Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) (3516 Views)

6 Critical Reasons Why Northern Nigeria Remains The Poorest - Sen. Shehu Sani / Meet The World Poorest President / Uruguay Bids ‘pauper President’ Mujica, Farewell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by hedges007(m): 5:49pm On Mar 01, 2015
Would any Nigerian Leader step down after 5yrs even when the people wants him to continue? Nahhh...I guess they would rather force themselves on us..

Uruguay bids farewell to Jose Mujica, its pauper president as he steps down after 5years in office..

Jose Mujica is often referred to as the president most other countries would rather have, as Wyre Davies reports

Whatever your own particular "shade" of politics, it's impossible not to be impressed or beguiled by Jose "Pepe" Mujica.

There are idealistic, hard-working and honest politicians the world over - although cynics might argue they're a small minority - but none of them surely comes anywhere close to the outgoing Uruguayan president when it comes to living by one's principles.

It's not just for show. Mujica's beat-up old VW Beetle is probably one of the most famous cars in the world and his decision to forego the luxury of the Presidential Palace is not unique - his successor, Tabare Vasquez, will also probably elect to live at home.Wearing what could best be described as "casual" clothes - I don't think he's ever been seen wearing a tie - Mujica seats himself down on a simple wooden stool in front of a bookshelf that seems on the verge of collapsing under the weight of biographies and mementoes from his political adversaries and allies.

Start Quote

This world is crazy, crazy! People are amazed by normal things and that obsession worries me!" ”

Books are important to the former guerrilla fighter who spent a total of 13 years in jail, two of them lying at the bottom of an old horse trough. It was an experience that almost broke him mentally and which shaped his transformation from fighter to politician.

But when you visit "Pepe" at his tiny, one-storey home on the outskirts of Montevideo you realise that the man is as good as his word.'Inner strength'
"I was imprisoned in solitary [confinement] so the day they put me on a sofa I felt comfortable!" Mujica jokes.

"I've no doubt that had I not lived through that I would not be who I am today. Prison, solitary confinement had a huge influence on me. I had to find an inner strength. I couldn't even read a book for seven, eight years - imagine that!"

Given his past, it's perhaps understandable why Mujica gives away about 90% of his salary to charity, simply because he "has no need for it".

A little bit grumpy to begin with, Mujcia warms to his task as he describes being perplexed by those who question his lifestyle.

"This world is crazy, crazy! People are amazed by normal things and that obsession worries me!"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-31679475

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Elslim: 5:51pm On Mar 01, 2015
Our own na world richest presido. And hm no wan step down na step up hm de find again.

4 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by philGeo(m): 5:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
Not in Nigeria, his kingsmen will said that if you step down, your are not our son, and somebody after militry rule will want to come back with all means. i know some of our mumu African leaders will give him new name.

3 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by philGeo(m): 5:57pm On Mar 01, 2015
that is what i call leader.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by olu77(m): 6:01pm On Mar 01, 2015
An incorruptible leader. Look at his wife smilling in one of the pics and riding joyfully with his husband.

Even if our own once Shoeless Jona had suggested to Mama Peace his dream to emulate this rare life of true service, she would have told him point blank 'not as long as I am alive'.

Behind every successful man...

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by parkhurst: 6:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
...Are you better off now than you were 6 years ago before President Jonathan was sworn in as president after the death of President Umaru Yaradua? Are Nigerians living a higher quality of life now than before because they have access to better, good paying jobs, better healthcare, better education and infrastructure, power or electricity that has removed the need to invest in diesel generators? What is your perception of corruption in the country?

Follow links in my signature, NL is blocking any information that does not or may not favour the current government.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Raiders: 6:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
A true leader is suppose to feel the pains of his followers.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
Am not a fan

He has just gone there to waste his country's tine for 5 years

What were his achievements in office, how many jobs did he create? What problems did he solve.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Gracias "Pepe" for showing what leadership is. A day will come when Nigerians in their numbers will bid a happy farewell to patriotic leaders. I enjoin patriotic citizens to join political parties and aspire to occupy leadership positions. We also have the responsibility of electing credible candidates and parties at all level to position of leadership. For 2015 poll, I enjoin all to support the candidacy of Goodluck Jonathan for President. Though not perfect, but we can't gamble by electing undemocratic, hypocritical and unrepentant broom wavers chanting change that they don't practice. We shall change within the Jonathan led PDP.

God Bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by hedges007(m): 6:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
He lives simply and rejects the perks of the presidency. Mujica has refused to live at the Presidential Palace or have a motorcade. He lives in a one-bedroom house on his wife’s farm and drives a 1987 Volkswagen. “There have been years when I would have been happy just to have a mattress,” said Mujica, referring to his time in prison. He donates over 90% of his $12,000/month salary to charity so he makes the same as the average citizen in Uruguay. When called “the poorest president in the world,” Mujica says he is not poor. A poor person is not someone who has little but one who needs infinitely more, and more and more. I don’t live in poverty, I live in simplicity. There’s very little that I need to live. He is opposed to war and militarism. “The world spends $2 billion a minute on military spending,” he exclaimed in horror to the students at American University. “I used to think there were just, noble wars, but I don’t think that anymore,” said the former armed guerrilla. “Now I think the only solution is negotiations. The worst negotiation is better than the best war, and the only way to insure peace is to cultivate tolerance.”
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by hedges007(m): 6:10pm On Mar 01, 2015
mikeansy:
Am not a fan

What were his achievements in office, how many jobs did he create? What problems did he solve.
His major focus has been on redistributing his nation’s wealth, claiming that his administration has reduced poverty from 37% to 11%. “Businesses just want to increase their profits; it’s up to the government to make sure they distribute enough of those profits so workers have the money to buy the goods they produce,” he told businessmen at the US Chamber of Commerce. “It’s no mystery–the less poverty, the more commerce. The most important investment we can make is in human resources.” His government’s redistributive policies include setting prices for essential commodities such as milk and providing free computers and education for every child.

2 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by kodded(m): 6:12pm On Mar 01, 2015
Meanwhile somewhere in nigeria a 73 year old grand pa want to be a president after contesting for the election for 5 consecutive time

Na him mate dey donate money give charity, send his children to a public school and retire from politics even when they beg him to stay

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by olu77(m): 6:15pm On Mar 01, 2015
barcanista:
Gracias "Pepe" for showing what leadership is. A day will come when Nigerians in their numbers will bid a happy farewell to patriotic leaders. I enjoin patriotic citizens to join political parties and aspire to occupy leadership positions. We also have the responsibility of electing credible candidates and parties at all level to position of leadership. For 2015 poll, I enjoin all to support the candidacy of Goodluck Jonathan for President. Though not perfect, but we can't gamble by electing undemocratic, hypocritical and unrepentant broom wavers chanting change that they don't practice. We shall change within the Jonathan led PDP.

God Bless Nigeria

Another promise added to the ones unfulfilled after 6yrs

5 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 01, 2015
mikeansy:
Am not a fan

Bro, you need to read about his government or watch the news. He is in the mould of Lula da Silva of Brazil. He brought lots of Uruguay citizens off poverty, many people were uplifted to middle class. He pursued social programs providing shelters, and all other basics to exPoor Uruguay citizens. He also extended his social program to immigrant especially those fleeing from Syria and Iraq. Baba, we need to stand up for "Pepe". He's a Leader!!!

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by IsaAbubakaAzeez: 6:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
olu77:
An incorruptible leader. Look at his wife smilling in one of the pics and riding joyfully with his husband.

Even if our own once Shoeless Jona had suggested to Mama Peace his dream to emulate this rare life of true service, she would have told him point blank 'not as long as I am alive'.

Behind every successful man...

Better than the self acclaimed poor general that his wife donates millions

The Schizophrenic sick Pa Buhari is a terrorist, deranged old brainless super clueless bastard
Apc is boko haram
Thiefnu.bu is a pedophile and a cocain sniffer

Buhari can only be president in sambisa and shekau would hand over to him.

Osinbajo is fake and a loafer

Amechi and Fashola are errand boys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 01, 2015
olu77:

Another promise added to the ones unfullfiled after 6yrs
Oga Olu which promise again? angry
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 01, 2015
I was imprisoned in solitary [confinement] so the day they put me on a sofa I felt comfortable!" Mujica jokes.

"I've no doubt that had I not lived through that I would not be who I am today. Prison, solitary confinement had a huge influence on me. I had to find an inner strength. I couldn't even read a book for seven, eight years - imagine that!"

This man went to Prison, came back and became a better person as President. Obasanjo Olusegun went to Prison, was made President and he couldn't even conduct a single free and fair election nor fix the power sector.

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by olu77(m): 6:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
barcanista:
Oga Olu which promise again? angry

The promise to change within Jonathan led pdp
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by chinwike2(m): 6:52pm On Mar 01, 2015
Buhari + ameachi + thiv nubu = corruption
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 01, 2015
olu77:

The promise to change within Jonathan led pdp
Everybody know that we need change, but not the "APC grab power by all illegitimate means" kind of change. Nigerians are prepared to re-elect Goodluck Jonathan and implement the change within the PDP led by Goodluck. We won't bring the hypocrite broom wavers close to power.

3 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Viktor1983(m): 6:56pm On Mar 01, 2015
Impressive.... You'll never find people like this here.
Instead you"ll find oldies seeking third term.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
hedges007:

His major focus has been on redistributing his nation’s wealth, claiming that his administration has reduced poverty from 37% to 11%. “Businesses just want to increase their profits; it’s up to the government to make sure they distribute enough of those profits so workers have the money to buy the goods they produce,” he told businessmen at the US Chamber of Commerce. “It’s no mystery–the less poverty, the more commerce. The most important investment we can make is in human resources.” His government’s redistributive policies include setting prices for essential commodities such as milk and providing free computers and education for every child.

Redistribution of wealth and setting of prices?

I wish he stayed more lets see how sustainable his policies are!
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Chukwu94: 7:03pm On Mar 01, 2015
A perfect example to african leaders e.g nigeria, who keep looting their country's money.

I don't know why good people don't last long.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe should take note
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by sefe73(m): 7:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
Worthy of emulation.
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by ejiro2130(m): 7:46pm On Mar 01, 2015
barcanista:
Everybody know that we need change, but not the "APC grab power by all illegitimate means" kind of change. [s]Nigerians are prepared to re-elect Goodluck Jonathan [/s]and implement the change within the PDP led by Goodluck. We won't bring the hypocrite broom wavers close to power.

Who and who are you referring to as Nigerians??
Same Nigerians who are left in poverty? Abi the Nigerians dying from insurgency? ? Or the millions of university graduate left unemployed?? Please which Nigerians are you referring to?? Asari dokubo?? Or who please tell us
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
mikeansy:
Am not a fan

You are one of the problem we have in Nigeria. Greedy human being

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by tit(f): 8:29pm On Mar 01, 2015
what has he achieved?
is being the poorest man in the world an acievement?
how many people did he lift out of poverty?
Or did he drag more Urugayians into poverty?
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by PassingShot(m): 8:39pm On Mar 01, 2015
tit:
what has he achieved?
is being the poorest man in the world an acievement?
how many people did he lift out of poverty?
Or did he drag more Urugayians into poverty?

Sadist!
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by PassingShot(m): 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
barcanista:
Everybody know that we need change, but not the "APC grab power by all illegitimate means" kind of change. Nigerians are prepared to re-elect Goodluck Jonathan and implement the change within the PDP led by Goodluck. We won't bring the hypocrite broom wavers close to power.

So it's illegitimate to contest an election with Jonathan?

I swear yours is gradually going beyond Fayose and FFK combined.

3 Likes

Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by HzRF(m): 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2015
barcanista:
God Bless Nigeria
hedges007:
He lives simply and rejects the perks of the presidency. Mujica has refused to live at the Presidential Palace or have a motorcade. He lives in a one-bedroom house on his wife’s farm and drives a 1987 Volkswagen. “There have been years when I would have been happy just to have a mattress,” said Mujica, referring to his time in prison. He donates over 90% of his $12,000/month salary to charity so he makes the same as the average citizen in Uruguay. When called “the poorest president in the world,” Mujica says he is not poor. A poor person is not someone who has little but one who needs infinitely more, and more and more. I don’t live in poverty, I live in simplicity. There’s very little that I need to live. He is opposed to war and militarism. “The world spends $2 billion a minute on military spending,” he exclaimed in horror to the students at American University. “I used to think there were just, noble wars, but I don’t think that anymore,” said the former armed guerrilla. “Now I think the only solution is negotiations. The worst negotiation is better than the best war, and the only way to insure peace is to cultivate tolerance.”
barcanista:
God Bless Nigeria

Where can I get more information about this man
Re: Uruguay Bids Farewell To Jose Mujica (world's Poorest President) by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 01, 2015
I envy the way most South American countries lead by example.Its very worthy of emulation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Describe The Nigerian First Lady In Two Words / Ifeanyi Ikpoenyi Reacts To Kunle Afolayan’s Twitter Rant. (pics) / Xenophobia: South Africa Sends Frightening SMS To Expatriate Nigerians [read]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.