Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,311 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship (8366 Views)

I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi / I’m Ready To Renounce My Throne For Biafra Freedom”–eze Kanu, Nnamdi Kanu Father / Nigerian Citizenship Eligibility With Regard To Elected Offices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jan 13, 2009
vicade:

Tpia mehn, U be joker o.

well that is why i love nairaland.Home of Jokers

Anyways, the if this is his way of inspiring people and riling people up, He needs to listen to obama more and be more persuasive than he is

Do you know that at one time, Babangida was once considered the Obama of Nigeria? Apparently people were tired of being forced to do right under Buhari/Idiaghon, we welcomed Babangida in believing his many speeches prefixed with the phrase “FELLOW NIGERIANS”, only almost immediately after we welcomed his regime, did we realize that we were in for it, and he made sure to put us in our place when he annulled June 12th election. My point is, one need not be an Obama ( able to give good speeches ) to change  or inspire people. Look at Einstein, Mother Theresa and others like them who barely spoke in public but have inspired millions all over the world through their deeds. This dude has worked on inspiring folks by doing, as well as speaking out over the internet. I do hope we do not trash him cause his methods are not that which we would choose, should we be in his shoes.

vicade:

My verdict is that me as a person will not lay my life down or even put it in risk to be a hero or clamour for change because those that have died in recent years have just died for nothing.So why should i be inspired to risk my life when those who did it did not have any useful impact?

I respect your verdict and I agree that it does not seem like those who died to change things made much of a difference but it is not too late to see change come from all those. Just that we may have to wait a bit longer for minds to change. If you also note, most of them died at the hands of ordinary Nigerians who were not ready to embrace change in the direction those felt worth dying for.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by vicade(m): 8:57pm On Jan 13, 2009
What Ken saro wiwa died for is still happening.So why die when u can Kidnap my naija delta friends ask me. To change Nigeria, we need a fresh batch of matyrs to take the lead, call me cowardly, i am not one of such matyrs and dont intend to be anytime soon. what about you?
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Sapphic: 9:27pm On Jan 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Is the “Bile” spewed really about his returning or not? Why overlook the main message only to pick on the few and make an issue of that? The man points out various issues that you and I know to be the reality in the country. Why not focus on the main, instead of attacking his person for seeing and reacting to the same issues in a different way?

You really need to take your own advice before talking out your ass here. angry Where in my entire post did I attack Soyemi's person? I am sure you are capable of reading. It was YOU who did NOT focus on my main post reproduced below, cos if you had, you would have observed that from my very first sentence, I AGREED with his feelings of resentment AND said I felt same way about Nigeria.  

Sapphic:

Me, I don't blame the Soyemi guy for his apathy towards Nigeria. Feelings of shame, disgust, embarrassment and anger are not new to me in relation to the country of my birth Nigeria. Nigeria is a bleeping disgrace. However, we have to draw a line somewhere and I feel he went too far as there was no need for all those horrendous curses  angry angry angry (and so as for those curses, I say back to sender angry). Unwittingly, he has cursed himself, his offspring and all his future generations too. All I can say is if he wants to remove final traces of his Nigerian heritage, he should change his name by deed poll to a name native to his adopted country (this includes his wife and children too) and all of them should take elocution lessons to get rid of the thick "Ogbono" accent. He need not return to Nigeria ever again. Let's hope he does not commit a serious offence in his adopted country as come countries (like the UK) have taken to deport convicted naturalised citizens who commit certain offences. Na that time him go hia ween. undecided

If you think it is alright for someone to curse you, that's your own problem. I do not have to agree with everything Soyemi said and I definitely do not agree with parts of what he wrote. And again I repeat that as regards the curses, may they go back to sender. If you do not like that, too bloody bad. angry
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Jan 13, 2009
vicade:

What Ken saro wiwa died for is still happening.So why die when u can Kidnap my naija delta friends ask me. To change Nigeria, we need a fresh batch of matyrs to take the lead, call me cowardly, i am not one of such matyrs and don't intend to be anytime soon. what about you?

Roflmao!!! I am clear on what I believe in. My God, and his ability to see me through!!! Anything else is not worth me dying for. Never really believed in the whole patrotism idea ( I just don't get it) but I do believe in doing the best I can in all things. I definitely will not die for anything; I could die for what I believe in but that is about it. Let folks read what they will into it. Matyr, I am not. lol
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by BOSS7: 9:38pm On Jan 13, 2009
vicade:

What Ken saro wiwa died for is still happening.So why die when u can Kidnap my naija delta friends ask me. To change Nigeria, we need a fresh batch of matyrs to take the lead, call me cowardly, i am not one of such matyrs and don't intend to be anytime soon. what about you?

So what's your point? Because people are not ready to die, they can not enforce or initiate what could make the government change their ways? We don't need fresh matyrs my friend as you've just scored yourself an own goal there because you said What Ken saro wiwa died for is still happening.So why die when u can Kidnap my naija delta friends ask me. To change Nigeria, we need a fresh batch of matyrs to take the lead, and by the way, you are not ready to be a matyr anyway so what's your point there?

You don't want to die but you think what we need are matrys?

Better sit down in London and don't say that to the peeps struggling in Nigeria.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by mustafar1: 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2009
Do we need to be martyrs to stand for something or believe in something?
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by BOSS7: 9:43pm On Jan 13, 2009
must_a_far:

NL the best website with the best intellectual HIV being spread.

grin grin grin
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by BOSS7: 9:45pm On Jan 13, 2009
must_a_far:

Do we need to be martyrs to stand for something or believe in something?

You can ask that question again, I'm awaiting Mr Vicade's response to that. He's probably comfortabvle somewhere in a pub in London and yet he expects some people to go and die just for believing in a just cause.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by mustafar1: 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2009
BOSSman make i ask again true true. cos i dont want to overwhelm anybody with my jamb kweshuns o. grin cheesy
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by vicade(m): 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

So what's your point? Because people are not ready to die, they can not enforce or initiate what could make the government change their ways? We don't need fresh matyrs my friend as you've just scored yourself an own goal there because you said What Ken saro wiwa died for is still happening.So why die when u can Kidnap my naija delta friends ask me. To change Nigeria, we need a fresh batch of matyrs to take the lead, and by the way, you are not ready to be a matyr anyway so what's your point there?

You don't want to die but you think what we need are matrys?

Better sit down in London and don't say that to the peeps struggling in Nigeria.

First of all , u in naija or wherever  and me where i am does not make u any more Nigerian than me

To challenge the naija government or mentality, u have to be ready to be a martyr and i was ascertaining that past martyrs have died in vain and i dont want to be one of such and the question is how many people are in my shoes or are ready to die to challenge the government? instead of just believing We need martyrs but definitely not myself. Maybe u could volunteer yourself and we build a big statue in your honour in some round about in lagos and name a street after you and that is it.And we have been believing and challenging the Government within us but between u and me and 140 million nigerians, if u want to challenge corruption for example like ribadu and dora of NAFDAC have done, u must be ready to die like biggie.

And there are many ways to kill a man before his actual physical death if u get what i mean

To make this government change is to go through the J J Rawlings route i think.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by mustafar1: 9:57pm On Jan 13, 2009
would it make a difference if i point out that, an individual doesnt make himself a martyr. his deeds, actions is what prompts people to put him or her in the martyr realm after they most likely have passed.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by vicade(m): 9:58pm On Jan 13, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

You can ask that question again,  I'm awaiting Mr Vicade's response to that. He's probably comfortabvle somewhere in a pub in London and yet he expects some people to go and die just for believing in a just cause.

It is good to believe. I believe . But if i decide to run for govenor of lagos and i am mudered et la funsho williams or the attorney general murderd and his killers still at large and that ekiti politician. U think those guys were just believing? They were acting and trying to make things happen.

Now i look at funsho williams and bola ige both dead and no one brought to book and u think i will be superman or that will encourage me abi?

I believe yes. But even Faith without works is dead.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by vicade(m): 10:00pm On Jan 13, 2009
must_a_far:

would it make a difference if i point out that, an individual doesnt make himself a martyr. his deeds, actions is what prompts people to put him or her in the martyr realm after they most likely have passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr

The term martyr (Greek μάρτυς martys "witness"wink is most commonly used today to describe an individual who sacrifices his or her life (or personal freedom) in order to further a cause or belief for many

But if i am wrong in the context with which i am using the word, i just hope u get the drift. I am no Linguist u know. wink
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by oderemo(m): 10:01pm On Jan 13, 2009
To make this government change is to go through the J J Rawlings route i think[sub][/sub]

that has been my view all along but come to wonder is ghana less corrupt afterwards . but if that  rawling action is continuos like in china i think people will have a change of mind about looting puplic purse. not when we still embrace thief and thugs  in nigeria.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by vicade(m): 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2009
ode remo:

To make this government change is to go through the J J Rawlings route i think[sub][/sub]

that has been my view all along but come to wonder is ghana less corrupt afterwards . but if that  rawling action is continuos like in china i think people will have a change of mind about looting puplic purse. not when we still embrace thief and thugs  in nigeria.

Well if u can beat them, you Join them abi? At least there is light in Ghana and they had a nice election unlike ours where results are published before votes are cast.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by mustafar1: 10:08pm On Jan 13, 2009
vicade:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyr

The term martyr (Greek μάρτυς martys "witness"wink is most commonly used today to describe an individual who sacrifices his or her life (or personal freedom) in order to further a cause or belief for many

But if i am wrong in the context with which i am using the word, i just hope u get the drift. I am no Linguist u know. wink

Guy, I'm not scolding you or anything. the way it was used just simply made it possible to interprete it otherwise. anyway at least u understood what i was pointing at, some people for don respond talk say make i carry my oversabi leg comot while they keep trying to get minds confused
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by samorijack(m): 10:11pm On Jan 13, 2009
The only thing keeping this country together is the exploitation of mineral resources. The proccedes of this enterprise are stolen by the political and economic elite, to the detriment of Nigeria as a whole. If  the sale of fossil fules ceases to be economically viable Nigeria will not last ten minutes, Nigeria is just a big joke, but nobody's laughing now.  If the Yaradua and Obasanjo governments failed to appreciably improve the lot of the average Nigerian with a oil prices soaring over a hundred dollars, I fail to see how the present unambitious government will make any impact with prices hovering around thirty nine dollasr per barrel, It's easy to see there's no future for Nigeria.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by samorijack(m): 10:51pm On Jan 13, 2009
The only thing keeping this country together is the exploitation of mineral resources. The proccedes of this enterprise are stolen by the political and economic elite, to the detriment of Nigeria as a whole. If  the sale of fossil fules ceases to be economically viable Nigeria will not last ten minutes, Nigeria is just a big joke, but nobody's laughing now.  If the Yaradua and Obasanjo governments failed to appreciably improve the lot of the average Nigerian with a oil prices soaring over a hundred dollars, I fail to see how the present unambitious government will make any impact with prices hovering around thirty nine dollasr per barrel, It's easy to see there's no future for Nigeria.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Dede1(m): 11:47pm On Jan 13, 2009
@Author
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Dede1(m): 1:48am On Jan 14, 2009
@Author
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Dede1(m): 1:50am On Jan 14, 2009
@Author

It is not hard to label this author as a frustrated and delusional Peacock. The January 15, 1966 revolution in Nigeria had hardly started when it was baptized ethnic driven purge. It must be recalled that among the detractors of the revolution were the author’s forbearers and the author. The detractors of the revolution were so bent in rendering it unsuccessful that they skewed the reasons to metamorphose into a civil war. Nigeria lost her innocence of embarking on any revolution the moment she declared war on Biafra.

Nigerians are not cowards but are haunted by the lost of innocence as a resulted of how the previous revolutionists were branded and continued to be ridiculed by ever present detractors of many are abound on this forum. I beg of the author to erase any idea of revolution in Nigeria from his or her daily options. In fact, any smell of revolution must pass the scrutiny of ethnic bias.

As of the issue of 4-1-9, it is either the author is delusional or oblivious on the scale of fraud currently perpetrated at the Wall Street. The rates at which fraud are committed at financial center of some of the so-called developed counties make Nigerian’s 419 pale in comparison to them. It is a shame that Africans are only good at washing their dirty linen in public.

I am of the view that many Nigerians have embraced the fact that the union or colonial contraception called Nigeria is a colossal failure and the years of experimentation have yielded no hypotheses yet. As awkward as it may sound, the so-called Nigerians have very limited options. Turning tail as in a runaway and embarking on this shameful public shenanigan of renouncing Nigerian citizenship are definitely not one of them.

Nigerians must agree to peaceful disintegration of the colonial contraption as presently configured or agree to disagree leading to a total war of annihilation.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by tpia: 2:23am On Jan 14, 2009
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by udezue(m): 2:27am On Jan 14, 2009
Useless country. I don't blame the man
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Backslider(m): 9:09am On Jan 14, 2009
This is a Good thread. We will no longer be Nigerians by birth but by Choice.

The truth is that it will not matter if you are called chima, ckukwudi, Ronke, Jide, Mainasarra or Aishat etc what will matter is that you are patriotic and love your country.

The true cowards will be known. You are seeing Nigerians taking up nationality of Togo, Benin, Ghana, Congo and other countries. Very soon the Boys and the Men will be known.

If South Africa says that want to Sell nationality in Nigeria for $20,000 do you know how many Nigerians will buy it? God had to show us that we dont love ourselves and not untill we repent he will kill chase out those unsuitable ones.

God is taking out the Chaff note the Chaff is more than the real food.
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by BOSS7: 9:33am On Jan 14, 2009
Backslider:

God had to show us that we don't love ourselves and not untill we repent he will kill chase out those unsuitable ones.

Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by felifeli: 2:17pm On Jan 14, 2009
As a matter of fact I know several Americans who will be willing to BUY your Nigerian citizenship if it was available for sale. You don't want to be Nigerian anymore ? Bye bye . You don't need to make drama of your personal life decision. smiley
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by bronxdog: 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2009
who cares if you do@Poster?
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by asha80(m): 2:23pm On Jan 14, 2009
As a matter of fact I know several Americans who will be willing to BUY your Nigerian citizenship if it was available for sale. You don't want to be Nigerian anymore ? Bye bye . You don't need to make drama of your personal life decision.

In your dreams grin grin grin
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by BOSS7: 2:26pm On Jan 14, 2009
felifeli:

As a matter of fact I know several Americans who will be willing to BUY your Nigerian citizenship if it was available for sale. You don't want to be Nigerian anymore ? Bye bye . You don't need to make drama of your personal life decision. smiley

My friend felifeli, I have some customers for you if this is true and in fact they'll pay you double whatever you quote. Come on, I'm not saying this is impossible but that you know - could it be that easy to find?

E easy?

grin
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Kobojunkie: 4:04pm On Jan 14, 2009
So the situation in the country should now be measured by the "Assumed" number of "Americans" looking to own a nigerian passport? See how we put so much effort into trying to explain away the situation and pacify ourselves with all the excuses and ridiculous reasons we can drum up with. Kai!!! roflmao!!!
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by felifeli: 5:41pm On Jan 14, 2009
A Yoruba proverb says " when a child has never seen another farm he boasts that his father's farm is the largest in the world " . That is how most of us tend to explain out our situations. If anyone HATES this country they have their reason to which may not tally with my own experience . I don't know who your parents were, I don't know where you live , I don't know the kind of people you meet on a daily basis, I don't know what you do for a living and how much you get paid for it . I don't know the sort of food you like to eat and if you are getting enough of it. I don't have enough information about your life to even make a[b] relative[/b] comparison to mine  and you have no information about anyone else's life  to make absolute assessments about them. So I said if life in Nigeria is hell for you and you want to shake the dust of the country off you feet forever do it quick because time is going and life is short. But if you decide to turn it into drama , you look foolish to other who do  have no means of knowing what you are passing through because they have their own lives to attend to.
On the other hand I have an American friend who lives near me in Naija and would never consider returning home because never in her life has she ever been made to feel so loved as a human being as in her present location (Naija). I have group correspondence with several other African Americans (and others around the world)  who think life has short changed them by making  them to be  born outside a country that is so much a cultural gold mine. So if you hate Nigeria , and you feel so important to yourself because you do, f**k off then , and it's not like you'd be missed anyway because even when you are there all you do is complain and you do not help anybody or your community (most do not even pay tax) .I personally thank God that Nigeria have expelled so many of the complainers. The rest of us will soon be able to get on without the moaners going zig-zag all over place.
Please renounce your citizenship and go away quietly .
Re: I Hereby Renounce My Nigerian Citizenship by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Jan 14, 2009
Roflmao!!! Seun, you ought to get better emoticons on here !!! ROFLMAO!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Save Nigeria Group Debunks Pastor Bakare's Suspension Story / Olusegun Obasanjo vs Goodluck Jonathan / What My Government Will Do If I’m Elected As President – Ezekwesili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.