Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

My Phobia Story - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Phobia Story (18321 Views)

What Is Your Greatest Fear(phobia) / Types Of Phobia, Identify Yours(photos) / Types Of Fear(phobia) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Phobia Story by Ginaz(f): 3:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
interesting, I don't have much phobias but the only one I have, I don't even know the name for it. I don't like visiting or you visiting me except you are a very very close friend (by close I mean we have been friends from long,maybe years) or family members.

I get sweaty and panic whenever someone say they wanna visit me. ooya come and visit us na, I will not go. even if I go at the end after breaking so many promises, I won't spend up to an hour. I will get sweaty and my hands shaky till I leave.

this have affected my social life so much, I don't have friends currently, only my boo. whenever I visit him, I make sure nobody will be there, I don't wanna see an ant sef. but he understands, my family too. Some people thinks I'm a show off but I don't care and I love my life cos it's not boring. someone should name my phobia cos this one pass me.

2 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by d33types: 3:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
OP, inasmuch I don't doubt your story,most persons on this thread confuse intense fear for phobia.
To make a diagnosis of a phobia is far more than a doctor asking you some set of questions.if the doctor isn't a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist I doubt it.

a phobia is more of a psychological problem that can be managed and overcome successfully with therapy.

2 Likes

Re: My Phobia Story by chronique(m): 3:48pm On Jun 30, 2016
I have a phobia for heights. I don't like looking own from very tall buildings,I don't like walking/crossing deep drainages,I don't like walking over planks placed across a canal,etc. I always have the fear of falling. Sometimes,I suddenly jerk and panic when laying on my bed. What triggers that,is that I sometimes feel I'm falling from a height(even when I'm laying on my bed). I also have a phobia for large waters(beaches and lagoons). Anytime I take a journey on a ferry,I always fear I'd fall into the water. My heart only stops beating when I'm off the boat.
Re: My Phobia Story by eddy55: 3:48pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for this enlightening topic.
I also have the fear of hospital called nosocomephobia. I have this panic attack like I am going to faint. I always get better only when i run out of the hospital. I have never been admitted at the hospital or taken drip before. I am
always scared that i would die if I stay a bit long
at the hospital. But with your post google is my friend. Would find out how to overcome my worst fear.
Re: My Phobia Story by Sanchez01: 3:52pm On Jun 30, 2016
Pretty interesting. I don't really get to share my phobia. Luckily for me, I didn't take me long to realize I'm acrophobic. My first attack came on an elevator. I threw up the moment I got out of it and my hands became sweaty and cold all of a sudden. I had to use the stairs down. My second encounter, it almost happened... I was supposed to travel by air to Abuja for an important meeting. I clearly told the team I wouldn't go by air because I might just die before the plane touches the ground. I insisted we went by bus. Till tomorrow, anything four feet off the ground is a no-no.
Re: My Phobia Story by atm4real1: 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
for me it's usually meeting new people, in fact am always scared of meeting or interacting with new people, my old friends are d best I dnt want to make another friends neither did I want them to have a new friend even if they have I dnt like meeting them.... I do have some strange feelings anf fear whenever am abt to meet new friend, in fact it made me loose people who wants to befriend me cause I won't just chat with you or ending the chat as soon as possible.......lol
Re: My Phobia Story by Toosine: 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
Worst case of acrophobia......My own phobia is heights.Jeez, i cant even do 3 inches heels because of this morbid fear of falling down, i stay indoors when i am not on the ground floor in buildings. I can feel blood rushing to my face,nauseous and light headed whenever i look from any heights.
To make matters worse, i am just 5'3 ft tall who always wear flats.
Re: My Phobia Story by chronique(m): 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
Same with me. I remember I once asked them to stop the escalator at intercontinental bank in Victoria island,about 10yrs ago. I manged to climb it when going up but coming down was a problem. I tried my best but couldn't. They had to stop it for me to come down. Since then,I've always avoided escalators at airports,malls,and banks. I always use the lift or stairs.
Joavid:
mine's worse.

I can't take an escalator.

I rather take the stairs or elevator.

I hope to overcome the fear.

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by Akinaukwa: 3:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
This is one good reason i dont watch football matches involving our national teams. I prefer to watch the replay after knowing the scoreline. That is what i call "Ballphobia" grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by chronique(m): 4:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
I experience this a lot and it sends chills to my teeth(even if I'm not the one clinging both metals/irons together). I however,don't think it's a phobia. Probably som kinda genetic disorder.
Rubyventures:
I don't know whether mine is a phobia, but I feel sick on hearing two metals rubbing against each other. e.g. using a metal spoon the scrap a pot. Most of the cooking spoons in my house are either wooden or silicon.
Re: My Phobia Story by Rubyventures: 4:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
chronique:
I experience this a lot and it sends chills to my teeth(even if I'm not the one clinging both metals/irons together). I however,don't think it's a phobia. Probably som kinda genetic disorder.

You are right, I feel it in my teeth .

Genetic disorder?! Ewo!! odikwa risky! grin grin
Re: My Phobia Story by Jok3r(m): 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
floragregs:
[i]This is for those who have phobia problems. This is for those who don't even know they have it. This is for those who are not too lazy to read.

It started when I was in 100level in the university. I was young and inexperienced. I went to church with a friend, it was palm Sunday in the school's catholic church. The church was crowded there was even crowd outside (late comers). My friend and I were with the late comers. With our cross shaped palm leaves in our hands we stood patiently and listened to the priest from a very loud speaker. After the gospel reading, the doors were opened and people started rushing in (you know how students behave). My friend was dragging my left hand, urging me to hurry along with her but I was feeling something. I knew I had felt it once before but not like this. The crowd pushed forward and my friend couldn't hold me anymore. I felt choked up and very dizzy and I was gasping for air with my heart beating very fast. I didn't know what was happening to me. My friend was already inside the church when she realised I wasn't with her so she came outside to look for me. My heart was beating really fast and I was glad to see her. I just told her "Chinel, make we dey go hostel", she asked why, I just dragged her and we went back to the hostel without even blessing our 'palm cross'.
When we got to the hostel, I explained what I felt to my Chinel. I told her I could hear my heartbeat. She just rushed to the cupboard and brought out a sachet of tiny white drugs and gave me one. She said her doctor in Lagos recommended them when she had slight asthma symptoms. I just swallowed it without thinking or asking her any further questions. I wanted the palpitations to stop. After about 10minutes, I slept off. I woke up about an hour later, thanked Chinel and went upstairs to my room. But I just couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong with me.
I have an elder brother who lived and worked in the same city where I schooled. I called him around 4pm and told him I was sick. He didn't even wait for me to finish, he just said "ok start to come my house now now". I packed somethings and left for his place. His kids were happy to see me but something was troubling my mind so I couldn't play with them. The next morning, he took me to the Federal medical centre. We had a Doctor cousin there so it was easy for me to see him. After telling him what happened to me the previous day, he just said "you are Agoraphobic. Stay away from crowded places and lecture halls". He then prescribed a drug to control the palpitation. I was happy to have identified my problem. I did as he said, I stayed away from crowded places and halls and even market. I didn't notice when it stopped. I quit the drug and started living my normal life.
My second panic attack came when I was in 300level. I went to my sister's house in another state during one ASSU strike. We went to church one Sunday. The pastor making alter call for people with one sickness or the other. He even mentioned palpitation but I didn't want to face a crowd and experience another panic so I kept to myself. Then he told a short story of how he and his friend went to church and a pastor called out people like this. His friend who was asthmatic refused to come out so he died the next day bla bla bla. I still didn't go.
That night at home, I couldn't shake off the pastor's short story off my head. I wondered if something would go wrong. I went to bed at about 10pm but I couldn't sleep. I was thinking and I was scared. Some minutes to 12, something in my head started saying "so you refused to go out for prayers, you will die by sharp 12". The familiar wave of panic crept in. I jumped out of my bed with my heart beating very fast and loud. I knocked on my sister's room door. She came out with her husband. When she saw the horrible look on my face, she got scared and started crying and praying at the same time. I felt shortness of breath, my palms were sweaty, then the palpitation. I was having a panic attack. Why did I go to church that day? I thought. I hated the pastor for his short story. After some seconds I felt better. We all went back to bed. I slept well till morning. I felt good when I woke up, I didn't die!
When I was ready to go back to school, my sister's husband gave me a 'Rhapsody of realities' bible which contained nice and inspirational articles written by pastor Chris and his wife. These articles where inserted in between bible chapters. My sister's husband also gave me some verses to read when ever I felt sick.
My third panic attack came when I was still in 300level. We had workshop practice that Thursday afternoon by 1pm. I was already at the school gate by 12:30pm. I walking down to where we were to have the practical when I suddenly felt dizzy. I couldn't go further. I felt like if I did, I would faint. My heart started beating fast again and I felt shortness of breath but nobody noticed so I just turned and went back to the hostel. When I got my room I just cried and thought to myself "abi people for my village no want make I finish school?". Then I rebuked the thought and called my mum.
She was sick at that time and was admitted in another state about 2hours' bus ride. She told me to come over. I just packed somethings, not forgetting my bible, and left for the park. When I got to the hospital, they ran a test or two and said I had malaria. I didn't even bother to tell the doctor anything because I felt she might think I was crazy. I just let the treat malaria. They wanted to finish me with injections.
On my bed that night, I went through my Rhapsody bible and discovered an article by pastor Chris (page 654) "A very present help". It was just talking about fears, I was so happy to have seen it. I started reading psalm 91 everyday! I stayed in the hospital for 5days. I missed practical, tests and assignments. It was really bad because it affected my grade.
My brother came to take my mum and I home. I felt very dizzy, aftermath of plenty injections. I said to myself "I don't just any doctor, I need a shrink". I started browsing about phobias. I studied phobias more than my physics books. I wanted to know everything about them. We had free WIFI as at that time in my school so I always went to school with my ipod touch to browse and read about phobias. I started noticing that I didn't like being locked up in a room or being in closed spaces. I hated going to the bank because of the security door. I would say to my friends "if this door wastes one more second I might pass out". I just avoided tight and closed places, then I realised it was actually claustrophobia and not agoraphobia! Thanks to my browsing. I am sure 'Google' got tired of my search that period. Through my research, I got to know that millions of people have the same problems home and abroad. That was how I was able to conquer my fear. I haven't had a panic attack since I identified my problem and started avoiding what will trigger it. I even thought I would have a panic attack in NYSC camp because it felt like prison. Lol. But it didn't happen.

There are so many people who go through panic attack due to phobias but they don't even know it. You are half cured when you identify your problem and know that you are not the only one who has it. I remember the immigration recruitment test last year and I shiver with the knowledge that so many of them would have been claustrophobic or agoraphobic but didn't know it!
Holly wood actress, Whoopy Goldberg doesn't like being on a plane because she is aviophobic. Pete Edochie of Nollywood hates to fly because he's claustrophobic and can't be in an enclosed place. As for me, i'm still wondering if i'll be able to fly someday. I don't use elevators. I stay out of trouble because I don't want to ever be in a cell or worse still, a Nigerian prison. It has really affected me because I prefer to take long bus rides instead of flights.
There are worse phobias. I have read about Tokophobia which is the fear of pregnancy! The thought of a child growing in them makes them panic. There is also Xenophobia which is the fear of strangers or foreigners! They just hate meeting new people. I opened this thread to create little awareness of these problems.

My name is Flora. I'm a physicist and i'm Claustrophobic. Thanks for reading.
nice...
Re: My Phobia Story by kikies(m): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
O try,oyinbo po
Re: My Phobia Story by Brightgem(f): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
OP Ur understood. I have a phobia for looking at tiny holes clustered together, could be shower head, grater, or tiny things like grains packed together, thing is this only occurs when I have an allergic breakout of rash on my skin which I have been managing for years, once I have so much rash this phobia is triggered, I cannot stand staring at such things, holes on any surface are the biggest culprit. Phobia can make u want2 destroy something or almost feel like killing urself, it can be insane . u just need to calm urself most times, tell urself ur not in danger and remove urself from the situation where possible. visit my blog www.yourhealthattitude.com
one love

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by remioshy(f): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
sumborri:
My other name is PHOBIA. I have all of them. It has made me live an unhappy life most times but God is on the throne. I am even capable of developing a new phobia with time. I remeber when a mother hen chased me as a child and pecked me all over my body simply because (as I thought at the time) I didn't greet her before passing. Till now as an adult, the sight of a mother hen coming with her kids from the east will make me go west, and if I have to go east in her direction I make sure I say good morning ma or good afternoon. Mi ori aye oshi.

My fear of dangerous heights and claustrophobia is the worst. I believe that's how I will enventually die. From being locked up in a car booth or any enclosed space. I shall definitely not make it out alive

I feel you oo, I have a terrible phobia for close space, you won't catch me in a lift on my own, I have climbed 16 stories building just go avoid going in lift, or sometimes I hang around for people to go in lift with and I jump out wherever folks they get out to avoid being left alone and use stairs to complete the rest, it's a really bad condition , it limits activities and fun sometimes, even in public toilet I don't close the door, just use hand hold the door , in trains or coaches I make sure I go to toilet before boarding as I won't use toilet on board cos of too ting closed space. I hear cognitive behaviour therapy can help with phobias. I once turned down a job when I got to the building and discovered I will be going in the lift , I turned back , that's how bad it is. God Help us
Re: My Phobia Story by bobkezel(m): 4:33pm On Jun 30, 2016
I am longarticlephobic. I am already palpitating.
Re: My Phobia Story by 0ubenji(m): 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2016
I used to be acrophobic til I made a personal conquest of it nd set myself free..
My youngest sibling was extremely claustrophobic as a kid..how he conquered it, I have no idea..

I stil am unable to conquer these closely linked phobias I presently av: Thalassophobia and/or Aquaphobia..

I'd rather trek than be on a canoe..
U can never see me swim..
I cud play at the beach tho..buh I stil av these phobias at d back of my mind INCASE
----------------------------------------------------------
I tried to set myself free from the aforementioned phobias (by bein unda d runnin Shower nd hold my breath...atimes I dip my head in d bathtub to simulate drowning..) In vain..

Mehn..it neva worked..
Re: My Phobia Story by Brightgem(f): 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2016
OP Ur understood. I have a phobia for looking at tiny holes clustered together, could be shower head, grater, or tiny things like grains packed together, thing is this only occurs when I have an allergic breakout of rash on my skin which I have been managing for years, once I have so much rash this phobia is triggered, I cannot stand staring at such things, holes on any surface are the biggest culprit. Phobia can make u want2 destroy something or almost feel like killing urself, it can be insane . u just need to calm urself most times, tell urself ur not in danger and remove urself from the situation where possible. visit my blog www.yourhealthattitude.com
one love. oh this phobia is called trypophobia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Phobia Story by eph12(m): 4:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
This thing long o undecided
Re: My Phobia Story by Oloniyan(m): 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
Barney11:
mine is terrible,people even think that I might be possessed,I am Igbo by tribe and I can't stand loud sound ,Igbo burial place and christmass period is a nightmare for me,I am phonophobia!mine is worst cos I have tried all solution but can't get through it but I am thinking of ordering for earplug for shooting from online shop,hoping it will help me. my fingers aches during those period and I am a married adult and it is really affecting my social life .if you have any help I will be glad.

Google Asperger's syndrome. It might help
Re: My Phobia Story by JamieLannister: 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2016
i can relate. i suffer i mild one too, thank God its not as advanced as yours.
Re: My Phobia Story by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2016
I'll post my phobias in a little while.
Re: My Phobia Story by 0ubenji(m): 4:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
d33types:
OP, inasmuch I don't doubt your story,most persons on this thread confuse intense fear for phobia.
To make a diagnosis of a phobia is far more than a doctor asking you some set of questions.if the doctor isn't a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist I doubt it.

a phobia is more of a psychological problem that can be managed and overcome successfully with therapy.
Bro/sis...plz don't play needless lexical-semantics on the terms: "phobia" & "intense fear"..
they r 100% d same..
Phobia is an anxiety disorder that is bein triggered by INTENSE fear..(Which u inadvertently expressed alredi)
when d fear dat triggers d Anxiety is bein SEVERE .dat's wen it's medically termed a phobia..
However(as I suppose u meant to say), INTENSE DISLIKE is nt always synonymous with PHOBIA...
Dnt let me bother to decipher that to avoid digression..thanks

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by chronique(m): 4:53pm On Jun 30, 2016
I'm not certain o. Just assuming cos I don't seem to know anthing else that can cause that.
Rubyventures:

You are right, I feel it in my teeth .

Genetic disorder?! Ewo!! odikwa risky! grin grin
Re: My Phobia Story by ikombe: 4:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
i think i have brokeophobia

The fear of being broke undecided

I just hate being broke cry

But wait oh. Since march 2015 na im dis beta thread don dey and e never hit fp na im snake, tonto and boobs dey hit front page undecided . Lalasticlala dere is God oh angry
Re: My Phobia Story by Oloniyan(m): 4:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
Throughout my stay in badagry, I dare not visit any beach nor river. The last time I took my BAE to Erin Ijesha waterfall was the pick of it, come and see an adult shedding hot tears because she wanted us to take a picture in the fall.

Take me to a riverside or beach at your own peril because I might even drown at the bank. grin

I always got this feelings of drifting into oblivion whenever I'm at waterside or even DRINKING common water o.

All I know is that I am Marioking and I am Aquaphobic. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Phobia Story by ikombe: 4:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
0ubenji:

Bro/sis...plz don't play needless lexical-semantics on the terms: "phobia" & "intense fear"..
they r 100% d same..
Phobia is an anxiety disorder that is bein triggered by INTENSE fear..(Which u inadvertently expressed alredi)
when d fear dat triggers d Anxiety is bein SEVERE .dat's wen it's medically termed a phobia..
However(as I suppose u meant to say), INTENSE DISLIKE is nt always synonymous with PHOBIA...

Re: My Phobia Story by d33types: 5:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
0ubenji:

they r 100% d same..

the semantics is an issue here..phobia and intense fear are two different entities.
intense fear is not always synonymous with phobia. unfortunately many persons do not know. example most ladies say they have phobia for cockroaches when in reality what they have is just a deep general dislike.

intense fear/diskile is a subset of phobia but not necessarily the other way round.
fear can be managed by flooding(I'm sure you understand flooding is) but flooding may worsen phobia if not done properly.

going through this thread you see the misconception between fear and phobia. imagine somebody talking about brokeophobia..it's a very serious matter that some people downplay.
Re: My Phobia Story by elvision1(m): 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2016
saintdennis:
I have a phobia for homos (being around known homosexuals)

Yet the white men will criticise me for being homophobic? Why?

Don't I have the right to freedom of phobia ni? grin

my brother,the kind sense wey you make 4 here fit make murray bruce dash you silverbird.
Re: My Phobia Story by MizTyna(f): 5:29pm On Jun 30, 2016
I am very claustrophobic. It is so bad that reading the word makes my heart beat faster. Watching a movie and seeing someone locked up,removing a tight top or dress over my head,seating at the back of a coupe,it is crazy!
Re: My Phobia Story by elvision1(m): 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
MissSlimbody:
Please, is there anything like "food phobia"?
Most times I panic @the thought of food.

there are phobias of all kind, Just find what you fear and add Phobia to it and google.

But judging by your nick. you might be anorexic. With an obsession for physique.
Re: My Phobia Story by midasbliss(f): 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2016
I'm very this crazy phobia... Fear of crossing over gutters... Lol... being among people plus I'm claustrophobic...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Migrate And Work In The US & Canada As A Doctor Or Pharmacist / FG Challenges NMA To Public Debate. / How Can I Cure Clipper Bumps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.