Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,023 members, 7,953,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:08 AM

Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please (2737 Views)

Nigerian Man Shows Off His Vehicle Made With Locally Sourced Materials. Photos / Suggestions Please Car Gurus.. / The New Innoson G5 Suv-off-road Performance Meets On-road Comfort. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by hyelhira: 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Hello All,

I currently drive a Toyota Corolla but I am planning to acquire a SUV soon for my off road runs (construction and farming). I was looking at Toyota Highlander or Lexus Rx300/330 for their fuel economy but it doesn't look like they are cut out for such rigorous activities. So I am considering the following with the following specs as alternatives (Year: 2005 and above; Engine size: 4.0L max):

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Prado
Nissan Xterra
Pathfinder
Ford Explorer
Ford Escape

Kindly let me know your opinion on the durability/ruggedness, performance, ease of maintenance, availability of parts/labour, etc. of these vehicles. You can also mention other vehicles that will serve the purpose better.
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by Lovetinz(m): 7:18pm On Mar 01, 2015
Construction and Farming?
Get yourself a Land Rover Defender.
It goes anywhere and everywhere.
Trusted by the Military. smiley

1 Like

Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by chukel(m): 7:25pm On Mar 01, 2015
Pathfinder(2002-2004) or xterra(2000-2003) will do. the 2005 and above of these vehicles are not as durable as their predecessors. you can also get them for less than 1.5m
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by leuelliot(m): 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
2005 4runner it has a 4.0l v6 which isn't too bad on gas plus tons of aftermarket bolt on parts. It's also very reliable
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by Denn(m): 12:15pm On Mar 02, 2015
Why not get a 4wd pick up truck?

Apart from the fact that it gets through all terrains, it also has the added advantage of hauling needed materials to site.

Trust me, you won't want to pack manure with your lexus

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by hyelhira: 2:21pm On Mar 02, 2015
Lovetinz:
Construction and Farming?
Get yourself a Land Rover Defender.
It goes anywhere and everywhere.
Trusted by the Military. smiley

I think the Land Rover is 'high end' its classic look notwithstanding. By the way, I am not sure if the maintenance will be affordable.

Thank you.
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by hyelhira: 2:22pm On Mar 02, 2015
I will definitely look into this. I will also check to see if their is no peculiar problem with that year of the model.

leuelliot:
2005 4runner it has a 4.0l v6 which isn't too bad on gas plus tons of aftermarket bolt on parts. It's also very reliable
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by nurey(m): 7:22am On Mar 03, 2015
As stated a pickup truck is your best bet, I will vote for 2005 Nissan frontier and 2005 toyota tacoma, but if you are bent on an off-road suv then I nominate
Nissan pathfinder or xterra, which ever u like
Toyota 4Runner 2003 model year upwards
Toyota fortuner (looks like hilux in suv form)
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by earthrealm(m): 1:21pm On Mar 04, 2015
Truck is beta 4 u...
if suv..then 4runner 4wd is cool
97 to 02 model is a beast ..while the 03 to 09 mod3l is also cool..n looks nicer...
with its 4wd and auxillary gear system....nothing can gold u down....
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2015
hyelhira:
Hello All,

I currently drive a Toyota Corolla but I am planning to acquire a SUV soon for my off road runs (construction and farming) . I was looking at Toyota Highlander or Lexus Rx300/330 for their fuel economy but it doesn't look like they are cut out for such rigorous activities. So I am considering the following with the following specs as alternatives (Year: 2005 and above; Engine size: 4.0L max):

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Prado
Nissan Xterra
Pathfinder
Ford Explorer
Ford Escape

Kindly let me know your opinion on the durability/ruggedness, performance, ease of maintenance, availability of parts/labour, etc. of these vehicles. You can also mention other vehicles that will serve the purpose better.

All I saw was the bolded grin
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb1apsQDvg_70mdvsSLZ3feqEKy77H_9SJOtidu2Mi8TP9FX7_6iUwajFfDg[/img]
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2015
2005 Nissan frontier
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by ollyruffy: 10:03pm On Mar 04, 2015
Any body on frame 4wd SUV will do for you.

All those you listed except the ford escape fall in this category.

Meanwhile, there is nothing like a vehicle that is strong to handle nigerian harsh environment. What matters is good and timely maintenance.

Dont drive and use the vehicle like a lorry and maintain it like a keke napep. If you know what i mean.
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by DECOtech(m): 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2015

Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by sultaan(m): 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2015
Look for Toyota Tacoma
Re: Off Road Vehicle - Suggestions Please by ivoryhouse(m): 8:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
hyelhira:
Hello All,

I currently drive a Toyota Corolla but I am planning to acquire a SUV soon for my off road runs (construction and farming). I was looking at Toyota Highlander or Lexus Rx300/330 for their fuel economy but it doesn't look like they are cut out for such rigorous activities. So I am considering the following with the following specs as alternatives (Year: 2005 and above; Engine size: 4.0L max):

Toyota 4Runner

Toyota Prado
Nissan Xterra
Pathfinder
Ford Explorer
Ford Escape

You may consider the Toyota 4runner,especially any model(especially the limited edition) between 2002-2008. It has decent ground clearance and should pull you out of nasty situations. I am not a Toyota person but based on your options it may be one of the best of your stated options

(1) (Reply)

Wheel Alignment And Balancing Technicians' Thread / Honda Accord (discussion Continues) / Honda Accord 2010 Not Starting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.