Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,659 members, 7,816,688 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function (893 Views)

Nigerian Officials Snub Us-led Anti-corruption Groups / Breaking News:Former Nimasa Boss Spraying Foreign Currency At A Social Function / World - READ What UAE Told Nigerian Officials After Signing Agreement! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by akoaki(m): 11:20am On Mar 06, 2015
Over time, I have observed with dismay the way government officials in nigeria dress for duty as if attending a social function. If anyone looks very well across all nations, nigeria is presently the most well known for sluggish dressing amongst officials of government. I have always believed that the way you dress to your job may indicate your preparedness to do the job well.
Some may think it is our culture for politicians and government officials to appear the way they do , but people who dress smart in other countries have their traditional or cultural attires but they draw a line between culture, tradition and official functions.
At international fora you see our leaders and representatives struggling to fold their over-flowing gowns to fit into spaces provided.
Guys, what is your take on this.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2015
I completely agree

Our leaders should evolve to business suits for official engagements

Let's relegate cultural attires to social and cultural events

This may even help reduce this tension of tribalism, ethnicity and religion in our politics!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by deskossy(m): 11:39am On Mar 06, 2015
How do u want him to bring something he doesn't have?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by omonnakoda: 11:59am On Mar 06, 2015
We have cultural dress for work and ceremonial dress. Our politicians tend to wear ceremonial dress outside this does not equate to dressing for "social functions" . I think that is a silly conclusion. What purpose other than ceremonial does a neck tie or suit Jacket serve especially in Nigeria. A shirt and trouser would suffice for PURELY work reasons but a jacket and tie adds gravitas. Many remove jackets when they have serious work to do
. We have a lot of farmers and they do not weargowns to work. One can work very well in a dashiki and many other forms of African dress. We have short sleeve and long sleeve cutural dress even kaftans worn underneath the agbada are good for work and I imagine they remove their agbadas in the office
The solution is not " Business suits which have their limitations too . This should be a chalenge to our fashion designers. We can design our own solutions without reverting to suits. I disagree that business suits are the best "ERGONOMIC" solution for office work. Many people remove their jackets in the office anyway and the jacket serves a "Ceremonial" purpose in much the same way that an Agbada does. I think we need to be careful and wary of Colo mentality in any guise. Let them wear agabdas when they move about and remove them in the office. It is simple.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by akoaki(m): 12:01pm On Mar 06, 2015
mikeansy:
I completely agree

This may even help reduce this tension of tribalism, ethnicity and religion in our politics!

You made a very valid point but how can we create this awareness among ourselves. Do you know that a substantial part of our youth population still dont know that there is a correlation between smart dressing and productivity.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by akoaki(m): 12:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
[qu
ote author=deskossy post=31356118]How do u want him to bring something he doesn't have?[/quote]

What is the meaning of your post. Please explain further.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by deskossy(m): 12:51pm On Mar 06, 2015
akoaki:
[qu
ote author=deskossy post=31356118]How do u want him to bring something he doesn't have?

What is the meaning of your post. Please explain further.
ssorry op...i commented on d wrong post.i thought it was abt buhari not bringing his certificate from London. My bad
Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by millhouse: 1:42pm On Mar 06, 2015
on point!

mikeansy:
I completely agree

Re: Why Do Nigerian Officials Dress As If Going To Social Function by omonnakoda: 10:53pm On Mar 09, 2015
Look at what Fashola is wearing ; I would say that it is better suited to work than a shirt and tie

(1) (Reply)

AIT Wahala. / The People’ S Time Has Come The Commonsense Revolution Is Here / Comparing Cumulative Budgets Of OBJ And GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.