Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,556 members, 7,823,442 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

MDGs Report Under PDP Administration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MDGs Report Under PDP Administration (1152 Views)

Hausa Man Contests For Councillor In Ebonyi Under PDP (Photos) / I Will Run For Presidency Under PDP In 2019 – Lamido / Military Treated Buhari Badly Under PDP — Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
This year marks the end of the current international development agenda reached in 2000, centred on the Millennium Development Goals. The MDGs encapsulate eight globally
agreed goals in the areas of poverty alleviation, education, gender equality and empowerment of women, child
and maternal health, environmental sustainability, reducing HIV/AIDS and
communicable diseases, and building a global partnership for development.

For Nigeria, it has been 15 years of motion without movement. Based on perceivable scenarios, Nigeria would not achieve any of the goals. In 2013, when the team from the International
Monetary Fund visited the Office of Senior Special Assistant to the
President on Millennium Development Goals to find out the country’s performance track towards achieving the MDGs. Dr. Precious Gbeneol, Senior
Special Assistant to the President on Millennium Development Goals, disclosed that the three tiers of government spends about N3tn annually as against the total sum of N4.3tn required to achieve the MDGs targets before the 2015 deadline. In a way, the SSA was preparing Nigerians’ mind that the lacuna of funding would be the albatross to achieving the MDGs.

From the goal one of eradicating
extreme poverty and hunger to goal eight of developing global partnership for development, Nigeria, despite her abundant natural resources, human
capital and ecological advantages, remains in dire need. On the United Nations Development Programme
Human Development Index report of 2013, Nigeria was categorised as one of the African countries not recording
remarkable improvement. According to the report, Nigeria was ranked amongst countries with low development index at 153 out of 186 countries that were ranked.

Life expectancy in Nigeria is placed at 52 years old while other health indicators reveal that only 1.9 per cent of the nation’s budget is expended on
health. The report asserts that 68.0 per cent of Nigerians are living below $ 1.25 daily while adult illiteracy rate for adult (both sexes) is 61.3 per cent. Based on UNICEF data, every single day, Nigeria loses about 2,300 under-
five year olds and 145 women of
childbearing age. This makes the country the second largest contributor to the under–five and maternal mortality rate in the world. It is observed that preventable or treatable
infectious diseases such as malaria, pneumonia, diarrhea, measles and HIV/AIDS account for more than 70 per cent of the estimated one million under-five deaths in Nigeria. To crown
it, the Mo Ibrahim Index for African Governance, 2013 rated Nigeria 41st out of 52 African countries. What this meant is that government impacts minimally in the life of the citizens. As of today, one dollar changes N208 at the Bureau de Change and with
Nigeria’s monolithic crude oil at its lowest, corruption remaining endemic, there arises pressure in meeting basic social needs. Even water, a supposedly common commodity acclaimed by the
late Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, as having “no enemy”, in our ensuing failed state cannot be made available to all. The foregoing presents
the case of a nation losing its soul.

While a MDGs Report in 2012 reported that 783 million people, or 11 per cent of the global population, remain without access to an improved source
of drinking water, a good number of the figure not covered lives in Africa and Nigeria. The 2012 report shows that 89 per cent of the world’s population was using improved drinking water sources, up from 76 per cent in 1990 and assumed that if the trends continue, 92 per cent of the global population will be covered by 2015. But the African predicament might obstruct the target, many in sub-Sahara Africa do not have access to clean water, the Nigerian case is even more terrifying. According to Water and Sanitation Media Network,

“35 million Nigerians still defecate in the open; about 90 million are without access to safe drinking water, and 130,000 under-five Nigerian children
die annually from preventable water borne diseases.”

Between 2011 and now, while the MDGs office model costing says $2.5bn (about N375bn) is needed to meet the nation’s water and sanitation targets,
the Federal Government notes that an extra N200bn is further required to provide additional development in dams with hydropower components
amongst others within the same
period. When the idea was presented in 2011, the Federal Government planned to fund the water road map via direct public and private sector financing, in which, budgetary appropriation as well as cost sharing
arrangements with states, local
councils and communities would be the public-proposed fund-raising approach, while private funding will be accessed via multilateral credit, loans and internally generated revenue. That was the last heard of the
water road map.

One of the most important milestones of the world’s effort in making water available to all was the recognition in July 2010 by the UN General Assembly of the human right to water and
sanitation. The Assembly recognised the right of every human being to have access to sufficient water for personal and domestic uses (between 50 and 100 litres of water per person,
per day), which must be safe,
acceptable and affordable (water costs should not exceed three per cent of household income), and physically accessible (the water source has to be within 1,000 metres of the home and
collection time should not exceed 30 minutes). Going by the foregoing, it is criminal on the part of government not to make water available to all.

Despite this milestone, it is unfortunate to note that over 40 per cent of all the people in sub-Saharan Africa are without improved drinking water and
are not in any way poised to meet the MDGs’ drinking water target this year. On February 12, 2015, I came across an article, “Vote for WASH”, written by
Greg Odogwu in The PUNCH, where he noted that there are communities even in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, where human beings drink from the same river as animals. “They wash, bathe, and drink from the same lake where animals drink. And, side by side, they use the same ‘sanitary facility’ with cattle. Their children fall sick of unknown illnesses and die. Yet, after every four years, politicians troop to these communities in their best campaign convoy with pomp and pageantry, making promises that will not be kept, until the next election when electioneering commences again.” WASH is the generic acronym
for Water Sanitation and Hygiene.

Early this year, Water Aid Nigeria and #Vote4WASH team commenced a social media campaign to #SaveKwalita
community in Gwagwalada, Abuja. It is stated that in this community, there are about 600 children without water, sanitation, health centre and school. For those who do not know, Abuja is the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy.

It is not like the Nigerian state has
been standing akimbo. In a report written by Ameto Akpe for Pulitzer Centre on Crisis Reporting in 2012, “In January 2011, the FederalGovernment launched the water road map, a blueprint that describes the
government’s objectives in developing the nation’s water resources between 2011 and 2025. The plan includes the
promise that 75 per cent of Nigerians will have access to potable water by 2015, and 90 per cent by 2020. With
the launch of the plan, President
Goodluck Jonathan’s administration
announced the availability of special intervention funds for several projects.”

Sulaimon Mojeed-Sanni
http://www.theopinion.ng/mdgs-water-and-a-dying-nation/
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by DaBullIT(m): 2:15pm On Mar 02, 2015
Let them come and shout Gej till something

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 02, 2015
As part of efforts towards promoting issue based campaign, I would like to hear your take on this issue

Copy: Babyosisi Barcanista signz Taylor86 234GT thunderrider Adindupeter ElekeNtioba MIB1 chukwudi44 amace ElekeNtioba deor03 AustineE1 Splashme Rad1cal yakubuomowumi saintTim Zenoniseay ammyluv2002 sirRiddy bestestgirl Forzap steppin TheSonOfMark iwezor1 ylaa lilbazy kekakuz
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Patewo: 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2015
yakubuomowumi:

Moderators, why has this poster not been banned for incessantly spamming this board?

Cc: Seun and lalasticlala
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 02, 2015
Any lie from apc and its leadership is from d pit of hell, pls where is ma buhari? undecided

2 Likes

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
y is my name listed on dis list, am yet to understand

cc: lalasticlala, seun, martins301

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by sammyj: 6:13pm On Mar 02, 2015
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by sammyj: 6:17pm On Mar 02, 2015
Clueless Government. My prayers to all GEJ supporters is for God to run their life the way GEJ has been running this Nation, let them say Amen!!

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 02, 2015
Taylor86:
y is my name listed on dis list, am yet to understand

cc: lalasticlala, seun, martins301

Some of your posts show that you support the government of GEJ. I just want your take on the write up above.

2 Likes

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 02, 2015
Martins301:

Some of your posts show that you support the government of GEJ. I just want your take on the write up above.
pls ddnt understand anyfin, summarize for me pls no vex

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
OP thank you very much. The failure of the Nigeria state to meet the goals as set out in the MDG document is a regrettable and pathetic one. Government at all level since 1999 failed woefully in playing their parts to meet the MDG. Let's take provision of clean water for instance, how many states of the federation can boast of providing clean water to the populace? Look at the states in the South South, South East and South West. Despite the huge allocation and high IGR Nigerians living in these places usually resort to self-help through digging of boreholes and streams. Most of these waters are unclean. The Area of health care is even pathetic. Primary health centers don't have the necessary facilities. General hospitals and Teaching Hospitals are usually in the constant shortage of personnels, equipments or strike. Our government at all level usually bring out excellent documents without implementation. The Education sector is not faring better either. Nigerians must sit up and know that we can't continue with such kind of lifestyle forever. We must begin to hold our leaders accountable to fulfil their ELECTORAL promises and not celebrate mediocrity. Most importantly, credible individuals should aspire to political offices to bring the desired development.

Note: My "Leaders at all level" is inclusive of all office holders since 1999 at Federal, State and LG level irrespsective of party.

May God Help Us All

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 02, 2015
Taylor86:
pls ddnt understand anyfin, summarize for me pls no vex

Without mincing words, the report states that Nigeria has performed very poorly in attaining the MDGs. In other words, poverty, illiteracy, maternal mortality, HIV, gender inequality to mention but a few have not be tackled in the country. Unfortunately, PDP has been in power the whole time the programme has been in operation.

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
Martins301:

Without mincing words, the report states that Nigeria has performed very poorly in attaining the MDGs. In other words, poverty, illiteracy, maternal mortality, HIV, gender inequality to mention but a few have not be tackled in the country. Unfortunately, PDP has been in power the whole time the programme has been in operation.
bro, read the article very well. The MDG is not the exclusive of the FG alone. It cuts across all levels of leadership irrespective of party. It doesn't bother on Jonathan led Government alone but all the government since 1999. You should not play politics with it except you are ready to analyse the contributions of APC so far since 1999 and compare with that of Jonathan led FG since 2010.

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 02, 2015
barcanista:
bro, read the article very well. The MDG is not the exclusive of the FG alone. It cuts across all levels of leadership irrespective of party. It doesn't bother on Jonathan led Government alone but all the government since 1999. You should not play politics with it except you are ready to analyse the contributions of APC so far since 1999 and compare with that of Jonathan led FG since 2010.

You cannot deny the fact that the MDGs as a global initiative was adopted and has been operational in Nigeria under the PDP led federal government.

APC is a relatively new party and has never been at the helm of affairs in the country. APC is not responsible for the abysmal allocations to the education and health sectors or are they?

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by PassingShot(m): 7:22pm On Mar 02, 2015
While noting that the MDGs is not the exxclusive responsibility of the FG to achieve, it's impossible for the PDP led regime to be absolved from this disgraceful failure. It is the government at the center that drives programs of this magnitude while the states take a cue from the fg.

But when the head is directionless, this is what you get as a result.

PDP has ruled since this republic was ushered in in 1999 while the MDG initiative was birthed in 2000, just a year after PDP came on board. Pray, tell what percentage of the goals have been achieved? Far far below average of what some lowly ranked countries achieved!

Nigerians should naturally have no business being poor but what do you get from a party that is only interested in the well being ofsome privileged members and families.

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
barcanista:
OP thank you very much. The failure of the Nigeria state to meet the goals as set out in the MDG document is a regrettable and pathetic one. Government at all level since 1999 failed woefully in playing their parts to meet the MDG. Let's take provision of clean water for instance, how many states of the federation can boast of providing clean water to the populace? Look at the states in the South South, South East and South West. Despite the huge allocation and high IGR Nigerians living in these places usually resort to self-help through digging of boreholes and streams. Most of these waters are unclean. The Area of health care is even pathetic. Primary health centers don't have the necessary facilities. General hospitals and Teaching Hospitals are usually in the constant shortage of personnels, equipments or strike. Our government at all level usually bring out excellent documents without implementation. The Education sector is not faring better either. Nigerians must sit up and know that we can't continue with such kind of lifestyle forever. We must begin to hold our leaders accountable to fulfil their ELECTORAL promises and not celebrate mediocrity. Most importantly, credible individuals should aspire to political offices to bring the desired development.

Note: My "Leaders at all level" is inclusive of all office holders since 1999 at Federal, State and LG level irrespsective of party.

May God Help Us All

If by this response you are agreeing that PDP has failed and should not be allowed further opportunity to pilot the affairs of Nigeria then I rest my case.

Copy: Lalasticlala Obinoscopy Seun
Pls move to home page so more people can be informed. Thanks.
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 02, 2015
Martins301:

are you saying i should stop supporting GEJ

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by iwezor1(m): 10:57pm On Mar 02, 2015
Well I think the government hasn't paid more attention towards attending such MDG's although if such scenario occurs I think dr should be a proper commitie to draw the attention of the govt and d masses.
And also due to the coming of this electoral period aswell
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:45am On Mar 03, 2015
Taylor86:
are you saying i should stop supporting GEJ

Am asking you to please support Buhari. . .lets work together to keep govt on its toes. If we keep celebrating and supporting non-performing leaders, we will continue to get reports like this in future.
Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 03, 2015
iwezor1:
Well I think the government hasn't paid more attention towards attending such MDG's although if such scenario occurs I think dr should be a proper commitie to draw the attention of the govt and d masses.
And also due to the coming of this electoral period aswell

The report is another way of saying that govt at the federal as led by PDP has not made any significant step towards improving the welfare of the common man. I hope this gives you enough reason to stop singing the praise of PDP/GEJ.

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 03, 2015
Martins301:

Am asking you to please support Buhari. . .lets work together to keep govt on its toes. If we keep celebrating and supporting non-performing leaders, we will continue to get reports like this in future.
and what will i gain supporting buhari, do u know if am being paid to discredit buhari on line... unless you are ready to pay me

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 03, 2015
Taylor86:
and what will i gain supporting buhari, do u know if am being paid to discredit buhari on line... unless you are ready to pay me

Join the APC so you can proudly tell ur progenies that u joined in the fight for the liberation of Nigeria from some microscopic self centred cabals. Do it for patriotism.

1 Like

Re: MDGs Report Under PDP Administration by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 03, 2015
Martins301:

Join the APC so you can proudly tell ur progenies that u joined in the fight for the liberation of Nigeria from some microscopic self centred cabals. Do it for patriotism.
trash

(1) (Reply)

How Obasanjo Dealt With Me, Reshaped My Life – Tinubu / Where Is Oluwaseun Osewa / Word For My Igbo Brothers, By Maduka Fidorocks Onwukeme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.