Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,934 members, 7,824,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (61964 Views)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by Nobody: 7:14am On Mar 09, 2016
TheTransformer:
two animals of different species are not supposed to mate... Yorubas are homo sapiens, we only mate with members of our species that is why we don't marry fulanis.

Do not short sell your people. Being a homo sapien is not a compliment, and saying another race isn't is not an insult If that's what it's meant to be. But it seems yorubas intermarry a lot with Igbos, igalas, Nupes... Fellow homo sapiens then?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by farouk0403(m): 6:45am On Jun 18, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

ooh stop this poppycock. it has nothing to do with purity, lord knows im not pure but thats what i choose to identify myself with. because i understand you can either be one or the other but not both. This is the way it should be. stick to your own. these people you speak of are illiterates, because they try to blend in with whichever crowd theyre in, i have this friend whose surname is gambari, he actually tells us he's hausa but he speaks yoruba and hausa fluently yet amongst yorubas he doesnt call himself yoruba. maybe he does, i dont know but thats just the hypocrisy i speak of. if youre hausa and you choose to be something else thats your Goddamn busines, but if youre not hausa and try to call yourself or identify as hausa, thats where were gonna have a problem.

I have been following your post on these thread and other threads, I like the way you defend your culture. You are a good ambassador of HAUSA people please keep it up.

thumbs up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by oyatz(m): 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2017
Like in any other places where two empires/ peoples overlap producing generations with ancestry.
1) In England, many people will tell you that most of the Teddy boys are not English but Irish (even though they may be only 1/8th Irish)
2) There are many people I have met in Kano, who told me they aren't Hausa and some even regarded the hausas as being backward, animists etc
3) Many Libyans , Tunisians, Morrocans and Egyptians denounce Arab identity.
4) Most Palestinians deny being jews ,even though genetic studies continue to indicate they share similar ancestry
People are free to chose who they want to be and ETHNICITY is no fixed through out the generations.

Nowenuse:

Pls get my point.
I did not say all Ilorin people are not proud yorubas, what i said is that some of them are not proud yorubas.
It is a simple cases of identity crisis just as u find amongst the Niger-deltan Igbos, some of them are proud of their igbo ancestry while some others deny their igbo ancestry due to the fact that they have a greater parr of their ancestry from another tribe or it may just b as a result of political incidences in the past.
Ilroin people were conquered by Hausa-fulani jihadists, so it is a normal thing for them to loose a significant part of their culture and acquire some of their conquerors.

There are some ilorin indigenes that are proud of their yoruba ancestry/origin WHILE there are some who deny their yoruba origin regardless of any political reason. It is just a fact because i have come across many instances of such.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by oyatz(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2017
Don't mind the bigots, thousands of Yorubas in Oyo , Kwara and Kogi States have Borgu, Nupe and Fulani ancestry and many Nupes and Fulani's in Niger ,Kogi and Kwara States also have Yoruba ancestry.
Sen Fatai Buhari (APC, Oyo North) bad Fulani ancestry
There is no pure Fulani in Kwara State, what you have at best is hybrid that chose Fulani self identification (depending on the proportions of ethnic mixture)
VomeSchakleton:

Do not short sell your people. Being a homo sapien is not a compliment, and saying another race isn't is not an insult If that's what it's meant to be. But it seems yorubas intermarry a lot with Igbos, igalas, Nupes... Fellow homo sapiens then?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by cooljude(m): 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2017
ChynoBEATS:

Hausa"s are more of Sunni's while yoruba's are More of shia ..... That's y.....

Your assertion is wrong, they are both Sunnis.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by topguy1: 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2017
am in the opinion that this is not correct, because my own be throne is yoruba and iam hausa muslim, and there is alot of these cases in ny iwn area
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by laudate: 5:49pm On Jan 20, 2017
oyatz:
Don't mind the bigots, thousands of Yorubas in Oyo , Kwara and Kogi States have Borgu, Nupe and Fulani ancestry and many Nupes and Fulani's in Niger ,Kogi and Kwara States also have Yoruba ancestry.
Sen Fatai Buhari (APC, Oyo North) bad Fulani ancestry
There is no pure Fulani in Kwara State, what you have at best is hybrid that chose Fulani self identification (depending on the proportions of ethnic mixture)

True!!
cheesy
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by haladadon: 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2019
nice write-up
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by laudate: 2:02am On Jun 18, 2019
Fulaman198:

Not all, but those who really see the world for what it truly is will wake up. There are many enlightened Africans, but the brainwashed far outweigh the non-brainwashed
Very true ... cry
Re: Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? by labani06(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2019
Wulfruna:
Going by what I have learnt, Hausa Muslims often have difficulty accepting Yoruba Muslims as true Muslims. Perhaps this is because Yoruba Muslims generally tend to be less rigid about their religion than their Northern counterparts.

I remember a conversation that once ensued between a Yoruba Muslim friend of mine and an Hausa man he engaged to repair his shoe.

The Hausa guy simply refused to accept my friend was Muslim, even after my friend recited passages from the Qu'ran in Arabic. Probably, in the Hausa cobbler's mind, you can't be Muslim if you are not a Northerner.

This perception may account for why we see relatively fewer cases of Hausa Muslim- Yoruba Muslim unions.
that HaUSA guy was just an illiterate don't mind him. Islam was not originated in hausa land.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Man Who Sat On The Throne Of Tor Tiv Barnished From TIV Land (pic) / Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.