are erstwhile friends

If this is the case then its good news to me, as Sowore will know more about Keyamo than I can imagine

get ready for the news of Keyamo's past too, I believe an opportunist as Keyamo will have a lot to hide.

Lets see who blinks first.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by chidichris(m): 6:53pm On Jan 12, 2009
sowore from all indications is one of the million nigerians who wangled their ways outside nigeria but still believe they can make it in nigeria. he is only seeking notice for future appointments.
if sowore is what he is claiming, how come he has not been able to open one of the secrets among all the secret deals by our rulers who have been investing our funds illegaly in the usa.
he was in the usa when andy uba was caught red handed with a lot of dollars in the presidential jet. uba was later taken to court where he was found guilty but ribadu said it is a civil case.what is civil in money laundary and what is the dfferene between any uba's case and that of alams?
sowore, pls come back if the chemical is finished in ur body and we need to know how u have been meeting up with the financial requirements of your health.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by PROJECT: 7:05pm On Jan 12, 2009
i dont know why u guys are killing urselves over this two people, i have known sowore,even in the days of abacha when sowore,ponmile,yemisi omotosho and others were arrested, i was also leading a group then during the days on the joint action committee of nigeria.jacon and i dont want to talk about a lot of things that went on but i must say we should look at what keyamo has written and look at how this two forces can reconcile, am not in the country now but i will like to see the sowores,ponmiles,yemisi omotoshos and even myself go back to the streets and mobilise nigerians as we did in the days of abacha.the mistake we made was that after abacha died we thought it was over and now we have seen that abacha was not the force but greater men where back stage.we shaould start uniting forces and not hit eachother on sites like this cos we all bear the pain, i love keyamo i love sowore and every one that has done something one way or the other,i will definetly write the lawyer and see how i can get in tourch with sowore, we have to rise again by all means necessary, God bless Nigeria, amen
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by proo212(m): 8:45pm On Jan 12, 2009
Well, Sowore has replied. Over to you guys, disect and analyse,  cheesy
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by noetic(m): 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2009

Dear Mr. Keyamo,

Thank you for your response to me, which you have also made public. I’m sure you are aware that we have published it on SaharaReporters as well, even though you didn’t send it directly to me. I do understand your dismay at the fact that I published this publicly; but, just as you stated in the same vein, it is necessary “for people like you and I who insist on transparency in public life” not to act as though we have things to hide. It was posted as a matter of public information. At that point, it was only a request that you make your position publicly known on the issues. Now that you have responded, people can make their comments or make up their own minds about the matters I raised. For now, let me comment on your response in the same open manner we’ve been dealing.

(1) Your account of our personal relationship is replete with a lot of misinformation, which goes to show that we really don’t have the kind of personal relationship you’re claiming. I had not met you at the time of the formation of the National Conscience Party (NCP) on October 1, 1994 by which time I had actually graduated from the University of Lagos where I was a Students Union president and had been in national political activism for sometime. True, I was attacked by student cultists in March 1994, but I went for my National Youth Service between 1995 and 1996 and though I can’t readily recall now what exact date or time I met you for the first time, I do know that it was when I answered the invitation of Chief Gani Fawehinmi to his chambers at about this time. Chief Fawehinmi had invited me to inquire about my health and other things. After my meeting with him, he introduced me to the lawyers in his chambers. You were a junior lawyer there at the time and it was in that capacity you were introduced to me along with others who were there on the day. The person amongst you I knew well before then was Ebunola Adegboruwa (Big Sam). I did not get into any kind of discussion with you about my health or my plans to travel or anything of the sort. If I met you again, it must have been during his birthday party around the same period at his home. So, all this story of knowing you or being your friend for the past fifteen years is news to me. Yes, I can remember sending you emails and having telephone conversations with you a few times in the last few years to commend you for your activism, but that is only an acknowledgment of the good work I thought you were doing to hold our leaders accountable. Indeed, it is on the strength of the regard I have for you as an uncompromised activist (who in email exchanges and phone conversations had indicated keen interested in using the reports of SaharaReporters to pursue legal actions against people who ruin our nation) that I wrote you the letter that is now the subject of our present exchange. It was simply asking you to stay the course. Anyone can see that it was not an accusation of impropriety on your part.

(2) From my account above, you can understand when I say I’m baffled by your claim that I visited your office in Maryland “a number of times” to intimate you about my intentions to travel abroad to treat myself. You know this is a terrible lie, the purpose of which I cannot definitely determine - except to conjecture that you are saying this to keep up the appearance of our supposed closeness. I don’t know your office or your home or your social watering holes because I simply do not know you on those levels. You again claim I visited you when I was in Nigeria “a few years ago” (you didn’t state where), but again, how can this be true when it never happened? If indeed, you are my friend the way you are making out and if indeed I visited you after such a long time of going for this supposed medical treatment, why did you not ask me then about my health or the medical treatment? What could we possibly have discussed on the day that was more important than my health or travel? Why make apologies about that now in your response? Of course, you didn’t ask me because it never happened. I have no problem describing you as a friend, but you don’t have to concoct lies to show the extent of it.

(3) Contrary to your insinuations that my life revolved around my medical problems or the cult attack, I did not leave Nigeria until the military had departed from power. My life at the time was dedicated to the pro-democracy struggle. Our colleagues, common acquaintances and activists in the pro-democracy movement would attest to the fact that I was very active especially in the United Action for Democracy (UAD) and also as one of the brains behind several civil society flagship actions against military rule, including the famous "Five Million Man March Against Abacha". I also led the activists that took over the burial of Chief M.K.O Abiola and on the day gave a funeral oration that was published in the TELL magazine in 1998. In my last engagement before leaving Nigeria, I led thousands of students to demonstrate against military excesses at the National University Games (NUGA) in 1998 at the University of Lagos. I was arrested and detained alongside Saint Omotaje (OAU, Ile-Ife) and Ponmile Oloyede (SUG President, UNILAG) for two weeks on the orders of Rear Admiral Mike Akhigbe. I was represented in the ensuing case by Sam Adegboruwa of Chief Gani Fawehinmi chambers and you never were part of it in anyway. My arrest and detention at the NUGA protests would mark the eighth time I had been detained and tortured by the authorities. If you knew all this, you could only have known it as any other Nigerian following national development at the time, not because I visited you or told you since we never met or talked at the time.

(4) You insinuated that I might have “falsified medical papers to travel abroad in search of a better life which is the worst form of corruption”. Okay, you are not saying so yourself, but merely advising that, “as a friend” I should send you “the duly authenticated medical records” so you know “how far the treatment has gone” to avoid “bad people” making the wrong insinuations. Well, thank you for your concern, but it would help if you cut out the veiled lies. Did I come to you for money to travel abroad for medical treatment? Why should my medical history be a great issue now simply because I wrote to you asking you to clarify your position with regard to the present corruption cases in your role “as a self-avowed public conscience and commentator on matters of corruption, abuse of office and human rights violations”?

(5) If anyone is interested in how I came to the United States, I am more than prepared to say and I would take the opportunity you have offered me here to say it. Originally, it was the Civil Liberties Organization (CLO) that arranged for me to go to the Medical Foundation in London. At the time also, another group in Switzerland offered me the same opportunity. But I didn’t take these. When I left Nigeria in February 1999, it was to the American University in Washington, DC for a conference. It was while I was there that Amy Goodman of ‘Democracy Now!’ contacted me to say that she could help me get checked at Bellevue Hospital under the New York University Torture Survival Program. I went through the program where I was treated for a year under the direction of Dr Allen Keller. I came back to Nigeria in June 2003 to be with friends and family after two years study at Columbia University in New York where I obtained a Masters degree. At the time, I appeared on a nationally televised TV show “Soni Irabor Live” where I talked extensively about my travel and medical treatment. I returned to the US and made the decision thereafter to settle in the country. The key point is that I am here legally. All I have stated here is freely available in several newspaper reports in the Nigerian and US media and is freely accessible on the internet as well.

(6) I am a little worried that you have, wittingly or unwittingly, couched our present exchange as a pro and anti-Ribadu affair. In that guise, you have taken the liberty to express your anti-Ribadu sentiments while painting me as some kind of pro-Ribadu person. The idea, of course, is to give the impression that whatever I am doing now as part of my consistent mission to hold persons in public service in our country accountable is only being done to discredit those who have replaced Ribadu or those we can now consider his enemies. Nothing can be further from the truth. In my work with SaharaReporters, I consistently opposed Mr. Nuhu Ribadu’s role as an attack dog or enabler of the Obasanjo regime; but you don’t expect me to begin to trumpet lies being told against him if I find these to be so. You obviously are miffed by the fact that SaharaReporters exposed the lies about his alleged properties in the UK and the US and on that basis you have categorized us as part of the Ribadu propaganda machine. Yet, all this was about was to hold the EFCC to a higher standard of investigation. By doing so, we were challenging the competence of an internationally acclaimed agency to carry out thorough investigations before rushing to the press. While we do not intend to replace the police or the EFCC, we are at least able to make use of tools freely available within and outside Nigeria to carry out thorough investigations and provide evidence where available to the public. If you are going to accuse Ribadu of anything, please let it be true, not embarrassing lies that could easily be exposed by the most amateur investigator who does not even need to leave his computer! These were not accusations made by any Tom, Dick and Harry; they were made formally by the organization you now represent, an organization run on public funds, an organization that owes Nigeria and Nigerians better standards than the shoddy accusations leveled against Ribadu, whatever the rightness or wrongness of his actions. As you know, SaharaReporters did not go out of its way to report on these. We merely investigated the information provided to the press and the public by your clients, the EFCC and came out with our findings. Mind you, we have repeatedly said that we cannot vouch for the truth or otherwise of the EFCC’s claim that Ribadu owns property in Dubai. This is because we do not have access to the United Arab Emirates' land registry information. However, we did reach out to the lawyers who sued Ribadu on the matter to furnish us with the details of the ownership of the Dubai property and so far, they’ve provided us with nothing. These findings are published on our website and we are aware that it is also subject of an ongoing litigation before an Abuja High Court. If today or tomorrow you find anything on Nuhu Ribadu that you think the public should know, do not hesitate to send it to us. The only thing is we will investigate and let Nigerians know our findings, because our duty is to inform the Nigerian and international public, no matter whose ox is gored, including Ribadu’s. Frankly, I would have thought that –given your avowed loyalty to the truth or to Nigeria-you would find your clients’ conduct totally unprofessional and unacceptable and tell them so, rather than turn round to accuse us of bias when the facts we presented from our investigation could not be impugned by you or your clients.

(7) Now, you did mention Ribadu’s home in Abuja, which he got through his father-in-law and on which his lawyers have made a detailed statement. While for me personally this is questionable, the fact remains that the information about that is now in the public domain and both parties are not disputing it. It’s left for Nigerians to look at the facts and judge Ribadu accordingly. But what you cannot do is compare what Ribadu has done in that transaction with what Mrs. Waziri has done with the properties she acquired since assuming office as EFCC chairperson. Mrs. Waziri has not admitted to the ownership of the properties. What the evidence available so far indicates is that she got this property on Trent River Street through the discretionary dispensation of a minister she was supposed to be investigating. The subsequent transfer of ownership of the said property to her daughter smacks of an attempt to hide true ownership. You have offered a tepid defence of her based on, I dare say a false representation of the facts. Mrs. Waziri’s daughter did not buy the property from her mum because the latter had no money to pay, neither is anything on record to indicate that her daughter’s husband paid for it. What is on record is that an EFCC operative, Mohammed Bako was used in a clearly shady manner to accomplish the transfer. The question is why? Is this a transparent transaction in your opinion? Are there no public accountability issues clearly arising from this? The fact that you as a savvy observer of public actions now accept this as above-board, going as far as to defend this in our public exchange worries me greatly.

(cool I cannot accept your excuse that you cannot speak up now against Mrs. Farida Waziri and Mr. Michael Aondoakaa because you have seen no “duly authenticated documents” about their involvement in corruption. I don’t know what you mean by “duly authenticated documents”, but investigative journalism is not dependent on official sanction of incriminating documents when the aim is to expose them. We have provided valid documents to the Nigerian public in our reports and so far, as you know, no one has accused us yet of providing forged or fake documents. Some of these documents and corrupt actions by these persons you have conveniently ignored are listed below:

(a) The secret letter from the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa sent to Mr. James Ibori's lawyers, which included outright lies about his status was provided by SaharaReporters and carried by The Punch newspapers.

(b) The letter from the Attorney General and Minister of Justice Mr. Michael Aondoakaa addressed to the French authorities to exonerate former Minister of Petroleum Resources under General Sani Abacha, Mr. Dan Etete was again provided by SaharaReporters. This letter was written after Mr. Aondoakaa received a hefty bribe and was aimed at convincing the French authorities that Etete was innocent on the Nigerian side. This letter was duly ignored by the French court that later sentenced the former minister to jail in absentia.

(c) A report detailing how the minister purchased a house -23 David Bamigboye Street, at the Apo Legislative Quarters, Abuja worth N110 million from a former member of the House of Representatives Mr. Kayode Amusan from Ogun State. Though he explained it away as belonging to his cousin, a certain Mr. Robert Orhya; yet up till now, Mr. Aondoakaa has staunchly ignored our challenge that he produces the title and documentations in the name of the said Mr. Robert Orhya or cause the latter to do same to support his claim.

(d) A memo written to the Nigerian Law Reform Commission requesting N1.1 million. This amount was requested from each department of the Ministry of Justice for a mere press conference.

(e) Information about the chassis numbers of two cars Mr. Aondoakaa received from former Abia State governor Orji Uzor Kalu as bribe.

(f) Mr. Aondoakaa’s curious stoppage of the prosecution of businessman Jimoh Ibrahim on forgery charges even where the EFCC had claimed it had a watertight case against him complete with solid evidence.

(g) The withdrawals of cash by the EFCC chairperson in the name of “Information Fund” were itemized with dates, names of officials involved and the amount of money withdrawn.

(h) On the property at 10 Porto Novo Street, Wuse II, Abuja SaharaReporters has provided the necessary information to back this up already. We presented facts about the location of the house and the existence of a N5 million Access Bank draft paid on the property.

(i) On the property at Plot 1460, 25 Trent River Street, Maitama, Abuja SaharaReporters provided overwhelming documentary evidence of Mrs. Waziri’s corrupt dealings and shenanigans with regard to true ownership of the property.

(j) On the armored Mercedes Benz GL (SUV) gift to Mrs. Waziri from Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State, we gave the chassis number as WDC 1648711A 390877 and the colour as black. Some interesting facts here are that when the Akwa Ibom State Governor denied the initial story, we followed up with revelations of the identity of the seller, Mr. Charles Ahize of Atlantic Motors who is well known to you. You told me in earlier phone conversations that Mr. Ahize had denied to you that he supplied the vehicle. Yet, up till now, Mr. Ahize has not publicly denied this and you didn’t think it wise to ask him to do so if he felt our report was untrue neither did you find it wise to encourage Mrs. Waziri to come out publicly to deny this as well. Of course, on your part, you publicly kept silent as well.

(9) The above list, as most Nigerians and well-wishers of Nigeria who’ve been following our work would attest to, is not exhaustive; but I need to just make the point that whatever is holding you back has got nothing to do with lack of evidence or information to at least put you on inquiry. For instance, I find it surprising that you are still asking for further evidence from me on the “Information Fund” business when in fact you could have simply requested the EFCC authorities to address the issues raised in the report. I expect you to also be able to ask the EFCC to furnish you and me with Nuhu Ribadu's "Information Fund" expenses, since you have access to the leadership of the organization. Throwing back the challenge to me to provide you with documents actually negates the earlier promise you made to me to investigate the matter before responding to my letter. Also, on Mrs. Waziri’s Porto Novo property, I would have thought as someone maintaining a prominent law office in Abuja you would have been able to simply check the details of this transaction with the Federal Capital Territory officials in the city, since you said you would condemn the act, if found to be true. After all, we did provide a photograph of the building in question.

(10) I note that in reference to Ribadu, you stated that you “disagree with those who now seek to build our collective struggle to enthrone a corrupt-free society around a policeman who was picked by a corrupt dictator, bent on perpetuating himself in office, to do his bidding” and that “when it came to the crunch, this same policeman refused to lift a finger, despite a mass of evidence” against certain persons you listed. The people you listed are Andy Uba, Alao-Akala, Bode George, Femi Fani-Kayode, Kenny Martins, Professor Borishade, Iyabo Obasanjo and Nasir El-Rufai. I can’t agree more. However, what I have to point out to you and Nigerians is the fact that we at SaharaReporters did as much if not more than any person, group or institution to expose these people and provide the leads that should have helped in bringing them to justice if these were properly followed. I will at this point list the individual cases and remind you, Nigerians and well wishers of Nigeria what role we played and what I think you should be doing now as follow-up to our work:

(i) Andy Uba: I was the first Nigerian to do an extensive investigative report on him, exposing his money laundering case with the FBI. This is documented by Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Uba. The question we need to ask now is why hasn’t the EFCC has still not picked up this individual. He left office nearly two years ago, May 2007 and despite his attempt to buy the governorship seat of Anambra State, the courts have put him in his place. Why hasn't the Mrs. Waziri-led EFCC arrested and prosecuted Mr. Uba? Indeed, in the days before you took up the job of representing EFCC, you told me that based on our story you had taken Andy Uba to court in a civil case. You were so impressed that you said you will be reading SaharaReporters and be taking cases and documents from there to prosecute these people. You said you would be calling me on this level, and sent me all your contact details for same.

(ii) Alao-Akala: Again, we were the first to publish that he was compulsorily retired from the Nigeria Police Force, and provided documents from his sordid past to that effect. We also published charges drawn up against him by Ibrahim Magu formerly of the EFCC over acts of corruption. Although today he’s a Governor, we still think you can improve upon our investigation to eventually bring him to justice in your present capacity and with the influence you obviously command. While I would not recommend that you use unlawful tactics to do this, I believe there is enough leeway in our anti-corruption legislations to get a clearly corrupt governor, in spite of the immunity clauses. At least, you and I know that there is judicial authority in support of investigating a sitting governor.

(iii) Bode George: We have published several reports on Bode George's activities, including tracing him around the world when he suddenly disappeared from Nigeria on a long vacation, first to his concubine's place in Maryland, US and then later to London, UK. We have also published the full content of the Investigative Panel report on Mr. George. So, expect us to pop champagne if and when his prosecution is concluded without a scandalous plea bargain, as we are wont to have now under the present EFCC dispensation. Hopefully, when the time comes, it won’t be a case of the EFCC not having witnesses to fully prosecute him.

(iv) Femi Fani Kayode: Today he’s on trial, but we were the first to do a report about money laundering issues concerning him. We reported in 2007 about an attempt by a certain Chioma Anansoh to smuggle huge amount of cash out of Nigeria through a Nigerian airport. It is welcome development that he is facing justice several months after we provided the lead.

(v) Kenny Martins (Obasanjo's –in-law): Though we haven't written much about this man, we however wrote a detailed expose about one Doris Uboh, a sister of George Uboh, Mr. Martins’ associate. Ms Uboh is now a member of the House of Representatives. In our report, we detailed how she ran way from trial in the US in a criminal case with docket number 1:92-cr-00041-GET-JRS (USA v. Uboh, et al). Doris was the 7th defendant while her brother George Uboh was the 1st defendant. It will interest you to know that George Uboh was a high-level consultant to the Police Equipment Fund (PEF). When a local newspaper culled our story, Doris Uboh sued for libel and I was informed that you are representing the paper-National Daily. You were widely quoted as saying that the case was a weak one claiming that there was not enough evidence to back up our claims on Doris Uboh's fugitive status, yet the EFCC later asserted via a press release that Doris's brother George Uboh was an ex-convict as a way of justifying the criminality of the PEF transactions. I’m not a lawyer, but perhaps if you had taken the Doris case more seriously, you would have detected earlier on that Saharareporters through its meticulous reportorial style unearthed some of the scams before anyone else.

(vi) Professor Aborisade: We did not do any detailed work on him more than what is publicly available.

(vii) Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello: We were the first to expose her corrupt activities as far back as 2006, complete with an exclusive picture of her at the Jakarta Airport as she was being welcomed by John Karamoy, former Chairman of PT Medco Energi International. We also followed up with a detailed report on the child kidnap case in the US. From what we see, the case isn’t exactly going anywhere with the EFCC. You are now in a position to do something about this and we can only wish you luck.

(viii) Nasir El-Rufai: We have done detailed reports about him as well. In collaboration with The NEWS magazine we wrote several reports on El-Rufai (including reports on his associate, Jimi Lawal), the Pentascope deal as well as an indicting interview with Gbenga Obasanjo that led to a lawsuit. El-Rufai sued Gbenga Obasanjo, The NEWS and me as well because of the Gbenga Obasanjo interview. I note that while you are keen to nail Nasir El-Rufai, you have been completely silent over the corrupt dealings of his successor, Aliyu Modibbo who was probed by the EFCC for fraud, but has so far not been arrested and prosecuted. Part of the reason is probably because he remained powerful enough to distribute government lands to key news editors and the EFCC chairperson.

(11) The purpose of putting out the information (10) above about our role in the cases you alleged were ignored by by Ribadu is to let you see that at no point did we drop the ball. We have always been consistent in what we do. Today, Mrs. Waziri and the EFCC or the government of Yar’Adua may be your clients, but we still insist on holding them to the same standards we held Obasanjo’s government and Ribadu at the EFCC. Our commitment remains to the Nigerian people and not to any person or representative of government. Of course, in listing your recent work and achievements with the EFCC, it is not lost on discerning followers of our exchange that you have listed cases that affect former President Obasanjo's family, friends and acolytes as your primary targets. While I find this commendable, I want to remind you that going after a select group of persons put you squarely in the same old boat with Ribadu whom you and the rest of us have criticized repeatedly for being selective in his prosecutions at the EFCC. You know what is at stake today in our country and we know it too. But unlike you, we don't have a huge law firm with huge staff or resources behind us. We don't work with anyone in government and we don't enjoy any protection either. Instead we get hounded by the government of the day – a government you work for in your capacity as a private prosecutor for EFCC. Just last Friday, the Yar'Adua government appointed one Paul Orhii as the Director General of NAFDAC. This is the fellow that is suing me for $25 million before a US District Court in Texas over a report I wrote on his relationship with Aondoakaa. Both of us will have our day in court, but my commitment to the mission of exposing those ruining our country continues unabated.

Mr. Keyamo, I appreciate the effort you have put in to state your own side of this issue and I particularly appreciate the fact that you did not hesitate to state how well –to-do you are professionally and materially, all being as a result of your sweat and hard work. But Nigerians have watched you grow professionally and also as a national conscience through the work you’ve been doing. In the end, the issue boils down to this: Is your work now as a private prosecutor for EFCC compromising your role as an anti-corruption activist, social commentator and defender of public good? If it is not, keep up the good work of exposing those ruining our country by speaking out against them (whether they are in the EFCC or anywhere within government and whether or not SaharaReporters or Omoyele Sowore provides you with “duly authenticated documents”). But if it is, you owe it to Nigerians to explain to them that you cannot continue in your role as a public conscience because of your present work. You can tell them here and now that you are taking a break from that role to concentrate on your work with the EFCC and the Nigerian government. Those who will criticize you will do so; those who understand will give you the benefit of doubt. But at least, you would have been open to them about exactly what the situation is. You cannot run with the hares and hunt with the hounds

I knew keyamo was not telling it all. . . . .  . . . .over to u mr keyamo.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 12, 2009
Festus Keyamo's anti-corruption credibility is totally destroyed

You cannot run with the hares and hunt with the hounds

for the sake of his new found wealth he should keep quiet for good
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 12, 2009
I hope texxapette will practice what he preaches and take out these points one-by-one
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by bronxdog: 10:39pm On Jan 12, 2009
What rubbish credentials - look at Sowore realing out his credentials as if it is one that deserve's a medal - hmmm - this can only happen in Nigeria - you sit outside a foreign counry and you purport to be fighting for your country - what rubbish, fok you and fok sahara reports, fok keyamo and fok all you stupid activists - what have you done to make Nigeria better from the date you all have been singing like parrots? the fact that many people agree that Nigeria is worse, is an attestation to the fact that your noises are loud but of no darm effect, if there had been any effect, maybe you and likes of you would have junketed back into your country Nigeria - so, the fact that you agree with me that it has become worse, only speaks the fact that y'all need to shut up and get a life.

Yea, all you people do is to publish falsehood and when you get arrested, you seek public pity and sympathy, like you are doing now, who gives a damn, if you have any criminal case, take it to the court, or shut the hell up, now trying to reek public sympathy is nothing but a doo doo that will never go away but smell. We are tired of your likes, alarmist journalism, junk journalism i call it all - both of you have rode on the system to get to where you are - deny it or not and you will be damned.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by fizokey(m): 10:43pm On Jan 12, 2009
Having read all the noise making from and concerning this sowore man on this ''Nigerian'' discussion forum NL my only comment is this, ''Mr Sowore, since u have renounced your Nigerian status, i advise u SHUT YOUR TRAPS and shun any related issues concerning Nigeria, since u r not a Nigerian''.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by BOSS7: 10:46pm On Jan 12, 2009
bronx_dog:

What rubbish credentials - look at Sowore realing out his credentials as if it is one that deserve's a medal - hmmm - this can only happen in Nigeria - you sit outside a foreign counry and you purport to be fighting for your country - what rubbish, fok you and fok sahara reports, fok keyamo and fok all you stupid activists - what have you done to make Nigeria better from the date you all have been singing like parrots? the fact that many people agree that Nigeria is worse, is an attestation to the fact that your noises are loud but of no darm effect, if there had been any effect, maybe you and likes of you would have junketed back into your country Nigeria - so, the fact that you agree with me that it has become worse, only speaks the fact that y'all need to shut up and get a life.

Yea, all you people do is to publish falsehood and when you get arrested, you seek public pity and sympathy, like you are doing now, who gives a damn, if you have any criminal case, take it to the court, or shut the hell up, now trying to reek public sympathy is nothing but a doo doo that will never go away but smell. We are tired of your likes, alarmist journalism, junk journalism i call it all - both of you have rode on the system to get to where you are - deny it or not and you will be damned.

The retarded dog is barking again!!!
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by Njoy1(f): 10:48pm On Jan 12, 2009
bronx_dog:

Bronx_dog.

You got it right there, they are nothing but alarmists and rabber rousers, take no heed to them. Who cares if Sowore fights Keyamo or Keyamo fights Sowore, which of them is better than the other? None, they are birds of the same feather, crying all loud but achieving nothing. Realing out thugrey activities as if they deserve Nobel Peace price. I remember back in 1994/95, this Sowore boy led dozens of thugs calling themselves students to homes of purported cult members and looted, destroyed and burnt down homes because they think cult members live there, this kind of person known for thugrey, is now singing while fools listen to him. In countries that matters, someone like you will still be in jail now when all the attrocities commited by him and his thugs while he was the student union leader become investigated.
Re: Festus Keyamo Replies Omoyele Sowore by toshacer: 11:00pm On Jan 12, 2009
Someone says he loves his country, runs out of it, and then stays outside the country to write about things he hasnt witnessed or havent been there on his own to verify the story he writes about, and all he gets are accolades and things like that. Even in America where he lives, all so called activities live within their country, I am so appaled at the way activism in Nigeria is practiced, it all seems for publicity and political gains.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku's Political Adviser Escalates His Attack On Wole Soyinka / How NNPC Is Colliding With Swiss Traders To Steal Nigeria’s Crude Oil / 1949 - Nnamdi Azikiwe's Speech To Ibo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.